Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

What if I told you before the game Duggan would only have 124 passing yads for the game and we sacked him 5 times?

This team is so unpredictable. Texas has struggled in pass defense and finishing the pass rush for well over a month and no RB has gone for 100 this year on them. Jamison out in this game, of course they are dominant with pressure and coverage and give up 100+ to a RB. Even when they are great, it is in unpredictable ways 

11 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

This team is so unpredictable. Texas has struggled in pass defense and finishing the pass rush for well over a month and no RB has gone for 100 this year on them. Jamison out in this game, of course they are dominant with pressure and coverage and give up 100+ to a RB. Even when they are great, it is in unpredictable ways 

Most of that 100+ was one 75 yard play…a play that popped because of holding.

• Like 1

Let’s hope last night was a proof of concept for all the defensive recruits in attendance. I have to believe the offense will eventually come around as Ewers and the O-line mature and develop, but I had my doubts about this defense. Last night was a real encouraging sign for when we improve the talent level. 

16 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

when I heard Jamison was out I was actually relieved.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

Most of that 100+ was one 75 yard play…a play that popped because of holding.

Yes, but still 31 carries for 203 yards for the RBs.  Defense played great, just saying that it is almost impossible to predict this Texas team. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

On their TD pass, wth happened?

hard to tell. It was an out/post. Outside wr runs post and inside runs an out. Cb and Safety cover the out. This is the same concept that got Hutchinson wide open. Based on it being Cook and Brooks, I would likely say Brooks should have covered the post, but who knows. Either way Texas continues to have issues on this. I am not sure what the rule is for the Texas secondary. Guys like Narduzzi/Dantonio ran their aggressive cover 4 with the 10 yard rule, but they told the safety to make the CB right. 3 of the last 4 games Texas has had communication issues, so whatever the rule is it needs to be simplified. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

I get that, but in my recollection ball was in the air then the coverage busted. Cook/Brooks stopped playing. Receiver ran by them.

It looked like Brooks released Johnson to Cooks and he didn't pick him up. Texas appeared to be in zone and there were 2 receivers in the zone, Brooks took the out route and Cooks was supposed to have the middle. It wasn't a very well thrown ball IMHO, if cooks was eyeing the QB it would have been a 50/50 ball. My thoughts anyway.

Well, PK can say that the last two games his defense saved the day and almost saved the day. He can also say the defense has shown a ton of progress since the begining of last year. The offense on the other hand in second halves has been the way it is for two seasons now. The first half against TCU is a repeat of the Arkansas game. If Sark's plan is bad or stops working he is lost.

Edited by DanTheHorn

Saturday I was too ticked off at Texas to post, but PK deserves serious props for an incredible defensive performance. It does make you wonder if GP was heavily involved with Bama and TCU vs other games. I’m going to just assume PK got his shit together. 

As terrible as Saturday was, if this team could somehow put it all together they could be dangerous. But then Sark’s head coaching reputation has been not being able to do that.

The defense looking great is a pretty darn good positive to lessen the pain from Saturday and have some hope for the future  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Kansas QB's don't sit in the pocket that long and get the ball out quicker than tcu does. Sacks and negative yards will be much more difficult for the Horns defense this Saturday.

Jalon Daniels returning just made KU a much better running team and he feasts on short mid-range passing.  Probably gonna be like defending UTSA or Tech offense again. 

Get your liquor cabinets stocked up and your fridge full of beer for this game... Horns fans probably gonna need lots of alcohol this Saturday...  😋

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Rage+1 1

On 11/14/2022 at 9:09 AM, Eskimohorn said:

I get that, but in my recollection ball was in the air then the coverage busted. Cook/Brooks stopped playing. Receiver ran by them.

I don't think this is right at all.  I believe they messed up their assignments on Quarters coverage and both went for the out route, instead of one of them staying on the post. By the time the QB threw it, there was absolutely nothing either of them could do. It was a busted coverage, not a lack of effort or giving up on the play. 

On 11/14/2022 at 9:35 AM, JBJ said:

Brooks is supposed to stay on the post.

I refuse to go back and rewatch any part of that game, but my recollection is they were in quarters and the out route by #2 was deep enough that the safety should stay with him while the CB (Brooks) stays with #1 on the post. Brooks bit on the out route, likely not realizing that the stem was deep enough to keep the safety locked on #2. 

The ppg doesn't explain how bad the D was last year. They gave up 100 yard rushers just about every week. And it wasn't the kind of 100 yard rusher like Miller was against us last week. It was consistent gashes late in games that led to long drives and even more tired players giving up bigger runs.

We're controlling gaps on the regular this year, and the edge is holding up far more often than not. The confidence and coordination is starting to allow us to be more exotic and look like some of PKs UW defenses. They'll probably look better next year if they can figure out the interior DL and safety personnel.

• Hook 'Em 3

44 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

ThatlldoPKthatlldobabe.gif

E365D35D-F029-4683-B996-9B0081C4C492.jpeg

39 minutes ago, ousux said:
44 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:
E365D35D-F029-4683-B996-9B0081C4C492.thumb.jpeg.b6d249854f1c6f99f9aef7e2ef892094.jpeg

And doing this without any homerun portal additions is even more impressive.

All that is being done without a legit threat at EDGE yet..

Looking back on this, not getting Sanders was by far the biggest miss of the portal season for Texas..

• Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 12:49 PM, LTtxfan said:

Kansas QB's don't sit in the pocket that long and get the ball out quicker than tcu does. Sacks and negative yards will be much more difficult for the Horns defense this Saturday.

Jalon Daniels returning just made KU a much better running team and he feasts on short mid-range passing.  Probably gonna be like defending UTSA or Tech offense again. 

Get your liquor cabinets stocked up and your fridge full of beer for this game... Horns fans probably gonna need lots of alcohol this Saturday...  😋

This post aged well. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ousux said:
3 hours ago, The Earl of Texas said:
E365D35D-F029-4683-B996-9B0081C4C492.thumb.jpeg.b6d249854f1c6f99f9aef7e2ef892094.jpeg

Im.hoping we will see what Jim Knowles did at OK State.  Was pretty bad year 1, improved in year 2, and in year 3 and 4 they were a high rated unit nationally (believe top 10 last year).

• Like 1

At this point I’m firmly on board the S.S. Continuity for the defensive staff. The improvement has been clear and linear, not just year to year but through this season. Lots of reason to think another year with this staff and some development of people like Collins and Barron things will be humming. There are still some baffling game plans but fundamentals and confidence/aggression are clearly in place. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I’m here to eat crow.  Defense sucked a dick last year.  Sark wouldn’t deny that.

Defense has gotten pretty darn good.  Great performance last couple of weeks. Seems like they are diagnosing plays better.  Last week it seemed like they almost knew the play when the ball was snapped.

Ford and Barron are studs.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, ousux said:
8 hours ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Ryan Watts has definitely been a homerun portal addition. He could definitely leave for early for the NFL draft grade he gets.

Edited by TheMailBox357

1 hour ago, Lhorn said:

I’m here to eat crow.  Defense sucked a dick last year.  Sark wouldn’t deny that.

Defense has gotten pretty darn good.  Great performance last couple of weeks. Seems like they are diagnosing plays better.  Last week it seemed like they almost knew the play when the ball was snapped.

Ford and Barron are studs.  

There seems to have been a revelation at the end of the KSU game along the lines of “…maybe we suck at sit back and take it defense and we have some hosses at DT so maybe we should like try and dictate a bit more to the offense.”

It’s working. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Pretty much after the OSU debacle the defense has played really really well. I like where this side of the ball is headed. Ford, Barron, Watts, Coburn all seem like guys with NFL futures.

We need to restock the dline find an edge,  fix our weaknesses at safety and at any linebacker not named Ford. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?