Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

34 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Pretty much after the OSU debacle the defense has played really really well. I like where this side of the ball is headed. Ford, Barron, Watts, Coburn all seem like guys with NFL futures.

injuries and lack of depth killed us against OkSt. And Kitan Crawford doing Kitan Crawford things.

• Like 3

Pretty much after the OSU debacle the defense has played really really well. I like where this side of the ball is headed. Ford, Barron, Watts, Coburn all seem like guys with NFL futures.

You should keep in mind that OSU had 18 possessions. KU had 10. Alabama 11. Tech 10. ISU 9. KSU 11.

If you are referencing the OSU defense as a debacle, that is a bit misleading. And we had 19 offensive possessions versus OSU.

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Out of curiosity what is your metric to say Ford is so much better than Overshown?

3 ints to zero. 2 ff to zero. 2 fumble recoveries to 0. 55 solo tackles to 42.  2 sacks to 3 despite Overshown spending much of his time playing on the edge. Basically, all of them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

That’s not a metric shithead. Wasn’t looking for a smartass answer.

In yesterdays game Ford got the pick but do you know who rushed the QBs throw? I’m guessing you don’t and probably don’t give a shit cause you were “watching the game.”

I don’t give a shit what you were looking for, fuckface. You asked a stupid question that is blindingly obvious to anyone with eyes. 

I don’t give a shit what you were looking for, fuckface. You asked a stupid question that is blindingly obvious to anyone with eyes. 

Yes, stats are obvious. Certain stats anyway. But someone’s perspective on the game can differ. Overshown has been quite good in several games.

I do like that Overshowns depth of tackle in the run game has decreased from 3.8 last year to 2.6 this year. I am a little disappointed in his lack of big plays relative to years past but think he’s generally under appreciated.

26 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Yes, stats are obvious. Certain stats anyway. But someone’s perspective on the game can differ. Overshown has been quite good in several games.

I do like that Overshowns depth of tackle in the run game has decreased from 3.8 last year to 2.6 this year. I am a little disappointed in his lack of big plays relative to years past but think he’s generally under appreciated.

Overshown hasn't been bad. But he is one dimensional. His coverage is lackluster. He isn't that great at rushing the passer. He does well diagnosing run plays and in pursuit. I expected more of a jump from him this year and lack of it is partially responsible for the weakness in the middle of our pass defense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Stopping by to give PK props. I was very negative on him, but he’s got the D going the right direction. Let’s keep it going. 

Stringing together a great game and a pretty good game is definitive improvement. Finishing with two games with well above average performances would be evidence that that a corner has been turned. 

It still looks to my eye like a decision was made to get after offenses quite a bit more starting in Manhattan, and it has paid off in spades so far. 

I temper that with the fact that Daniels basically never tried to run the ball, and that offense isn’t built around an immobile QB being nifty in the pocket.

But it does feel like PK and company have met the players half way to where they’re at and found a groove.

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

5 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Stringing together a great game and a pretty good game is definitive improvement. Finishing with two games with well above average performances would be evidence that that a corner has been turned. 

It still looks to my eye like a decision was made to get after offenses quite a bit more starting in Manhattan, and it has paid off in spades so far. 

I temper that with the fact that Daniels basically never tried to run the ball, and that offense isn’t built around an immobile QB being nifty in the pocket.

But it does feel like PK and company have met the players half way to where they’re at and found a groove.

I don't think we are bringing more pressure than before. Our coverage is just holding up better the last two games. Not having to play Crawford or Taeffe really helps. 

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I don't think we are bringing more pressure than before. Our coverage is just holding up better the last two games. Not having to play Crawford or Taeffe really helps. 

It’s definitive to my eye. We don’t go quarters at a time sitting back in cover 4 with the occasional cat blitzes as our heater anymore. Sark even mentioned how aggressively PK called the end of the game against KSU in his press conference, and that looked to continue against TCU.

Overshown hasn't been bad. But he is one dimensional. His coverage is lackluster. He isn't that great at rushing the passer. He does well diagnosing run plays and in pursuit. I expected more of a jump from him this year and lack of it is partially responsible for the weakness in the middle of our pass defense. 

His coverage is disappointing. He’s a drop to a spot guy rather than anticipating routes. Fords improved quite a bit here. I’ve started to think of stats in a different manner a bit. Partly because more info is available.

Interceptions is one. DMO had a couple two years ago. Is he suddenly worse at pass d or was it a matter of circumstance? Obviously there’s something to be said for right place, right time. Years ago, we had a dude pick off 3 passes in a game. As best I recall, he had no others in his career in which he played a lot for 4 years. Hard to credit him with great ball skills or anticipation based on that. Fords pick yesterday was easily his best in my opinion - flow with coverage and not come off it like he and DMO are prone to do, and it wasn’t the easiest catch either. But it was his least important one to date.

Forced fumbles. Outside of DJ, that’s very similar. The Cook caused fumble versus ISU was great and incredibly important. Game clinching even. But it’s not like he’s showing a propensity for that.

Your comment on solo tackles is interesting. I’m not sure how to feel about that really. I typically include all of them. I do think that depth of tackle quoted may be based on solo tackles.

23 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

That was, by far, the best the defense has played in a road game this year. Another sign of progress.

Run Defense has vastly approved. Bo Davis and crew are getting in the MFer.

When Ford plays well, the defense plays well. When Ford gets stuck in mud, the defense is a bit off.

I'm satisfied with the current trajectory of the front 7.

DBs are getting better. It always takes the DBs time to understand how to elevate to the level of game. Hopefully, we recruit well enough that we're not rolling out freshmen DBs every year.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

The defense against the quick pass to a sideline where one or more receivers block for another receiver who catches the ball behind the line of scrimmage has never been better.   It’s been impressive to watch. 

There was a play last week where one of the DBs split two blockers on a WR screen and made the tackle.  Basically a 1 on 3 and made the tackle for a loss I think.  I think it was Barron but not sure about that.  Tackling has generally been really good. 

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Surely we have enough NIL money to get an edge rusher in the portal

Sorrell has really shown a lot of improvement this year. If Finkley can do the same in year two, that will be great. Not sure what's happening to DJ Harris. He has the length and is really smart. Is he hurt? We also add Vasek and Gullette, they will need to hit the weight room, but they both have explosiveness. 

But, yeah, there's room at safety and edge to look for some portal depth.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

The defense against the quick pass to a sideline where one or more receivers block for another receiver who catches the ball behind the line of scrimmage has never been better.   It’s been impressive to watch. 

We were decent at this last year, but it felt more like individual efforts.  There are plays this year with 3-4 guys getting there immediately.  Even when the corner blows it up right away there are other hats coming in hot.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Why am I so nervous about being able to replace Sweat and Colburn next year?   People keep talking about EDGE but EDGE doesn’t matter if opposing teams can run it up the cut.  Am I wrong here?

I am with you. Texas has a huge luxury this year. They are not forced to play the DTs 50 plays. Bringing a a grown man at DT has to be a priority. 

Why am I so nervous about being able to replace Sweat and Colburn next year?   People keep talking about EDGE but EDGE doesn’t matter if opposing teams can run it up the cut.  Am I wrong here?

Yes and No. Ojomo is important too.

But guys progress. I see discussions now that guys are improving.

But I’ll also ask you this. Strong and Herman both had solid defenses at one point. Why? Because they had quality upperclass players. Murphy can be a playmaker. Broughton and Collins can turn into those upperclass guys they will be. It’ll be year 3 of the same system, the same instruction. It is their time. Then you got some younger guys who will be asked to kick in a few plays but not carry the burden.

Sorrell and Ovie play the lions share of snaps. The other guys rotate on the inside. Rotation on the inside is critical. Give me what you’ve got. Every play. We’ve got older guys with some talent. Only time will tell if they put it together but Coburn and Sweat were kinda questions at this time last year. Ojomo just played the run.

It’s reasonable to have hope.
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, SKA the boss said:

Sorrell has really shown a lot of improvement this year. If Finkley can do the same in year two, that will be great. Not sure what's happening to DJ Harris. He has the length and is really smart. Is he hurt? We also add Vasek and Gullette, they will need to hit the weight room, but they both have explosiveness. 

But, yeah, there's room at safety and edge to look for some portal depth.

Agree on Sorrell.  He's going to be the primary edge rusher moving forward.  Ovie is being asked to read-pop, glance, spy, etc more often than he's directly rushing, which is fine for his skill set.  I can see guys like Burke, Walton, and Gullette being used the same way depending on how they develop.  I think we have edges on our roster, but that's not saying that we can't grab the right guy from the portal.

15 minutes ago, stork642 said:

You aren't wrong.  But Murphy and Broughton are rotating in often without noticeable drop off and should be good next year. It's that the next crop of DT2s are redshirting, so only the coaches know how that's going.  Collins is solid depth even if he's not the superstar we want him to be.

I'd be prioritizing a portal LB.  We are losing a lot, and there's not much depth there to begin with.  I don't think a 5* freshmen LB fully solves the issue, either.

DB is another spot where the backups drop off quite a bit from starters.  We have young talent there, but they've been tested and failed quite a bit this year.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/19/2022 at 5:52 PM, ousux said:
On 11/19/2022 at 5:47 PM, The Earl of Texas said:
ThatlldoPKthatlldobabe.gif
E365D35D-F029-4683-B996-9B0081C4C492.thumb.jpeg.b6d249854f1c6f99f9aef7e2ef892094.jpeg

And doing this without any homerun portal additions is even more impressive.

I’d call Watts a home run portal addition, and the reason we didn’t get another is largely due to PK doing a poor job recruiting so I’m not sure that’s a huge credit to him. 

On 11/20/2022 at 3:16 AM, Bobby_Batronic said:

There seems to have been a revelation at the end of the KSU game along the lines of “…maybe we suck at sit back and take it defense and we have some hosses at DT so maybe we should like try and dictate a bit more to the offense.”

It’s working. 

Yep. There’s been a big change in aggressiveness the last two games. Those combined with Bama have been our best performances, and I’d say those have been the three most aggressive defenses called. I’m hopeful it’s something PK has figured out and not just a fluke. 

On 11/20/2022 at 11:24 AM, Dahobbs said:

It’s not just about blitzing. Our guys are playing more aggressive coverages. There’s nowhere near as much off coverage as other games where we’ve been picked apart. It’s a very distinct difference. 

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s not just about blitzing. Our guys are playing more aggressive coverages. There’s nowhere near as much off coverage as other games where we’ve been picked apart. It’s a very distinct difference. 

Yup. We’re not content to sit back and demonstrate our ineptitude at playing two high zone anymore. I don’t know if a revelation was had, Sark maybe put his foot down or PK just said F it and let’s ball. There’s very little catch defense being played by our guys at the moment. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

This defense depends on creating a wall on the interior with the DTs and ILB’s. The improvement of the interior DT’s and Ford alone in those roles has made them just plain confident, setting that tone physically and mentally. That allows PK to dial up more blitzes and let the secondary be more aggressive. This plays well into the roles they should be playing, keys they should be reading, and allowing their jobs to be more straightforward - less thinking, more read-and-react. It is almost a complete opposite of last year - where the middle of the defense could be easily gashed - and this creates all kinds of havoc with something as simple as calling a blitz or press coverage.

Hell, Barron is playing with more confidence. Mo Blackwell seems to be making strides and getting more run at Will. A lot of it seems to be just having actual playing time in the system, some seems to be out of necessity - Barron moving around the secondary.

Still think the D needs an EDGE/Buck, a DT, a Will, and a safety from the portal. I suppose that the development of Collins and Broughton (maybe?), and the staff’s thoughts on Lefau and Hill curtail that some.

1 minute ago, bigcigar said:

A few good performances so far this year. This game is not one. Fucking charmin soft on money downs

21 minutes on field in 1st half has destroyed the Texas defense.  Coverage on underneath short passes as been poor, and no pressure on baylor QB.

Just a disaster 1st half

This PK coached defense is so bafflling. They are back to living on the field for the entire half, which gives the offense fewer touches. I don't see how they can play so helter skelter from week to week. We'd seen steady improvement the last two weeks. They weren't completely horrible in the first half, but allowing those long drives like they did earlier this season is a killer.

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

This PK coached defense is so bafflling. They are back to living on the field for the entire half, which gives the offense fewer touches. I don't see how they can play so helter skelter from week to week. We'd seen steady improvement the last two weeks. They weren't completely horrible in the first half, but allowing those long drives like they did earlier this season is a killer.

The PK D expects you to get enough pressure that they have to throw somewhat quick on 3rd and long. If you cant get to the QB (either through lack of talent and/or massive holding) they have time to flood the zone and get the long pickups (especially when our guys are very bad at zone D right now).

We need a real EDGE and this D would look outstanding. If you have to consistently account for a rusher means less guys in the pattern and/or getting the ball out quickly.

• Hook 'Em 7

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?