Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

5 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

There's a stat I've seen referenced here a few times but I can't remember exactly what it is.

Didn't Pete K's defenses average allowing less than 19 pts/ game almost every year he was at UW?

I thought Louisiana's point total yesterday was interesting considering that stat, if I'm remembering correctly.

You could tell that PK got sorta annoyed at Napier trying to do everything he could to score one more time late when we were sitting in pretty basic coverages. All of the sudden we started to send more pressure and do a some presnap disguising as they were getting close to the end zone and Napier kept calling timeouts.

That is a guy that cares about giving up points (even when a contest is decided) and therefore we should see way less garbage time scores against the backups.

That is something we haven’t seen in a long time…

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Interesting how PK seems to have a plan on how to build his defense through the season... 

Thx for this @satyanash 

Scipio Tex.         PKs Defense vs Louisiana

The Texas defense rotated players like it was a Spring game and they were being taught to play basic team defense out of the install packages. I counted at least 20 players playing major snaps early and another half dozen added to the mix as the score widened.

So what was that about? Finding out what the staff has? Program building? The best practical approach for depth? Or maybe Texas has a large number of above average defenders, many of them suited to certain roles, each with specific strengths and skill sets, so play them all, play them in the right situations, and throw them at the opponent in waves. Playing everyone was a depth builder and a sorting mechanism - who can execute what the coaches teach in game situations? Who emerges over time while the staff also builds an experienced roster that shrugs off graduation each year? Will Texas see a tighter rotation as the season progresses in the secondary? I'm curious to find out myself.

Texas held a veteran Louisiana offense under 200 yards for 3 quarters and the Cajuns were 0-6 on 3rd down attempts before compiling some yardage in the final quarter. Texas held Louisiana to 4 of 13 overall on 3rd down and 76 rushing yards. The longest completion from their 282 passing yards went for 26 yards. The game plan was pretty clearly about stifling big plays and avoiding risk. The result? 18 points on the board. Louisiana didn't score less than 20 in any game they played last year.

Texas played solid defense and the mistakes in player execution and coaching calls over the course of the game can be counted on a hand. I've watched some recent Texas defenses provide that on a single drive. A call Pete might like to have back was when Texas got outnumbered in the run game on Chris Smith's 27 yard TD scamper. Texas also played a bit more off coverage than we'll see in coming weeks, but I'm guessing that's a base call that Kwiatkowski is trying to teach his charges. 

Overall

Like the offense, the Texas defense and special teams looked prepared and pretty well coached. Unlike the offense, Kwiatkowski played everyone on the two deep. Let's see how that depth choice plays out over the course of the season. I'll preview the challenge that QB KJ Jefferson's legs and the Hog running game present on Saturday, but if the game plan is what I anticipate, expect a little ramp up in pressure and complexity in Fayetteville. 

On 9/5/2021 at 8:28 AM, Laxtonto said:

You could tell that PK got sorta annoyed at Napier trying to do everything he could to score one more time late when we were sitting in pretty basic coverages. All of the sudden we started to send more pressure and do a some presnap disguising as they were getting close to the end zone and Napier kept calling timeouts.

That is a guy that cares about giving up points (even when a contest is decided) and therefore we should see way less garbage time scores against the backups.

That is something we haven’t seen in a long time…

I assume you're referring to garbage time here

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 9/5/2021 at 9:22 AM, LTtxfan said:

Have to get more pressure and sacks and generate more turnovers.

Overall nice in game adjustments from PK -- only giving up 18pts to a good Louisiana team is great...  🤘

I think in yesterday’s game and they were just trying to keep that quarterback contained. They were really mindful of their rushing lanes and closing the pocket in on him rather than trying to hard to get sex and let him get out on his patented runs.

On 4/16/2021 at 10:34 PM, TexMexBuddha said:
On 4/16/2021 at 6:19 PM, LTtxfan said:

Interesting that Choate said he grew up in South Austin, and brought $5 tickets to see Earl play at Memorial Stadium -- never heard that tie into Austin, and Texas before. emoji869.png 

I was one of those $5 knothole buying, Earl Campbell-watching kids, so this hits close to home. And he's our LB coach. What's not to like?

Me too!

• Like 2

Overall, I liked seeing sound defense.  I only remember one really bad play where #33 was hesitant, then made a false step and got beat on a long run...  But he made a bunch of plays late, so I pretty much let go of the mistake.

I was concerned about some runs straight up the gut... We'll see if that gets cleaned up or becomes an issue...

Overall, I am pleased.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I was most pleased with the D.  Louisiana was a decent O.  Our O better be good because Sark is the coach and all the rules are set up for offense.  D improvement can take this team to the right level.

I look forward to the day that we have to shut down all the calls to "Name the Defense".

Edited by dcar00

Dunn is a physical tackler.  Still wondering about the secondary after game 1. 

Not sure if arky will try to throw a lot.  At times, Rice was able to throw the ball effectively on Saturday so hopefully that will help prep the TEXAS passing defense for the Tech game...

On 9/8/2021 at 3:24 PM, LTtxfan said:

Not sure if arky will try to throw a lot.  At times, Rice was able to throw the ball effectively on Saturday so hopefully that will help prep the TEXAS passing defense for the Tech game...

I'm sure Briles will try to get them to take shots downfield and run both. Arky fans say the QB has the arm for deep throws. Whether he can put it on the money consistently is a question.

I expect Coach K will have the D playing contain with maybe some strategic blitzes.

Wasn't that impressed last week as the Cajuns dropped a couple of 3rd down conversions. But 1st game, so whatever.

This is bullshit though. I don't think Arkansas is doing anything fancy with Tyrone Swoopes Jr out there. So I'm not sure what the hell we were doing. Definitely don't understand leaving middle of the field open for him to run. We saw enough of that shit last year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

defense couldn't stop them from the word go with a qb that can't throw, how the fuck is that fine?

I really don't think Surly Shaggy understands complimentary football...

I could be wrong, but didn't the Defense hold short field to FGA 3x and a TD?

Offense was terrible.

Dicker was terrible. 

Badly missed FG and a dropped snap... Those were points for Arkansas. Defense held them to 6.

Defense would be ok if the Head Coach QB picker would have let the QB who moves the team actually try to move the team.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Offense was terrible.

Dicker was terrible. 

Badly missed FG and a dropped snap... Those were points for Arkansas. Defense held them to 6.

Defense would be ok if the Head Coach QB picker would have let the QB who moves the team actually try to move the team.

Because it’s a bullshit excuse. Those guys quit. Same players on the field doing the same fight every damn play. One side folded

1 minute ago, bigcigar said:

Arky was 100% run and we couldn’t stop them. Absolutely embarrassing. Among the most embarrassing defensive performances I’ve witnessed 

The personnel was very puzzling as well. Maybe PK just had no option, but at one point we had an edge guy that reminded me of Hager get pushed and ragdolled. I think our guy was 43. I’m not exactly sure why we didn’t go heavy up front and stopped getting pushed off the ball. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Offense was terrible.

Dicker was terrible. 

Just to reiterate, you don’t get a pat on the back because you win most of the first 20 of 47 battles if you get knocked the fuck out the next 27.

5 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

The personnel was very puzzling as well. Maybe PK just had no option, but at one point we had an edge guy that reminded me of Hager get pushed and ragdolled. I think our guy was 43. I’m not exactly sure why we didn’t go heavy up front and stopped getting pushed off the ball. 

J Bush? Some may be confusing him with Brockermeyer.  Teams run at Bush every time he goes in, dating back to Colorado.

Edited by Hmmm

8 minutes ago, Grandioso said:

These numbers are insane:

CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
Trelon Smith 12 75 6.3 1 22
KJ Jefferson 10 73 7.3 0 34
AJ Green 7 67 9.6 1 30
Raheim Sanders 8 50 6.3 1 26
Dominique Johnson 6 44 7.3 1 19
Malik Hornsby 1 29 29.0 0 29
Josh Oglesby 1 2 2.0 0 2
Team 2 -7 -3.5 0 0
TEAM 47 333 7.1 4 34

Just really absorb what is going on here. Six different guys broke off 20+ yard runs. This is EA Sports Playstation shit. I don't think we could do this to any team in the FBS.

1 minute ago, Hmmm said:

J Bush? Some may be confusing him with Brockermeyer.  Teams run at Bush every time he goes in, dating back to Colorado.

Yeah pretty sure it was Jett. It made no sense to me, but when we made that sub, Briles went hurry up and we were fucked.

I would have liked to see a front line of Ojomo, Coburn, Sweat and Collins to try and slow down  how much we were pushed and gapped out. We just had no answer in the 2nd half

• Hook 'Em 1

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?