Abolish the Fax

'stache

Seriously, why is this still a thing? I can think of a dozen ways to send documents or files in a more efficient and workable fashion. Twice this week already I've faced issues with fax machines. My new mortgage company has to fax the form for auto debit but my office fax system isn't working right. I can't get a hold of a human to talk to  for a request to just fucking email it or even snail mail. Now on another deal someone faxed something that isn't legible so I'm having to go through multiple channels to get that person to fucking email it, which I thought was going to happen in the first place. Again, why...the...fuck...do...these...things...still...exist?

• Hook 'Em 6

Is there a petition? Where do I sign? 

I have a business unit I support that claims that it is a requirement.

So fucking worthless.

My GF just bought a new MFP for the house and her son set it up for her. He found a telephone cable in the box and plugged it into an actual landline port in the wall and tried to fax. He was fiddling with it for like an hour and not telling me what he was doing. He finally asked me if we would ever fax anything and I said "absolutely not". He showed me that he had plugged it all in and was trying to test it and couldn't figure out why it was not working. I had to inform him that the "tiny ethernet port" that he plugged into was an old landline phone jack that had not been active since he has been alive. He looked at me and asked "what is a landline?".

Edited by Orange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

19 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

tenor (3).gif

I was allowed JUST LAST WEEK to decommission a virtual server running Server 2003 and a legacy RMS in an Informix db. The thing would barely even run in our VM environment anymore, could only be accessed by RDP and had a single local admin user. It housed a bunch of records that spanned from 1999 to 2003.

I first tried to decom this POS back in 2010 but the legal people and the records retention people would not let me.

It took a $75k conversion project that lasted four years, plus paying someone to scan and catalog 37 boxes of documents before they'd let me finally pull the plug.

When I sent the email out informing everyone that it was finally gone, I included this exact gif and two of the recipients didn't understand why I included it.

Edited by Orange&White
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Seriously, why is this still a thing? I can think of a dozen ways to send documents or files in a more efficient and workable fashion. Twice this week already I've faced issues with fax machines. My new mortgage company has to fax the form for auto debit but my office fax system isn't working right. I can't get a hold of a human to talk to  for a request to just fucking email it or even snail mail. Now on another deal someone faxed something that isn't legible so I'm having to go through multiple channels to get that person to fucking email it, which I thought was going to happen in the first place. Again, why...the...fuck...do...these...things...still...exist?

how can your office fax system not be working right? its a phone line and a fax machine.

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

how can your office fax system not be working right? its a phone line and a fax machine.

It is somehow connected to my email address, so it doesn't come through the physical fax machine, it shows up in my email as a pdf. Unless it doesn't. I haven't checked in years but apparently it hasn't been working for a long ass time. I had no idea until the mortgage thing came up and the system says it was faxed but I wasn't receiving it. As far as I can recall, all I ever got on that damn thing was flyers for timeshares in Mexico.

Edited by 'stache

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

It is somehow connected to my email address, so it doesn't come through the physical fax machine, it shows up in my email as a pdf. Unless it doesn't. I haven't checked in years but apparently it hasn't been working for a long ass time. I had no idea until the mortgage thing came up and the system says it was faxed but I wasn't receiving it. As far as I can recall, all I ever got on that damn thing was flyers for timeshares in Mexico.

sounds like an IT operational issue. its not that complicated but do send us video of you destroying said fax machine

My retired father still uses a fax machine.  Conversation last week:

Hey, I just read this really interesting article, you should take a look at it.  What’s your fax number?

where did you read it?

on the internet

text me a link then

faxing it is just easier

easier?

yes easier.

ok i guess.  What’s the name of the article?   I’ll find it myself

(Tells me name of article) Do you still want me to fax it to you?

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I am a litigator.  Some of the last bastion of fax users.  I have not sent or received a fax, even by email, in years. Some people in finance like them.  Claim they are more secure.

When I first started practicing, they were ubiquitous and such a pain in the ass.  And a lot of our clients wouldn't let us email privileged stuff.

A lot of law firms still listed a telex on their letterhead too, for international communications.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

It depends. Sometimes if I'm busy as hell and a dealership has a fax number on their purchase order it's quicker to throw that and my bank lien info in the fax machine rather than scanning them in and sending an email. Generally though yes fuck the fax.

Edited by SimonBolivar

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Claim they are more secure.

Several years ago, I had a fax to email #.  One day I got, via email a fax a producer on the Dr. Phil show thought she had sent to her mortgage company.  I was really shocked at how little she made.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

I am a litigator.  Some of the last bastion of fax users.  I have not sent or received a fax, even by email, in years. Some people in finance like them.  Claim they are more secure.

I'm a litigator too. Our firm is in a standoff over our new business cards. Half of us want to remove our fax numbers, half seem to think there is some rule requiring fax numbers on business cards, but no one has been able to show me that rule yet. I know that federal rules allow service by email if all counsel agree, and we do that often, except we agree that service is only valid if the recipient responds and acknowledges receipt. 

27 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

It depends. Sometimes if I'm busy as hell and a dealership has a fax number on their purchase order it's quicker to throw that and my bank lien info in the fax machine rather than scanning them in and sending an email. Generally though yes fuck the fax.

Fargo_128Pyxurz.jpg

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I'd rather get a fax than crappy jpegs of a ten page document.  People that don't have access to scanners are worse than people that want to send a fax.  I got a fax last week as a matter of fact.  

You know if you fax a piece of heavy duty tinfoil, you'll go back in time.

• Hook 'Em 2

My fax number, (needed for dealing with the IRS), used to belong to a pharmacy. Every time I got a fax from a doctor's office, I would call them to let them know about their mistake. If they were rude or I couldn't reach them, I'd report them for the HIPAA violation. DHS would follow up with a letter listing the penalty, which was usually remedial education.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I'm a litigator too. Our firm is in a standoff over our new business cards. Half of us want to remove our fax numbers, half seem to think there is some rule requiring fax numbers on business cards, but no one has been able to show me that rule yet. I know that federal rules allow service by email if all counsel agree, and we do that often, except we agree that service is only valid if the recipient responds and acknowledges receipt. 

I always make an agreement that any service by email is effective early in a case.  I do have some people that want to specify email service after 5 is deemed service the next day.  I’ll agree to that.  Doesn’t matter to me.  

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

Show him one of these and blow his mind!

Atari 830 300 Baud Acoustic Coupler Modem - General Discussion - Code Self  Study Forum

Say what you want, but if we had to really think about the time we spend on the internet, it would be a better place.

Like:  You have 45 minutes on the internet, you can choose to do only one of the following:

• Post a few times in a thread about firing Mackovic
  • Post your ANSI masterpiece recreating the scoreboard fireworks display from the Astrodome
  • Defend your thread about how cassette tapes are better than CDs.
  • Post a 320x200 image of Sela Ward from Sisters, or Dana Delany from China Beach
  • Post a 320x200 image of Erika Eleniak in a swimsuit, or Tiffani Amber Thiessen in one of those teen magazines
  • Post the Anarchist's Cookbook for the 1,498th time.
  • Post what you claim is a cracked copy of Whacky Wheels, but is in fact an uncracked copy of Civilization, and you are hoping nobody will download it and find out, because you are just trying to get around the upload-download ratio the board put in.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Airmail, cassettes, postcards, telex
Drop me a line need my grapevine
I'm always trying to reach you
Can't get through
Our communication depends on me and you
Got to stay in touch even though you're on the move
Keep your lines open say what's new
Exchange the facts
Keep in contact
I keep on trying to call you but I can't get through
Our communication must get through
Communication
Don't hang up
Communication
Keep in touch
Communication
Don't put me on hold
Situation
Soul to soul

Edited by Steel Shank
  • Hook 'Em 2

Hello, how are you?
Have you been alright
Through all those lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely nights?
That's what I'd say, I'd tell you everything
If you'd pick up that telephone
Yeah, yeah, yeah

Hey, how're you feelin'?
Are you still the same?
Don't you realise the things we did, we did, were all for real?
Not a dream
I just can't believe they've all faded out of view
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Ooh-ooh-ooh
I look into the sky
(The love you need ain't gonna see you through)
And I wonder why
(The little things you planned ain't coming true)

Oh, oh, telephone line, give me some time
I'm living in twilight
I'm living in twilight

Okay, so no one's answering
Well, can't you just let it ring a little longer, longer, longer
Oh, I'll just sit tight
In shadows of the night
Let it ring forevermore, oh-woh
Yeah, yeah, yeah

I look into the sky
(The love you need ain't gonna see you through)
And I wonder why
(The little things you planned ain't coming true)
I'm living in twilight
I'm living in twilight
I'm living in twilight
I'm living in twilight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77R1Wp6Y_5Y

In an old job I used to have to manage the secure/encrypted faxes.  I went through several iterations of them from all in one devices to separate encryption and fax machine.  The early ones you had to run down and pull the current key tape through a reader and later ones just had an encryption key that you locked up when not in use.

The process had you answer the call in the clear, go to encrypted voice, then flip to data.

Oh the good old days.

16 hours ago, elfenix said:

This. In the PT world, just within the past couple of years have physicians offices started using email type programs to receive and send Plans of Care for their patients. It’s been mostly through faxing documents. It’s been a transition from fax machines at a glacial pace. 

I still see a lot of faxes in my line of work.  Some vendors still send out order acknowledgements and invoices via an automated fax.....I guess they're still running legacy software on an AS400 or the like.  Others allow you to opt in or out with the choice of fax or email.  

We have several old-school clients who hand write PO's and fax them.  Not ideal but doesn't bother me.  It is somewhat comical that they often email and ask if I got the fax, when they could have sent a .pdf or simply typed the order into the body of the email from the start.

For those of us who started in business pre fax machines, when all order/invoicing was done via mail and on 3-part paper, the fax machine doesn't appear to be such a dinosaur as it was still days faster than the old way.  But, I can see how someone who has always worked in an instant communication era would find the fax to be a pain in the ass.

Bear in mind that we used to add long distance charges to orders in the event we had to (gasp) make a phone call regarding an order, instead of all correspondence being via USPS.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

My retired father still uses a fax machine.  Conversation last week:

Hey, I just read this really interesting article, you should take a look at it.  What’s your fax number?

where did you read it?

on the internet

text me a link then

faxing it is just easier

easier?

yes easier.

ok i guess.  What’s the name of the article?   I’ll find it myself

(Tells me name of article) Do you still want me to fax it to you?

Of course, if you've left out the part that he sounds like he first prints out many (all?) of the things he reads on the internet.

In speaking with my company's website content team, they were designing the page buttons to allow people to easily share the page URL via social media. They've made the decision to also include a button for printing the content page. This is a team of young people that have probably never printed an internet article but they have the analytics that plenty of people do print the articles. So we have a print button because that is what our audience wants.  smh.

17 hours ago, 'stache said:

Business Cards? Now there's a nice holdover from the Ancient Days.

Your firm shouldn't worry about business cards until they settle which sort of dress swords you all should wear.

• Haha 3