TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

• 2 weeks later...

Sam Ehlinger on Texas QB Hudson Card: ‘Hudson is just a special player’

The Lake Travis product doesn’t have the experience of Casey Thompson, but he’s known as a natural around the Longhorns program.

By Wescott Eberts@SBN_Wescott  Feb 25, 2021, 5:07pm 

Entering the 2020 season, Texas Longhorns senior Sam Ehlinger was one of the nation’s most accomplished quarterbacks, ultimately finishing his career as one of three FBS players to ever throw for 11,000 career yards and rush for more than 1,500 yards, among other accomplishments that left his name dotting the school record book.

But at times during practice, Ehlinger was left as awe struck as a middle schooler watching his idol. All thanks to the ability of a freshman quarterback who committed to Texas before he’d even taken over as the Lake Travis starter.  Such is the talent of Hudson Card, the second-year quarterback who signed with the Longhorns as the No. 2 dual-threat quarterback in the 2020 recruiting class and will compete with Casey Thompson this spring for the starting job vacated by Ehlinger’s declaration for the 2021 NFL Draft.

“Gosh darn it, why can’t I throw the ball like that?” Ehlinger asked himself during practice watching Card.  “Why can’t I spin it the way you can?” Ehlinger asked the younger quarterback.

Despite spending his sophomore season at Lake Travis catching passes from Ohio State signee Matthew Baldwin, Card transitioned quickly and seemingly easily to the starting role, throwing for more than 3,500 yards and 50 touchdowns against only four interceptions. Lake Travis made it to the state semifinals before losing to Galena Park North Shore.

To hear Ehlinger tell it, Card is simply a natural at the quarterback position.  “Hudson is just a special player — there’s really no other way to put it,” Ehlinger said this week. “He came out of the womb spinning the football.”

Card has already earned a reputation around the Texas football program. Last fall, Ehlinger called him the “golden boy” and recounted how the rest of the quarterback room teased Card for always doing quarterback drills perfectly.  And while new Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian won’t utilize Card’s athleticism as a runner like Lake Travis did, his ability to extend plays to make throws down the field or scramble for key yardage should be a strength.

Like everyone else who saw Casey Thompson get the first extensive playing time of his career in the Alamo Bowl against Colorado, new Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian was impressed as he watched the game live. Thompson went 8-of-10 passing for 170 yards and four touchdowns despite playing barely more than a quarter.

But as much as Sarkisian liked Thompson’s performance, he also recalled already doing his research on Card.  “I had to remind myself that when I got into really looking at this job, I did a real extensive eval on Hudson Card,” Sarkisian said on The Audible podcast. “And then I got here and heard a lot of the similar same things you’ve been hearing, so I feel like we’re in good hands in the short-term future; I feel like we’re in good hands in the long-term future.”

What were the hosts of that podcast, Bruce Feldman and Stewart Mandel, hearing about Card? Superlatives similar to those offered by Ehlinger on multiple occasions.  “I’d be shocked if Hudson’s not the quarterback,” one former Texas assistant told The Athletic. “I love the guy. Love his accuracy. Hudson can really drive the football. His footwork and ability to throw from any platform. He’s a very intelligent kid. I think Aaron Rodgers is the most talented quarterback ever in terms of skill set. This kid reminds me a lot of Aaron Rodgers in how he can move within the pocket and throw from different arm angles and make off-platform throws, and he’s got really good agility. He’s like a 4.5 (40) guy. I’m not bullshitting you. He’s really that talented.”

With Sarkisian building his offense in layers from run-pass options that often demand off-platform throws and the quick hands that he prefers in his quarterbacks, Card seems like a strong fit for the new Longhorns attack in those two key areas.  Two other former Longhorns assistants expressed similar sentiments about the young quarterback, with one opining that Card has a chance to be one of the best players in the country.

So if Card does win the starting job, it’ll be just another step in an expected ascension. After all, he was born for this.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2021/2/25/22301477/hudson-card-sam-ehlinger-texas-longhorns-steve-sarkisian

Hudson Card Junior Year Hudl

http://www.hudl.com/v/2Etskw

• Like 1

247 Podcast:  The Flagship: Father of Texas QB Casey Thompson weighs in on Steve Sarkisian, new staff and mor‪e    (Feb 22nd)

FUCK CHIP BROWN:  In this week's interview episode of The Flagship Podcast, we talk to Charles Thompson, the former Oklahoma quarterback and father to Texas quarterback Casey Thompson.

Of course, we discuss Casey's glowing performance in the Alamo Bowl, when Thompson came in for an injured Sam Ehlinger in the second half and led five straight scoring drives, including four touchdown passes, while completing 8-of-10 passes.

With Casey Thompson in the game, Texas turned a 17-10 halftime lead into a 55-23 rout of Colorado.

We talk to Charles about Casey's leadership style now that Ehlinger is gone and how life has been with Steve Sarkisian as the new coach of the Longhorns.

Charles also goes in depth about Casey's work habits as a quarterback after having a father who played at the highest level of college football (including leading then-No. 2 Oklahoma over then-No. 1 Nebraska in 1987) as well as an older brother (Kendall) who played at OU and Utah before signing with Washington in the NFL.

Charles, who had his own issues off the field at Oklahoma, said he appreciates how Sarkisian has talked about being humbled and overcoming adversity in his own life to gain another chance as a head coach at a top college program.

Charles Thompson, who still helps runs football camps through Football University (FBU), said he's hearing buzz from other coaches in the business that Texas has their attention with the staff Sarkisian has put together.

We also talk to Charles Thompson about the things he's most excited about heading into spring football (March 23).

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/flagship-father-texas-qb-casey-thompson-weighs-in-on/id1279981104?i=1000510240601

Edited by LTtxfan

If he doesn't win the job, is the general sentiment that Card would transfer out? He'd technically still be in line to start for 2+ years, but he'd have to wait 2-3 more years barring injury.

I assume Thompson would portal if he doesn't win it since Card has more eligibility.

Did Card redshirt last year?

Best case scenario (which I know is ridiculous) is Casey goes apeshit this year and declares.  Card is QB1 for 22/23 and then Maalik takes over in 24 as a RS Freshman/Sophomore.  

In today’s college FB, the best thing that can happen is getting in a routine of having guys good enough to declare early.  With QBs demanding they start by year 2 or transferring, you gotta have guys develop faster and move on. 

Again ideally would be 

21 - Thompson (JR)

22- Card (RS SO)

23 - Card (RS JR)

24 - Maalik (SO)

25 - Maalik (JR)

26 - Whatever 23 QB (SO)

Sophmore starters are the new RS SO/JR starters.  If you don’t manage it right and get guys in and out, you end up with Wright/Lourd as a starter. 

1 hour ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Did Card redshirt last year?

Best case scenario (which I know is ridiculous) is Casey goes apeshit this year and declares.  Card is QB1 for 22/23 and then Maalik takes over in 24 as a RS Freshman/Sophomore.  

In today’s college FB, the best thing that can happen is getting in a routine of having guys good enough to declare early.  With QBs demanding they start by year 2 or transferring, you gotta have guys develop faster and move on. 

Again ideally would be 

21 - Thompson (JR)

22- Card (RS SO)

23 - Card (RS JR)

24 - Maalik (SO)

25 - Maalik (JR)

26 - Whatever 23 QB (SO)

Sophmore starters are the new RS SO/JR starters.  If you don’t manage it right and get guys in and out, you end up with Wright/Lourd as a starter. 

Everybody redshirted last year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Is Hudson Card's talent enough to put him over the top in Texas QB battle?

ByJEFF HOWE 19 hours ago

As Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian prepares for his first spring on the Forty Acres, the most significant storyline entering the team’s first practice is the quarterback competition between Hudson Card and Casey Thompson, which begins in earnest on March 23. Sarkisian is getting his first up-close look at Card and Thompson in winter conditioning and while Thompson’s four-touchdown performance in the Alamo Bowl would appear to give him the inside track on landing the gig, Sarkisian is in a unique situation compared to every Longhorn head coach who’s come into the job since Darrell Royal in 1957.

Sarkisian is the first post-Royal hire to not inherit a quarterback with starting experience. Fred Akers (Mark McBath started four games in 1976), Mack Brown (Richard Walton had one start under his belt heading into 1998) and Tom Herman (Shane Buechele was the starter for a 12-game season in 2016) didn’t inherit multi-year starters under center like David McWilliams (Bret Stafford), John Mackovic (Peter Gardere) and Charlie Strong (David Ash) did, but Thompson’s 29 career pass attempts in seven games as the backup to Sam Ehlinger and the minimal duty Card saw in two blowout wins in 2020 is all of the experience Sarkisian’s quarterback room can tout.

With that as the backdrop, in addition to the program going through a regime change with Sarkisian replacing Tom Herman, who was fired on Jan. 2 after four seasons in which he posted a 32-18 record, Card passing Thompson on the depth chart is certainly a possibility. Even though the blue-chip recruit from the 2018 signing class has been in the program longer than the No. 59 overall prospect in the 247Sports Composite for 2020, Ehlinger said on a recent Zoom call with reporters after winning the Jason Witten Collegiate Man of the Year award that Card “is just a special player.”

“There's really no other way to put it,” Ehlinger said. “He came out of the womb spinning the football.”

When Card committed to Herman and former offensive coordinator Tim Beck, he was coming off of a sophomore season for Austin-area powerhouse Lake Travis in which he threw only 82 passes. The presence of Matthew Baldwin (an Ohio State signee who transferred to TCU before retiring from football in 2020) forced Card to begin his varsity career as a wide receiver, a position he played well enough to earn Class 6A All-State honors after catching 69 passes for 1,137 yards and 13 touchdowns as a sophomore.

With that said, Card was always going to quarterback the Cavaliers, a program that produced Garrett Gilbert, the former Texas quarterback who was the Gatorade National Player of the Year in 2008, and Baker Mayfield, the 2017 Heisman Trophy winner and the No. 1 overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft in a stretch of 10 consecutive FBS quarterbacks. When he wasn’t leading the offense and got a chance to actually watch practice, Ehlinger found himself in awe of Card’s arm talent.

“You watch Hudson throw the ball and you're like, 'Man!” Ehlinger said. “There were often times at practice where I was watching him throw and I'm like, 'Gosh darn it! Why can't I do that? Why can't I spin it the way that he can?”

Alabama’s Bryce Young (the frontrunner to take over for Mac Jones), Clemson’s DJ Uiagalelei (expected to take over for Trevor Lawrence) and Ohio State’s CJ Stroud (a contender to take over for Justin Fields) were the only quarterbacks ranked higher than Card in the 247Sports Composite. That doesn’t guarantee he’s going to win the job over Thompson, but Ehlinger sees the competition for the spot he occupied as the starter for each of the program’s last 37 games as a true two-man race with Card’s talent giving him a shot to be Sarkisian’s guy.

“Either way, both of those guys are going to be great for UT,” Ehlinger said. “The quarterback position should be in good hands for a really long time.”

Edited by LTtxfan

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Caleb Williams is next in line at OU. Better chance that he starts for them in 2022 as a redshirt freshman than Thompson transferring and winning that job.

True ok maybe not OU but somewhere decent profile D1.  We don’t know right now but Thompson could transfer and blow up to be a top player.  He’s got the linage, legs, arm, ect to do it.   I just won’t to end up like Baker at Tech or midget at atm and not let him prove himself on game day.  I just have that vibe from him and he’s been putting in the work for sure and we might see that he should have started last year....

19 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

If Thompson doesn’t start this year he will hit the portal and be OU’s starter next year I think.  I hope they give him a chance and can get Card to stay around and not transfer.  

Card is not going to transfer.

He was born, bred, and trained to be the quarterback at the University of Texas. Very similar to Sam.

Sam wouldn’t have transferred if he hadn’t won the job as a freshman, or redshirt freshman. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
True ok maybe not OU but somewhere decent profile D1.  We don’t know right now but Thompson could transfer and blow up to be a top player.  He’s got the linage, legs, arm, ect to do it.   I just won’t to end up like Baker at Tech or midget at atm and not let him prove himself on game day.  I just have that vibe from him and he’s been putting in the work for sure and we might see that he should have started last year....
This is a better situation to be in than it was the past decade.

On 3/25/2021 at 9:31 PM, Hook1997 said:

Tell me more about this vibe you're getting from him and please include your venmo for the 9.95. We've never seen either of these QBs play a full game of college ball. They could be 2 or 3 big hits away from the medical tent and the next guy is in. People need to relax with this transfer murmuring. 

• Hook 'Em 2

If he doesn't win the job, is the general sentiment that Card would transfer out? He'd technically still be in line to start for 2+ years, but he'd have to wait 2-3 more years barring injury.
I assume Thompson would portal if he doesn't win it since Card has more eligibility.
If this were last year or earlier I'd say theres very little chance Card portals if Casey wins the job and plays well enough to keep it and come back for '22 if he wants, but with the new one time transfer and play immediately rule..anything is possible.

This is why I think Casey is given the first shot at losing the job..or keeping it if he continues his Alamo bowl form. Having said that, I dont think Sark would be reluctant to change QB's if things arent going as well as hoped...he didnt recruit either of these guys and make promises to get them to sign.

On 4/22/2021 at 6:34 AM, LTtxfan said:

From FCB:  Also hearing director of recruiting Brandon Harris, a former quarterback at LSU, is working closely with Sarkisian and quarterbacks coach A.J. Milwee as the assistant quarterbacks coach.

A team source confirmed to Horns247 what Hudson Card said to the media on Thursday - that the Texas spring game on Saturday will probably have a healthy dose of shots downfield in the passing game, possibly providing fans with more excitement in a spring game than usual.

(Thx to TARS for above info)

15 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

From FCB:  Also hearing director of recruiting Brandon Harris, a former quarterback at LSU, is working closely with Sarkisian and quarterbacks coach A.J. Milwee as the assistant quarterbacks coach.

A team source confirmed to Horns247 what Hudson Card said to the media on Thursday - that the Texas spring game on Saturday will probably have a healthy dose of shots downfield in the passing game, possibly providing fans with more excitement in a spring game than usual.

(Thx to TARS for above info)

tumblr_lqe1vw9Tcb1qcb1cuo1_500.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I think Card will win the job based on the arm talent. It's going to be too hard to keep that on the bench. He still has a ways to go but I think he'll be fine by the beginning of the season.  I think Casey's decision making will need to be considerably better than Card's to win the job.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 1

Scipio on the Orange/White Game...

QB --  The QB debate is settled

Kai Money had the best stat line and the most explosive single passing play. 1/1/41 yards. 100% completion percentage. Also showed that he can take a hit. And how about his receiving ability on gadget plays?

OK, you're not sold...

Both Card and Thompson did some good things, both have improvements to make. We won't really know either player's potential without multiple starts.

Thompson made some nice throws on the move and in the middle of the field and he checked down patiently when warranted. His best throw of the day was on 3rd down rolling right to Jordan Whittington. He also should have had a touchdown on the dropped Joshua Moore ball. Thompson's lack of arm showed outside the hashes, specifically on the 92 yard pick 6 to Jamison. That was a ball placement issue caused by arm, not inaccuracy. If Thompson wants to be the man, he has to understand his limitations as a passer.

Card showed much better velocity and generally better ball placement on contested routes which translates directly to the RPO game. He can credibly threaten the whole field. I also liked his eye level on a couple of pressures - he kept looking downfield instead of taking off. His feet are active, at times bordering on happy, and he self-sacked at least once. Card also played better with inferior talent. One of his scoring drives featured Marcus Washington, Kai Money, Gunnar Helm, and Malcolm Epps as his primary receivers. His best throw was the "throw him open" touchdown strike to Marcus Washington in the red zone, but he also had several tight window throws that featured his ability to spin it. Threw some heat on a couple of shorter dropped balls that would have been better served with touch.

Casey got the first series, played with the best personnel, and got the most work (43 passing attempts). One could argue that's because Sark is trying to give the more senior QB the opportunity to take the job. An alternative view is that Sark is trying to level the playing field and keep the QB competition close so that his September depth chart deck doesn't consist of a single Card.

I think Texas could win with either. The question is upside. With very limited data, I'd give Card the edge on that metric. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The higher ceiling Card exhibits has me leaning his way, especially given Thompson isn't doing much to separate.

Card did seem to struggle with accuracy while on the move, missing some good possible gains with erratic throws.

Edited by pacman
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/11/2021 at 8:55 AM, Snacks said:

Is there any film of Card under duress in HS? I don't initially trust any QB that hasn't had the dogs on his ass.

I said the same thing when Squints was the GPOY. I never saw a defender near him on his HS tape.

Moving the pocket is great when there's a pocket. What happens when there is no pocket?

this

You qb gurus please expound if this is a similar situation to Georgia 3 years ago with floor and ceiling of Jake fromm and Justin fields. Seems like I vaguely remember fields being pretty raw so Kirby went with the safe choice, which turned out to be the ceiling for fromm.

But, he probably went with fromm because of his mom's tits.

8 minutes ago, markstanco said:

You qb gurus please expound if this is a similar situation to Georgia 3 years ago with floor and ceiling of Jake fromm and Justin fields. Seems like I vaguely remember fields being pretty raw so Kirby went with the safe choice, which turned out to be the ceiling for fromm.

But, he probably went with fromm because of his mom's tits.

Pictures please

FCB

Evaluating the play of Texas quarterbacks in Orange-White game

By FUCK CHIP BROWN          Apr 24, 3:43 PM

I’ve been hearing from team sources the past week that both of Texas’ top two quarterbacks - Casey Thompson and Hudson Card - are going to excel in Steve Sarkisian’s offense as they get more comfortable.

In Saturday’s spring game, Thompson and Card both showed they can get to their second- and third reads in a progression. Both showed they can push the ball downfield with accuracy and touch, and both would’ve had better numbers on Saturday if their receivers had made more plays for them.

Joshua Moore dropped a perfectly thrown 34-yard pass from Thompson in the end zone that would’ve been a touchdown on the Orange offense’s first drive of the game.

Marcus Washington and Malcolm Epps dropped passes from Card in the first half that could’ve gone for nice gains but instead helped contribute to three-and-outs.

Card got the ball out quickly on completions over the middle to Washington and Kai Money, and Thompson showed nice touch on passes of 23 yards to Jordan Whittington and 22 yards to Troy Omeire.

After making good decisions and taking care of the ball for nearly the entire first half (even throwing a couple passes away when nothing was there), Thompson made the big mistake on the last play of the half - staring down Whittington on a deep out that D'Shawn Jamison jumped and took 92 yards for a pick six.

With 22 seconds left in the half, Thompson got greedy and made a throw he never should’ve made. He was late with the throw to Whittington (who didn’t exactly come back to the ball and try to break it up), and Jamison easily jumped it for the biggest play of the spring game.

Jamison nearly had another interception of Thompson on the Orange team’s final drive, but couldn’t hang on to the ball. Thompson finished the day with three interceptions, because Kitan Crawford picked off a Hail Mary attempt on the last play of the game, and Thompson attempted a two-point conversion pass after the Orange team’s first touchdown that looked more like a hook shot intended for tight end Jared Wiley, who fell down on the route, allowing Chris Adimora to make an easy pickoff.

Card settled into a rhythm on the White team’s first drive of the second half.

The drive opened with Card throwing a lateral to Kai Money, who then fired a deep pass to wide-open tight end Gunnar Helm for a 40-yard completion. Card then found Kai Money in stride for a 17-yard gain to the Orange 12-yard-line.

Two plays later, Card may have made the best throw of the day on a 6-yard TD pass to Marcus Washington on an inside route in which Card threw the ball just as Washington was starting to make his break at the top of the route. The ball was on Washington so quickly that early enrollee freshman cornerback Jamier Johnson, who was face-guarding Washington (and had good position in front of Washington), didn’t even know the ball was in the air. That TD put the White team up 20-9 in the third quarter.

Card’s performance was especially impressive because he was working with the second-team offensive line, which had freshman Logan Parr at center and freshman Jaylen Garth at left tackle going up against a defensive line that featured Alfred Collins, Vernon Broughton and a solid performance from redshirt freshman Prince Dorbah.

Thompson played behind the first-team offensive line of Christian Jones at left tackle, Denzel Okafor at left guard, Jake Majors at center, Junior Angilau at right guard and a combination of redshirt freshman Andrej Karic and true freshman Hayden Connor at right tackle.

Thompson also had receivers Jordan Whittington, Joshua Moore and Troy Omeire, tight ends Cade Brewer and Jared Wiley and running back Bijan Robinson on his Orange team offense.

Thompson had the better first-half performance right up until the pick-six. Card had the better second half.

Thompson finished 23 of 42 passing for 242 yards and was credited with two interceptions (excluding the turnover on the tw0-point conversion pass attempt), while Card finished 15 of 25 passing for 168 yards and one touchdown.

But it’s important to remember that Steve Sarkisian installed more offense just this week.

Everything you saw on Saturday is very much a work in progress. But we saw enough from both quarterbacks to see that both have a high upside in Sarkisian’s offense by the time early September rolls around.

"Overall, efficiency, not bad," Sarkisian said. "Now, we've just got to make sure we're better with the ball in critical situations like the red area."

On 3/25/2021 at 8:19 PM, Hook1997 said:

If Thompson doesn’t start this year he will hit the portal and be OU’s UTAH's starter next year I think.  I hope they give him a chance and can get Card to stay around and not transfer.  

Every QB transfers to Utah

20 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

this

go watch Card's senior game against North Shore. kid was under duress the whole game and he was nails. same for his senior year game against Westlake. he is a grinder. he battles and competes and never gives up. 

i know yall havent seen it yet but just wait. the kid is the real deal. he is excellent from the pocket but even better on the move. wait till he gets comfortable and then he will be a machine carving up the defense with accurate flat throws and then punishing them with his sub 4 sec shuttle when the pocket breaks down and he has to use his legs. 

i want what is best for UT. and i will be honest, after the Colorado game, i thought that was probably Casey. but now, im starting to think the Colorado game was fool's gold. I still think Casey is really good but just maybe not as good as he looked in the bowl game.

I think Sark is playing this right. But at this point, I would be surprised if Card doesnt win the job outright. Either way, I am confident Sark will actually let them earn/win the job and we will be successful with whomever that is.

4 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

go watch Card's senior game against North Shore. kid was under duress the whole game and he was nails. same for his senior year game against Westlake. he is a grinder. he battles and competes and never gives up. 

i know yall havent seen it yet but just wait. the kid is the real deal. he is excellent from the pocket but even better on the move. wait till he gets comfortable and then he will be a machine carving up the defense with accurate flat throws and then punishing them with his sub 4 sec shuttle when the pocket breaks down and he has to use his legs. 

i want what is best for UT. and i will be honest, after the Colorado game, i thought that was probably Casey. but now, im starting to think the Colorado game was fool's gold. I still think Casey is really good but just maybe not as good as he looked in the bowl game.

I think Sark is playing this right. But at this point, I would be surprised if Card doesnt win the job outright. Either way, I am confident Sark will actually let them earn/win the job and we will be successful with whomever that is.

If this is the case, we're going to need to bring in a grad transfer asap.  If Card is the guy after this summer, he's going to need every 1st team rep.  At that point, Casey is going to transfer.  And rightfully so as he has waited his turn 3 years here and been a model teammate.  No need to string him along.  Sark is a smart dude.  Go get someone that can run this offense as a back up in case Casey transfers.  What we cannot have entering this season is a RS freshman starter being backed up by a true freshman.  That is a recipe for disaster if Card gets injured.

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, victory88 said:

If this is the case, we're going to need to bring in a grad transfer asap.  If Card is the guy after this summer, he's going to need every 1st team rep.  At that point, Casey is going to transfer.  And rightfully so as he has waited his turn 3 years here and been a model citizen.  No need to string him along.  Sark is a smart dude.  Go get someone that can run this offense as a back up in case Casey transfers.  What we cannot have entering this season is a RS freshman starter being backed up by a true freshman.  That is a recipe for disaster if Card gets injured.

I’d see what fall camp brings. We likely won’t know starter until week of Louisiana when depth chart is released. 

will Sark value the older more experienced guy or the younger more talented guy? History of Sark tells me he will value the latter and coach him up. 

2 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

The hell he will.  Casey's got a two year start and that's more than he needs.  He's got friends in every town and village from here to OUSUX.  He speaks a dozen languages and knows every local custom.  He'll blend in and disappear, you'll never find him.  With any luck he has the championship already.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, victory88 said:

If this is the case, we're going to need to bring in a grad transfer asap.  If Card is the guy after this summer, he's going to need every 1st team rep.  At that point, Casey is going to transfer.  And rightfully so as he has waited his turn 3 years here and been a model teammate.  No need to string him along.  Sark is a smart dude.  Go get someone that can run this offense as a back up in case Casey transfers.  What we cannot have entering this season is a RS freshman starter being backed up by a true freshman.  That is a recipe for disaster if Card gets injured.

Seriously doubt Thompson transfers days before the start of the season or during the season. He'd go in January, and then as far as 2022 we'd have Card backed up by Ewers. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I saw from Casey many of the same things we've seen from our QB for the last four years... occasional (and too much) inaccuracy, inadvisable throws, abandoning the pocket too soon... we didn't see the 230-pound bruiser, but I'm okay with that, because it looks whoever QBs this team is going to have a lot of help from the running game. Given that all three of our losses last season can be laid directly at the door of the head coach, and with what appears so far to be a very obvious increase in talent in the HC's office, I feel pretty good about the team and its prospects for the coming season. Plenty of room to continue to improve, but the path looks like it's headed where we want to be going. More, much more, yet to be seen, but... so far, so good.

12 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Seriously doubt Thompson transfers days before the start of the season or during the season. He'd go in January, and then as far as 2022 we'd have Card backed up by Ewers. 

Don't do this.

43 minutes ago, victory88 said:

If this is the case, we're going to need to bring in a grad transfer asap.  If Card is the guy after this summer, he's going to need every 1st team rep.  At that point, Casey is going to transfer. 

So off to Utah if Card is the starter. Got it.