TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

Thanks for this BurntOrange&White

IT -- Joe Cook Jul 19, 2021 

"Sarkisian embraces difficult decision on quarterback prior to Texas’ opener vs. Louisiana"

image.png.11f372ac8d4893be316c41ccb10bd375.png

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian has 15 practices under his belt in Austin, but that was not enough data for him to make a decision on what he calls the most important position in sports -- quarterback.

Redshirt freshman Hudson Card and junior Casey Thompson are competing to succeed Sam Ehlinger as the Longhorns’ starting quarterback. Both have their strengths and weaknesses and had ups and downs during the spring, but Sarkisian needs more data before he names a starter ahead of the opener versus Louisiana.

At Big 12 Media Days, Sarkisian praised both of the contenders. He said it is a luxury for him to have to choose between Thompson and Card. He lauded Thompson for his athleticism, focus, and football IQ. Card was complimented for his passing ability and instincts.

Eventually, he’ll have to “trust his gut” and decide, a process he does not want to be easy.

“When we do, it’s not going to be because the other guy gave the job up,” Sarkisian said July 15. “They’re going to make it tough on me. That’s what I told them. 'You guys need to make this decision as hard as you can on me.'”

In the current climate, a quarterback waiting his turn for an opportunity is becoming less common. Some quarterbacks, including ones who were at Texas, don’t care to wait for a chance to play.

Whether Card or Thompson wins the Longhorn quarterback job, Sarkisian explained how crucial the runner-up’s role would be in the 2021 season. Even if it is unlikely both quarterbacks stick around, Sarkisian made his case against the backup immediately entering the transfer portal following the results of the competition.

“Because I name one guy the starter doesn’t mean we don’t need the other one because the other guy’s a play away,” Sarkisian said. “In this day and age of college football, to think you’ll go 13, 14 games throughout a season with one quarterback probably isn’t realistic.”

Gut decisions don’t typically have timeframes, but answers regarding game one prep may indicate when Sarkisian would like to have his choice known. Texas opens the 2021 season against Louisiana, who went 10-1 in 2020, topped Iowa State to open the season, and finished No. 15 in the AP poll.

I hope fall camp separates the two but I have a bad feeling we won't know our starter until our first offensive series against ULL
Thats not neccesarily a bad thing to me. I think either way they go isnt a bad thing, and the "starter" wont neccesarily be given a lot of leeway for screw ups. I think our ex QB head coach knows which QB gives him the best chance of running his offense the way he wants..

I think Sark is doing a good job of selling the competition, but I don’t see him starting Card over Thompson based on the body of work so far. It’s well documented that Card has the best fast ball on the team, but he doesn’t necessarily do anything else on par or better than Thompson from what I’ve seen to this point. Thompson shows superior feet, arm mechanics, pocket awareness, deep ball accuracy, leadership qualities, touch on intermediate throws, dynamic on the run, he’s built like a grown man, football IQ through the roof, etc. If Hudson beats him out, it’s because he’s just too good to be denied. Either way the Longhorns will field a more than capable QB. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just heard a brief interview with Overshown where they were talking NIL and he was saying how they all know certain players are going to make more "like Bijan, Casey...blah blah" May mean nothing but seems like he assumes Casey will be the guy.

We fans can't really opine on this given that we haven't seen either guy play enough. Yes, Casey looked great in a half against CU, but that's a very small sample. Spring game is a spring game and I thought there were pretty even. 

I will say though that Card sounds like a better scheme fit for Sark (would've said the opposite for Turtle). He probably has more upside long-term (and has more eligibility) so I really hope he doesn't portal.

Bleacher Report predicts who will win the starting quarterback job at Texas

Kevin Borba    July 20, 2021 

image.png.009041365cbd4f63d9c04e9ded96a688.png

Bleacher Report is leaning towards Thompson being the starter.

Here’s what they had to say:

"As four-year starter Sam Ehlinger heads to the NFL, Texas is entering a fresh era. The school hired Alabama offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian as head coach, and he’ll have a new quarterback.  In all likelihood, that’ll be Casey Thompson.  The dual-threat quarterback helped Texas cruise past Colorado in the Alamo Bowl, completing eight of 10 throws for 170 yards and four touchdowns after replacing an injured Ehlinger (shoulder). Thompson also tossed two scores against UTEP earlier in the year.  He enters the offseason as the favorite ahead of 2020 4-star recruit Hudson Card, who attempted three passes last season.”  

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/2021/07/20/texas-longhorns-football-starting-quarterback-battle-predicts-hudson-card-casey-thompson-2021/

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Bleacher Report predicts who will win the starting quarterback job at Texas

Kevin Borba    July 20, 2021 

image.png.009041365cbd4f63d9c04e9ded96a688.png

In all likelihood, that’ll be Casey Thompson. 

That's not a prediction. That's a guess,and it sounds like they know as much or less than the rest of us. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eggo said:

That's not a prediction. That's a guess,and it sounds like they know as much or less than the rest of us. 

It's their title "Bleacher Report predicts who will win the starting quarterback job at Texas" and their quotes -- so according to Bleacher Report it's a prediction... 😋

Is there really any speculation?  It's always the same thing - coach pretends like there is a real competition, but it's already been decided, even before Sark got here.  Thompson will start the season based on age and experience.  Card will ride the pine until Thompson sucks or gets hurt.  That's it.

Thx goes to @UncleSonny for this...

IT -- "2021 camp position battles: Casey Thompson versus Hudson Card" 

ut_spring_game_21-4240114-768x631.jpg

Eric Nahlin  Jul 28, 2021 

This series will focus on Big 12 position battles. The real battles will be next year (in all likelihood) when they’re SEC position battles.

To start the series off, I choose violence.

JR Casey Thompson, 6-foot-1, 194 vs FR Hudson Card, 6-foot-2, 195

For your consideration: We didn’t want to ruin all offseason with a board full of crappy quarterback takes that divides the fan base over two likable protagonists. This isn’t Baker Mayfield versus Kyler Murray. So we tempered quarterback talk during the Spring. We did it for you and your mental health. “Luckily” you guys came through with recruiting quarterback takes that kept the board toasty through the long, cold, offseason night. I’ll never understand why fans take sides in these matters. Trust the coaches and cheer for the best option, whoever that may be.

A big part who the best player is for the job is understanding who the best fit is and/or where players are on their developmental curves.

A recap on recent UT QB battles: Shane Buechele made much more sense than Tyrone Swoopes given those two factors above. A year later, and in the Tom Herman bully ball offense (not to be confused with the Todd Orlando meathead defense), Sam Ehlinger made more sense than Buechele. And coming out of high school — this was a tough pill for some to swallow — Hudson Card made more sense than Ja’Quinden Jackson. If you went 0-3 on these, there are many other threads for you to enjoy on IT.

You should simply root for the best August performer to win, and if he struggles when the season starts, for the coach to give the other competitor a chance. There were times last year when Sam Ehlinger was clearly hobbled by injury and Casey Thompson should have been given an opportunity to play. Yes, that is indeed hindsight based on Thompson’s performance in the Alamo Bowl, but that’s all Tom Herman gave us to work with. He damn sure didn’t afford Thompson any mop-up time, let alone real snaps.

Why Thompson will win: It was written in these pages last Fall he was ready to take the first-year lumps most new starters take. That wasn’t a statement that he should start over Ehlinger; it was just a testament to where he was on his personal developmental timeline. While he doesn’t have much game experience, he does have more time under his belt from a mental preparation standpoint. They’ve both been working in the new offense for the same amount of time, but some have felt Thompson’s maturity would help him. Perhaps he holds the ‘developmental’ advantage.

During the Alamo Bowl, Thompson demonstrated play-making ability with his arm and legs and the ability to push the ball down the field. It was a small sample size, but that at minimum demonstrates upside.

Why he might not: Per 7 on 7 inside info, which is a continuation of spring info, he still checks down too frequently and when he does press down the field he’s showing to be mistake prone at times. Do not take that to mean he’s not making plays with his arm — he zipped a beauty over the middle to Troy Omeire recently that caught everyone’s attention. To be clear, he doesn’t make a lot of mistakes, but when he does it’s often a big one. His accuracy is good, but not as good as Card’s.

Why Card will win it: Card has elite passing traits: quick arm and release, accuracy, velocity and strength to all points of the field. While Thompson is accurate enough, Card is pin point on RPO’s allowing players to maximize yards after catch. He’s also a more aggressive, consistent downfield passer which pairs well with the play-action passing game Sarkisian will want to complement Bijan Robinson with. He has great field vision. Perhaps he holds the ‘fit’ advantage.

Why he might not: Sarkisian has said he’s going to play the quarterback the offense responds best to, period. In that sense, it won’t come down to traits and passing upside — it’ll come down to who can get it done on the field. If the offense responds better to Thompson and makes more plays for him in scrimmages, he’ll get the call.

Offsetting factors: Leadership intangibles at this point offset. Neither player is favored in any real sense by a consensus of teammates. Both are athletically built but neither possess an ideal, durable, in-the-pocket build. We went by roster weights in the listings above, but Card is over 200 pounds now. He’s at least adding size. Thompson might have as well. Still, durability under a real workload will be a concern until it isn’t. Both are athletic and dangerous runners but Steve Sarkisian has as much interest in running the quarterback as he does answering questions from Chip Brown.

Prediction: This gets difficult because both guys can start, execute the offense, and win games. As you just read, a lot of qualities and concerns offset. However, IT feels Hudson Card’s overall upside and first-round potential will give him the edge to start versus the Ragin’ Cajuns. The offense would be in good hands with either, though.

May the best man win.

Thanks, I forgot we had a dedicated thread for qb talk.

I'll say, this feels like more of a true tossup than any qb battle at UT I can remember. We've had some hotly contested ones, especially by fans, but you usually had a pretty strong idea who would take the first snap in the first game. Even when dipshit reporters were running with obviously bad information. 

I have no idea who starts vs. ULaLa, it will really will come down to performance in the August practices. I don't think there is a wrong answer though, they can both be really successful in Sark's offense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Thanks, I forgot we had a dedicated thread for qb talk.

I'll say, this feels like more of a true tossup than any qb battle at UT I can remember. We've had some hotly contested ones, especially by fans, but you usually had a pretty strong idea who would take the first snap in the first game. Even when dipshit reporters were running with obviously bad information. 

I have no idea who starts vs. ULaLa, it will really will come down to performance in the August practices. I don't think there is a wrong answer though, they can both be really successful in Sark's offense. 

Sark thread is great... Appreciate the info on both threads.  Just really enjoy a summary thread like this to review info.

One of my favorite quotes above was:  

"Both are athletic and dangerous runners but Steve Sarkisian has as much interest in running the quarterback as he does answering questions from Chip Brown."

And as always...

Fuck_Chip_Brown_Skywriting.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I recall that at this time in the summer of 2006 we didn't have a strong sense of who would start between Colt McCoy and Jevan Snead.  In fact, I bet most thought Snead might get the nod.  He was an Elite 11 QB and Parade All-American.  Colt was a relatively unheralded recruit from a 2A school in Bumblefuck, Texas.  I recall Mack announced that Colt would be the starter for the first game, but don't think the announcement came more than a couple weeks before then.  Others might remember differently.

9 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Colt was a relatively unheralded recruit from a 2A school in Bumblefuck, Texas.  I recall Mack announced that Colt would be the starter for the first game, but don't think the announcement came more than a couple weeks before then.  Others might remember differently.

Come on South Austin -- it's Tuscola, Texas and he played for Jim Ned High School 😋  

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I recall that at this time in the summer of 2006 we didn't have a strong sense of who would start between Colt McCoy and Jevan Snead.  In fact, I bet most thought Snead might get the nod.  He was an Elite 11 QB and Parade All-American.  Colt was a relatively unheralded recruit from a 2A school in Bumblefuck, Texas.  I recall Mack announced that Colt would be the starter for the first game, but don't think the announcement came more than a couple weeks before then.  Others might remember differently.

Yeah maybe so. My memory is that Colt was the presumed starter for game 1 because he had the year head start in the program and back then it was pretty rare for qbs to start from the jump as a true freshman, even big-time prospects.

I sort of remember thinking Snead would get time and gradually take the role during the course of the season as the highly rated guy but that was 15 years ago so I could be wrong. 

33 minutes ago, YeeYeeCTE said:

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

If Thompson stars hitting the outroutes consistently then that means he has improved a lot. Almost every time I’ve seen him throw an out it is potentially disastrous

Casey seems to love the low percentage passes. I think he’s got a bit of a gunslinger mentality. He had a wide open check down when he threw that late out route in the Spring game. Same thing with that almost pick 6 against Colorado. 

I would feel better if I knew the difference between "having a tremendous football IQ"....and "having great instincts"

and it seems like I remember Mack talking about the first Fall practice after VY left, when he told the team they had to work on figuring out who was going to be QB....the players just told him...."coach, that is already decided....it is Colt"....this was based on the player workouts 

1 hour ago, oldhorn2 said:

I would feel better if I knew the difference between "having a tremendous football IQ"....and "having great instincts"

and it seems like I remember Mack talking about the first Fall practice after VY left, when he told the team they had to work on figuring out who was going to be QB....the players just told him...."coach, that is already decided....it is Colt"....this was based on the player workouts 

And what do the players say now?

2 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

Good call players 

I don't care at all which QB Sark picks and I only get upset when some 995 asshole tries to drum up the longhorn venom by claiming someone is doing great and the other one sucks.  No one knows shit on this one, period, so quit acting like you know the better option.

Once said QB is playing ULaLa, I will then either (1) know Sark made the correct choice, (2) think he made a mistake, or (3) know he made the correct choice because it's the least bad option and hate my life for yet another Fall.

Get in line, fuckers (for a game, at least).

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

I don't care at all which QB Sark picks and I only get upset when some 995 asshole tries to drum up the longhorn venom by claiming someone is doing great and the other one sucks.  No one knows shit on this one, period, so quit acting like you know the better option.

Once said QB is playing ULaLa, I will then either (1) know Sark made the correct choice, (2) think he made a mistake, or (3) know he made the correct choice because it's the least bad option and hate my life for yet another Fall.

Get in line, fuckers (for a game, at least).

giphy.gif

Is there really any speculation?  It's always the same thing - coach pretends like there is a real competition, but it's already been decided, even before Sark got here.  Thompson will start the season based on age and experience.  Card will ride the pine until Thompson sucks or gets hurt.  That's it.
This is what I think as well, but I truly wont be upset no matter who Sark chooses to trot out first versus LaLaff.

Definitely this here. Plus you have to think Thompson is a much more likely transfer candidate if he doesn’t win the job. Card would still have a couple years to play after Casey and has the whole LT hometown thing going on. Have to think he’s more likely to stay in the event of losing the job, which is a factor these days. I would be pretty surprised if Thompson didn’t get first crack at it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Fletch said:

Card will have his own package of plays and it’ll be Childs all over again 

I always loved how GDGD would insert Chiles into the game, and the play was by god going to him. The defense could literally abandon everyone else, because dear Greg couldn’t think deep enough to consider the possibility of a decoy being used. 

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Call it "Burnt Orange Kool-Aid" -- I believe our 2021 passing offense will be significantly better with either Casey or Hudson at QB

I think no matter which one starts the completion percentage of passes over twenty yards is going to improve drastically from last year.  

On 7/28/2021 at 2:53 PM, South Austin said:

I came here to post this. This has felt like 2006 all along 

4 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Definitely this here. Plus you have to think Thompson is a much more likely transfer candidate if he doesn’t win the job. Card would still have a couple years to play after Casey and has the whole LT hometown thing going on. Have to think he’s more likely to stay in the event of losing the job, which is a factor these days. I would be pretty surprised if Thompson didn’t get first crack at it.

If Sark starts one over the other for fear of transfer we're already fucked.

• Hook 'Em 2