TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

15 minutes ago, deech said:

Pitch Thompson the obvious. It was close.  We're going to need you.  Card may get hurt and we will need yiu to be ready. I can do my part to keep your game total to less than four to try to preserve another year of eligibility for you if you like, but I think you'll have a chance to prove I made a mistake and I want to give you as many reps as I can so you are ready if that chance comes. 

You don’t even need to get hurt. All you have to do is pop a test. 

Sounds like both QBs are going to play in the first game based on that 24/7 article.  Card gets the start, but Casey also going to get some PT.  

I think Card has "won" but if Casey balls out, we could see a different starter week 2.

I just hope one of them balls the fuck out and ends the competition and cements themselves as the guy going forward.  I dont want a bunch of question marks heading into week 2 when shit gets real. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Sources: Hudson Card will start at quarterback for Texas in season opener against Louisiana

By FUCK CHIP BROWN    82 minutes ago

In what Steve Sarkisian has called the toughest decision on a starting quarterback he’s had to make as a head coach, redshirt freshman Hudson Card has edged out redshirt junior Casey Thompson to become Texas’ starting quarterback for the Longhorns’ season opener against Louisiana on Sept. 4, sources told Horns247.

Sarkisian informed the quarterbacks after a walkthrough practice on Friday night and indicated both quarterbacks would play in the opener, sources said. 

The fall camp battle between the two quarterbacks was a tale of two halves. Thompson began fall camp as the quarterback getting the first reps with the No. 1 offense, and Card finished camp as the quarterback getting those reps.

According to sources close to the situation, Thompson struggled with interceptions early in camp, and Card protected the ball better throughout camp.

The depth chart had been settled at every position on offense except quarterback following a depth-chart meeting among the coaches last weekend, sources told Horns247.

A turning point seemed to be the first scrimmage of fall camp on Aug. 14, when Sarkisian expressed disappointment in the play of both of his quarterbacks. Thompson suffered two early interceptions in that scrimmage. Card took some sacks in that scrimmage, but he didn’t turn the ball over.

From that point forward, Card was the first quarterback to take reps with the No. 1 offense, followed by Thompson. In the second scrimmage of fall camp, Sarkisian said the offense rebounded and had a much better performance. Card threw for one touchdown and ran for two others, while Thompson threw for two touchdowns and ran for one. Neither turned the ball over.

This week, as game-planning for Louisiana began, Card continued to get the most meaningful reps with the first-team offense in 11-on-11 periods, while Thompson’s time with the first-team offense usually came in situational drills, such as when the quarterbacks hand off to running backs coming off the goal line.

On Monday and Tuesday of this week, Thompson even split second-team reps in 11-on-11 with true freshman quarterback Charles Wright.

Sources said Sarkisian's announcement to the quarterbacks was prolonged because both Card and Thompson had two strong weeks of practice following the first scrimmage.

Card, who was recruited and offered a scholarship at Alabama while Sarkisian was offensive coordinator of the Tide, served as the third-string quarterback behind Sam Ehlinger and Thompson in 2020.

Card threw an incomplete pass and ran twice for 8 yards in a blowout against UTEP in last year’s season opener and was 1-of-2 passing for 5 yards and ran for 3 yards in UT’s Alamo Bowl victory over Colorado last season.

It was in that Alamo Bowl victory that Thompson had his finest performance at Texas and seemed to become the frontrunner to replace Ehlinger at quarterback.

Thompson helped turn a 24-17 lead into a 55-23 rout over Colorado after replacing an injured Ehlinger in the second half and completing 8-of-10 passes, four of them for touchdowns, while leading Texas on five straight scoring drives.

But Thompson’s advantage of having more experience in the Longhorns’ offense under coach Tom Herman disappeared when Sarkisian was hired to replace Herman after the 2020 season.

Both Thompson and Card had to prove themselves while learning Sarkisian’s offense.

Thompson was consistently the first quarterback to work with the first-team offense in the spring and even played with the first-team offense against the first-team defense in UT’s Orange-White spring game. Card was assigned to lead the second-team offense against the second-team defense.

Thompson, who completed 71 percent of his passes last season with six touchdowns and zero interceptions while leading the offense to points on eight of 10 drives (against UTEP, Kansas State and Colorado), threw a pick-six near the end of the first half of UT’s spring game.

While Thompson finished the spring game with two interceptions, Card finished the spring game 15 of 25 for 168 yards and a touchdown that came on a picture-perfect slant pass to Marcus Washington.

Card threw Washington open on the play, releasing the ball while Washington was completely covered up by a face-guarding defender.

According to UT’s stats for the spring game, Thompson took three sacks, while Card took five sacks (even though sacks were called whenever a defender touched the quarterbacks in the backfield, since they are not allowed to be hit in practices).

Sarkisian said the decision would probably come down to a “gut feel.”

Sarkisian’s gut feel on who to start at quarterback in the past has been pretty good.

He went with the unheralded three-star senior Mac Jones last season at Alabama instead of five-star freshman Bryce Young (the kid Nick Saban told Texas high school coaches has nearly $1 million in NIL earnings without having started a college game). Jones led the Tide to a national title while becoming a Heisman Trophy finalist.

As the offensive coordinator at USC under Pete Carroll, Sarkisian went with the young, up-and-comer Matt Leinart over the veteran Matt Cassel following Carson Palmer’s Heisman Trophy-winning season with the Trojans in 2002.

Leinart went on to win two national titles and a Heisman Trophy (before being out-dueled by Vince Young and Texas for the 2005 national championship).

It’s undoubtedly the story of Cassel that Sarkisian will try to sell to Thompson. There was a sense going into fall camp that if Thompson, who is beginning his fourth year at Texas, didn't win the starting job, he could leave school and train on his own this fall while evaluating where to transfer in January.

Despite never having started a college game at quarterback during his four years at USC (2001-04), Cassel was drafted in the seventh round by the New England Patriots in 2005 and went on to a 14-year NFL career.

“I’m pretty proud of Cassel’s development,” Sarkisian said when I asked him about how tough the Card-Thompson decision would be and if any others compared to it?

Sarkisian said he couldn't let his decision be affected by the reaction of the quarterback who was not named the starter.

“I can't worry about that,” Sarkisian said. “I have to make decisions that are in the best interests of the entire football organization and our entire team.

“The moment you start worrying about the what-ifs about one player, I think that's when you get hesitant in your decision making and you end up starting to make decisions that aren't in the best interest of your team.

“We've got over 100 players on this team, and not one player can have that much of an impact where you sacrifice the team over one player. So, no, we focus on the team first in everything we do, and that won't be any different when it comes to the quarterback play.”

42 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

if it was a close call, it was going to be Casey. Card must have made it obvious. 

I've heard literally the opposite. If it's a close call, college coaches tend go with the younger guy who has a higher ceiling (and more years of eligibility).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

if it was a close call, it was going to be Casey. Card must have made it obvious. 

Eh. Maybe if Herman were still here, seat hot as hell, and he was coaching not to lose his job. You default to that experiential advantage because you’re afraid the young guy blows some games early that get you fired.

As a first year coach it’s easier to go with who you think has a higher long term ceiling, which most indications would say is Card, because you’ve got time to build something.

We should certainly be prepared for some head scratchers throughout the year, but I’m looking forward to seeing Card display the talent that win him the job.

Thx for this @BurntOrange&White 

Untitled-design-57-1.png

Hudson Card named starting quarterback for the Texas Longhorns

On3 article

By Joe Cook

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian needed more than the 15 practices held in the spring to determine a starting quarterback from his options of redshirt freshman Hudson Card and junior Casey Thompson. After two scrimmages and several practices in the Longhorns’ preseason camp, Sarkisian has enough data to name a winner to the toughest quarterback battle he has overseen as a head coach.

Sources tell Inside Texas Card will start at quarterback for the Longhorns for the season opener against Louisiana on Sept. 4 (3:30 p.m., Fox). 

Card, a 6-foot-2, 200-pound dual-threat from the Lake Travis High School factory took more reps with the first team over the week of practice following August 14’s scrimmage. His play, both in practice and the two scrimmages, won over Sarkisian and his “gut,” which Sarkisian stated he would have to trust in this decision. 

Card played in two games as a true freshmen: the season-opener versus UTEP and the fourth quarter of the Alamo Bowl victory versus Colorado. He completed 1-of-3 passes for five yards and rushed four times for 11 yards in those games where the outcome was long decided by the time he saw the field. 

The former Under Armour All-American and two-time all-state honoree was ranked as the No. 2 dual-threat quarterback and No. 59 player in the 2020 class in the rankings composite. He carries a strong passing pedigree, not only from his time at Lake Travis but also from his performance at QB-centric events like The Opening and Elite 11.

Sarkisian’s offense emphasizes protecting the football. Card scored higher marks in that area than Thompson since practice started on August 6.

As a result of his performance during camp, Card earned the starting role for the Longhorns. Card said during the recruiting process Texas was his dream school growing up. Come Sept. 4, his childhood dream of starting at quarterback in Darrell K Royal – Texas Memorial Stadium will come true. 

What of Casey Thompson?

Sarkisian acknowledged the decision would be difficult, considering the skill sets both quarterbacks offer. He also acknowledged having to choose between Card and Thompson was a problem few programs have.

“I’ve always said we’re probably in a better position at the quarterback position than a lot of people, because I really believe we have two guys that can play,” Sarkisian said August 21. “Now, I believe in having a starter and having a backup, but man, when you know I’ve got a backup that can play at a high level and operate our offense the way we want to operate, that’s really a luxury for us.”

“There is a lot of teams that maybe have a returning starter who is a frontline guy, but their backup may not be very capable. We’re in a pretty good position that way.”

GettyImages-1314282008.jpg

Thompson was the second string quarterback behind Sam Ehlinger in the 2019 and 2020 seasons. He has appeared in seven games, with his only extended run coming during the 2020 Alamo Bowl when Thompson replaced an injured Ehlinger at the beginning of the second half.

He notched four passing touchdowns and 170 yards through the air, completing 8-of-10 attempts against the Buffaloes. In his career, he is 20-of-29 for 309 yards and six touchdowns.

Though Thompson was edged out by Card, Sarkisian has repeatedly stated his need for both quarterbacks during his first season in Austin.

“The reality of it is for us to have the season that we want and to play 14 some-odd games this fall, we’re probably going to need both guys anyway,” Sarkisian said at Big 12 media days. “To think that one guy is going to just come out of this thing unscathed and clean, probably not realistic.”

“There is a level of concern, but I also know the character of these two guys and the buy-in that they’ve had. This is their team. They both feel like they’re part of this team. I’m not overly concerned with (the runner-up transferring). Could it happen? Yeah, sure it could but it’s not keeping me up at night.”

Thompson has one more year of eligibility remaining after the 2021 season, plus the year of eligibility relief afforded to him by the NCAA. He received his degree in sport management with a minor in business in May. 

Thanks for this @LarryMoeSurly 

From -- The ATHLETIC 

By Bruce Feldman  18m

Why Texas named Hudson Card its starting QB: ‘Wait till you see this kid’

It probably surprises some folks who remember how flawless Casey Thompsonlooked in torching the Colorado defense in Texas’ bowl win last winter. But it’s Hudson Card who has beaten out the more experienced player for the Longhorns starting quarterback job when they open against No. 23 Louisiana next weekend, a source told The Athletic Saturday morning. 247Sports first reported the news.

Card, a 6-foot-2, 200-pound redshirt freshman, has generated a lot of buzz inside the UT program. This was the expected outcome in the minds of several sources on the Longhorns staff. Card isn’t just seen as the future at Texas, but also the present. Coupling Card’s skill set with the game-breaking ability of budding star running back Bijan Robinson is why the staff thinks the Horns are going to win big very soon.

“Wait till you see this kid,” said a Longhorns source this week. “It’s not like Casey isn’t good, but this kid’s upside is through the roof. He’s so accurate and is really athletic. It’s impressive stuff.”

Card was actually a standout wide receiver at Texas powerhouse Lake Travis while the program also had touted QB Matthew Baldwin, who later signed to play quarterback at Ohio State. Card was in the same 2020 quarterbacks class in Texas and ranked higher nationally (No. 4 QB) than new Texas A&M starter Haynes King (No. 9 QB), according to the 247Sports Composite. He completed 66 percent of his passes as a senior at Lake Travis.

Card wowed the former UT staff as the 2020 season went on with what they saw on the practice field, evoking some Aaron Rodgers comparisons in his ability to move within the pocket and throw from different arm angles and make off-platform throws.

“Hudson has got a chance to be special,” a former UT coach on the 2020 staff predicted of Card when assessing the quarterbacks situation in Austin. “He is ridiculously good. He can really spin it. He makes good decisions. He has a lot of ‘It’ factor.”

Thompson, came into the Alamo Bowl last December at the start of the second half after Sam Ehlinger left with an injury, going 8 for 10 with four touchdown passes in a 55-23 rout.

Thompson, a fourth-year QB who signed with Texas in December 2017,  is expected to get some action in the opener against Louisiana. No. 21 Texas essentially has two quarterbacks, and the prospect of losing one of them in wake of the QB decision this week would leave the program in a precarious spot.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, formermav43 said:

There's zero reason for Thompson to transfer until after the season is over. Even if he could somehow get somewhere else and be eligible this late in the game (which is doubtful), his best chance at playing THIS fall is still right here, should Card get injured or just falter. Plus, that allows him a much better look at what other rosters look like in the Spring to pick the most advantageous situation for him. He could transfer out after the season, be wherever he is going for Spring ball, and still have 2 years of eligibility remaining with the additional year granted due to COVID. 

Basically, there's no upside to leaving now and plenty of incentive to stay.

I like the way you think Mr. Thompson.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

As happy as I was to see Casey perform well in the bowl game, I wasn't putting too much stock in it. I've see too many QBs go in and light it up for a single game, only to fade away to Bolivia.

We'll see how Card performs with the lights on. Casey may get his chance to be the starting QB for the Texas Longhorns before the season is over.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not familiar with this blog, but it's funny... 😋

LarryTheGM        6 hours ago

Why Hudson Card for the Texas Longhorns

Steve Sarkisian was hired for four very important reasons

1. To repair a rapidly declining recruiting situation that was seeing top talent shun the Longhorns

2. To improve the offense production overall

3. To improve the development of quarterbacks and other players

4. To improve Longhorns football to play at a conference championship level

To be fair, it is early on all fronts, but the recruiting progress has been fairly limited. The Longhorns have pursued top talent but have not landed many. The future move to the SEC is partly an admission that Texas cannot compete in top recruiting battles in the Big 12.

Sarkisian is widely renowned as a play caller. In all of the scrimmages, Sarkisian has not been formally game planning or trying to do premium play calling. It is debatable whether the offensive production will actually be better given some of the injuries with the receiving core. None of the scrimmages have really shown the offense to be the juggernaut that the Alabama offense was last year.

Entering fall camp most including myself expected Casey Thompson to be named the starting quarterback. We expected the quarterback guru would further develop Thompson to at least a Mac Jones type level. There have been no signs of that so far. In fact, Card has been incrementally better than Thompson throughout fall camp. The media reports and even Sarkisian’s assessment himself have been mixed on both quarterbacks. Neither quarterback has developed the way one would expect a quarterback guru to develop young quarterbacks.

With Casey Thompson as Starting QB, it is very unlikely the Longhorns are in the Big 12 Championship Game.

Las Vegas has set the over/ under for the Longhorns this season at 8 wins (with some site having Texas at 8,5 wins). Many experts think given the early signs that the team may even struggle to win eight games. This will not sit well with the rabid Texas fan base.

The major goals for 2021 seem incomplete at best and fans are trending to be disappointed. Should they be? What can a new coach do in this situation?

In the middle of this turmoil that is Texas football fandom for the last ten years, what does Sarkisian do?

We have gotten multiple reports that Hudson Card will be starting against Louisiana over Casey Thompson. Sarkisian, who needs a big win, makes the riskier move of naming the redshirt freshman with almost no real playing time the starter. Even if he is right and Card is the better long-term quarterback, it is not likely Card would have been the better option for the first few games. What if Thompson transfers immediately as his dad threatened he would months ago? Why would Sarkisian make this decision in 2021?

(Disclaimer- I have never really bet on sports. I might get this all wrong. This is for dramatic effect to make a point.)

Call your bookie in Las Vegas. Make two bets.

1. Take the Under on the Longhorns at 8 wins for the season. (-130 at Caesars)- I will say bet 1300 to win 1000

2. Bet on the Longhorns to win in the Big 12 Championship game (10:1)- I will say bet 200 to win 2000

Therefore, I bet a total of 1500, so if the Longhorns win

1. Less than eight games – I will end up plus 2100

2. Win the Big 12 Championship Game- I will end up plus 700

I believe one of two realities will play out in the 2021 Longhorns season now

1. If Card IS the right QB this team COULD win the Big 12 Conference Championship and Sarkisian will rapidly start to fulfill the goals he was hired to fulfill

2. If Card struggles as QB and Thompson leaves, Sarkisian can preach patience to the fan base and point to Card’s development. Card will essentially be the excuse for the teams below expectation performance. In the worst case, he will point out the fact that he has Maalik Murphy coming, and Card will either become what Texas needs or Murphy will. He will turn to recruits and say come to Texas where we will play you early and help us rebuild this thing. We need you.

Card will lead to one of the two extremes and there is a narrative for either. Thompson might have led to the middle territory that would not have placated the fan base and left the impression that Texas will stick to the older less talented players over young studs.

Perhaps stating this slightly differently

• Thompson is more likely to lead them to 8-4 or 9-3 and that doesn't help because it appears to be just slightly better mediocrity
  • Card is more likely to lead them to the Big 12 championship game and that build momentum OR
  • Card is more likely to lead them to 7-5 or 8-4 and since he is a redshirt freshman he is the insurance policy Sark can cash in even in a season that would otherwise be seen as a failure to spin improvement and playing time to the recruits.

5b1fbf_ead73c05e0354364abd4c2ca53803a45~

Sarkisian is using Card as his insurance policy.

Is this devious or calculated? I would tend to think of it more as dealing with the reality of his situation.

Which extreme will it lead to? We will see starting next week

https://www.larrythegm.com/post/why-hudson-card-for-the-texas-longhorns 

46 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

We'll see how Card performs with the lights on. Casey may get his chance to be the starting QB for the Texas Longhorns before the season is over.

Yeah, CARD now being QB1 means a lot more pressure for him.

• It will be his first ever start at TEXAS
  • It's CFB not high school football
  • DKR will be packed next Saturday
  • The Cajuns have a lot more experienced starters than TEXAS

1 hour ago, Gidnik said:

So minus is the dog and +is the favorite 

Switch that.

Minus is the favorite. Let's say the outcome you bet on is -200. If you bet $200 and that outcome happens, you win a $100 profit.

+200 If you bet $100, you win a $200 profit. Or, to use the same numbers as above, if you bet $200 and win, you get a $400 profit.

I was pulling for Casey no doubt and I think Card is going to take some dick punches. That said, there is one reason to think that he won't be feeling quite the pressure that another RS Freshman would in similar circumstances and that is the presence of a Bijan. That ULL squad is absolutely not going to be able to just tee off on Card with Bijan there. And I guarantee you that Sark will have the quick out passes, tosses to Bijan ready to go as a counter to any pressure ULL tries to bring to shake Card off his game. ULL gets burnt a few times and they'll back off.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Not familiar with this blog, but it's funny... 😋

LarryTheGM        6 hours ago

Why Hudson Card for the Texas Longhorns

https://www.larrythegm.com/post/why-hudson-card-for-the-texas-longhorns 

If he believes that,  he should $200 to win the B12CCG and be done with it . If they can’t win 8 games, what is likelihood of even making the CCG? I’d rather read Larry the Cable Guy’s gambling tips.  

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, THUJONE said:

I was pulling for Casey no doubt and I think Card is going to take some dick punches. That said, there is one reason to think that he won't be feeling quite the pressure that another RS Freshman would in similar circumstances and that is the presence of a Bijan. That ULL squad is absolutely not going to be able to just tee off on Card with Bijan there. And I guarantee you that Sark will have the quick out passes, tosses to Bijan ready to go as a counter to any pressure ULL tries to bring to shake Card off his game. ULL gets burnt a few times and they'll back off.

100% correct, and that goes for the rest of the season. If Bijan stays healthy, no one is going to be able to stop our run game AND our pass game at the same time... 

EDIT: Assuming Kai Money doesn't get hurt.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, THUJONE said:

Because of this, I was really just pulling for who does a better job handing the ball off and throwing short swing passes.

5b1fbf_ead73c05e0354364abd4c2ca53803a45~mv2.webp

I love when people use detailed data tables like this to make their wild guesses look more scientific or informed than...well...wild guesses.

There is literally almost no information to support that Casey improves our chances of getting to 9 wins over Card. Yes, he's a Jr and Card a freshman, but none of us have seen either play enough to say what they're capable of today.

What this article assumes is that Sark is betting on Card as the better long term option despite Casey being a better option today. As far as I can tell, this is based on nothing more than Casey's bowl performance and the fact that he's older. Neither of those means anything in the context of this offense.

Time will tell if Card was the right call, but it bugs me that so much is being assumed about the competition between two players who we really haven't seen operate this offense. Sark's expertise is specifically this position. If Card is his bet, I'll trust it until he proves I shouldn't.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I love when people use detailed data tables like this to make their wild guesses look more scientific or informed than...well...wild guesses.

There is literally almost no information to support that Casey improves our chances of getting to 9 wins over Card. Yes, he's a Jr and Card a freshman, but none of us have seen either play enough to say what they're capable of today.

What this article assumes is that Sark is betting on Card as the better long term option despite Casey being a better option today. As far as I can tell, this is based on nothing more than Casey's bowl performance and the fact that he's older. Neither of those means anything in the context of this offense.

Time will tell if Card was the right call, but it bugs me that so much is being assumed about the competition between two players who we really haven't seen operate this offense. Sark's expertise is specifically this position. If Card is his bet, I'll trust it until he proves I shouldn't.

Simply too many variables involved to be able to come up with an accurate chart. Cherry picked data can show whatever you want.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Because of this, I was really just pulling for who does a better job handing the ball off and throwing short swing passes.

Or hitting on-the-move Receivers properly so we can get higher yards after catches production (YAC)

RBs and TEs have to produce in the passing game this year for TEXAS to be great offensively...

Edited by LTtxfan

8 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

The idea that Casey is nearly a coin flip to lead the team to 9-3 but it's nearly impossible for him to produce 10-2 is pretty funny

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

The tables make it look so much more legit.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Or hitting on-the-move Receivers properly so we can get higher yards after catches production (YAC)

RBs and TEs have to produce in the passing game this year for TEXAS to be great offensively...

Could this be the end of curl routes 2 yards short of the sticks?

The fact that 247 thinks both will play goes along with all of the speculation I have seen on here that Sark may pull one for the other mid season. Everything I have read and seen of Sarks history with QBs is he picks one and sticks with him. I highly doubt there will be much switching or playing time for second string unless there is an illness or injury. He seems to have the same philosophy with all of his starters. And after Herman’s ridiculous roster management it is actually something I am most looking forward to.  

8 hours ago, jinx said:

The fact that 247 thinks both will play goes along with all of the speculation I have seen on here that Sark may pull one for the other mid season. Everything I have read and seen of Sarks history with QBs is he picks one and sticks with him. I highly doubt there will be much switching or playing time for second string unless there is an illness or injury. He seems to have the same philosophy with all of his starters. And after Herman’s ridiculous roster management it is actually something I am most looking forward to.  

Sark knows he needs to win and needs two healthy, capable QBs to minimize  risks for the season. One big knock on Herman was his inability to manage risk. He was not prepared for injuries and had no contingency plan if (when) a key player went down. Under Sark, even before our first game, we have good depth of skilled players with the exception of WR. And even at WR, Sark did what he could to build depth with Worthy.

First saw and heard of Card when Matthew Baldwin tore his ACL first play of the state title game between Lake Travis and Allen. Card was baptized by fire that afternoon, but kept it somewhat close for a while. I remember Fox Sports Southwest interviewing and speaking with Baker Mayfield and a few other LT state champs from the past about their thoughts on Card. Baker and one other guy said something like, "He's doing great. He's making good decisions and is keeping Lake Travis in this game. He'll be great in college wherever he goes."

1 hour ago, Mikey4 said:

Sark knows he needs to win and needs two healthy, capable QBs to minimize  risks for the season. One big knock on Herman was his inability to manage risk. He was not prepared for injuries and had no contingency plan if (when) a key player went down. Under Sark, even before our first game, we have good depth of skilled players with the exception of WR. And even at WR, Sark did what he could to build depth with Worthy.

This right here. For the first time in years I'm confident in the QB play should the starter get injured. 

31 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Just need Card to be a game manager this year. Hand the ball off to Bijan and get the fuck out of the way. Hit the occasional wide open play action pass and don't turn the ball over. 

I mean that'd be cool and all, but how about Card, who was rated the #2 dual threaT QB coming out and who is apparently being raved about on the inside, just whip out his dick and fuck shit up if he's capable? Managing the game is cool for the NFL and Tom Herman, but if the kid has it, turn him loose..... and also feed Bijan.

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 6

We won't see a finished product on Saturday. I'm sure there will be plenty of things of film that Card (and likely Thompson too) will be asked to improve on the following week.

Remember that Sark just put Mac Jones in the league - in the first round. I know we haven't had anything to do for 8 months, but it's time to stop over thinking this. One of the best (if not the best) quarterback teachers in the business picked Hudson Card. He had a choice, and could have picked the guy who tossed 4 TD passes in essentially one half of a football bowl game. Casey Thompson comes highly recommended - and Sark thinks Card is better than that.

He didn't pick Card for a mind game. He did it because playing Husdon Card at QB gives the team the best chance to win the game on Saturday. The unknown is always scary, but a highly rated QB was chosen by a credentialed QB guru to play behind an OL selected and trained by a coach (and colleague of the OC) whose previous unit was recognized as the best in college ball. At that QB's side will be one of the most electrifying backs in the game.

We won't see the finished product on Saturday, but there's a reason why donors with a ton of cash paid 8 figures to dismiss the previous staff. There's an outrageous amount of talent on this team, and they weren't using it. Sark got the best in the business (yes, most of them came from Alabama) to manage this talent. Rather than trying to analyze from 4 levels deep, we're going to see true development that we've been missing for 15 years.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2