TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

24 minutes ago, immamac said:

The whipped dog syndrome of this fan base is real. 

Some call it whipped dog syndrome, others call it the reality of going 78-60 (56%) over the past 11 seasons. Many cope by choosing to believe it when they see it, others cope by predicting 12-0 in the prediction thread every year.

Regardless everyone wants to see the program finally turn it around.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, immamac said:

The whipped dog syndrome of this fan base is real. 

I mean with like one or two exceptions we've been mediocre or worse every season for over a decade, and we're about to head into this season with a totally inexperienced freshman QB, with yet another new coaching staff, led by a Saban assistant who has never done shit as a head coach. He quickly took Washington from being really awful to being OK and never improved from there at all, only to have them become best team in their conference the moment he left while USC... did not. If the results had been there on the field USC wouldn't have cared if he was shotgunning a beer on every play.

It totally might work out. It could. But there's plenty of reason to temper one's optimism here.

Edited by Thermos H. Christ
  • Hook 'Em 1

Even if Card is solid, his supporting cast is not great. Bunch of JAGs on the O line and WR that have difficulty with press coverage. The best team we had was in 2018 when we rolled out LJH and Duvernay - those guys were wizards at extending the chains. Don't see any of our WR having that kind of impact on 3rd down. Josh Moore disappears, Omeire and Dixon hurt, Washington has issues with drops, and Worthy is unproven.

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

Even if Card is solid, his supporting cast is not great. Bunch of JAGs on the O line and WR that have difficulty with press coverage. The best team we had was in 2018 when we rolled out LJH and Duvernay - those guys were wizards at extending the chains. Don't see any of our WR having that kind of impact on 3rd down. Josh Moore disappears, Omeire and Dixon hurt, Washington has issues with drops, and Worthy is unproven.

We also didn't expect that from LJH at all, and even Duvernay was better than expected. Let's see who steps up, is in sync with Card, and can catch the ball. With these RBs, a couple reliable receivers will go a long way.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Right or wrong, this isn't the SEC, yet. And a good QB doesn't need everything to be perfect and wide open, but even so, I have no doubt Sark's gunna be a much better schemer than anyone else who's walked that sideline in over a decade.

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Right or wrong, this isn't the SEC, yet. And a good QB doesn't need everything to be perfect and wide open, but even so, I have no doubt Sark's gunna be a much better schemer than anyone else who's walked that sideline in over a decade.

Big 12 defenses were significantly better than the SEC last year. Stop spreading stupid aggy narratives. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Who was the running back? 

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Drool 1

2 hours ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

He quickly took Washington from being really awful to being OK and never improved from there at all, only to have them become best team in their conference the moment he left while USC...

I'm all for being realistic, but let's not make stuff up. Chris Petersen is a fantastic coach and eventually got UW rolling, but he went 15-12 his first two years. Sark was 15-10 over his last two seasons. 

2012: 7-6 (Sark)

2013: 8-4 (Sark - doesn't count bowl win after he left for USC)

2014: 8-6 (Petersen)

2015: 7-6 (Petersen)

1 minute ago, Texasrocks said:

I'm all for being realistic, but let's not make stuff up. Chris Petersen is a fantastic coach and eventually got UW rolling, but he went 15-12 his first two years. Sark was 15-10 over his last two seasons. 

2012: 7-6 (Sark)

2013: 8-4 (Sark - doesn't count bowl win after he left for USC)

2014: 8-6 (Petersen)

2015: 7-6 (Petersen)

important context here is that Sark was drunk af back then.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Hudson Card’s first big game, the 6A D1 state title against Allen. He was a sophomore and wasn’t expected to play. Matthew Baldwin went down first play of the game with a torn ACL. Allen took a 21-0 lead. Hudson actually brought Lake Travis back and took the lead at one point. Allen escaped with a 35-33 win. If the Cavaliers hadn’t failed their two point conversion try, Card would’ve lead them to victory in overtime I guarantee it.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

I mean with like one or two exceptions we've been mediocre or worse every season for over a decade, and we're about to head into this season with a totally inexperienced freshman QB, with yet another new coaching staff, led by a Saban assistant who has never done shit as a head coach. He quickly took Washington from being really awful to being OK and never improved from there at all, only to have them become best team in their conference the moment he left while USC... did not. If the results had been there on the field USC wouldn't have cared if he was shotgunning a beer on every play.

It totally might work out. It could. But there's plenty of reason to temper one's optimism here.

This is why I was so adamant about Casey being the starter before the announcement.  I want to win this year.  Shit, even Sark has said we arent preparing for season 3 or 4, he wants to win now.  I thought the safe thing to do in that case would have been to go with Casey, but I am super excited to see Card as the lone starter.  Im 100% on board.

I was thinking that if we wanted to win right away, going with the safe option works best in that case, but if we can get the same performance out of Card and train him up for the next 3-4 years, we will have something special by the end of this thing.

2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Hudson Card’s first big game, the 6A D1 state title against Allen. He was a sophomore and wasn’t expected to play. Matthew Baldwin went down first play of the game with a torn ACL. Allen took a 21-0 lead. Hudson actually brought Lake Travis back and took the lead at one point. Allen escaped with a 35-33 win. If the Cavaliers hadn’t failed their two point conversion try, Card would’ve lead them to victory in overtime I guarantee it.

I was at this game actually. Very impressed with how Card played. 

2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Card was throwing some pretty spirals in that game!

I feel bad for Casey, from what I see he did everything in his power to step in after Sam left as the starter.  He’s a baller and looked to have the respect of the team in the Alamo Bowl.  Whatever happens I wish nothing but good things for Casey.  That being said, if Sark thinks Card is the best option I believe him.  Hopefully Card and crew will start steamrolling motherfuckers and put us back on top!

I have watched every game Hudson has played in since he was a freshman, including 7on7 games. I have only seen him have 2 bad games: his Jr year against Westlake and his Jr year against NorthShore. The Northshore team was just flat out better. He was running for his life from the first snap onward. I can't really blame Hudson for that game. The WL game is really the only one I have seen him make the wrong read and play poorly. He is about as consistent as a player can be. He is a gamer. I expect him to make the transition to UT pretty smoothly due to all the prep work he puts in and all of the 7on7 he has played. But I have been wrong before... Regardless, the kid won't quit, wont give up, he will keep grinding and working. He is going to be special at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

I have watched every game Hudson has played in since he was a freshman, including 7on7 games. I have only seen him have 2 bad games: his Jr year against Westlake and his Jr year against NorthShore. The Northshore team was just flat out better. He was running for his life from the first snap onward. I can't really blame Hudson for that game. The WL game is really the only one I have seen him make the wrong read and play poorly. He is about as consistent as a player can be. He is a gamer. I expect him to make the transition to UT pretty smoothly due to all the prep work he puts in and all of the 7on7 he has played. But I have been wrong before... Regardless, the kid won't quit, wont give up, he will keep grinding and working. He is going to be special at Texas.

Well, shit, why didn’t you start with that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, immamac said:

Yeah because bijan sucks and card is a noodle arm INT machine with small hands and the entire defense is a bunch of underweight and slow anemic players.

The majority of this team is returning talent and they lost by a combined 13 to not go undefeated last year. 

The problem hasn't been players or scheme the last 4 years it's been having a stupid shithead egomaniac at head coach who was completely out coached nearly every game. 

Sark and his staff aren't a bunch of smart guys who have never coached 5 stars. They are used to exclusively coaching elite college and pro level talent. 

I get the whole "the last 11 years have been bad" argument, but this isn't charlie fucking strong and his band of complete morons. This also isn't fucking Case McCoy taking over for Colt. 

It's Hudson Card the #2 rated QB in his class and a top 100 recruit beating out an equally impressive redshirt junior in Casey Thompson. If Card has a mental meltdown he will just get yoinked for Casey, but if you think that his mental fortitude is weak then idk what to tell you. There is absolutely no evidence supporting that. 

Buncha dumb fucks in here acting like they want to lose instead of admitting what is in front of their face. This team is good. It's going to win a lot of games. 

image.gif.9bb1495cc2673be3fbf0548fbfeaccc7.gif

Edited by lilMAC25

On 8/30/2021 at 2:27 PM, Pam Cummings said:

I'm fine with Card, lets roll. I just dont like rotating QBs. Having 2 QBs means you have no QB.

Sark never said he was rotating QBs - he said that Casey would play but that he had no idea when or for how long.

Sark likely sees two outcomes:

1.  Card kicks ass and Texas is up big in the second half and Casey comes in to finish the game

or

2.  Card is just okay (or shitty) and he inserts Casey in an attempt to get the offense going.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Sark never said he was rotating QBs - he said that Casey would play but that he had no idea when or for how long.

Sark likely sees two outcomes:

1.  Card kicks ass and Texas is up big in the second half and Casey comes in to finish the game

or

2.  Card is just okay (or shitty) and he inserts Casey in an attempt to get the offense going.

#2 breaks the internet. 

On 8/30/2021 at 10:42 AM, immamac said:

Buncha dumb fucks in here acting like they want to lose instead of admitting what is in front of their face. This team is good. It's going to win a lot of games. 

Fuck yeah.  We’re going to be good. And I’m tired of pretending we’re not.

• Hook 'Em 7

On 8/30/2021 at 10:42 AM, immamac said:

It's Hudson Card the #2 rated QB in his class and a top 100 recruit beating out an equally impressive redshirt junior in Casey Thompson.

In the defense of whipped dog syndrome, Exhibit 1:

image.thumb.png.f18a648c06d0b932f7bbeb1720bbdf66.png

I'm not saying Card is Jerrod Heard, which isn't a sensible comparison for obvious reasons. But I think the members of our fan base have earned the right to be in wait-and-see mode before they buy in 100% on new coaches and new quarterbacks. 

Edited by touchthemonolith
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, touchthemonolith said:

I'm not saying Card is Jerrod Heard, which isn't a sensible comparison for obvious reasons. But I think the members of our fan base have earned the right to be in wait-and-see mode before they buy in 100% on new coaches and new quarterbacks. 

So you’re saying Card likes handys from massage therapist found on Instagram? I figured he’d like doing it himself with his smaller hands 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, touchthemonolith said:

If Jerrod had a real coach and offensive coordinator he could have been really good. 

• Like 1