TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The readers of IT are melting down over this. 

Watching IT come crashing back down to earth after they were sucking their own dicks for signing Card when he was announced as the starter is fun. Those guys get good info but they still need to be hoe checked sometimes. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

The fact that Sark wasted no time naming Casey as the new starter says a lot about Card's performance Saturday. Sark clearly watched the film and didn't like what he saw.

I still think Card will be a baller over time. Just needs more experience

I think it is likely Card never is the full time starter again at Texas, especially if Texas gets Arch.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We’re not talking power run game types of runs. Just take off when your reads aren’t there, slide to avoid being hit, and move the chains. He has a really bad tendency to run horizontal when there are lanes because he’s trying too hard to look down field to pass when he has 10-15 yards of open grass in front. That is causing defenders to be able to close on him and limit gains. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e479g8xuhoi6e1k4dn8e0

Regarding Card running to help extend drives -- not a power running QB

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I think it is likely Card never is the full time starter again at Texas, especially if Texas gets Arch.

Disagree unless he transfers. Card is young and inexperienced but was the starter for a reason. He has better tools and must have been better in practice. Just needs more experience.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Are those lemmings not allowed to disagree from the mods?

They 1000% bought into and hung onto everything the mods said and now with Casey being the starter it's meltdown time because they feel that it's Card's birth right to be the starting QB because of the mods all spring/summer

• Hook 'Em 2

I don’t care how strong Card’s arm strength is if he’s missing wide open guys downfield and not seeing where to go with the ball. Give Thompson a shot and let’s see how the team does against TCU - the next defense with a pulse. 

IT melting down over this is hilarious and predictable. Sorry you gave that NIL money to Card…

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Everyone needs to put things in perspective and have some patience with Hudson. Casey might be the better option right now, idk, but it's idiotic to write off Card completely (most of you aren't doing that, but still). This type of impatience and shortsightedness is fucking toxic in the era of social media.

Card was in his 2nd game ever, after a redshirt year where he didn't even get 2nd string reps, learning a brand new system, in a very hostile environment, with WR drops, shit pass pro and shit run game. 

Give him time. Sark is a QB mastermind and Card has the tools. Most of the issues yesterday were related to inexperience (pocket presence, going through progressions) and were exacerbated by the lack of help around him. Maybe he needs some time at backup until he gets more comfortable in the offense, but he still has a very bright future. 

So... if you want to give a RS-FR time to adjust, start him and lose games now, so he's ready in the future.  

Not my horse to die on... 

(this one is mine, mix your own damn metaphors...)

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

We need to get Whittington over his dropsies. He is a star in the making. The dude gets open and works like an RB with the ball in his hands. Needs about 10 targets a game. He’s the guy that can open up the run game too.

The Oline may not have been good, but we missed on big play after big play. Hit two of those and it’s a different game. It was 23-7 late 3rd when the 4th down happened. If we’re sitting at 23-17 there, who knows where it goes. The Oline was not the issue in the 2nd half. That doesn’t mean they were great, but they had found some footing.

J witt needs this 

cliffordfranklin clifford franklin Ted Ginn, Miami Dolphins, Stick-em, The Replacements, Ted Ginn Jr. GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Snacks said:

So... if you want to give a RS-FR time to adjust, start him and lose games now, so he's ready in the future.  

I didn't say Card should be the starter now. He will get valuable reps in practice too. Just saying people shouldn't be writing off his future.

41 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Imagine if this was HS and the coach’s mentality is giving the freshman reps will pay off down the road versus starting the Junior. This is happening at my old high school and it’s causing a GD revolt. Played the Junior this week and won as the underdog. 

I want to win now. Fuck this helping Card down the road. Card hits Whittington and Worthy when they’re wide open, the game is different. They couldn’t get any momentum. Also when they’re dropping 8 and LBs are 10 yards off, tuck the ball and get some yardage. 
Thanks for attending my Surly talk. 

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I didn't say Card should be the starter now. He will get valuable reps in practice too. Just saying people shouldn't be writing off his future.

ah... yeah... i don't know about his future. he could end up winning a super bowl ring like Garrett Gilbert... I know he isn't going to win one this year.

6 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

One mistake. One bad pass late into the flat that should have been intercepted. Otherwise, he played the best half of football at QB in a Texas uniform since Colt McCoy. But I'm not going to quibble with the overall tenor of the comment because we have a way, way too small sample size with Thompson.

Regardless, I've been pulling for Casey the entire time because there really would be nothing in the world sweeter than beating OU's ass in the Cottonbowl with Charles Thompson's kid as our QB. 

This is what I keep coming back to.  There's no fucking way Casey walks into the Cotton Bowl with the same shell-shocked look that we saw from most of our team on Saturday.  He knows what that game means, so let's get him the reps to make the most of it.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

One mistake. One bad pass late into the flat that should have been intercepted. Otherwise, he played the best half of football at QB in a Texas uniform since Colt McCoy. But I'm not going to quibble with the overall tenor of the comment because we have a way, way too small sample size with Thompson.

Regardless, I've been pulling for Casey the entire time because there really would be nothing in the world sweeter than beating OU's ass in the Cottonbowl with Charles Thompson's kid as our QB. 

This is incorrect. It's possible to make mistakes on plays that don't have bad results. The long touchdown pass to Dixon in the Alamo bowl was a wobbling duck that was underthrown by 4 yards, for example. The mistakes Thompson has made in his limited playing time are not as likely to kill drives as Card's, but he has absolutely made plenty. Hopefully he works those out soon and starts playing as well as lots of this board erroneously thinks he already has.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This is incorrect. It's possible to make mistakes on plays that don't have bad results. The long touchdown pass to Dixon in the Alamo bowl was a wobbling duck that was underthrown by 4 yards, for example. The mistakes Thompson has made in his limited playing time are not as likely to kill drives as Card's, but he has absolutely made plenty. Hopefully he works those out soon and starts playing as well as lots of this board erroneously thinks he already has.

Yeah he threw that off his back foot, he also threw early enough in the route that it allowed a wide open receiver to adjust to it and still run away from the defender.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I hope he keeps making more of those mistakes that end up in long touchdowns. We need a lot more of those types of mistakes and fewer of the kind that end up with us getting our heads kicked in by a bunch of sister fucking hillbillies on national TV.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

Card probably is the better practice player because of his natural tools but yeah the inexperience came out on gameday. He needs time to get more comfortable in the pocket and running the offense. Some extra time observing should be good for him. Casey doesn't have much non-garbage game tape either but seems to be a gamer, so could def be the better option now.

Considering all that, not too surprising Sark chose Card initially. I'm actually a little surprised he didn't make Rice basically a 50/50 open competition game and keep Card as starter one more week to restore some confidence, but Casey probably the right choice for now.

I agree with you. My thoughts are if it were so close why not go with the guy who has more experience (albeit miniscule) over potential, especially against a team who absolutely loathes Texas. Regardless, I still think Card is the guy long-term, but I think he needs to sit and watch for a bit. We knew he would have an up and down season being it's his first and all. Like Casey, I think Card just needs to come off the bench in mop up duty just to get a feel for the speed of the game. I don't know how Casey will play, but he seems like he has something to prove, so let's hope that translates into wins. The season isn't a wash and there is plenty of time for Card to learn. 

I trust Sark with the decision. I wouldn’t have pitched a fit if he stuck with Card.  To me, the change suggests Sark saw some pretty catastrophic shit on the field. Like cratering the entire offense with indecisive play, which he basically spelled out in the PC.

The change is also a tacit admission that it was a mistake to not play Casey sooner.

• Hook 'Em 1

Card's feet in the pocket on Saturday were a stark contrast from Casey's.  I mean passing feet, not scrambling.  Casey got his base quickly, took small chops to work his progression, always ready to throw.

Card's feet looked wide and hoppy and never quite set right to throw.  If there were imtermediate routes breaking open, Card didn't look ready to pull the trigger.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Starfleet Command said:

lol Ian is so dug in on Card.  

Sark could evaluate Card and Thompson in nothing but practice scenarios for 80 months and still land on Card, but the thing about all that is there's no way to simulate and then know how a QB will respond to the type of environment he faced on Saturday until he actually does. Hall of Fame practice player, and all that...

Disagree unless he transfers. Card is young and inexperienced but was the starter for a reason. He has better tools and must have been better in practice. Just needs more experience.

This staff was familiar with Card even before they got here. Jeff Banks was his primary recruiter at Bama. IMHO They were always going to learn more towards Card unless Casey set the stage on fire. Now it seems like we wasted valuable reps in practice splitting between the two QBs instead of choosing one as the starter early on and giving him the majority of the reps. Both of our QBs are raw so the starter perhaps could have used the additional reps.

ok....for sure out Oline sucked, our Def line sucked and not much worked.....but even with all this....had we had STELLAR QB play, we would have won that game!...Y'all know thats true. A stellar QB can make up for all kinds of deficiencies.

Well, we aint got a stellar QB. Nowhere near it. I just want a guy that may help us win games. Right now I fear Card aint that guy. I dont know if Casey is either, but I am willing to bet he might be closer than Card.....right now...