TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

5 hours ago, wood said:

I love Peyton's comment there re: kids making a big deal of announcing at press conferences, with the hat switches, etc. Meanwhile, after possibly the most celebrated recruitment in CFB history, Arch issues one simple tweet: Commited to the University of Texas.

Says a whole lot about the kid, imho. HookEm.

Peyton's a fucking boss.  Real G's move in silence.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Ewers got a two year head start on Arch, which is more than he needs. Ewers got friends in every town and village from here to the Ohio, he speaks a dozen languages, knows every local coverage, he'll blend in, disappear, you'll never see him again. With any luck, he's got the Heisman already.

9242D1C9-5259-49AB-980D-E4F4566EFE71.gif.ecfe137d2472dddd02c37e37a2a8e573.gif

• Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 12:29 PM, oldhorn2 said:

....maybe....somehow I have that little niggling concern about our Oline and Dline being championship ready right out of the gate. Maybe by the end of the year with no major injuries( has that ever happened?) we might be pretty good. However, sometimes you have to go undefeated to win the Natty....

The bengals line was shit this year. They made a super bowl run based off QB play and skill positions. Having elite talent around a Qb can hide your OL deficiencies. I predict at least 3 true freshmen starting by midway through the season. Banks and Campbell likely game 1 starters 

8 hours ago, markstanco said:

I’m not being a Debbie downer, but I bet more than 10 of you are in the same boat as me. Pen to paper in December. Got dang I want this to happen but I’m not sold until the end.

There’s what 1000+ posters here?  Of course there’s going to be at least ten pussies

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 8:53 PM, Texasrocks said:

I'm glad we have both, but I'd take Ewers over Arch any day. Ewers is a better athlete, has a stronger arm, played better competition, and earned the hype. Arch appears to be both really good and over-rated. It's pretty ideal for the next couple of years. We get Ewers on the field and Arch providing a recruiting bump.

I am just happy we have both. I look at the NFL as a guide on QBs, that tells me raw arm talent is worth much less than fans and scouts give it. Guys like Peyton, Brees, Montana, and Brady were not guys that would win long pass competitions. THe NFL HOF has plenty of QBs with average to below average arms. Great QB play is more about the ability to read defenses in a timely manner and accuracy. That is why the list of greatest QBs to play the game is not topped by QBs with howitzers for an arm. Ewers and Manning both have more than enough arm to be successful. Ewers has the higher upside, but Manning has developed in a much less talented offense. That may have helped his development. One of the big problems with big arm QBs from powerhouse programs is they have not developed the ability to anticipate, because they did not have the need. I just hope we can have a spirited debate on the Ewers and Manning in 5 years comparing two Texas legends and which 1st round pick was better 

58 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I am just happy we have both. I look at the NFL as a guide on QBs, that tells me raw arm talent is worth much less than fans and scouts give it. Guys like Peyton, Brees, Montana, and Brady were not guys that would win long pass competitions. THe NFL HOF has plenty of QBs with average to below average arms. Great QB play is more about the ability to read defenses in a timely manner and accuracy. That is why the list of greatest QBs to play the game is not topped by QBs with howitzers for an arm. Ewers and Manning both have more than enough arm to be successful. Ewers has the higher upside, but Manning has developed in a much less talented offense. That may have helped his development. One of the big problems with big arm QBs from powerhouse programs is they have not developed the ability to anticipate, because they did not have the need. I just hope we can have a spirited debate on the Ewers and Manning in 5 years comparing two Texas legends and which 1st round pick was better 

Peyton had a very strong arm before his neck issues. Heck, once his arm strength fully left him he had to retire. Brees had an average arm, but his arm strength became an issue at the end of his career too. Brady being able to maintain his from dropping any more than it has is the most remarkable thing about his training methods.

Arm strength is not just about how far you can throw it, but more about how fast you can get the ball to a certain spot on the field. It is a big deal, but anticipation and accuracy are more important.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Peyton had a very strong arm before his neck issues. Heck, once his arm strength fully left him he had to retire. Brees had an average arm, but his arm strength became an issue at the end of his career too. Brady being able to maintain his from dropping any more than it has is the most remarkable thing about his training methods.

Arm strength is not just about how far you can throw it, but more about how fast you can get the ball to a certain spot on the field. It is a big deal, but anticipation and accuracy are more important.

Read somewhere Brady’s arm got stronger as he got older.   But bottom line a lot of busts had strong arms.  Looking at you Kyle boller 

47 minutes ago, Atticus said:

https://allfortennessee.com/2018/04/26/nfl-draft-manning-leaf/amp/

Peyton never had a cannon, that is revisionist history. Younger surly posters will probably laugh at the idea that it was a debate between Manning and Ryan Lief going #1. Leif was the more athletic and big armed QB. He was consider to have the higher ceiling. Manning was the safe option. Like I said none of those guys had cannons. That said we seem to agree on the general point that fans and scouts over-rate arm strength 

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Read somewhere Brady’s arm got stronger as he got older.   But bottom line a lot of busts had strong arms.  Looking at you Kyle boller 

The consensus top 2 QBs all-time are probably Montana and Brady. I think if there is one trait that stands out on both of them it was the ability to get the ball out quickly and accurately in the short passing game. That wasn’t all they did, but the part of the game I think they were the best at

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

https://allfortennessee.com/2018/04/26/nfl-draft-manning-leaf/amp/

Peyton never had a cannon, that is revisionist history. Younger surly posters will probably laugh at the idea that it was a debate between Manning and Ryan Lief going #1. Leif was the more athletic and big armed QB. He was consider to have the higher ceiling. Manning was the safe option. Like I said none of those guys had cannons. That said we seem to agree on the general point that fans and scouts over-rate arm strength 

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/ph67a3/the_myth_about_tom_brady_and_peyton_mannings_arm/

25 minutes ago, Atticus said:

So your evidence is Brady self-reporting throwing 61 mph in sumner with no pads and they compare that to Mahommes hitting 62 in 2017. That appears really scientific. If you think Brady, Mahommes, and Allen have almost identical arm strength, I am not sure what to do other then laugh 

Edited by Codaxx

39 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

So your evidence is Brady self-reporting throwing 61 mph in sumner with no pads and they compare that to Mahommes hitting 62 in 2017. That appears really scientific. If you think Brady, Mahommes, and Allen have almost identical arm strength, I am not sure what to do other then laugh 

Don't get upset bud, just posted a link that had just as much or more proof in it as yours. Multiple people regarded Peyton as having a strong arm before his neck stuff though. Even Madden had him at or near the top in the league for arm strength back then.

It doesn't really matter though. Just thought it was funny to see that narrative out there.

22 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Don't get upset bud, just posted a link that had just as much or more proof in it as yours. Multiple people regarded Peyton as having a strong arm before his neck stuff though. Even Madden had him at or near the top in the league for arm strength back then.

It doesn't really matter though. Just thought it was funny to see that narrative out there.

You are funny.  Per your own data, Manning was on the lower end of QB velocity, but you insist on arguing against me saying he did not have a cannon. It seems you are invested in arguing your own perceived narrative, not my statement. The point on your rebuttal article was simple, none of this “data” was collected in a clinical manner. It is random numbers from random conditions, which makes it pretty much worthless. Not sure laughing at the idea that Manning and Brady have similar arm strength to Allen and Mahommes makes me mad, I believe it makes me capable of observing the obvious 

Edited by Codaxx

Peytons greatest attribute was his ability to read defenses and check into the best play pre-snap then execute that play with precision. Peyton spent entire off seasons watching film of nfl defenses and learning tendencies based on what defenses show pre snap. Quick release and accuracy is what he depended on. 

Hopefully Arch has spent time with Peyton and Eli learning how to read defenses and understanding the weakness in the pre snap alignment and looking for tendencies of upcoming opponents. 

19 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Ewers got a two year head start on Arch, which is more than he needs. Ewers got friends in every town and village from here to the Ohio, he speaks a dozen languages, knows every local coverage, he'll blend in, disappear, you'll never see him again. With any luck, he's got the Heisman already.

R.962ff8e826e8a47ac7e0b35b7f3d18ab?rik=t

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, BB65 said:

Peytons greatest attribute was his ability to read defenses and check into the best play pre-snap then execute that play with precision. Peyton spent entire off seasons watching film of nfl defenses and learning tendencies based on what defenses show pre snap. Quick release and accuracy is what he depended on. 

Hopefully Arch has spent time with Peyton and Eli learning how to read defenses and understanding the weakness in the pre snap alignment and looking for tendencies of upcoming opponents. 

It’s stupid, but I did think “damn, how cool would it be that if Texas could get Peyton to stop by and do a film session with the QB room”. Not happening, but one can hope 

3 hours ago, BB65 said:

nope....preposterous idea. Why in the world would a kid dreaming of starring in the NFL someday ever watch a game with his two super bowl champ uncles? Hell, I bet they never ever threw the ball around either....

• Haha 1

There are only two high schools in the US with two Super Bowl MVP QB's.  

Isidore Newman HS 
Austin Westlake

Ironically, our Chaps played Quinn Ewers in the 2020 6A D1 state championship. We won, but I got to watch a QB who played on an amazing level for a HS player. We put incredible pressure on him all game and he kept bringing it, scoring 35 points on our D which had previously given up 70 for the season. I'm glad we've got Arch Manning, but I'm rolling with Quinn. He is going to star here for the next two years. You can hold me to it.

Q1.jpg

So can somebody explain how Ewers is the highest rated QB recruit ever tied only with VY? Granted I only saw little bits and pieces from the Spring game and he seems fine.

But really? A VY level QB? What is the basis for this judgement? Should I be ready to be blown away come September 3rd? And why is there even a serious discussion that Hudson Card might start if Ewers is really that good? Card is no 2002 Chris Sims, he isn't even 1999 Chris Sims. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

So can somebody explain how Ewers is the highest rated QB recruit ever tied only with VY? Granted I only saw little bits and pieces from the Spring game and he seems fine.

But really? A VY level QB? What is the basis for this judgement? Should I be ready to be blown away come September 3rd? And why is there even a serious discussion that Hudson Card might start if Ewers is really that good? Card is no 2002 Chris Sims, he isn't even 1999 Chris Sims. 

I would argue that Ewers is a better, more polished, all-around QB coming out of HS than VY. If you recall, VY red-shirted and then he had mixed results for his first two playing seasons. Even his 2004 season had some ups and downs until Mack adjusted the offense to match his skill set. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

I would argue that Ewers is a better, more polished, all-around QB coming out of HS than VY. If you recall, VY red-shirted and then he had mixed results for his first two playing seasons. Even his 2004 season had some ups and downs until Mack adjusted the offense to match his skill set. 

Yeah but even as a red-shirt you could tell this dude was almost super-naturally talented. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Yep, his feet and size got him out of a lot of broken plays.  Then defenses had to account for this and the passing game opened up like SA's mom after three glasses of wine.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah but even as a red-shirt you could tell this dude was almost super-naturally talented. 

Not if you only watched him throw.  A running QB will always look more “amazing” to the casual eye test on tape.  The best thing about Quinn’s highlights is that they are casually mundane.  Every throw on the money with the right touch and velocity.  No histrionics necessary, just a perfect throw and the receiver catches it.  I could get used to that life as a fan.

Edited by Darth Tron
Added specificity
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Even in HS school you could tell VY was super-talented but super-talented players sometimes don't pan out. We haven't seen Quinn play in college yet, but to my untrained eye, he has more of the overall skills required to be successful QB at an earlier stage in his career.  

4 hours ago, Darth Tron said:

The best thing about Quinn’s highlights is that they are casually mundane. 

And those casually mundane talents are reasonably judged to be the best ever coming out of High School? How is that? What about Ewers is special?

Every throw on the money with the right touch and velocity.  No histrionics necessary, just a perfect throw and the receiver catches it.  I could get used to that life as a fan.

I mean most college capable QBs can make an on the money throw with the right touch and velocity. If he does it truly every time than sure I get it. I guess that is something to be excited about. Are we going to see Colt McCoy 2008 and 2009 type completion percentages as he develops?

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Are we going to see Colt McCoy 2008 and 2009 type completion percentages as he develops?

I'm hoping Ewers can avoid too many interceptions in 2022 and throw for over 3000 yds -- but I expect some struggles just like Colt had in his first couple of years.

Colt's 2007 season wasn't nearly as good as 2008 & 2009 -- 18 interceptions & 65% completion pct.

Screenshot_20220629-205947_kindlephoto-7878558.png.2715c76a73712a43c90e49b5f16044d4.png

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Which may be a similar issue for Ewers in 2022 right ??  🙄

I mean projections are we’re starting 3 freshmen? Certainly 5-6 out of incoming 8 OL will be in the rotation? (I may have my numbers off)

Reality is our OL will be rough and god help our defense. We’ll probably score a good amount but what’s our real ceiling even in a rebuilding BigXII?

I’m hoping Ewers and his beautiful mullet really puts a bandaid on our team, but I also don’t know what justifies the hype. Hopefully he earns it on the field. Also I think the only ones pushing Card are 9.95ers who love clicks. I don’t think we lined up millions in NIL to bench this kid 

They were all A+ rated QBs out of high school. They’re a 10 out 10. There’s no 11.

Not if you only watched him throw.  A running QB will always look more “amazing” to the casual eye test on tape.  The best thing about Quinn’s highlights is that they are casually mundane.  Every throw on the money with the right touch and velocity.  No histrionics necessary, just a perfect throw and the receiver catches it.  I could get used to that life as a fan.

This is what sold me, the casualness of that one practice video where he’s effortlessly hitting guys on medium out plays along the sideline. He’s making 30-40 yard throws with the flick of a his wrist.

VY was still so raw, at least passing-wise. The Michigan Rose Bowl was on LHN last night. I watched the entirety of the drive in the second quarter where we scored to take a 14-7 lead. It was a 12-play, 58-yard drive, I think. All the throws were short and almost dumpoffs. GDGD and Mack were still being careful with VY, at least throwing the ball. VY’s brilliance also included his threat as a runner.

Ewers will make some mistakes until he catches up to the speed of the game but the arm tools are there. I can’t wait to see him.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, C-Man said:

This is what sold me, the casualness of that one practice video where he’s effortlessly hitting guys on medium out plays along the sideline. He’s making 30-40 yard throws with the flick of a his wrist.

VY was still so raw, at least passing-wise. The Michigan Rose Bowl was on LHN last night. I watched the entirety of the drive in the second quarter where we scored to take a 14-7 lead. It was a 12-play, 58-yard drive, I think. All the throws were short and almost dumpoffs. GDGD and Mack were still being careful with VY, at least throwing the ball. VY’s brilliance also included his threat as a runner.

Ewers will make some mistakes until he catches up to the speed of the game but the arm tools are there. I can’t wait to see him.

VY also had zero fucks to give.  It was infectious.  Mistake?  Fuck it, get back out there.  Bad pass.  Fuck it.  The rest of the team fed off that attitude.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

SO looking at the QB room I see we have Quinn Ewers, Hudson Card, Maalik Murphy, Charles Wright(who's on the headset signaling in the plays), Ben Ballard and then a kid named Cole Lourd. Who the fuck is Cole Lourd?! 

He's on the Big-12 Commissioner's Honor Roll, so I'd guess it's partly for GPA. But I suspect that the real reason likely lies in the last paragraph.

HIGH SCHOOL
Earned a 247Sports Composite ranking of three stars and the No. 51 pro-style quarterback … named a three-star prospect by 247Sports ... had his senior season canceled due to COVID-19... a two-year starter who finished his career 5,355 passing yards and 58 touchdowns through the air … threw 13 interceptions on 589 attempts … rushed for 404 career yards and seven touchdowns ... led the Eagles to a 16-3-1 record during his sophomore and junior seasons 2020 ... passed for 2,833 yards and 32 touchdowns and rushed for 213 yard and six touchdowns his junior season ... threw for 2,299 yards and 25 touchdowns with a completion percentage of 64.1 percent (152-of-237) during his sophomore year ... participated in the Elite 11 regional in Los Angeles … played for head coach Jake Ford … also played lacrosse for the Eagles

PERSONAL
Grandfather, Jim Bob Moffett, played tackle on the Longhorns 1959 SWC championship team under coach Darrell Royal and was inducted into the Texas Athletics Hall of Honor in 1990.

8 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Who the fuck is Cole Lourd?! 

Cole is a 2021 PWO

Old write-up

Cole Lourd’s path to UT highlights Sarkisian’s level of involvement

Justin Wells         Feb 9, 2021 

The story of how a player talented enough to pick up an offer as a freshman from Lane Kiffin, and then again as a junior, ended up signing as a preferred walk-on at Texas.

“Basically, Coach Beck, Coach Giles, and a few other coaches followed me back in sophomore year but I didn’t hear much from them.

The first time coach I heard from was Coach Larry Fedora as he was inviting me to camp. Then, Coach Beck started hitting me up about camp, and I ended up coming to the Austin and playing well. I could’ve played better, but I got to meet Coach Herman, Beck, and Fedora, who are all great coaches. Then, I came to a game during my junior year, where I got to know Coach John Michael Jones. That spring, my recruitment started to heat up and I received offers from many D1 schools.

At that point, Texas had Jalen Milroe committed, and wasn’t looking for anyone else. Once Jalen de-committed, I immediately hit up Coach Jones and told him that I wanted to be the QB at Texas. A few days later, they took Charles Wright, but JM Jones told me that I still could be a PWO there, they just don’t have an offer. Coach Herman actually offered me the PWO over FaceTime and I was fired up. Although I had many other offers, UT always had a special place in my heart and I kept them in mind.

Then, when Coach Herman got fired, I wasn’t sure if my PWO was still there or not. During this time, I was still talking to many schools that offered me scholarships, but my plan was to wait until Signing Day.

As Signing Day crept up, LSU continued to relentlessly pursue me and eventually, two days before Signing Day, they offered me an official scholarship offer. This was a huge deal to me and I was absolutely fired up, as my dad is an alum and I’ve grown up watching LSU. I’d been in touch with them throughout my entire recruitment, and felt like that was going to be the spot. One day before Signing Day, I received a late PWO offer at UCLA, which I was excited about, but still felt like it was between LSU and Texas. So, I called all of the coaches that I had been talking to and told them that I would not be attending their school.

I was down to LSU, Texas, and UCLA the night before signing day when Coach Sark gave me a call. I had already been talking a lot with JM Jones and Coach Milwee, but had not gotten to talk to Coach Sark yet. Our call went amazing, and really made me rethink if LSU was the best spot for me. The next morning, NSD, I was so conflicted, and decided I needed more time to decide. I had great talks with the coaches at both UT and LSU, and I was very confused. I texted Coach Sark to see if he could talk again and he immediately got on the phone to talk to me and my dad.

After that talk, I started feeling like UT was the right fit for me. I took the night to keep thinking and woke up today feeling the same way, when I finally decided that UT was going to be the place for me. I had three very tough calls to make to Coach Peetz, Coach Callaway, and Coach Ponamsky at LSU, as I have built such good relationships with them. I have no doubt they will be back playing at the championship level soon, but I needed to make the best decision for myself. No love lost for LSU, but I just knew Texas was the best fit for me. After these calls, I immediately FaceTimed JM Jones to break the news to him, as we have built such a great relationship and he is the reason why Texas initially stayed in my recruitment.

Then, I FaceTimed Coach Milwee and let him know, which he was fired up to hear and have me become part of the QB room. Then after that, I FaceTimed Coach Sark and let him know the news, which he was very excited to hear. And now, I’m a Longhorn.”

Lourd was extremely thankful for JM Jones, “I wouldn’t have signed with Texas if it wasn’t for him.”

#####

Finding a PWO as talented as Lourd is an outlier, but the standard from this story, aside Jones’ doggedness on the PWO trail, is Sarkisian’s proactive accessibility.

This isn’t the first time we’ve heard of Sarkisian getting a “you up?” text and being on the phone minutes later. Not only is Sarkisian’s level of involvement in recruiting impressing people, his relatability and demeanor is winning them over.

When we say there are the hints of a UT recruiting uprising in the making, it largely stems from his personal interactions with these blue-chip recruits and the excitement he’s creating with them.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, “need some commits!” Yes, we know, the processes are in place to ensure the fan base is going to be quite happy with the results of the class

20 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Cole is a 2021 PWO

Old write-up

Cole Lourd’s path to UT highlights Sarkisian’s level of involvement

Justin Wells         Feb 9, 2021 

The shiny effect on the second image is terrible.  It's like it permeates to his whole body, his face, his skin.  Good Lourd my man. 

Edited by EvilCaseMcCoy

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

VY also had zero fucks to give.  It was infectious.  Mistake?  Fuck it, get back out there.  Bad pass.  Fuck it.  The rest of the team fed off that attitude.

No doubt. VY was a leader of men and a winner. Remember his call to arms -- "Anybody who wants to win a national championship, meet me at the fields at 6 AM" or whatever it was. He could carry guys on his back. His teams were also insanely talented. We'll need to see what Ewers brings there but the stereotypical QB talent is there. He's more a prototype QB than VY ever was, or would be.