TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

25 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Just rewatched. And my drunk ass was right, both deep ball over throws had defenders right with Worthy as the pass came in. Its entirely possible they were intentional over throws when he realized the deferders were too close for such a long developing pass. 

He held the ball too long on his 1st pass, and on the pass to Worthy that he threw out of the back of the EZ that set up the 1st FGA. Both times Worthy was open before the safety had time to come from center field. Monroe played a single high safety on Worthy's side the entire game, they weren't going to let him beat them deep.

8 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

How do you think I've won 4 consecutive fantasy football championships, dickhead?  

Fantasy football? Damn. Well, as long as it is life-affirming for you, keep it up - you get those results a few more times and you're looking at some 7, 8, 9 mill a year offers coming in. 

I believe it was a Mr. Muschamp who - to my thinking - correctly summarized statistics in sports. A Mr. Royal said that while it was apparently true that time-of-possession and rushing yardage both identified game winners almost 90% of the time, he preferred scoreboard control, as it was 100% accurate.

• Like 1

Just now, Tex Long said:

Fantasy football? Damn. Well, as long as it is life-affirming for you, keep it up - you get those results a few more times and you're looking at some 7, 8, 9 mill a year offers coming in. 

I believe it was a Mr. Muschamp who - to my thinking - correctly summarized statistics in sports. A Mr. Royal said that while it was apparently true that time-of-possession and rushing yardage both identified game winners almost 90% of the time, he preferred scoreboard control, as it was 100% accurate.

I don't even play fantasy football-  that was a joke.

Note to self-  do not share stats on this board if they aren't 100% predictive.  They do not offer valuable context or information whatsoever.  

11 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

On won side of this debate you have Muschamp and on the other you have Belichick. Hmmm, I wonder which one I would align my opinion

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, 40acredropout said:

I don't even play fantasy football-  that was a joke.

Note to self-  do not share stats on this board if they aren't 100% predictive.  They do not offer valuable context or information whatsoever.  

I see your mistake. ALL statistics are predictive, not all of them are correctly so, ever. The usefulness lies in the pre- part, if there's any use at all. Even then, the ability to apply prediction to your team is not guaranteed.

Hmmm. Maybe we should all take up fantasy football, after all.

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

On won side of this debate you have Muschamp and on the other you have Belichick. Hmmm, I wonder which one I would align my opinion

First, see which one is better at fantasizing? It may not be useful, statistically speaking, as it does not appear we can actually hire either one.

I'm going to cut Ewers some slack. First live game in two years. Anyone expecting him to come out in week one and suddenly be in Heisman contention needs to slow their roll. He made some bad throws. But he settled down and managed the game pretty well, IMO. At least he wasn't underthrowing his deep balls, or missing 7 to 10 yards wide. That's an improvement over what we had. 

• Hook 'Em 8

I thought Ewers had a very good game. For a freshman I thought he had fabulous game. For a freshman that has never thrown a pass in a college game I thought he was amazingly good. What I dont understand  is how high some of these posters have set the bar for him. What in hell did they expect?

Add to that , he is playing behind an O line that had 2 freshmen. Damn!.....I cant wait. Our offense has a chance to just get better and better with experience. Hell by end of season we might even be able to give Kansas a game....

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 40acredropout said:

I’m not saying it’s some perfect end all, be all but this is a bad take.  Did you say same thing about WAR and other sabermetric stats when people started referring to them over batting average, RBI’s and pitcher wins?

It’s an attempt to grade every player on every play using an objective, consistent system.  It no doubt has issues and we are talking about sample size issues with Quinn’s grade but I wouldn’t throw it out entirely.   

I like football stats and am always interested to hear what story they're telling.

I also think it's considerably more difficult to isolate and measure individual performance in football than it is in baseball

I don't see anything about completions off target on there. I think he's just getting dinged a lot for the 2 interceptable balls on such a small sample size, along with the poor deep accuracy.
Side note but I'm assuming TTT is time to throw? Look at the 2021 difference between Card and Casey

You also should look to the play action versus non-play action sacks numbers then compare those around the league.

The TTT of when pressured versus not pressured was surprising to me as well. But that was pretty consistent across different QBs. But Card’s data when compared to others is not. It’s also counter to the narrative about our pass blocking.

4 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

I thought Ewers had a very good game. For a freshman I thought he had fabulous game. For a freshman that has never thrown a pass in a college game I thought he was amazingly good. What I dont understand  is how high some of these posters have set the bar for him. What in hell did they expect?

Add to that , he is playing behind an O line that had 2 freshmen. Damn!.....I cant wait. Our offense has a chance to just get better and better with experience. Hell by end of season we might even be able to give Kansas a game....

He looked like Joe Montana compared to Hudson Card

2 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

I saw no evidence of pant shitting from Ewers. When he was flushed, he stayed calm, kept his eyes downfield, and threw strikes. The long passes were likely nerves, but he didn't let them get him down. Needs to chill a little and get the ball out faster on deep routes. Carry on.

I wasn’t implying he will shit his pants.  I liked his first game.  I was just saying that we know the other guy will shit his pants, so let’s go with the guy who has shown signs that he’s not a pantshitter.

18 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

I saw no evidence of pant shitting from Ewers. When he was flushed, he stayed calm, kept his eyes downfield, and threw strikes. The long passes were likely nerves, but he didn't let them get him down. Needs to chill a little and get the ball out faster on deep routes. Carry on.

Best thing I saw from Ewers was him looking down field until the last moment and then turning and flipping it to JS for a big yac gain since he knew his outlet was there. Casey and Card consistently failed to look to their wide open outlet last year.

On 9/4/2022 at 9:59 AM, dcar00 said:

Ewers looked good.  Like all QB's his gonna miss some throws.  the biggest thing was how he moved in the pocket. Sure it was ULM so the protection is going to be good but you can tell the game isn't too fast for him.  He was late to Worthy before the half because he didn't react quite fast enough to the DB going flat footed on Worthy.  probably a bit gun shy not wanting to throw INT and give up FG chance.

Bama is a whole different kettle of fish, so not going to get to concerned if we can't hold up the rush.   It's chalked up as a loss and maybe a blowout by the media so hopefully the team comes out with the nothing to lose attitude.

Honestly this is somewhat of a "trap game" for Bama. We could ball out and use every trick play in the book because our kids literally have nothing to lose. 

Why Quinn Ewers' car got towed ahead of Texas vs. Alabama football

By BRAD CRAWFORD      98 minutes ago

Texas football quarterback Quinn Ewers had his sports car towed during the Longhorns' Week 1 win over Louisiana Monroe. There is a good reason for the snafu, according to Pete Thamel.

"I did some deep investigating reporting today, I found out there was a parking pass mix-up between Quinn and his family," Thamel said this week on College Football Live. "He put the wrong parking pass on his Porsche, so the Ewers family took a little family trip to the tow lot, which is at the Texas softball field. Two-hundred beans later, the Ewers got their Porsche back and Quinn went on with (his) Saturday night."

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian addressed Ewers' parking ticket on Monday.

"He's got to park where he's supposed to park," Sarkisian said ahead of this weekend's showdown against top-ranked Alabama.

Ewers finished his first college start 16-of-24 passing for 225 yards, two touchdowns and one interception.

Ewers explained that he did not have much in the way of nerves coming into the game, although he threw an interception on his second pass of Texas' opening drive.

"I'm actually kind of surprised that I didn't," Ewers said of his lack of nerves. "I didn't have really any butterflies going into today. Maybe a little bit on the first play, but not even as much as I did in high school. It was just kind of weird, but I liked it. I enjoyed the game. It was a lot of fun."

Ewers and Texas face a much larger test — and stage — in Week 2, with the Crimson Tide coming to visit in perhaps the most highly-anticipated game of the 2022 season. Sarkisian banks on Ewers applying lessons learned from Week 1 in a game which Texas enters as a considerable underdog against the Crimson Tide. Alabama and Texas kick at 11 a.m CT/noon ET on FOX as they clash for the first time since the 2009 BCS National Championship Game.

"I thought it was good for him," Sarkisian said of Ewers’ Texas debut. "I don't think anybody wants to throw an interception on their second career pass. It was a good learning lesson for him, too. Sometimes you're in the right to punt, as they say, I hate saying that. That was an opportunity where what we called was not a great call, they covered it, he got flushed, and he tried to force a throw.

"A really good learning moment for him, but I didn't feel for a second where he got flustered or was out of whack by any means. I thought he was very composed. Even the throws that he missed, he almost signaled to me, like, I should have done this or I could have done that, and that part was encouraging."

A former five-star recruit out of Southlake (Texas) Carroll, Ewers was the consensus No. 1 player from the Class of 2021 after reclassifying from 2022 to enroll a year early at Ohio State. He enrolled at Ohio State in August 2021, but entered the transfer portal and landed with the Longhorns following the season. Ewers was once a verbal Texas commit before flipping to the Buckeyes during his recruitment.

19 hours ago, immamac said:

This is what I was pissed off about in off season, but I guess there’s internal team politics that need to be played. 

We obviously needed to keep Card, the quality, experienced backup from transferring, because with our O-Line, we'll probably need him at some point.

V

V

V

i-keed-i-keed.jpg

Scipio Tex aka Paul Wadlington      9/5/2022

Texas-ULM Post Mortem: Offense

The Texas offense only ran 58 plays, but still managed 52 points on the strength of two non-offensive touchdowns, minimal penalties and 6.6 yards per play. Texas left a lot in the tank. Bijan Robinson notched only three touches in the second half, Quinn Ewers ran a stripped down offense after two shaky opening throws and couldn’t connect deep with Xavier Worthy, and most of the starters were phased out in the mid 3rd quarter. Steve Sarkisian pulled Ewers a little early in my view. I’d have preferred Ewers have one more 3rd quarter drive with the starters, particularly after a couple of Sanders throws where he started to show comfort, but Sark saw enough.

Pummeling teams you should pummel is good. However… in my preseason preview, I pointed out that ULM was a really terrible football team. In fact, I wrote:

“Nonetheless, if Texas struggles too much with the Warhawks in their season opener, turn this preview into a fireplace log and take up another hobby.“

and

Breaking down the Warhawks player by player is not a particularly useful exercise. This game will be determined more by Longhorn energy, focus, and effort than anything Louisiana-Monroe does.

I echoed the same sentiments in my weekly preview. A lot of potential for egg on the face with that kind of talk, but I watched their film. It doesn’t take many reels to understand bad athletes plus head coach padding his retirement accounts. I’m still seeing a lot of “Yeah, yeah, but we won big so…IT’S HAPPENING!” Fan is short for fanatic after all. I get it. Telling folks to cool their jets never goes over well. That second point from my preseason preview does have some applicability. Texas did show energy, focus, and effort. That’s a base expectation. That’s doesn’t earn a letter grade or an Attaboy. It’s Pass/Fail. Texas Passed. On to the real season now.

QB

Quinn Ewers had a shaky start, but eventually got it together. On his first throw, he hung up a go route to Worthy that could have been picked by a better single high safety, then threw a nonsense interception on 3rd and 7 into coverage. On that second attempt, which was from empty set, he had a clean pocket and a wide open Jordan Whittington four yards past the sticks, but chose to leave the pocket and halve the field to make something happen. You’ll hear the Longhorn play by play guy say he was flushed. He wasn’t. Bad QB play. What should have been an easy 14 yard gain and a new set of downs became a turnover.

Sark had a nice little chat with Quinn on the sideline and then pulled back the reins on the offense for the next three quarters, which is a correct gauge of where the freshman is right now. A lot of simplistic single reads, check downs and a staple RPO. He overthrew Worthy in the end zone twice and also threw behind Keilan Robinson on a swing pass. When he finally nailed the lead on a little swing pass to Bijan, Robinson did the rest for a 16 yard touchdown. That’s stuff he’ll see in the film room and understand that if he can just distribute cleanly on time, Texas has good enough athletes to make him look good. In the 3rd quarter, Ewers also had a couple of nice connections with Sanders.

The first, a little flip out improv where he felt Sanders trailing him and flipped it to him while pretending to look downfield. The second, a veteran instinctive step up in the pocket to find a streaking Sanders between two defenders (3rd Q, 9:57 mark). Quinn threw that ball effortlessly and the zip on it from a pure arm throw is good stuff. His final stat line of 16 of 24 for 225 yards and two touchdowns with one pick is largely a tribute to YAC (190 of 249 passing yards were gained after the catch) and a couple of Sark set piece gimmes (see Sanders TD throw). Ewers in on a developmental trajectory and Sark will dial up the offense based on what he sees Ewers can handle. The freshman will grow in fits and starts and it won’t be a straight line. Fortunately, Texas has some weapons and a very good play-caller to help him along.

Hudson Card got a lot of action in the second half. He was sacked twice. One of them suggesting that his internal clock is still too often a sundial. Sark adjusted to his QB and the protection he was getting from the #2 OL and Card was successful on a series of sprint and roll outs, completing 4 of 5 short passes.

The QB position is limited right now. But not by physical constraints. It will be fascinating to see various facets of the O open up as Ewers gains confidence, experience, sees the field better and starts tossing it around like the natural thrower he is.

Final

ULM is a bad football team. Have I made that sufficiently clear? The Texas offense will improve as the year goes on and Sark left plenty in the playbook for future opponents. Nothing is static when a team is starting three freshmen at the most developmentally intensive positions in the game. Alabama looms, but it’s a mirage as a measuring stick. How the offense performs and grows against UTSA, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Oklahoma will set the season’s upside.

Film room: Charting every Quinn Ewers throw versus ULM

Joe Cook•   about 5 hours ago

Untitled-design-2022-09-06T152956.870.pn

Quinn Ewers (Tim Warner/Getty Images)

Texas quarterback Quinn Ewers made his first collegiate start on Saturday, playing the entire first half and a good chunk of the third quarter in the Longhorns’ 52-10 win over Louisiana-Monroe.

Ewers fought off a shaky start that included an interception on his second career throw to finish 16-of-24 for 225 yards and two scores.

Aside from two throws that counted as laterals, one to Xavier Worthy and one to Keilan Robinson, here’s every pass from Ewers’ debut.

Throw 1: Incompletion intended for Xavier Worthy

ewers throw 1

With a 7-0 lead, Ewers tries to hit Worthy on a deep ball, but the single-high safety makes a good play. The throw is probably a touch too late but look at Worthy’s route. This is a slot fade that is designed to put the safety in conflict. Credit to the Warhawk defensive back, he makes the play despite the conflict on a throw that was either short or a second too late.

Throw 2: Interception

ewers throw 2

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian understood there would be good and bad with a freshman quarterback, and this is an example of the bad. Ewers sees Worthy get open, but waits to throw until half the field shrinks to a quarter of the field. There are plenty of ULM defenders there by that point, and the Warhawk DB makes a nice play on the ball to turn Texas over.

ULM only got a field goal out of it, and Ewers settled in after this play.

Throw 3: 5-yard pass to Ja’Tavion Sanders

ewers throw 3

Ewers finds Sanders, who finished as the Longhorns’ leading receiver on Saturday, for a fourth-down conversion. Ewers is flushed from the pocket and moves toward open grass to find Sanders running a drag route.

One non-Ewers thing to note: Watch left tackle Kelvin Banks recognize his man is dropping into coverage and pick up the blitzer.

Throw 4: 19-yard touchdown pass to Ja’Tavion Sanders

Analysis on this play from Saturday night.

Throw 5: 5-yard pass to Xavier Worthy

ewers throw 5

As Sam Acho said on the TV call, “that play is basically like a long handoff.”

Ewers hits Worthy, who gains a couple of yards on the swing pass with Tarique Milton and Jordan Whittington blocking for him.

Throw 6: 7-yard pass to Gunnar Helm

ewers throw 6

Ewers sees the running back is covered on the wheel route, which is the first read on this play. He senses pressure and rolls out to find Helm, who is the fourth read on this play.

Throw 7: 43-yard pass to Casey Cain

ewers throw 7

The offensive line indicates this is an RPO. Ewers makes the throw to Cain against a defender in off coverage. Cain makes a move then rumbles down the field for 43 yards.

Throw 8: 8-yard pass to Bijan Robinson

ewers throw 8

Play-action passes in Sarkisian’s offense typically have a deep-to-short progression. Sanders coming in at the tail end of the clip is how to identify that on this play. Ewers looks for Worthy deep, then looks for Sanders, then checks it down to Robinson to pick up yardage on first down.

Throw 9: 19-yard pass to Xavier Worthy

ewers throw 9

A picture-perfect glance RPO. The ULM linebackers and even a safety drop down to play the run. Ewers sees it, pulls the ball, then delivers a pass to Worthy to set up 1st-and-goal.

Throw 10: 1-yard pass to Ja’Tavion Sanders

ewers throw 10

The clip may not show it, but this is something Ewers should have recognized. Sanders sets up off the line of scrimmage, putting five players in the offensive backfield. That’s why the flag was thrown, but considering it was 2nd-and-goal from the 24, ULM declined the penalty and Ewers’ was able to pad his stats with the completion.

Throw 11: Incompletion intended for Xavier Worthy

ewers throw 11

The ULM middle safety bites on a shorter route, leaving Worthy 1-on-1 with a corner with outside leverage. If this throw is a few yards closer to the goal post, it’s probably a touchdown.

Throw 12: 16-yard pass to Bijan Robinson

ewers throw 12

Good sell on the screen for a first down that helps the Longhorns move closer to field goal range.

Throw 13: Incompletion intended for Bijan Robinson

ewers throw 13

Robinson slips on his route, and this play is over before it can even start.

Throw 14: Incompletion intended for Xavier Worthy

ewers throw 14

Another missed connection between Ewers and Worthy, who is the outside receiver on this play. Sanders and the No. 2 receiver run shorter routes, setting up the chance for Worthy to run between the two deep-third defenders. He does, but the two defenders play the look decently well and offer a small window for the completion. Ewers’ throw is somewhat errant and falls incomplete, though again it looks like he made the proper read.

Throw 15: 10-yard pass to Ja’Tavion Sanders

ewers throw 15

Another fourth-down conversion to the tight end. Sanders has plenty of room to operate but catches the ball short of the sticks. He’s able to make a play, get the first, and move the Longhorns into field goal range.

Throw 16: 11-yard pass to Jordan Whittington

ewers throw 15

ULM is defending the end zone and content to allow Texas to move up for a closer field goal. Ewers hits Whittington with an accurate throw past the sticks and near the sidelines.

Throw 17: Incompletion intended for Bijan Robinson

ewers throw 17

This is a throw with a little too much on it that better teams are capable of intercepting. This should have been a pitch-and-catch for a first down.

Throw 18: 4-yard pass to Jordan Whittington

ewers throw 18

RPO bubble screen where Ewers delivers a good ball. Good blocking from Cain to help Whittington reach the line to gain.

Throw 19: 25-yard pass to Ja’Tavion Sanders

ewers 19 throw

One of the few plays that asked Ewers to improvise on Saturday night. He does a good job of drawing in the defender, staying behind the line of scrimmage, then finding Sanders after he missed a chance to block a couple of Warhawk defenders.

Sanders then showcases some of his open field ability.

Throw 20: Incompletion intended for Jordan Whittington

ewers throw 20

Watch Ewers’ feet. He’s ready to throw this pass before Whittington turns for the ball. Even though the window closes, Ewers still tries to make a throw into a tight window his receiver can’t handle.

Throw 21: 16-yard touchdown pass to Bijan Robinson

ewers throw 21

Sometimes it’s as easy as giving No. 5 the ball. Ewers is the beneficiary of the Texas running back’s ability and records his second touchdown pass.

Throw 22: Incompletion intended for Xavier Worthy

ewers 22

Another deep shot for Worthy where the two can’t connect. Ewers has time to make a throw to No. 8, who has an inside release on his defender, but the throw falls incomplete. It looks like interference from the TV angle, but a replay shows Worthy simply fell. Ewers got a bit too excited on this throw, he gets up on his toes and tries to make his arm do all of the work.

Throw 23: 11-yard pass to Jordan Whittington

ewers throw 23

A good throw in between defenders for a first down.

Throw 24: 25-yard pass to Ja’Tavion Sanders

ewers throw 24

The throw of the night from Ewers to Sanders that made the tight end gawk upon seeing a replay. The last throw of Ewers’ night, too, and a good one to end on.

Overall, there was some good and some bad for the redshirt freshman signal-caller. He’ll need to develop a connection with Worthy, but for the most part Ewers made the right reads and good throws in his Texas debut.

• Hook 'Em 2

I never need a full length porno to finish the job... same applies to this Quinn footage.  

The second video (3rd and short to J-Whitt) floored me in person.  You could see him wanting to go to the deep post over the top but seeing him 1) recognize it was covered and 2) with a collapsing pocket, stand tall and throw that dime with touch... man.  That shit doesn't happen by accident... kid seems special.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

FCB:   THE CHARLES WRIGHT STORY

With the possibility of redshirt freshman quarterback Charles Wright seeing the field Saturday against UTSA (if Hudson Card’s high ankle sprain hasn’t recovered enough), I spoke with Wright’s coach at Austin High — Mike Rosenthal — for some insight into Wright’s story.

“He’s probably the most competitive kid I’ve ever coached,” Rosenthal said. “The moment is not going to be too big for him. He loves football and will do everything possible to prepare for Saturday’s game.”

When I asked for examples of Wright’s competitiveness, Rosenthal said, “You name it. We had a coaches-versus-players basketball game every season to see if the old guys could keep up with the young guys, and Charles would take it right at you. He didn’t care if he got fouled hard. We’d play some dodgeball as part of our offseason workouts, and even as a freshman, Charles went toe-to-toe with everyone on the team.

“In the spring, he played lacrosse, and you get to be physical in lacrosse, and he loved that. He’s a really good athlete who wanted to play safety for us, but we wouldn’t let him, because we needed him at quarterback.”

Rosenthal said while some college quarterbacks might come from powerhouse high school programs with strong offensive lines, Wright had to make a lot of plays on his own when the protection broke down.

“I don’t want to say anything bad about our squads, because we achieved at a high level when Charles was at Austin High,” Rosenthal said. “We made the playoffs, but we were a four seed, and Charles had to deliver under pressure, because he got hit a lot. I’ve watched him compete with a viral infection. I’ve watched him keep getting off the deck and competing against (Austin) Westlake and Lake Travis.”

Rosenthal said Wright is a football junkie who loves film study and loves to practice.

“He was always in the coaches’ office (at Austin High), wanting to watch film with us,” Rosenthal said. “And it didn’t matter if it was seven-on-seven in the summer or 100 degrees in mid-September, he was always excited to go to practice.”

Last season, as a true freshman at Texas, Wright was behind walk-on Ben Ballard, who served as the team’s No. 3 quarterback and traveled with the team. Wright didn’t travel last season.

Rosenthal said Wright “needed to learn the college game and needed to learn Steve Sarkisian’s offense. His head was swimming a little bit. But he finally did enough swimming and caught up. The kid will put in work.”

Sarkisian said this week that Wright has grown “leaps and bounds” from last year, and running back Roschon Johnson added:

“If there’s anybody on the team I couldn’t be more proud of, it’s Charles Wright. Coming in as a true freshman — going through his early struggles to where he is now — it’s night and day.

“He did it with hard work. He took the initiative on his own to put in the work he needed to improve.”

Wright, who had offers ranging from Arkansas and N.C. State to UTSA, was a three-star prospect committed to Matt Campbell at Iowa State in the class of 2021 - until Jalen Milroe de-committed from Texas (to go to Alabama).

Then-Texas offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich was a fan of Wright’s and encouraged then-coach Tom Herman to offer Wright, who grew up a huge Longhorn fan.

Texas offered Wright on Aug. 22, 2020, and Wright de-committed from Iowa State and accepted the offer that day.

“If Charles gets the chance to play for the Longhorns this week — or at any point — it’s going to mean more to him because of his lifelong love for the University of Texas,” Rosenthal said. “It might surprise some people, but he’s gonna do well, and he’s gonna play his ass off.”

Is this the write-up for "Walking Tall" only CW carries a Lacrosse Stick ??

buford-pusser-1.jpg