TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

At this point, I'm more bullish on Ewers than I am on Arch. I wonder about Arch's competition in Louisiana and him not going to the Elite 11 camp. He couldn't have a better name from a splash standpoint but somewhere, someday there will be a Manning who winds up overrated, or (gasp!) a bust. Now, that said, the boost Arch's committing to Texas has given is immeasurable. So long as we stay on the present course, Sark will always have a QB.

EDIT: It is shaking out that Arch's supporting cast SHOULD be light-years better than what Ewers will have to work with this year, especially on the OL.

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, C-Man said:

At this point, I'm more bullish on Ewers than I am on Arch. I wonder about Arch's competition in Louisiana and him not going to the Elite 11 camp. He couldn't have a better name from a splash standpoint but somewhere, someday there will be a Manning who winds up overrated, or (gasp!) a bust. Now, that said, the boost Arch's committing to Texas has given is immeasurable. So long as we stay on the present course, Sark will always have a QB.

EDIT: It is shaking out that Arch's supporting cast SHOULD be light-years better than what Ewers will have to work with this year, especially on the OL.

My concern stems for the uncertainty of the new NIL landscape.  I worry Ewers will be too distracted by his fortnite deal, driving around in an Aston Martin, etc to focus on football. 

Arch is already a quasi-celebrity so the fanfare is something he's comfortable downplaying.  

26 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

A Manning a bust huh?

Well, his uncle Eli has douche nozzle covered, so there’s that. 

I think Eli seems like a pretty good dude other than playing for the Giants all those years. Or are people still bitter about his bitching his way out of playing in San Diego at the start of his career?

11 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

My concern stems for the uncertainty of the new NIL landscape.  I worry Ewers will be too distracted by his fortnite deal, driving around in an Aston Martin, etc to focus on football. 

Arch is already a quasi-celebrity so the fanfare is something he's comfortable downplaying.  

Hey, it's all on the table these days. But I think Ewers has his sights set on the NFL and being the possible #1 overall pick. He's got some money now but he's chasing Pat Mahomes money ultimately, I think. That's a pretty good motivator.

On 6/29/2022 at 12:04 PM, Valmy77 said:

So can somebody explain how Ewers is the highest rated QB recruit ever tied only with VY? Granted I only saw little bits and pieces from the Spring game and he seems fine.

But really? A VY level QB? What is the basis for this judgement? Should I be ready to be blown away come September 3rd? And why is there even a serious discussion that Hudson Card might start if Ewers is really that good? Card is no 2002 Chris Sims, he isn't even 1999 Chris Sims. 

The perfect score just means he's the consensus overall #1 recruit across the sites.  VY and Ewers are the only QBs to do that.  I'm not even sure what rating sites were around in 02 for VY though.  Everyone is misconstruing that to mean he's the highest rated player since VY.  That's not necessarily the case.  They only rate players within a class not across years.  Being the consensus #1 only has meaning when the quality of your class is taken into context.  Like the NFL draft.  A #1 overall pick one year may have been a #6 the next year because there were more elite players that year. 

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

RE: competition level, Peyton and Eli both went to Isadore Newman. Seems like it didn’t hurt them.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

The perfect score just means he's the consensus overall #1 recruit across the sites.  VY and Ewers are the only QBs to do that.  I'm not even sure what rating sites were around in 02 for VY though.  Everyone is misconstruing that to mean he's the highest rated player since VY.  That's not necessarily the case.  They only rate players within a class not across years.  Being the consensus #1 only has meaning when the quality of your class is taken into context.  Like the NFL draft.  A #1 overall pick one year may have been a #6 the next year because there were more elite players that year. 

Ah! Ok that is the missing piece I didn't get before. Thanks for explaining that. Obviously I had no idea what the 1.000 actually was measuring.

On 6/30/2022 at 10:41 AM, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

* El Camino

On 6/30/2022 at 2:11 PM, Valmy77 said:

Ah! Ok that is the missing piece I didn't get before. Thanks for explaining that. Obviously I had no idea what the 1.000 actually was measuring.

The other thing to keep in mind is comparing QBs year for year. Nobody is going to beat the 2005 version of VY, but lots can be as good as the 2003 version of VY.   When VY was at the same stage as Quinn Ewers right now, he was unable to beat out Chance Mock on the depth chart.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

The other thing to keep in mind is comparing QBs year for year. Nobody is going to beat the 2005 version of VY, but lots can be as good as the 2003 version of VY.   When VY was at the same stage as Quinn Ewers right now, he was unable to beat out Chance Mock on the depth chart.  

People forget how much development Young required.  

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

Chance Mock was a great QB though. I am well aware that Vince wasn't as great in 2003 as he was in 2005. He did eventually start for Chance Mock in 2003 which is amazing when you consider that Mock was a five star QB himself with two more years of experience. Raw VY was just that good.

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

People forget how much development Young required.  

I was there. I haven't forgotten.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 5

I was suspended on Hornfans for suggesting Mock should fake an injury (a la Al Czervik) before the OU game to let VY start. Mock proceeded to throw a pick on the very 1st series.

Can we re-write history to change the outcome for the rest of the game?

I’m thinking there was ref bullshittery on the play prior that impacted the pick. Maybe a completion to BJ Johnson that was ruled incomplete.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Chance Mock was a great QB though. I am well aware that Vince wasn't as great in 2003 as he was in 2005. He did eventually start for Chance Mock in 2003 which is amazing when you consider that Mock was a five star QB himself with two more years of experience. Raw VY was just that good.

I was there. I haven't forgotten.

damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

• Like 1

Ewers has natural arm talent that jumps off the screen. I think mahomes arm talent is a real comparison. He dominates without being a scrambler which means he’s learned to dominate from the pocket and has the natural instincts that follow from there, which will pay off more and more as he moves up in football.

38 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Ewers has natural arm talent that jumps off the screen. I think mahomes arm talent is a real comparison. He dominates without being a scrambler which means he’s learned to dominate from the pocket and has the natural instincts that follow from there, which will pay off more and more as he moves up in football.

Here they are along with Sam at a QB camp working out and taking reps together. 

E6YXwQVWUAUhL6m.jpg