TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

Some interesting quotes imo

Steve Sarkisian opens up on the Texas quarterback competition

Justin Wells•about 3 hours

Charles Wright, Hudson Card, and Quinn Ewers (Will Gallagher/Inside Texas)

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian knows he has a big decision at quarterback for 2022. His two options; the returner in Hudson Card and the newcomer in Quinn Ewers. 

“Clearly, they are at different phases of their development,” said Sarkisian. “Hudson Card needed to develop his comfort level in their system in year two. For Quinn Ewers, it was simply learning the system.” 

[Get a FREE 7-day trial of Inside Texas Plus!]

It’s been a battle since spring ball began. Sarkisian sees the upside in both signal-callers, and believes the competition will only make them stronger. 

“Quinn and Hudson are in a great battle right now,” said Sarkisian. “Hudson has got a little bit more experience and has been in the system for a year. His confidence level is really high, and I’m excited for him. Quinn is a very talented young man. Extremely coachable, great teammate. So, I love where we’re at. I think inevitably at some point in the season, we’re going to need both those guys to help us win a championship. But we’ll find out who it’s going to be in Week 1, and we’ll go from there.”

It’s a good problem to have when you’ve got two highly-rated and talented quarterbacks to choose from in the QB room. 

“I think two things that have stood out to me, in both scrimmages that we’ve had thus far, both guys have played really well,” said Sarkisian. “I’ve been very impressed with their playmaking ability, their ability to take their shots. Not that every throw is perfect, but they’ve been really effective on third down. Both guys have used their legs well.”

Card has the extra year of experience in the system to benefit him, while Ewers is becoming a fast learner.

“I think Hudson, naturally some of the game management things come really natural to him just having been doing it with us,” Sarkisian said at the 2022 Big 12 Media Days last month. “I think Quinn is a very quick study. There’s things that come to him that are new or a situational thing that comes to him that is new. But he really takes the coaching and tries to apply it the next time out. And I think both guys have really earned a lot of respect of their teammates in their approach to their preparation and then ultimately their ability to execute.”

“In the end, from where that position is today from where we were a year ago, I’m really pleased,” said Sarkisian. “I just think we’re at a place right now where we’re playing very good football at that position.”

Does Sarkisian have an idea of when he’d like to name a starting signal-caller for 2022? 

“I have an idea in my mind, but I’m not going to tell you guys.”

39 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Some interesting quotes imo

Steve Sarkisian opens up on the Texas quarterback competition

Justin Wells•about 3 hours

Charles Wright, Hudson Card, and Quinn Ewers (Will Gallagher/Inside Texas)

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian knows he has a big decision at quarterback for 2022. His two options; the returner in Hudson Card and the newcomer in Quinn Ewers. 

“Clearly, they are at different phases of their development,” said Sarkisian. “Hudson Card needed to develop his comfort level in their system in year two. For Quinn Ewers, it was simply learning the system.” 

[Get a FREE 7-day trial of Inside Texas Plus!]

It’s been a battle since spring ball began. Sarkisian sees the upside in both signal-callers, and believes the competition will only make them stronger. 

“Quinn and Hudson are in a great battle right now,” said Sarkisian. “Hudson has got a little bit more experience and has been in the system for a year. His confidence level is really high, and I’m excited for him. Quinn is a very talented young man. Extremely coachable, great teammate. So, I love where we’re at. I think inevitably at some point in the season, we’re going to need both those guys to help us win a championship. But we’ll find out who it’s going to be in Week 1, and we’ll go from there.”

It’s a good problem to have when you’ve got two highly-rated and talented quarterbacks to choose from in the QB room. 

“I think two things that have stood out to me, in both scrimmages that we’ve had thus far, both guys have played really well,” said Sarkisian. “I’ve been very impressed with their playmaking ability, their ability to take their shots. Not that every throw is perfect, but they’ve been really effective on third down. Both guys have used their legs well.”

Card has the extra year of experience in the system to benefit him, while Ewers is becoming a fast learner.

“I think Hudson, naturally some of the game management things come really natural to him just having been doing it with us,” Sarkisian said at the 2022 Big 12 Media Days last month. “I think Quinn is a very quick study. There’s things that come to him that are new or a situational thing that comes to him that is new. But he really takes the coaching and tries to apply it the next time out. And I think both guys have really earned a lot of respect of their teammates in their approach to their preparation and then ultimately their ability to execute.”

“In the end, from where that position is today from where we were a year ago, I’m really pleased,” said Sarkisian. “I just think we’re at a place right now where we’re playing very good football at that position.”

Does Sarkisian have an idea of when he’d like to name a starting signal-caller for 2022? 

“I have an idea in my mind, but I’m not going to tell you guys.”

@closetojumping pay me.  @CloseToDumping Pay me too.  Unoriginal hack.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Food for thought-  biggest year over year improvement in QBR (per ESPN)

image.thumb.png.15d7292c96c4a6f1e3aa8a509c172db4.png

Notes:

• Per ESPN, Adjusted Total Quarterback Rating (QBR)values the quarterback on all play types on a 0-100 scale adjusted for the strength of opposing defenses faced.
  • Data covers 2005-2021 seasons
  • Sample is limited to P5 (+ Notre Dame & BYU) QB's
  • Sample only includes QB's who qualify in each season (20 snaps per team game)
  • 512 QB sample

2021 Texas QB's:

Casey Thompson - 62.6 QBR (62nd in country, 7th of 9 qualifying B12 QB's)

Hudson Card - 59.5 QBR (did not quality, but would have ranked 69th in country, 9th of 10 B12 QB's)

Edited by 40acredropout

We really need a QB to step up...

Thanks for finding this article @RaysBoomBoomRoom

Steve Sarkisian says Texas Longhorns better positioned to compete after weeding out 'some of the warts' from last year

8:19 PM CT   Chris Low   ESPN Senior Writer

AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas coach Steve Sarkisian said Wednesday he's closing in on naming a starting quarterback and feels like the Longhorns are better equipped as a team than they were a year ago to face whatever trials come their way in 2022.

Texas, in Sarkisian's first season as coach, finished 5-7 and lost six straight games, marking the Longhorns' longest losing streak since 1956.

"The kids knew not everybody in that locker room was all-in last year," Sarkisian told ESPN. "I think they could feel it, and they wanted to weed out some of the warts, some of the bad apples. I think they got a sense of reality about some of the things we were talking about and trying to instill last offseason. I don't know how much they gave credence to it, and then those same things reared their ugly head in-season.

"They came back in January with this mindset of, "We've got to take these things to heart because they will show up again.' They've made that investment and bought into every aspect of it, and you can feel it amongst our team."

Similar to a year ago, the Longhorns again have a quarterback battle this preseason. Redshirt sophomore Hudson Card and redshirt freshman Quinn Ewers, a former five-star prospect who spent the 2021 season at Ohio State, are vying for the starting job. A year ago, it was Casey Thompson and Card battling for the job. Card earned the start in the first two games, but Thompson replaced him late in the 40-21 loss to Arkansas in Week 2 and remained the starter the rest of the way. Thompson has since transferred to Nebraska.

"Last year was difficult in having two players that were new to the (offensive) system, and that's always hard, especially when one of them isn't a returning starter who had really been in the fire," Sarkisian said. "This year, even though they're new, Hudson's got a little experience, and Quinn is coming in from another program. The reality is Quinn should really be a freshman in college. He re-classified after preseason camp had started. It was kind of a wash of a season for him."

Sarkisian is heartened by the relationship between his two quarterbacks despite the intense competition and the fact that they "aren't consumed with what the other guy is doing."

Sarkisian said both players have made some plays this preseason, while "both of them have growing pains, but that's camp."

He added that he thinks he "has an idea" who's going to be the starter and doesn't want to wait too much longer before telling the team. Texas opens its season on Sept. 3 at home against Louisiana-Monroe and then faces No. 1 Alabama the following week at home.

One thing Sarkisian doesn't want to do is get into a situation this season where he's rotating quarterbacks.

"I think it's hard for a quarterback to get into rhythm that way, and I think you play differently knowing, 'Hey, I don't know how many throws I'm going to get,' and you take too many chances," Sarkisian said. "I just don't think the decision-making is very good."

A year ago, Sarkisian said Card unfairly bore the brunt of the Arkansas loss when the Hogs jumped out to a 16-0 halftime lead and led 33-7 late in the third quarter when Thompson entered the game.

"The reality is that we didn't play very well as a team, and I'm not sure we ever recovered from that loss," said Sarkisian, who stuck with Thompson as the starter because the Longhorns had more success finishing drives those first three games when he was on the field.

"But it never got comfortable. It was back and forth throughout the year, and we never found our rhythm. I'm a big believer that position is the most important position in sports for a reason, because that person instills belief in everybody else in the organization, the offense, the defense, the coaching staff, the fans, everybody. ... And we never got that last year. We just never got that mojo the right way."

During the Longhorns' six-game losing streak, they lost three of those games by eight or fewer points to nationally ranked teams. There was also a fourth loss in overtime to Kansas, with the Jayhawks winning in Austin for the first time ever.

"The (quarterback situation) is a much bigger deal to people outside the program," said Texas junior running back Bijan Robinson, who rushed for 1,127 yards and 11 touchdowns last season and also caught four touchdown passes. "It's on us around the quarterback to make him comfortable, make plays for him and be there for him the whole season and not just parts of the season. The thing we've got to do this season is finish games, and that's not just on the quarterback."

As the losses mounted a year ago, Sarkisian was careful to remind himself how important it was for him "in the midst of a lot of storms going on" to maintain a level of consistency with the team, media, donors and fans.

"We were going to stay the course with what we believe in and how we're going to do it over time, not panic, and we were going to pop out on the other side where there's that ray of sunshine," Sarkisian said.

A big part of that sunshine can be found in a 2023 recruiting class ranked No. 3 nationally by ESPN, one that includes the country's top quarterback prospect in Arch Manning. It's the kind of recruiting momentum that hasn't been lost on Texas' current players.

"You see the players jumping onboard, and it's important for us this year to keep that momentum going on the field and put this program back where it's supposed to be," Robinson said. "You can see it, and you can feel it."

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Quinn, I love you, but lose the beard. Also, I'm wondering if this is a reveal of his NIL deal or if Sark is finally revealing that Quinn is starting. 

Because most coaches let their players release 15 second hype videos in a bull riding vest to let the fans know he is about to be named the starter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cross-posting Ian Boyd QB Open Practice breakdown...

Warning... it's Ian Boyd

Spoiler

The quarterback battle

They ran both 7on7 style drills and 11on11 drills in this scrimmage. The 7on7 drills were actually generally 3on2, 4on3, etc. They’d only run them to half the field, giving the quarterbacks reps in reading a single side passing concept and throwing against coverage. At times they’d line up with a running back and a receiver, or two receivers, a tight end and a receiver, etc. It gave them a chance to make progressions on a variety of concepts against a variety of coverages.

The results here were really quite one-sided. After an early pick to a robbing safety, Hudson Card showed a decisive trigger and he clearly knew what he was looking at. Quinn Ewers really struggled to get a clear read and rarely got his throws out with the right timing. He was picked a few times and had few completions.

The 11on11 drills told a similar story but were better for Ewers than the pure passing drills. Just in terms of executing a dropback passing game with a three-step drop and progression, this battle really isn’t close. Hudson Card has the far greater familiarity with these concepts and consequently has better timing and accuracy, provided the pocket isn’t completely demolished.

On the play-action as well, the common narratives of Ewers as a decisive and aggressive passer relative to gun-shy Card don’t really hold up. Ewers has some unreal ability throwing the ball but he’s not consistently on time yet with his reads. Good match quarters with safeties sitting on the hash marks is pretty unforgiving if you’re not throwing the ball on time. Ewers did show the expected knack for executing long throws off single reads and he also seems comfortable with different crossing patterns.

The danger comes when he locks into a read and it isn’t there. Plan B often devolves into a sack or an interception.

In both the 7on7 portion and later in the 11on11 portion, Card hit touchdown passes on post routes off flood concepts.

Inside-Texas-diagrams-4.jpg

It’s an awful lot like “spear” but instead of having a deep crosser from across the field, the slot runs a corner route. The quarterback reads the the free safety. If he hangs back on the post route then the corner route is generally there whether the nickel tries to carry it or not. If the safety takes the corner route, or just stays flat-footed long enough, then the post will get behind him if the quarterback throws it well. It’s a great concept for attacking quarters coverage and Card nailed the timing by reading the safety on both scoring strikes.

Card generally knew where to go with the ball even if a read was cloudy, or he could make something happen with the scramble, but his ball security was alarming at times.

Presumably Ewers would be most comfortable if allowed to regularly work off play-action and get a lot of his throws in with concepts drawn up for him and carefully practiced throughout a week. If protected well enough with the gameplan and a running game, you could see his arm doing a lot of damage. However, Card would also be effective within such a friendly context and would allow for a much fuller approach due to his greater comfort within the system.

The battle still comes down to whether or not Sark feels Ewers can be hurried along in the missing pieces of development to be a consistent starter or if he’ll need to start building the gameplans around a more developed player in Card. Overall this practice made clear Texas has certainly added some talent to the roster, but being in year two in the system may prove to be the biggest boost for the coming season.

Thanks for this @TheMailBox357

Steve Sarkisian going with his hand-picked, pro-style quarterback - Quinn Ewers - to start the season

By  FUCK CHIP BROWN         12 minutes ago

Steve Sarkisian always talks about players knowing their “why” and why everything in his program is done the way it’s done.

So once the sudden, awkwardness wore off after Quinn Ewers was announced as the Longhorns’ starting quarterback Friday by Texas sports information director John Bianco (on behalf of Sarkisian) as reporters were leaving a player press conference, it was time to get down to the why. 

If the separation between Ewers, a redshirt freshman transfer from Ohio State (who had committed to Texas initially out of Southlake Carroll), and redshirt sophomore Hudson Card was as close as Sarkisian said it was last week, it’s probably not that big of a surprise Sarkisian is going with Ewers. (I'm told Sarkisian notified both quarterbacks of his decision after Friday's practice.)

Ewers, after all, is Sarkisian’s hand-picked, pro-style quarterback with enough arm talent to be ranked the top overall prospect nationally in the 2021 recruiting cycle.

In this new age of NIL and “free agency” thanks to the transfer portal, Ewers is the young, hot, rookie free-agent quarterback who electrified the Texas fan base with his decision to leave Ohio State for Austin.

Oh, and there’s Ewers’ arm talent.

“Quinn Ewers has an incredible ability to put the nose of the football in tight windows from different arm angles without having to set his feet,” said former Dallas Cowboys offensive assistant Glenn Smith, who is now an assistant coach with the USFL’s Philadelphia Stars.

Smith was with the Cowboys with Troy Aikman and has coached quarterbacks in the Dallas area for years and watched Ewers at Southlake Carroll and during training sessions at APEC in Fort Worth, where Patrick Mahomes trains in the off-season.

“I can’t speak about his (Ewers’) football IQ or his ability to process information in Steve Sarkisian’s offense or how he relates to his teammates and all of that,” Smith said. “But from a pure arm talent and ability to deliver the football standpoint, Ewers is special and can do a lot of the things that Mahomes does in terms of getting the nose of that football into tight windows from different arm slots without having to set his feet.”

On Thursday - Sarkisian was asked if he had a starting quarterback, and he said, “I have a pretty good idea, but I want to give these guys an opportunity to compete, so that’s what we’ll do.”

With the typically-two-deep-defining second scrimmage of fall camp happening on Saturday, what happened to cause Sarkisian to tell Bianco to make the announcement Friday?

We don’t know, because Sarkisian won’t be available to the media again until Monday.

But if Sarkisian’s gut feeling was telling him Ewers should be the starter, it wouldn’t shock me if Sarkisian wanted to put that weight and responsibility on Ewers’ shoulders as soon as possible - starting with Saturday’s scrimmage.

See how Ewers carries himself as the starter; see how he handles scrimmage/game preparation; see how he handles adversity; see how he interacts with teammates when things don’t go well - so Sarkisian can coach him up, if needed, over the next two weeks.

Card, who is in his second year in Sarkisian’s offense, is no slouch, having been ranked the No. 4 overall quarterback in 2020 behind Alabama’s Bryce Young, Clemson’s D.J. Uiagalelei and Ohio State’s C.J. Stroud.

By most accounts, Card had protected the ball better than Ewers in the spring. And by some accounts, Card has a better overall handle of the offense nearly three weeks into fall camp.

And even though Ewers has thrown his share of interceptions in camp, Card threw a pick-six in last Saturday’s scrimmage (D’Shawn Jamison) and threw another interception that would’ve gone for a pick-six by Ryan Watts in Tuesday’s open practice.

It’s been an interesting quarterback competition with Sarkisian saying he’s been placing a big emphasis on “body language” because neither Card nor Ewers is naturally vocal.

When we last saw Ewers in action, his junior year at Southlake Carroll in 2020, he had come off missing eight games due to double hernia surgery and helped lead the Dragons to a surprise appearance in the 6A Division I state title game against Austin Westlake.

Southlake Carroll coach Riley Dodge told Horns247's Flagship Podcast a player of Ewers’ recruiting stature could’ve shut down his season in 2020 after the double hernia surgery.

“But he came back for his team and showed just how tough he is,” Dodge said.

Ewers helped lead Carroll to playoff victories against Arlington Martin, Trinity and an upset of Duncanville before falling 52-34 to favored Westlake in that 6A Division I state title game. During that four-game playoff run, Ewers was 91 of 140 passing (65 percent) with 13 touchdowns and three interceptions.

Dodge said Ewers is so cool under fire that there were times during Ewers’ junior season, when Dodge wanted more emotion out of his quarterback.

“But that’s not who he is,” Dodge said. “The kid doesn’t get flustered - good or bad.”

With Friday’s announcement, it’s important for Sarkisian to keep Card engaged and ready in case he’s needed.

Card was the young gun starter last year who was benched three games into the season for four-year veteran Casey Thompson. This year, Card is the three-year veteran in the Texas program with a solid understanding of Sarkisian’s offense.

Texas is Card’s “dream school.” And those close to Card say he wants to get his degree from Texas, which will happen after this football season.

Give Card credit for going all in on trying to reclaim the starting job at his dream school. Card didn’t think once about the transfer portal when Ewers committed to Texas. Card believed he outplayed Ewers in the spring and entered fall camp full of confidence.

Sarkisian has to keep developing Card and that confidence in case he’s needed. If Card had shown a better handle of the offense up to this point in camp, then Sarkisian is betting on himself to get Ewers where he needs to be to help lead this year's team.

When Arch Manning committed to Texas this summer, the underlying thought behind the scenes was for Ewers to start for two seasons, become draft eligible and leave after the 2023 season with Manning taking over in 2024 after redshirting.

As one source close to the situation said, “Sarkisian didn’t bring Ewers here to sit the bench.”

We’ll see if that plan plays out in such a way that Texas can improve on a disastrous 5-7 season in 2021 in Sarkisian's first year as coach. Ewers' decision to come to Texas was a big headline in what seemed to be a neverending whirlwind of recruiting momentum this off-season.

I've said a successful 2022 for Texas and Sarkisian would be eight wins and 2023 five-star quarterback Arch Manning. They've already got the commitment from Manning. Now, it's time to see if Sarkisian, Ewers and the rest of the Longhorns can go show notable improvement from a year ago - with a showdown at home against No. 1 Alabama looming in Week 2.

Away we go.

Decent point:  "You gotta win the locker room...  they gonna follow you.  They won't let a guy sack you, leave you on the ground and walk away from you...   You Have To Win the Locker Room !!! "

Ball Don't Lie Reacts to Longhorns Naming Quinn Ewers as Starting Quarterback

• Hook 'Em 1

Quinn has been named the starter, now what about the back up? Could Maalik Murphy truly give Hudson Card a run for his money and beat him out as the back up to Quinn?

https://hookemheadlines.com/2022/04/14/can-texas-qb-maalik-murphy-push-hudson-card-for-the-backup-job/

Old article from the spring, but worth the read. 

Quinn has been named the starter, now what about the back up? Could Maalik Murphy truly give Hudson Card a run for his money and beat him out as the back up to Quinn?
https://hookemheadlines.com/2022/04/14/can-texas-qb-maalik-murphy-push-hudson-card-for-the-backup-job/
Old article from the spring, but worth the read. 

He shouldn’t, Maalik needs time to grow with the lack of games over the past two seasons and we don’t need Card to transfer either.

Murphy did not play in the spring game, reportedly did not play in the first scrimmage and reportedly barely played yesterday. This is in addition to trying to shorten his throwing motion.

If he takes a meaningful snap this year we are in big trouble.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Murphy did not play in the spring game, reportedly did not play in the first scrimmage and reportedly barely played yesterday. This is in addition to trying to shorten his throwing motion.

If he takes a meaningful snap this year we are in big trouble.

Was not aware of the current situation. Thanks for the heads up. Then who would be the 3rd string this year? Ben Ballard? Charles Wright?

3 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Was not aware of the current situation. Thanks for the heads up. Then who would be the 3rd string this year? Ben Ballard? Charles Wright?

Murphy might be 3rd string ahead of those two, especially considering Wright could not beat out Ballard last year. But I would still hope we don’t see our 3rd string QB in any meaningful situation this year.

45 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Murphy might be 3rd string ahead of those two, especially considering Wright could not beat out Ballard last year. But I would still hope we don’t see our 3rd string QB in any meaningful situation this year.

Agreed. We should only see Wright or Ballard for mop up duty. Might see them the first game.