TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

4 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I always loved how GDGD would insert Chiles into the game, and the play was by god going to him. The defense could literally abandon everyone else, because dear Greg couldn’t think deep enough to consider the possibility of a decoy being used. 

Simpler times. The John Chiles run up the middle for 1 yard

5 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I always loved how GDGD would insert Chiles into the game, and the play was by god going to him. The defense could literally abandon everyone else, because dear Greg couldn’t think deep enough to consider the possibility of a decoy being used. 

Why did you have to bring up Greg Davis?   The only person other than MENSA who might tick us off the most is Davis.

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Call it "Burnt Orange Kool-Aid" -- I believe our 2021 passing offense will be significantly better with either Casey or Hudson at QB

My issues is going to be that just because of scheme I expect the QB play and completion % will be drastically improved regardless. So the real question is how much better would have Sam looked in this O vs this group that will be starting instead?

• Like 1

I doubt that was Davis, and more Mack.

39 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I doubt that was Davis, and more Mack.

I would believe that if I hadn’t seen things like the Tony Jeffery reverse, the Brett Robin screen or watch us only motion a WR to run the same sprint right, rub route on critical conversion situations.  

Dear Greg called plays in a vacuum. Mack may have dictated that Chile’s get some playing time, but Gregory did what he did. That being rarely factoring in the human animal into his x and o inanity. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Start Casey. He needs to be the QB to beat OU. Since he's from Oklahoma, we can give the gooners a taste of their own medicine.  

I’m down. It’s pretty rare for us to poach their state for a QB, so now is our chance for a reverse beatdown using talent from their state 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

Not quite. GDGD did what he was told to do. Mack was always in charge, and neither of them paid the slightest attention to what personnel were actually on the field.

I’m sure MB occasionally called for exact plays, but more often than not asked for things like “ give me something safe that could break...” and left the rest up to GD. I don’t remotely believe Mack was in depth in the play calling. 

1 minute ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I’m sure MB occasionally called for exact plays, but more often than not asked for things like “ give me something safe that could break...” and left the rest up to GD. I don’t remotely believe Mack was in depth in the play calling. 

I think Mack basically told GDGD which plays from the Big Binder to work on leading up to the game. GDGD called plays using a 5 lb. can of Animal Crackers and a stack of Bingo cards, although Mack would occasionally (usually no more than eight or ten plays a quarter) ask for a specific play - which at least half the time was "that wide receiver screen thing, to the field side this time".

4 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Not quite. GDGD did what he was told to do. Mack was always in charge, and neither of them paid the slightest attention to what personnel were actually on the field.

Did you watch the Iowa games when GDGD was there? Yeah…..

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, BB65 said:

I thought I clicked the QB thread not the GDGD thread

You did. GDGD was the QB as well as the QB coach. He was able to inhabit the minds of the young men taking snaps on the field. It may have been through the animal crackers, no one really knows.

3 hours ago, Fletch said:

Did you watch the Iowa games when GDGD was there? Yeah…..

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

Greg Davis is the winningest Texas OC of the modern football era.

Greg was incredibly close to 50-50 as an OC without Mack pulling his strings, the very definition of meaty ochre. He was a complete disaster as HC - I think is one and only shot was at Tulane, which Mack had resurrected and which GDGD re-entombed in just a short span, before going back to .500 at Arky and Georgia before slinking off to NC to rejoin Mack.

5 hours ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

There’s somebody named King Cazalra?

It's King-Cazaira.  LIke Ann-Margaret

38 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

The bot must be re-charging. 

Sark must have been stoked when Carson Palmer left, because he's the dumbest motherfucker to ever play the position.  Carson Palmer is too fucking stupid to post on texags. 

• Haha 1

I trust Sark to make the right call at QB. He turned a heaping pile of shit Jake Locker into a first rounder and took a 3star QB and turned him into a Heisman finalist his first and only season starting. Casey should have the upper hand with his experience and showing in the Alamo Bowl, but anything can happen. With a new coaching staff most players tend to get a fair shake and there are no favorites, if Card wins out he deserved it.

Edited by Chad

27 minutes ago, Chad said:

I trust Sark to make the right call at QB. He turned a heaping pile of shit Jake Locker into a first rounder and took a 3star QB and turned him into a Heisman finalist his first and only season starting. Casey should have the upper hand with his experience and showing in the Alamo Bowl, but anything can happen. With a new coaching staff most players tend to get a fair shake and there are no favorites, if Card wins out he deserved it.

No doubt it will be a difficult decision.  Execution and moving the chains will be paramount.  Also handling adversity, and delivering passes that are easier to catch and allow receivers to gain more yards after catch will be important too.

Curious which QB processes faster/better -- definitely a strength of Mac Jones at Bama...

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

No doubt it will be a difficult decision.  Execution and moving the chains will be paramount.  Also handling adversity, and delivering passes that are easier to catch and allow receivers to gain more yards after catch will be important too.

Curious which QB processes faster/better -- definitely a strength of Mac Jones at Bama...

I think accuracy will be the biggest factor, even more so than scramble ability. Similar to last year, we don't have a tall and reliable receiver like that can adjust enough to make a play on a poorly thrown ball. Josh Moore is probably our most reliable receiver, but he's nearly a half foot shorter than Colin Johnson, so there's only so much he can make up. Some of Sam's accuracy issues were exposed last season more because he didn't have a Colin Johnson or LJH to throw too. We need a dart thrower at QB, even if they're prone to take some more sacks than a scrambler would. Just my take

5 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

It's King-Cazaira.  LIke Ann-Margaret

Sark must have been stoked when Carson Palmer left, because he's the dumbest motherfucker to ever play the position.  Carson Palmer is too fucking stupid to post on texags. 

Did he fuck your mom??