TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

On 8/9/2021 at 7:09 PM, Tex Long said:

Greg was incredibly close to 50-50 as an OC without Mack pulling his strings, the very definition of meaty ochre. He was a complete disaster as HC - I think is one and only shot was at Tulane, which Mack had resurrected and which GDGD re-entombed in just a short span, before going back to .500 at Arky and Georgia before slinking off to NC to rejoin Mack.

He was head coach at those other schools because they suck.  he was offensive coordinator here, and the best ever.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Ok bitches. Stake your claim. Team Casey or Team Hudson. 

I’m team QB1 and QB2, and if Maryland rolls into town then I may be team QB3

I reserve the right to call everyone a dumbass depending on how their favorite QB performs on any given day, regardless of what my initial opinion may have been.
  • Fuck You 1

On 8/9/2021 at 8:45 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

I think accuracy will be the biggest factor, even more so than scramble ability. Similar to last year, we don't have a tall and reliable receiver like that can adjust enough to make a play on a poorly thrown ball. Josh Moore is probably our most reliable receiver, but he's nearly a half foot shorter than Colin Johnson, so there's only so much he can make up. Some of Sam's accuracy issues were exposed last season more because he didn't have a Colin Johnson or LJH to throw too. We need a dart thrower at QB, even if they're prone to take some more sacks than a scrambler would. Just my take

Devin Duvernay has entered the chat.

What will matter is knowing where the open receiver is going to be and throwing the ball to him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, elguapo said:

IMO the highest ceiling for the offense is with Card at QB due to arm talent and anticipation, so I want him starting and gaining experience now.

Man, shit... you're jinxing him.  That's the same shit people said about Chance Mock.

Arm talent and anticipation are great and all.  I want the dude who moves the team, scores, and doesn't turn the ball over.  Those are the metrics.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

I'm on team I have no fuckin idea because we haven't seen either one play more than a half of football

True but we've seen one of them throw for less than 4 touchdowns in a half of football and one of them we haven't.

• Hook 'Em 1

Joshua Moore's comment that "somebody will always be open, no matter what" is how Sark's offense works. It's dangerous by design. Without ever really considering athletic abilities, if the receivers see what they're supposed to see, understand what that means, and run where they're supposed to run, then the defense will always be wrong in at least one place. It may take a second, such as a Safety deciding to attack Bijan Robinson's wheel route rather than bracketing Moore, thus leaving Joshua to roll his route inside with no help. Perhaps extra defensive help is rolled to that side, but pre-snap motion shows that Worthy is now being covered by a LB.

It's the QB's job to see that, know why it happened, know what it means, and have the ball there on time and in the right spot. If the offense is run correctly, QB1 arrives at the post-game conference in a squeaky clean uniform, sipping water, and answering questions about if getting lifted in the 3rd quarter is affecting his Heisman chances.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

He was head coach at those other schools because they suck.  he was offensive coordinator here, and the best ever.

Pretty sure his only HC was Tulane, after Mack left and went to NC. Arky and Georgia, he was underperforming OC. Iowa ditto. I think the HCs at those schools probably had no real idea what they wanted the O to do, so they tended to leave it up to GDGD, who apparently also had no idea. Mack knew what he wanted, and Greg could implement Mack's ideas, mostly.

1 hour ago, Octavian said:

Hudson has always been the quieter kid so I’m not surprised people are interpreting that as lacking confidence. The problem is that quiet confidence doesn’t show up in interviews like this.

Freshmen are supposed to be quieter. He can’t come in rocking boats just yet. 

Steve Sarkisian facing most difficult QB decision of head coaching career

Casey Thompson or Hudson Card? If Sark’s decision this year is anything like Matt Leinart versus Matt Cassel, he might not be able to get it wrong.

By Wescott Eberts@SBN_Wescott  Aug 11, 2021

In 2003, new Texas Longhorns head coach Steve Sarkisian was entering his third year as the quarterbacks coach for the USC Trojans when he was involved in the most difficult quarterback decision of his career — deciding between sophomore Matt Leinart and junior Matt Cassel as the replacement for Carson Palmer.

The Heisman Trophy winner as the Trojans finished fourth in the AP Poll after thrashing Iowa in the Orange Bowl, Palmer had been sensational in 2002, totaling nearly 4,000 passing yards, throwing 33 touchdowns to only 10 interceptions, and doing it all with efficiency, completing 63.2 percent of his passes.

Fortunately, Sarkisian’s critical 2003 decision was so difficult because both talented quarterbacks made it difficult.

Leinart narrowly won the job and never relinquished it, going 37-2 as a starter and helping the Trojans to a split national championship in 2003, and outright national championship in 2004, with Vince Young’s heroics denying USC the following year.

Sarkisian only coached Leinart in 2003 before departing for the Oakland Raiders in 2004 and then returning to Los Angeles in 2005 to serve in his previous role. But at no point did it ever appear that Sarkisian made the wrong decision — although given Cassel’s 14-year career that included a Pro Bowl appearance, a bad decision might not have been possible.

As Texas practiced for the fifth time in preseason camp on Wednesday, Sarkisian is in the midst of overseeing a more difficult quarterback decision than faced in his previous seven seasons as a head coach. In a matter of days, as preseason camp wraps up, he’ll make the choice between junior Casey Thompson, the unexpected Alamo Bowl star, and redshirt freshman Hudson Card, who “came out of the womb spinning the football,” according to former standout Sam Ehlinger.

“Like I said, I had a feeling this would happen — both Casey and Hudson, neither of them are making it easy,” Sarkisian said on Sunday. “They’re both playing well, they’re both improving, they’re both trying to do the things we’re asking them to do, and that’s what I hoped for. I wanted them to make it hard on us and they’re doing just that.”

Through the start of preseason, the game has started to slow down for both quarterbacks, Sarkisian said. Not that they were frequently rushed back in March and April, but there’s clearly a higher comfort level from both, as expected with the time they’ve had to learn the offense.

“I think they’re seeing the value in getting completions and then taking their shots when they present themselves and not trying to figure it out in the middle of the play — they’re trusting their preparation to anticipate those shot plays when they’re there,” Sarkisian said.

Those shot plays are integral to any offense. In Sarkisian’s offense, which creates wide receivers open on every play, in the estimation of junior wide receiver Joshua Moore, the quarterback’s ability to take advantage of those opportunities could mean the difference between a successful season and a disappointing season.

But the shot plays are only part of the picture. Sarkisian sees defenses as less like a book than something more flowing and ever changing, dictating which throws are available.

“We don’t just force the issue — we really tried to read coverages, read defenses, and get our indicators and things like that,” Sarkisian said.

If that means taking a check down because the wide receivers somehow didn’t create separation, a frequent problem for Texas in recent years, taking the check down isn’t just the smart play for the quarterback, those passes have the opportunity to get dangerous playmakers like Bijan Robinson and Keilan Robinson the ball in space.

So far, so good there, too.

“The game has slowed down and they’re letting the easy things be easy and that’s that’s one of the key components in the system,” Sarkisian said.

If the winner of the quarterback battle can translate their practice success to games this fall, they won’t have to play as well as Leinart for Sarkisian’s second-hardest quarterback decision to end up as the right one, once again.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think Sark has to give himself an out. There’s no going back if he names Card the starter. 

I get what your saying, but picking the starter based on which one he thinks gives “himself an out” is not what I want my HC doing.

25 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I get what your saying, but picking the starter based on which one he thinks gives “himself an out” is not what I want my HC doing.

Yep that’s the other side of the coin. Going with Card could indicate Sark is more about winning than playing it safe. It would be a very un-Herman decision. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Knighthawk said:

Don’t give a shit who they pick.  The ULL and arky games will settle this decision … win both and the decision is validated.  Lose one or both and they made the wrong choice and will go with the other guy.  

We should win both of these games with either QB.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Both.  
think we see plenty of both this season because we will have such a big lead by the third quarter in most games.  All gas no brakes! 

I know we're not supposed to do anything other than chug Kool-Aid and ride the hype train, but low key, if you told me that 'Generic Team X' went 7-3 last year, then lost their entrenched QB1, lost their stud LT, lost their best defensive player, lost their best secondary player (although it's debatable if that was Caden), and hired a new head coach, then asked me to project how they were gonna do the next season, it'd be pretty tricky for me to project them as being world-eaters under most circumstances.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, touchthemonolith said:

I know we're not supposed to do anything other than chug Kool-Aid and ride the hype train, but low key, if you told me that 'Generic Team X' went 7-3 last year, then lost their entrenched QB1, lost their stud LT, lost their best defensive player, lost their best secondary player (although it's debatable if that was Caden), and hired a new head coach, then asked me to project how they were gonna do the next season, it'd be pretty tricky for me to project them as being world-eaters under most circumstances.

Counter point: We fired Tom Herman 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

And I’d say one loss was in multiple overtimes, one occurred on a fumble at the half yard line and the other was .5 yards from a double digit win. Keep in mind, we had new coaches last year with screwed up prep time.

Then I’d say Caden didn’t play much and wasn’t the best anyway. Then you might consider that the LT missed the final two games, and we scored over 100.

I’m certainly in the top quartile supporters of Sam, but this is how you’d like a QB transition to occur - one guy with lots of time in the program battling a dude that’s had a year and checks many boxes.

We have tons of experience at Dline, TE and DB. High level attributes at RB with good experience in the 2 deep. Lots of starts/years in the program at OLine. P/K are very experienced and have shown they can do it. Anybody who is overly concerned with the LBer group really has concerns about their coach. We aren’t relying on a true frosh and you have a top shelf guy there too. WRs are somewhat of a question, but we didn’t have a go to guy last year. There are enough bodies to find 3 consistent contributors.

So there. 10 wins.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, TankedBevo said:

Counter point: We fired Tom Herman 

I wonder how many times our fan base has to go through the same thing before we learn.

Tom Herman needed to go and I like Sark. I want him to succeed so badly. But if you're being honest with yourself, what's more likely: (a) Steve Sarkisian becomes a Texas Longhorn legend, up there with DKR and Mack, we name part of our stadium after him and build a statue of him outside the stadium; or (b) Sark has some ups, some downs, we get sick of waiting for him to come around, and we move on before the end of the decade? I want the first one to be true, but you're lying if you say that the second one isn't way more likely.

3 minutes ago, touchthemonolith said:

I wonder how many times our fan base has to go through the same thing before we learn.

Tom Herman needed to go and I like Sark. I want him to succeed so badly. But if you're being honest with yourself, what's more likely: (a) Steve Sarkisian becomes a Texas Longhorn legend, up there with DKR and Mack, we name part of our stadium after him and build a statue of him outside the stadium; or (b) Sark has some ups, some downs, we get sick of waiting for him to come around, and we move on before the end of the decade? I want the first one to be true, but you're lying if you say that the second one isn't way more likely.

press your luck no GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, touchthemonolith said:

But if you're being honest with yourself, what's more likely: (a) Steve Sarkisian becomes a Texas Longhorn legend, up there with DKR and Mack, we name part of our stadium after him and build a statue of him outside the stadium; or (b) Sark has some ups, some downs, we get sick of waiting for him to come around, and we move on before the end of the decade? I want the first one to be true, but you're lying if you say that the second one isn't way more likely.

Somebody might need a little Matt Foley... 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

And I’d say one loss was in multiple overtimes, one occurred on a fumble at the half yard line and the other was .5 yards from a double digit win. Keep in mind, we had new coaches last year with screwed up prep time.

Then I’d say Caden didn’t play much and wasn’t the best anyway. Then you might consider that the LT missed the final two games, and we scored over 100.

I’m certainly in the top quartile supporters of Sam, but this is how you’d like a QB transition to occur - one guy with lots of time in the program battling a dude that’s had a year and checks many boxes.

We have tons of experience at Dline, TE and DB. High level attributes at RB with good experience in the 2 deep. Lots of starts/years in the program at OLine. P/K are very experienced and have shown they can do it. Anybody who is overly concerned with the LBer group really has concerns about their coach. We aren’t relying on a true frosh and you have a top shelf guy there too. WRs are somewhat of a question, but we didn’t have a go to guy last year. There are enough bodies to find 3 consistent contributors.

So there. 10 wins.

I really hope you're right, but if your expectation is that we have essentially no growing pains this year and have our most dominant season in the last ~11 years, then I think you're likely to have a bad time.