TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

I really hope you're right, but if your expectation is that we have essentially no growing pains this year and have our most dominant season in the last ~11 years, then I think you're likely to have a bad time.

There will be growing pains.

For me, every year is 10 wins. I will be correct again. It’s just a matter of when. We are primed to have our most dominant season in over a decade.

I do think we have more depth across the board. We seem to be healthy to start, which hasn’t been the case in awhile it seems. We do have walk ons with greater upside than dudes who have started at Texas in the past quarter century or so. A good staff will have them competing at practice.

No idea if this were the case last year, but a senior, returning QB can be a detriment when over relied upon. Whether that over reliance is on the coaches or teammates or both is a question. Let’s go ahead and make that a positive for this year - ever buddy wanting to make a play rather than waiting/hoping Sam will make one.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I know we're not supposed to do anything other than chug Kool-Aid and ride the hype train, but low key, if you told me that 'Generic Team X' went 7-3 last year, then lost their entrenched QB1, lost their stud LT, lost their best defensive player, lost their best secondary player (although it's debatable if that was Caden), and hired a new head coach, then asked me to project how they were gonna do the next season, it'd be pretty tricky for me to project them as being world-eaters under most circumstances.

Show me a loss. But in all seriousness, good teams continue success with the next man up, and we have the roster of a good/great team
  • Fuck You 2

29 minutes ago, YeeYeeCTE said:

Show me a loss. But in all seriousness, good teams continue success with the next man up, and we have the roster of a good/great team

Man, I don't know if I could say with a straight face that we have the roster of a great team right now. Does anyone feel overwhelmed with confidence in our offensive line? Tight ends? Which of our WRs do you say is not just good, not just promising and filled with potential, but great right now? I feel good about the QB situation but I can't call Card or Thompson great yet based on the combined zero college football games they've started. Which of our linebackers is great: 2020 Big 12 Honorable Mention DeMarvion Overshown? Do you think we have any All-Americans in our secondary?

We have a great running back room, a great returner, and the defensive line this year should be special. But my expectation isn't a NY6 berth this year: it's steady growth, development, and buy-in. I want our game against ULL to be our worst and our game against Kansas State to be our best. 

7 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Ok bitches. Stake your claim. Team Casey or Team Hudson. 

I'll be extremely surprised if Casey Thompson isn't QB up first for a few reasons. 

1) he's apparently been the QB leading the off-season and organizing his teammates so chances are he's the leader they trust most when GameDay shit hits the fan. 

2) His Alamo Bowl performance. Ehlinger did jack and shit against that defense for the first half then Thompson came in and instantly set that defense on fire. Right now Sark doesn't know if Card is just a tee shirt warrior at this point but we've seen Thompson rise up in a game. 

3) If it's a very close race as it seems it's way easier to go with the upperclassman with experience first and if he falters can turn to the freshman. It's far more difficult to throw the freshman out first and if he buckles go back to the guy who lead everything in the off-season and the team mostly likely believed should have started first anyway. It just makes things awkward to do it that way and you risk Thompson checking out if he feels the younger guy got the push over him. 

3 hours ago, touchthemonolith said:

I wonder how many times our fan base has to go through the same thing before we learn.

Tom Herman needed to go and I like Sark. I want him to succeed so badly. But if you're being honest with yourself, what's more likely: (a) Steve Sarkisian becomes a Texas Longhorn legend, up there with DKR and Mack, we name part of our stadium after him and build a statue of him outside the stadium; or (b) Sark has some ups, some downs, we get sick of waiting for him to come around, and we move on before the end of the decade? I want the first one to be true, but you're lying if you say that the second one isn't way more likely.

3 hours ago, touchthemonolith said:

I really hope you're right, but if your expectation is that we have essentially no growing pains this year and have our most dominant season in the last ~11 years, then I think you're likely to have a bad time.

2 hours ago, touchthemonolith said:

Man, I don't know if I could say with a straight face that we have the roster of a great team right now. Does anyone feel overwhelmed with confidence in our offensive line? Tight ends? Which of our WRs do you say is not just good, not just promising and filled with potential, but great right now? I feel good about the QB situation but I can't call Card or Thompson great yet based on the combined zero college football games they've started. Which of our linebackers is great: 2020 Big 12 Honorable Mention DeMarvion Overshown? Do you think we have any All-Americans in our secondary?

We have a great running back room, a great returner, and the defensive line this year should be special. But my expectation isn't a NY6 berth this year: it's steady growth, development, and buy-in. I want our game against ULL to be our worst and our game against Kansas State to be our best. 

You know what, you can take your level headed thinking and take it somewhere the fuck else, friend! 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I bet the AAS makes this about race if Card wins the battle. 

You saying that just because Card is faster?

I don't think that Sark will have them race for the job. (And if he does, I don't think that the AAS will ever get wind of it.)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, touchthemonolith said:

Which of the two would you be more upset about transferring?

Card. If Thompson is the starter this year and does good enough to enter the draft, then we are looking at Charles Wright being our qb. Ideally, Thompson will start this year and enter the draft and Card will then take over. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, TenCarryTom said:

Card. If Thompson is the starter this year and does good enough to enter the draft, then we are looking at Charles Wright being our qb. Ideally, Thompson will start this year and enter the draft and Card will then take over. 

Whenever we talk about transferring, we probably need to distinguish between leaving now and leaving after this season. For a lot of reasons, it wouldn't make sense for Card to transfer right away, and if he waits until the end of the season, he would know if Casey is going pro or staying and presumably would stick around if the former. Who knows, maybe Card even sticks around and waits it out behind Casey another year. But yeah, what you said is probably worst case scenario.

If Casey loses the job, he transfers at some point for sure. Still not sure if he'd leave right away but seems more possible.

Question for anyone who has played football: 

How often has the starting QB on your team been the person with most arm talent?

I keep hearing this as the reason one QB should start over another, and I don't just dont think it's as important of a factor as people make it out to be.

Only if all else is equal, which it never is...

High school - nope. Pitcher (who was also the smartest QB on deity chart) had no touch. Moved to DB (all state). Backup was fast, strong arm, and very accurate.  Moved to punter. QB was a guy who was more basketball player than football (but ended up as a Safety in CFB... Because that's what used to happen...)

College - nope. Backup was bigger and stronger, with more arm talent, and similar accuracy.  He just didnt move the team.

I didnt play in the league (hell, I didnt 'play' inn college...) But we see it every season... Arm talent is hyped as a big deal by fans and media... Everyone but players.

Yes, arm talent matters if the QB is really good... All the baseball QBs tend to have strong arms. But it's the decision making that matters most. All the big QBs are strong, because they're big.

How many Big Arm failures are there?

"Arm talent" is a trait that makes really good QBs elite.  But arm talent won't make a QB really good.  

So... Let's hope our arm talent QB is really good.

• Hook 'Em 1

Josh throwing some "shade" at Casey based on FCB write-up. 

Anonymous source "there's a look-at-me quality to Casey Thompson with the way he posts his workouts on social media"...  " I think some of his teammates feel like they don't know the real Casey"

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

10 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Anonymous source "there's a look-at-me quality to Casey Thompson with the way he posts his workouts on social media"...  " I think some of his teammates feel like they don't know the real Casey"

What kind of stupid highschool girl bullshit take is that? Citing Fuck Chip Brown and an "anonymous source" to fully formulate an opinion on a QB competition is hilarious and lazy at the same time 

• Hook 'Em 2

This is obviously a longer version of the clip posted from this guy the other day, when it was excerpted to focus on the receivers. He pumps up Chip Brown (who he says he usually likes), because he’s about to shit all over FCB’s bad take about some in the locker room being put off by Casey’s alleged look-at-me, rah-rah stuff. This commentator says the scrimmage production by the QBs will define what their teammates will think of them, not if they are blowhards. So he’s saying Fuck Chip Brown, not Casey Thompson.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2021 at 9:16 PM, gmr548 said:

Well the $9.95 crowd tells me Becton has revolutionized S&C and everyone's in the best shape of their life, so I wouldn't worry about that.

If you can tell me how many new S&C coaches we’ve had since 88 I’ll tell you how many times I’ve heard this quote during fall camp

Thx for this @BurntOrange&White

IT practice report

In 2016 we suspected freshman Shane Buechele would start at quarterback (it’s the main reason I liked him as the take in the first place) thanks to his maturity and high early floor at the position. But we didn’t know he would start over Tyrone Swoopes until we got a clear idea of rep allocation in practice. The reports of who is playing better is useful but often subjective — understanding rep allocation is the true key.

Dating back to the spring, the Casey Thompson and Hudson Card competition had been evenly split when it came to reps with the ones, other than the spring game where Steve Sarkisian placed Thompson primarily with the first group.

This week there has been a change and both rep allocation and subjective practice reports are in agreement that Hudson Card is currently the best option at quarterback, though it’s not like our sources think he’s run away with it yet. There is some separation, though.

While Thompson is with the second team, Sarkisian is still coaching him hard and working with him like nothing has changed on the depth chart. To be expected but good to hear because both will be needed.

One knock on Card is he’s sacked too often but that also tells us he’s protecting the ball and not throwing it up for grabs. There are also times when he’s able to escape the pocket where he demonstrates the willingness to extend plays and keep his eyes down field. Along with being athletic he also has some savviness to him. Not to make Ian’s knees weak, but he has some Pump Fake Purdy to him when on the perimeter. 

Of note: While hitting schools yesterday we heard a great first hand account of Card’s toughness but we’ll shelve it for now. No need to give the wrong impression that we’re anointing him. But it is a useful story we’ll get to.

With Casey, it’s more of what we’ve been writing. He’s not getting it out quick enough and if you hesitate in this zero sum DL/OL setting they’re going to get to you. Like Card, he has been playing better than he did in the scrimmage, however, and there’s a lot of confidence in him winning games when he’s needed.

From FCB...

Sarkisian praises quarterbacks after second scrimmage of fall camp, still not ready to announce a starter

By  FUCK CHIP BROWN        15 hours ago

One week after expressing disappointment with how his quarterbacks - Casey Thompson and Hudson Card - played in a scrimmage, Texas coach Steve Sarkisian said both quarterbacks "played winning football" in Saturday's second scrimmage of fall camp.

Sarkisian said he'd like to make a decision on who will be his starting quarterback "sooner rather than later" and added "that doesn't mean I have to tell you guys" in addressing reporters after the scrimmage.

Texas opens the season at home against Louisiana on Sept. 4.

Sarkisian was asked if he'd play both quarterbacks in the season opener.

"As far as the quarterbacks in week one, ideally the scenario is we have a starter, and he plays really well, and that's the way it goes," Sarkisian said. "I'm not going to go into that game saying series two or series three or the second half the next guy is gonna play. But that doesn't mean if we need him to play that I won't put him in based on how the game is going."

After last Saturday's first scrimmage of fall camp - after only two days in full pads - Sarkisian said he didn't think Thompson, a redshirt junior, nor Card, a redshirt freshman, trusted their protections or reads and ended up turning the ball over and taking too many sacks. Sources said Thompson had two interceptions in last week's scrimmage, while both quarterbacks took multiple sacks. 

Sources told Horns247 Sarkisian fired off some come-to-you-know-who comments to his quarterbacks and the offense, in general, following the scrimmge about sharpening focus and picking it up.

Sarkisian, who acknowledged Saturday that he doesn't game plan for fall camp scrimmages - but instead simply calls plays that have been installed - called the offensive performance in this week's scrimmage a "role reversal" from a week ago.

"I thought they had a really good week," Sarkisian said of his quarterbacks. "We challenged 'em after that first scrimmage, and I thought they had a really good, first three days coming off the scrimmage - Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday was a little spotty. Not quite where I wanted it. Came back and had a really good, crisp, clean practice yesterday, and then they both went out and performed pretty well from the naked eye today.

"I thought they took care of the ball. I thought our tempo was better offensively, which is a lot on them to control that. Whether it was shifts and motions or trying to go fast, they control that on the field. And I thought they got completions, and that's half of the key to our system is getting completions. We have to be able to get the ball to our players in space, allow them to make plays. And then, when the opportunity presents itself, take those shots, but take those shots while being accurate, and I thought they did that today. But they'd really been doing it all week, and that's the positive side."

When asked how close the quarterbacks are playing to the standard Sarkisian is looking for, he said, "I would say they played winning football today, and that's the standard. Are they putting us in position to win games, and they did that. It starts with taking care of the ball. A second aspect of that is managing the offense. I always laugh at the cliche that a guy is a good game manager. Well, that's a prerequisite for playing quarterback. And then the third thing was I thought they took advantage of opportunities when they were there.

"Probably the biggest thing we did better today than last week is we got the ball out of our hands. We took some sacks last week. I didn't think our eyes were great last week. And, in turn, we didn't trust reads. We didn't see coverages, and we were late with the ball. Today, I thought they trusted their protection. They knew what was happening. They got the ball out of their hands, on time and accurately, which, in turn, resulted in less sacks and allowed us to move the ball efficiently down the field."

When asked about when he'd like to have a decision on his starting quarterback for Week 1, Sarkisian said, "Oh man, it's on my mind. I don't want to act like I'm neglecting it. It's definitely on my mind. In an ideal world, you'd know sooner rather than later. If I can put my head down on the pillow tonight and know who that starter is, that's great. That doesn't mean I have to tell you guys (the media) and announce it. But I may know. That would be ideal.

"As we maneuver through this next week, we'll see. I've got to look at this tape and really evaluate some special situations and some things that came up  and how we operated in some areas where maybe I had some concerns about one guy or the other - and was he able to handle those situation as they came up?

"But as I've said all along, these guys have made it difficult, because, other than last Saturday, when we just didn't play great at quarterback, they're performing pretty good. They're playing good and making it hard, and I appreciate that about them, and it gives me a sense of comfort.

"I've always said, we're probably in a better position at quarterback than a lot of people, because I believe we have two guys who can play. I believe in having a starter and having a backup. But when you know you've got a backup who can play at a high level, that's really a luxury, because there's a lot of teams that maybe have a returning starter, a front-line guy, but the backup may not be very capable. We're in a pretty good position that way."

On 8/14/2021 at 11:58 AM, LTtxfan said:

Dude, he said Chip should be a Hollywood writer for a Netflix show, the implication being that Chip makes shit up.  He went on to say that Chip does this because ne doesn't really know anything about football.  How did you come to the conclusion that he was dissing Casey?

Tom Cruise What GIF

Morning Brew: Sarkisian's biggest decision of Year 1 at Texas

By  FUCK CHIP BROWN     15 minutes ago

The biggest decision of Steve Sarkisian's first year at Texas is about to be made.

How big is Sarkisian’s decision to name either redshirt freshman Hudson Card or redshirt junior Casey Thompson as the Texas Longhorns’ starting quarterback in the season opener against Louisiana on Sept. 4?  It could be big enough to determine if Sarkisian trends more toward Lincoln Riley at Oklahoma or Jim Harbaugh at Michigan.

Riley has been able to elevate one quarterback after another in Norman. As a result, the Sooners have continued the dominance Riley inherited from Bob Stoops.

After having Andrew Luck help Harbaugh turn things around in four seasons at Stanford, capped by a 12-1 season in 2010, Harbaugh hasn’t been able to get the quarterback question right in six years at Michigan. One loss after another against hated rival Ohio State has piled up during that time.

After coaching at Washington and USC before falling out as coach of the Trojans in 2015, Sarkisian chose to return to one of the biggest spotlights in college athletics as the latest commander and chief of Texas football - knowing one of his first priorities would be finding Sam Ehlinger’s successor.

Sarkisian watched Thompson go 8-of-10 through the air with four touchdown passes in the second half of Texas’ 55-23 victory over Colorado in the Alamo Bowl just days before he took the UT job.

“I probably wouldn’t take a head-coaching job if there wasn’t talent already on the roster at quarterback,” Sarkisian said shortly after being introduced at Texas.

Card, a four-star recruit from nearby Lake Travis, is seen as having elite arm talent and NFL upside despite completing just 1-of-3 passes for 5 yards in mop-up duty last season.

Thompson has completed 69 percent of his passes with six touchdowns and zero interceptions in seven career games at Texas. He led the Longhorns to points on eight of the 10 drives he had in 2020 while completing 12 of 17 passes (71 percent) for 225 yards - and scored on all five of his drives in the Alamo Bowl.

If two quarterbacks are neck-and-neck, do you go with the younger guy with upside to try to find out where his ceiling is? Or do you go with the four-year player who has put in the grind and is coming off a red-hot bowl performance?

"I've always said, we're probably in a better position at quarterback than a lot of people, because I believe we have two guys who can play,” Sarkisian said after Saturday’s second scrimmage of fall camp.

“I believe in having a starter and having a backup. But when you know you've got a backup who can play at a high level, that's really a luxury, because there's a lot of teams that maybe have a returning starter, a front-line guy, but the backup may not be very capable. We're in a pretty good position that way.”

If Sarkisian goes with Card, the sense is Thompson, after working and waiting for three years behind Ehlinger, might not see any hope if passed over for a redshirt freshman and could leave.

If Thompson is named the starter, the sense is Card would probably stay in the program and keep competing as a kid who grew up in Austin.

If it’s Card and his football IQ, pocket presence and command of the huddle (and of the locker room) all prove to be as on point as Card’s live arm and tight spiral, then the Sark era at Texas is off and running.

But Card, who is listed at 200 pounds (and is closer to 190), had better stay healthy. If Thompson leaves, there’s a chance true freshman Charles Wright (6-1, 200) or walk-ons Ben Ballard (5-11, 196) or Cole Lourd (6-2, 228) could be one play away from starting.

Sarkisian’s best piece of coaching in Year 1 might be some Yoda-like quarterback whispering to keep Thompson from entering the transfer portal if Card is the starter.

Sarkisian said the decision would probably come down to a “gut feel.”

Sarkisian’s gut feel on who to start at quarterback in the past has been pretty good.

He went with the unheralded three-star senior Mac Jones last season at Alabama instead of five-star freshman Bryce Young (the kid Nick Saban told Texas high school coaches has nearly $1 million in NIL earnings without having started a college game). Jones led the Tide to a national title while becoming a Heisman Trophy finalist.

As the offensive coordinator at USC under Pete Carroll, Sarkisian went with the young, up-and-comer Matt Leinart over the veteran Matt Cassel following Carson Palmer’s Heisman Trophy winning season with the Trojans in 2002.

Leinart went on to win two national titles and a Heisman Trophy (before being out-dueled by Vince Young and Texas for the 2005 national championship).

But it’s undoubtedly the story of Cassel that Sarkisian will try to sell to the Texas quarterback who doesn’t win the starting job.

Despite never having started a college game at quarterback during his four years at USC (2001-04), Cassel was drafted in the seventh round by the New England Patriots in 2005 and went on to a 14-year NFL career.

“I’m pretty proud of Cassel’s development,” Sarkisian said when I asked him about how tough the Card-Thompson decision would be and if any others compared to it?

Can Sarkisian, a former NFL offensive coordinator, convince whoever doesn’t win the starting job that he is still the best coach/quarterback developer to help achieve their dream of playing in the NFL - a la Cassel?

There’s no doubt Card’s arm talent is immense. Everyone saw it in the spring game, when he threw Marcus Washington open for a touchdown. Card released the perfect spiral while Washington was completely covered up by a face-guarding defender - only to see Washington’s hands emerge from behind the defender and make the TD grab.

Thompson doesn’t have Card’s arm strength, but he’s shown strong, second-reaction skills when protection breaks down, being able to step up in the pocket and slide while keeping his eyes downfield to connect with receivers as he did in the Alamo Bowl.

Being able to deliver the deep out with the flick of a wrist and throw nothing but flutter-less passes doesn’t always equate to winning.

The history of college football - and even the history of UT football - is littered with stories of quarterbacks who lacked the arm strength of a teammate but went on to win big.

At Texas, just in the past 30 years, James Brown beat out Shea Morenz; Major Applewhite had his moments during his battle with Chris Simms; Vince Young beat out Chance Mock (despite Mock’s 16-to-2 TD-to-INT ratio at the time in 2003); and Colt McCoy ran off Jevan Snead.

The positives of a golden-armed quarterback are negated if he doesn’t operate well in a dirty pocket or lacks second-reaction skills. Everyone remembers Ehlinger’s freshman year, when he would feel pressure and often go out the back of the pocket, throw off his back foot, get intercepted or take a big loss. It’s a common mistake for young quarterbacks, and it’s something Card has struggled with as well, according to sources.

Both quarterbacks avoided turning the ball over in Saturday’s scrimmage. Earlier in camp, Thompson suffered more interceptions than Card, while Card has taken more sacks than Thompson.

Some could argue if Sarkisian names the redshirt freshman Card as the starter - and if Card happens to struggle - Sarkisian is buying himself some time by living with the growing pains that could accompany developing the younger quarterback.

And if Wright, Ballard or Lourd ends up as the backup quarterback, and something happens to Card … well, let’s not look through our fingers at that possible scenario just yet.

The announcement of Sarkisian as the new head coach at Texas came one day after he helped lead a record-setting Alabama offense that included three Heisman Trophy finalists (including the winner - DaVonta Smith) to a resounding national title victory over Ohio State.

His offensive prowess and reputation for developing quarterbacks were significant factors in Texas’ hiring Sarkisian to match wits with OU’s Riley and try to put an end to the Sooners’ stranglehold on the Big 12.

Fair or not, that reputation is on the line with Sarkisian’s first quarterback decision in Austin.

The outcome of this decision will likely impact the decisions of star-studded recruiting targets who want to see a prolific offense, led by a prolific quarterback and how they can fit into it.

A cool Californian who has built his career by making difficult things look easy, Sarkisian has been very comfortable in his own skin since arriving at Texas. Right down to deciding not to bring in a transfer quarterback to compete with Card and Thompson.

No matter who is named the starter, some fans will second-guess it. Even Texas fans - until they see how things turn out on the field.

For the last decade, Texas has been ripe for second-guessing - whether it’s opponents twisting something into negative recruiting or a national media that has grown weary of being bullish on Bevo.

UT coaches who have lacked strong self-conviction or self-awareness have struggled to keep perception from becoming reality when the naysayers have come calling. See Charlie Strong, Tom Herman and Shaka Smart.

Players have appreciated Sarkisian getting to know them on a personal level instead of making things personal with players to get points across with fear-based leadership.

The cacophony surrounding this decision alone has the ability to become a distraction for the locker room if Sarkisian doesn’t manage the messaging so that everything rings true with his players.

The players always seem to know who the quarterback should or shouldn’t be. If it’s a player the locker room is concerned about - for one reason or another - it will usually show in the team’s play.

If the players are comfortable and confident in Sarkisian’s decision, that should be reflected on the field, too.

Ideally, teammates would do anything for a quarterback they believe in. And that quarterback should be someone who can elevate the play of those around him - and step up and lead when adversity strikes.

Adversity is coming. Whether it’s against Louisiana, at Arkansas, at TCU or in the Cotton Bowl against OU.

Everyone will be watching to see how one of the most high-profile quarterback positions in all of football - from Bobby Layne and James Street to VY and Colt - handles those adverse moments and where things go from there?

No one seems to do football drama like the Longhorns (since 2010) and the Dallas Cowboys (since about 1996).

But both fan bases are tired of drama and just want wins - at best - or week-to-week improvement at worst.

With a move to the Southeastern Conference looming, Texas officials are counting on Sarkisian to elevate the program, one decision at a time.

Starting with this one.

FCB-Tower.gif