Who's been covid vaxxed? Stand up and be counted.

High Plains Drifter

I got the first injection today. Apparently, at our local small town vaccination location, not enough people who are eligible (65+ or whatever) sign up to use all the available vaccines, or sign up and don't show up, so they have a waiting list. Sign up for the wait list in advance, show up at your time, wait around a while to see if they have extra (they always do), and get the shot. Wife and I showed up at 11, got the shot at about 12:30.  We have an appointment in three weeks to get the second shot.

As you pull into the parking lot, they direct the waiting list people to park in a certain place. You wait in the car, when someone doesn't show and there is an opening in the sign ups, they come to the car and get you. Actual shot was inside the hospital. Went pretty smoothly, no protesters or any of that bullshit to deal with.

Anybody else got it yet?

Yes, 1st shot of Moderna last week at Kelly Reeves in Austin. 1B group. Super streamlined, took about 20 minutes total and never got out of the car. Had a headache, general tiredness and sore arm the day after. 

Edited by texhorn

3 minutes ago, texhorn said:

Yes, 1st shot of Moderna last week at Kelly Reeves in Austin. 1B group. Super streamlined, took about 20 minutes total and never got out of the car. Had a headache, general tiredness and sore arm the day after. 

I & my wife have been on the FHS waiting list since January 7th and have not been notified by email to make an appointment yet.

2 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I & my wife have been on the FHS waiting list since January 7th and have not been notified by email to make an appointment yet.

I'm here to tell you.....be assertive and aggressive.  On a daily basis, check your county and surrounding counties for any update info, any other means to call and get in line somewhere, anywhere.

Gotta think like a hunter.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I don't mean for this to sound the wrong way, but I've seen multiple posters try to give you some options to chase down on the other thread, and you have come up with an excuse each time to avoid following their leads, including one because the vaccine was in one county over from you.  Like Brisket said, you've got to be your own advocate with this.  Signing up for one wait list is not going to cut it.  I seriously hope you get your shot soon and would recommend you take the help that some of the guys on this website are offering towards that end.

25 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

It doesn’t, but we are on three wait lists in Travis & Wilco.

I keep hearing about “refreshing” their websites to find an opening, but nothing pops up nor do I see a button to click on.

Don't just use the web -- use the phone number they offer for signups.  At hot times, you'll need to hit redial 10, 20, 30 times to get it to ring.  Imagine what a pain in the ass would do.  Then quadruple that.

49 minutes ago, Stannis said:

I don't mean for this to sound the wrong way, but I've seen multiple posters try to give you some options to chase down on the other thread, and you have come up with an excuse each time to avoid following their leads, including one because the vaccine was in one county over from you.  Like Brisket said, you've got to be your own advocate with this.  Signing up for one wait list is not going to cut it.  I seriously hope you get your shot soon and would recommend you take the help that some of the guys on this website are offering towards that end.

Cut him some slack. He’s like 80 years old. My parents in law are close to 80 and they have signed up here, there, everywhere and they are still waiting for a call. It fucking sucks and I hate that old people are having to be chasing leads like this.

• Hook 'Em 3

Cut him some slack. He’s like 80 years old. My parents in law are close to 80 and they have signed up here, there, everywhere and they are still waiting for a call. It fucking sucks and I hate that old people are having to be chasing leads like this.

On that I agree. It sucks that this is the way it is.

Got my 2nd Pfizer dose on 1/22.  Knocked me down pretty good the entire next day, but was back to normal after 36 hours. Just happy to have them both in me.

Just double checked my appointment. I’m actually scheduled 2/5. Which means I’ll have the weekend to rest/recover. Was it fatigue, body aches, alien crawling out of chest?

Both parents and in-laws will be fully vaccinated on Friday.

I signed them up through San Antonio website. Sucks they have to drive down for it, but they said round one was as efficient as a chick fil a drive through.

Somewhere related, I was able to get a PS5 before Christmas. To get both a PS5 and a vaccine for my folks, I had to be persistent with checking every outlet, very often.

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, smoky said:

I signed them up through San Antonio website. Sucks they have to drive down for it, but they said round one was as efficient as a chick fil a drive through.

Somewhere related, I was able to get a PS5 before Christmas. To get both a PS5 and a vaccine for my folks, I had to be persistent with checking every outlet, very often.

Don’t tell me, but I bet you won the Powerball and   Megamillions.

26 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I’m getting my first dose tomorrow at Kelly Reeves. For those who have gone, will they give you an appointment for your second dose, or do you have to go through the online gauntlet again and hope to get booked?

They are supposed to email you after three weeks with the appt date and time. They’ve been pretty good about it and often the email comes in faster than three weeks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It doesn’t, but we are on three wait lists in Travis & Wilco.
I keep hearing about “refreshing” their websites to find an opening, but nothing pops up nor do I see a button to click on.

When it does become available, it will have the name (usually Kelly Reeves complex) at the bottom, then click and SOME of the time, the scheduling will actually be available.

This is only possible when they get their stuff. When I booked mine there, it became active on a Sunday evening, for a Monday appointment.

ETA, a friend was able to schedule an appointment on a Monday around lunch time, for an evening shot that same day.

To answer South Austin’s question, my schedule email for shot #2 came the days after the first shot.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I could slide into 1a if I wanted to, but haven't pressed it cause I am not in a patient facing position and want the really high risk to get their jabs. I've waitlisted as 1b cause I got big dick energy. Definitely working every available angle and will take that shot at first available opportunity. 

Just now, Armybrat
49 minutes ago, smoky said:

Don’t tell me, but I bet you won the Powerball and   Megamillions.

Feels like it.

Seriously though, if you're having trouble getting an appointment, PM me your cell and how far you're willing to travel and I'll let you know when I see something open up.

It'll be up to you to do the booking though once you get my text.

• Like 1

Second shot Jan 30, I’m a first responder it knocked about half our guys down for a day with some pretty severe flu like symptoms including some decent fevers including me, but I guess it couldn’t of came sooner because one of the people I worked with on a 48 hour shift ended up testing positive the same day of my second shot.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, DaysOff said:

Well maybe the old farts could get a slot if you guys quit cutting in line. But I'm fat, so 1B.

I don't know if this was directed at me or not, but I didn't cut it line. I took the place of some old fart who either didn't show for their appointment, or didn't bother to make one.

I've been vigilant about keeping an eye out for just such an opportunity.

I was starting to consider driving a couple hours to another city where I heard they were allowing people to show up and get on a wait list, but this opened up on Friday, so I jumped on it.

I'm actually surprised that 1a or 1b or whoever is not taking advantage. I live in a small rural town, pretty trumpy, so maybe they are all covid hoaxers, I dunno.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I’m getting my first dose tomorrow at Kelly Reeves. For those who have gone, will they give you an appointment for your second dose, or do you have to go through the online gauntlet again and hope to get booked?

When I was done with the fifteen minute wait after the injection, they had a little card with my name on it and the date and time (exactly three weeks from the time I got my shot earlier today) already ready to go. They said to show that to the guy directing traffic in the parking lot when I come back.

I've had both-Pfizer.  Also, after nearly a year of fighting this thing, I got a shipment of 3M N95 masks a few days after my second shot.  I should be safe as shit now.  My behavior, however,  has not changed-I am still relentlessly cautious. 

Moderna here. Got my first shot Wednesday and scheduled for my second Feb 24. Super simple. I’m under 65 so I had to go in. It was at the Alamo Dome and they had stuff pretty streamlined. Took about 30min. 

Shot sight is still a little achy-sore. No side effects other than that for me so far. I was told 50% of people have pretty bad flu symptoms after shot #2. Like eating-bad-food-in-a-3rd-world-country sick for 3 solid days. 

So, I’m pumped about that...

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm here to tell you.....be assertive and aggressive.  On a daily basis, check your county and surrounding counties for any update info, any other means to call and get in line somewhere, anywhere.

Gotta think like a hunter.

OR let those that need it get it first. 

People need to chill out. What is another 2-3 months? Do you really need to go to the strip club that bad? 

• Like 2

When the new strains spread is this going to protect anyone with a large percentage rate?  I know we are hearing the England one yes to a point but the others maybe not so much, idk?  If this thing keeps mutating so fast what do we do get a new shot every few months?  I truly don’t know and I’m not sure the reported data we are getting from the new ones that those people know at this point either.  I think we will be masked up for a while, unless you live in south central Texas where a lot still believe it’s a hoax and are going everywhere mask free...

Edited by Hook1997

I got the Moderna on Jan 27 through the Montgomery County Public Health Department ( mcdph-tax.org) at the Montgomery County Fairgrounds. I signed up with several providers and got an email at 4:45 PM Tuesday that there were 1500 doses to be given the next day with signup to start at 6:00 PM.  I refreshed their webpage at 6:00:02 and got a spot.  I was also invited to get a vaccination by Houston Methodist on Friday - they will be offering the vaccine to anyone who has seen a Methodist doctor in the last 2 years.  I am in group 1b, 65 years old or older.

Edited by Heisenberg

Have gotten the 1st Moderna shot.  Am due for the second but the provider that I got my first shot through is waiting for more that all seem to be going to APH.  The APH FAQ tells me I should get my second from whoever gave me my first.  I’m trying at APH nonetheless since it seems like the first provider may not get any more anytime soon.  Also looking at HEB and other options.  Glad to at least have the first shot but this change in the middle of the wait for the second is frustrating.

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

@TexEx15
Your provider should have automatically gotten the second dose for you. He/she shouldn’t be sitting quietly by hoping that second doses are sent. 

They got a second round of 1000 but they were sent 2 weeks early and they were instructed to use those for first shots rather than sitting on them.  I got mine through First Response Medical of Texas.  They have been really good about posting updates on their FB page.

2 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

They got a second round of 1000 but they were sent 2 weeks early and they were instructed to use those for first shots rather than sitting on them.  I got mine through First Response Medical of Texas.  They have been really good about posting updates on their FB page.

Sounds like a mess. Even if you don’t get a second dose, you still should be somewhat protected.

When the new strains spread is this going to protect anyone with a large percentage rate?  I know we are hearing the England one yes to a point but the others maybe not so much, idk?  If this thing keeps mutating so fast what do we do get a new shot every few months?  I truly don’t know and I’m not sure the reported data we are getting from the new ones that those people know at this point either.  I think we will be masked up for a while, unless you live in south central Texas where a lot still believe it’s a hoax and are going everywhere mask free...

The vaccines are effective against the UK and SA strains, particularly when it comes to avoiding severe illness. SA strain probably has a better chance of getting you mildly ill but isn’t going to put a vaccinated person in the hospital. It very well may turn into an annual or semi annual shot, updated as needed, like the flu shot though. Worth noting that the US has barely bothered sequencing any test samples until the past couple weeks. Like less than one percent. These variants are likely here, and there are probably others we don’t know about.

I work the next day and we don’t have enough pharmacist coverage for me to plan to take off.  The good news is if I have a fever, our protocol is for me to take a sick day and they have to deal with it.  There are 4 of us getting shot 2 on Thursday (me the RPh and 3 techs) and our whole workflow will be fucked if 2 or more of us have to be off.

It will be interesting.  I might just have to load up on Tylenol and Advil and push through.

10 minutes ago, Druggist said:

I work the next day and we don’t have enough pharmacist coverage for me to plan to take off.  The good news is if I have a fever, our protocol is for me to take a sick day and they have to deal with it.  There are 4 of us getting shot 2 on Thursday (me the RPh and 3 techs) and our whole workflow will be fucked if 2 or more of us have to be off.

It will be interesting.  I might just have to load up on Tylenol and Advil and push through.

This is what happened to one of our surgical hospitals last week. Half the OR called in sick on Friday (the day after)

I swear the vaccination logistics are being handled by monkeys... from the very top, down to the individual facilities