(2) Baylor at (6)Texas 6pm on ESPN

SDG

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

Shaka back. Players all back. Good game till around 9 minutes left then Baylor just ran away with it with glimpses of hope here and there. 

First 10 and last 10 min were meh. Middle 20 were pretty good for us! 

39 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Totally did. Whipped his head, stood staring at the guy on the ground sliding with him until he got up. If he turns and goes back up court without the stare down he's fine.

all he had to do was do the same thing but turn towards his own bench.  it was a T and I would expect it to be called the other way

We need to actually do something beyond the NIT...sigh.  no one buys Texas being a tough guy in basketball. 

Brown still needs that "HS alpha male" coached out of him. pretty much any time he gets the ball his thought process goes "can i shoot a three? no? ok then i'll just drive full steam ahead towards the rim without any real plan." only instead of a couple of 5'10" white kids named Tanner and Kyle standing in his way it's some 21 or 22 year old, 6'9" Marcellus Wallace looking motherfucker who can swat his shit for breakfast. he just needs to learn to slow down and let the game come to him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I honestly have no idea how Baylor is some kind of historic juggernaut this year, but I also saw on the ticker that they’re the first team since 1991 UNLV to start a season with 17 straight wins of at least 8 points.  When we think of the greatest college teams of all time, we obviously include Wooden’s best teams at UCLA, the 1970s Bob Knight Indiana squad that was the last to go undefeated, the Larry Johnson era UNLV teams that dominated everyone, and ... Baylor.  Do they even have an NBA 1st rounder? 

I'd say Butler is probably playing his way into a 1st round spot, but we'll see there. JTT and Matthew Mayer have potential to be up there but both have a lot of growing to do. Mostly it's a stacked roster of college players like Vital, Teague, and Mitchell getting it done.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Baylor shot 52.4% from three.

They've only shot that well against two other teams: ULala and Kansas State. But they’ve had many games in the mid -40% range. 

If they’re going to shoot like that, we’re not going to win.

And yes, next year will likely be ugly.

Texas shot almost 55% from the field, outrebounded Baylor, and had 10 more free throws...and lost by 14.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I really really want to move on from Smart.  he is never going to win the big12 and I don't ever see him getting past the second round in the tournament.  If he can't do it this year its never happening.  he had 6 years to build to this(even though he should have been shitcanned 2 years ago) and he's gonna piss it all away.  he's just not a very good coach.  maybe next year CDC can pull the trigger when we are back in the bottom half of the big 12 again.

18 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I really really want to move on from Smart.  he is never going to win the big12 and I don't ever see him getting past the second round in the tournament.  If he can't do it this year its never happening.  he had 6 years to build to this(even though he should have been shitcanned 2 years ago) and he's gonna piss it all away.  he's just not a very good coach.  maybe next year CDC can pull the trigger when we are back in the bottom half of the big 12 again.

Wow I had no idea you thought this. You should mention it many more times 

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Baylor's the best ncaa team I've seen at playing the modern nba game.

Yeah all the people applauding Baylor for running a dynamic offensive system don't know what they are watching. They essentially run the exact same movements we do only their players don't dribble the shit out of the ball every time they get it. They essentially make 2, or a max 3 dribbles, and then move the ball unless they're at the end of the shot clock. They don't ever miss an open man on a cut to the basket. Then they also move the ball with tremendous speed and precision and are purposeful in their movements, but there isn't anything exotic or extremely imaginative about their offensive system. They just execute at an extraordinarily high and consistent level . 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Yeah all the people applauding Baylor for running a dynamic offensive system don't know what they are watching. They essentially run the exact same movements we do only their players don't dribble the shit out of the ball every time they get it. They essentially make 2, or a max 3 dribbles, and then move the ball unless they're at the end of the shot clock. They don't ever miss an open man on a cut to the basket. Then they also move the ball with tremendous speed and precision and are purposeful in their movements, but there isn't anything exotic or extremely imaginative about their offensive system. They just execute at an extraordinarily high and consistent level . 

Agree and drew also recruits guys with a high IQ and guys that can shoot at every position. Shaka loves the super athlete that is raw and I guess thinks can coach them into a shooter. Which he can’t.

9 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Butler, Mitchell, and eventually Mayer will all spend time in the league. And then both Teague and Flagler will have long overseas careers. And that doesn't even count guys like LJ Cryer who is a freshman who doesn't even play but will eventually be an all-big 12 player. 

Meyer has work to do.  I like Flagler long term, feels like he has more upside.   We'll see. 

What's not arguable is the level of talent on the team and, most importantly, how well that talent plays together.  Great chemistry and cohesion. 

• Like 1

Drew seems to have hit the sweet spot in roster construction where he's getting good players but not one and done or two and done.  Plus he's redshirting guys.  Plus it builds culture.

Imo that's the sweet spot for fielding consistently good to great CBB teams in this era.

It looks like he's got a good class signed with one 5 star and two 4s. Well see how long he can maintain this practice if he starts getting better talent.

43 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Agree and drew also recruits guys with a high IQ and guys that can shoot at every position. Shaka loves the super athlete that is raw and I guess thinks can coach them into a shooter. Which he can’t.

I don't understand this critique. Vital and Tchatchoua can't shoot for shit and are no different than the supposed athletes with no skill that we recruit. And nobody can legitimately describe Andrew Jones, Coleman, Ramey as athletes who can't shoot. So where exactly does this narrative come from and who does it apply to?

Butler, Teague, and Mitchell have gotten progressively better as shooters over the years, but none of them were noteworthy in that department until this year.  Even last season none of them shot as well as even Matt Coleman or Andrew Jones from 3. They are having an absolute banner shooting season this year, but this idea that Drew is recruiting a different category of player than we are isn't true. If anything he follows pretty much the same formula as us, but redshirts and develops them into a cohesive unit much better. Of course the fact that he's in year 18 at Baylor and year 19 as a coach may have something to do with that. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Blotto said:

I remember when the narrative was that Drew was a horrible coach. Thats the narrative about Shaka today. Look out 2028!

I always thought the narrative was just that Drew was just the latest in a long line of amoral, dirty Baylor coaches.  He's an improvement, though - no players have murdered each other.  Or he's much better at covering it up.  Either way.

Baylor's really really good

Our team has played like 2 games in 3 weeks, had the coach out for a week, and multiple guys out for most of that time.

Y'all don't need to whine like little babies because they beat us last night. We have a good team that can make a deep run if they get it together and improve from here on out. Let's hope they do.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

Baylor's really really good

Our team has played like 2 games in 3 weeks, had the coach out for a week, and multiple guys out for most of that time.

Y'all don't need to whine like little babies because they beat us last night. We have a good team that can make a deep run if they get it together and improve from here on out. Let's hope they do.

How could you tell Shaka missed a week?

On 2/3/2021 at 1:40 AM, shadow_operative said:

re: GB III's poster, for the "they always call that a tech" crowd, I present to you the "No They Don't" highlight package:

turns around, screams at defender, flexes on him, no T:

hangs on the rim, stares down the defender, possibly barks at him, no T:

every time i look up i see someone doing something more egregious than GB III did with no call. the crowd who were upset with GB III and insisting that it was a stupid play that always gets a T can go ahead and eat crow now.