Live performance videos

jimmyjazz

Saw Avatar for the first time when they opened for Trivium, back in October of 2018. I did a 2 week trip to Sweden, Norway, and Finland at the end of February and was able to catch them headlining at Nosturi in Helsinki. They put on an amazing show! I highly recommend checking them out this summer at one of the big Rock festivals or in the fall when they headline the USA.

Edited by Slikwille

19 hours ago, Cajun said:

Geriatrics rockin' it...

Man, it's weird, I am so hot and cold over The Who.  Some of their stuff I love (like this tune) and some I'm just "eh".  They just don't quite resonate with me.  The weird thing, of all the guitar Gods, my style is most closely a rip of Pete Townshend, although he can lead like I could only hope to.  Still, his rhythm feel is the way I feel it.  I just don't dig all the songs.

Cool performance, though.  Who's the drummer?

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Man, it's weird, I am so hot and cold over The Who.  Some of their stuff I love (like this tune) and some I'm just "eh".  They just don't quite resonate with me.  The weird thing, of all the guitar Gods, my style is most closely a rip of Pete Townshend, although he can lead like I could only hope to.  Still, his rhythm feel is the way I feel it.  I just don't dig all the songs.

Cool performance, though.  Who's the drummer?

Zak Richard Starkey (born 13 September 1965) is an English rock drummer. He is the son of The Beatles drummer Ringo Starr, and has performed and recorded with English rock band The Who since 1996. He is also the third drummer to have appeared with English rock band Oasis. 

Other musicians and bands he has worked with include, Johnny Marr, Paul Weller, The Icicle Works, The Waterboys, ASAP, The Lightning Seeds and John Entwistle.

On 3/26/2019 at 12:25 PM, HiggyBaby said:

Live from Daryl’s House never disappointed.

Such a great groove

I always loved that drummer (Brian Dunne).  He has a huge, heavy backbeat, but not TOO far back . . . he's kind of what a rock version of a funk drummer would be.

Who's the bass player?  His tone is massive.

Cee-Lo, holy smokes he can sing, and Daryl goes without saying.  Master songwriter, master singer.

• 2 weeks later...

After watching The Dirt, went down a Crue rabbit hole...gotta say, this is a hell of a live show and set.  Everything you want from a Crue show...explosions, strippers, and the band is pretty solid too.  It's crazy how many absolutely killer riffs Mick Mars was responsible for. 

16 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

He's got a hell of an (underrated) voice.  And a damn good, down-to-earth drummer.

Looks like Lee Sklar on bass . . . solid choice.

One thing I've always liked about Phil Collins is his refusal to NOT play drums.  He's a drummer.  He just happens to be a helluva singer and a pretty good songwriter.  But in his heart, he's a drummer (and an Alamo historian).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Craig is a super solid prog drummer and he’s been recently posting about Phil as he learns his parts for the Genesis Revisited tour

That is so awesome.  Must just be mind-blowing to find yourself playing with someone you grew up listening to.  Of all the hours and hours of my fantasizing about being on stage or in a studio with my heroes, that it actually happens for some people is crazy to me.

Here's some Otis Redding in his final televised performance, which took place the day before he died in a plane crash outside of Madison, WI.  He's arguably the greatest singer of the pop era, and is certainly in the conversation, depending on your preferences, which might lean towards Smokey or Frank or Aretha or Freddie or Robert or maybe a few others.

Trivial factoid:  they were to play a show in Madison that would be opened by The Grim Reapers, a pop band whose members Rick Nielsen and Tom Petersson went on to form Cheap Trick.

Ha . . . I'm down the rabbit hole . . . I love watching insanely talented writers like Kenny Loggins show just how good they are musically, even on a "lightweight" throwaway tune like "Footloose".  Good fucking luck to the average Joe who thinks they can write a song this good.

• Like 1

OK, I'm a huge geek for great pop music, so here's a couple of the best pop tunes of the post-Beatles era.  Fastball is of course a local band, I'm not sure why Miles doesn't kick in the harmonies here, but it's still an insanely well-written tune.  The second clip is by the poster boys for beating up on pop bands, but fuck it, they wrote a fantastic song and they sing the Living Daylights out of it here, so suffer in the glory of gooey sweet pop goodness X2:

• 3 weeks later...

This is going viral, but it's one of the few such things that actually should go viral.  An unknown child let out a "wow" at the conclusion of a performance of a Mozart piece at Boston Symphony Hall.  The crowd laughed and then broke out into applause (which should be contrasted to the utterly despicable behavior some fans exhibited at a recent Broadway performance of "The King and I" when an autistic child got scared and began to shriek at a tense part of the performance):

• Like 1

When I caught Tedeschi Trucks Band at ACL Live, I was blown away by Susan's voice.  A friend just tipped me to this video, which reinforces the point.  I like Derek OK -- I'm not much of a fan of slide guitar, to be honest -- but her voice is just plain magical.  Any conversation about the best modern soul singer that doesn't include her is flawed.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...