Live performance videos

jimmyjazz

9 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Is he really underrated though? I always figured everyone acknowledges that’s he’s fantastic. Except of course the U2 sucks shock value morons.

Feels to me like he doesn't really get the credit he should.  He's kinda like Sting -- so iconic, and so known for songwriting, that the vocals just kind of get taken for granted.  Or maybe a better comparison would be John Lennon, for similar reasons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rawk.

I learned more in one marathon overnight recording session with Alejandro than I learned pretty much the rest of the time I engineered records.  The dude is the consummate professional.  At first blush, some would say he can't sing, but he sings perfectly . . . for his songs.  He's so fucking smart, and extremely adaptable to circumstance.

I don't know the guys backing him up on this version of "Castanets", but they kick all kinds of ass.

Damn.

OK, it's not technically a "live performance video", but I'd be shocked if these kids don't pretty much sound like this live.  I love the explosion of trained, legit young players forming pop/jazz/funk/whatever outfits and just killing it.  This band Melt seems legit.  The gal singing . . . whoa.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm digging this . . . Austinite Eleanor Whitmore plays with Steve Earle & The Dukes, and they got to back up Springsteen at an annual charity deal in NYC.  Eleanor was over the moon on social today.

Add a little Steve and Roseanne with a cover just to cap it off:

• Hook 'Em 1

Rawk.
I learned more in one marathon overnight recording session with Alejandro than I learned pretty much the rest of the time I engineered records.  The dude is the consummate professional.  At first blush, some would say he can't sing, but he sings perfectly . . . for his songs.  He's so fucking smart, and extremely adaptable to circumstance.
I don't know the guys backing him up on this version of "Castanets", but they kick all kinds of ass.

He came in to Rooster Andrews one day to buy some shoes. I helped him and he bought a pair of running shoes. He left and I noticed a little black notebook on the chair. Opened it up and it was a who’s who of the music world, song ideas, etc.

He came back in about an hour later frantic. He said that thing was basically his entire career.

Nice guy.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 months later...

Cool video of Steely Dan live in 1972.  David Palmer on lead vocals, punched up by Donald Fagen on the chorus.  Denny Dias shows exactly why he is the most criminally underrated guitarist in rock history.  Skunk Baxter on congas?  LMAO.  Perfect.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2018 at 10:26 PM, jimmyjazz said:

The moment I saw the "best 80's video" thread I thought "Peter Gabriel -- Sledgehammer".  And in my mind, it IS the best 80's video.  Actually, I'd say it's probably my favorite music video of all time.  I loved the track the moment I first heard it.

So here he is doing it live, and honestly, it's a better performance.  The band is flat out stunning (that's King Crimson's Tony Levin on bass, just listen to that fucking groove and tone).  But it's not just the playing, it's Gabriel himself, owning the place.  Really, quite a masterful job by a bunch of pro's pros:

The addition of the female backup for the fruit cage line is a nice touch for the live version. And the funky bass is killer. Will always regret not seeing him live. I assume he's done but who knows.

Edited by HiggyBaby

On 5/11/2021 at 8:49 PM, NYCH1 said:

My first concert was Neil Young and Crazy Horse with Sonic Youth/Social Distortion - March 1991 (Ragged Glory tour, The Summit-Houston). I still get chills thinking about those opening distorted notes from this song.

I swear this album is why I have to wear hearing aids now....Love that shit

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/30/2022 at 2:49 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Holy smokes, they've remixed and remastered the 1985 Prince & The Revolution concert from Syracuse, NY.  Today they released the first teaser, the opening song ("Let's Go Crazy").

Prince was an absolute beast.  Man, what a loss.

this isn't part of the remix/remaster effort but from the same show and the reason that some of us were in no way as surprised/blown away as most by the prince performance in while my guitar gently weeps.  three different, multi-minute, incredible guitar solos in this one with their own unique characters.  3:13, 5:18, and 10:00

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'll just leave this here.  This video/recording was lost, then almost erased after being rediscovered around 2004.  The video freezes during their cover of Sunshine of Your Love, but fortunately, the audio continues.  Greatness:

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/16/2022 at 8:46 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Cool video of Steely Dan live in 1972.  David Palmer on lead vocals, punched up by Donald Fagen on the chorus.  Denny Dias shows exactly why he is the most criminally underrated guitarist in rock history.  Skunk Baxter on congas?  LMAO.  Perfect.

Dias is a beast.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 3:51 PM, Underdog said:

Ms Monae is straight fire with looks and talent.  

On 5/11/2022 at 2:47 PM, HiggyBaby said:

As magical a pop song the original is, the stripped down acoustic version may be even better

so i have a bit of a seinfeld-schindler's list episode issue with janelle.  throughout the entire movie "hidden figures," a fairly important commentary on women and african americans' extraordinarily under appreciated roles in the early days of the space program, all i could do was think about how awesome it would be to have a threesome with janelle and her girlfriend tessa thompson.  it was a real problem.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Always dug this song, but never heard/saw this live version until I stumbled upon it last week.  Haunting lyrics and beautiful, heart-felt delivery.  Man, something about that accordion/violin combo...

Edited by Cajun
"Talk about the girls we're seein' on the sly/Tell our souls we're still the young lions..." Ouch