Live performance videos

jimmyjazz

On 8/24/2018 at 7:58 PM, Lurch said:

I know we don’t have a lot (any?) of other Alter Bridge fans here, but they’re in my personal top 10

Finally got a chance to listen . . . not my cup of tea but it definitely meets the criteria for the thread.  He nailed that note in true 70's metal screamer style.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
16 hours ago, Cajun said:

AIC + Gretchen Wilson "Barracuda" . . .

Yeah, that's the very definition of a pro singer and a pro band knocking a cover out of the park.  Plus, we get the Seattle connection with AIC. 

I can't think of many singers who have both the balls and the soprano chops to pull that off -- maybe Joss Stone, and probably not her.  I don't think she has the range.  A technically "better" singer like Kelly Clarkson would be lost, and other equal talents like Christina Aguilera would just make it about them.  It's such an extremely rare combination that Ann Wilson and Gretchen Wilson possess.  Grace, guts, and talent off the charts.

8 hours ago, Cajun said:

^That is the definition of owning the moment.

That video makes me sad.  What an absolutely mind-blowing level of talent.  Most likely the greatest single talent of the rock era, if it isn't Hendrix.  Debating the point would be the analog of arguing who was better, Jim Brown or Jerry Rice?

I know the Cloak Room is that way (--->) so I'll keep it civil, but fuck AIDS.

• Like 3

Eric Clapton and Carlos Santana doing Eyesight to the Blind  and sequing into Why Does Love Have to Be So Sad.

This is why Clapton gets shit on so often.  He's capable of getting to this level any time he wants and he hardly ever wants to.  This is absolute molten lava on fire though.

11 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Austin before the noise ordinance when City Hall was a husk of a warehouse. I know sound men hate the "Let's crank it up, doods!" guitarist, but for whatever reason, Liberty Lunch had some just blazingly loud shows that sounded clear as a bell. 

Yeah, the sound was usually pretty good there.  It was phenomenal on stage.

I saw Sonic Youth there somewhere around "Goo" or "Dirty", and they brought quite a bit of their own sound gear along with some gal to run the main board.  The sound was stunning.  The low end was staggering, but it didn't feel loud so much as it just FELT.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My personal favorite. After toiling for 15 years in near-anonymity, May 1995 brought a real hit for Pulp in Common People. It got lots of radio airplay in England but it came at a time when Pulp wasn't touring. At the last minute - almost literally - they replaced the Stone Roses as headlining act at the Glastonbury festival because of a broken collarbone suffered the day before.

As Jarvis Cocker relayed later, "The thing that changed things for Pulp was that ‘Common People’ was a big hit – that had happened in May, and we played Glastonbury in June. So, I think it was the first show we’d done since we had become popular… and it was quite a moment because everybody sang along, and you realized that you’d crossed over into a different kind of world."

You can see the moment when they defined the '90s and Britpop. You can see the terror in their eyes as the lights illuminate the huge crowd, by far the largest they'd ever played for, and the raucous reaction they hadn't expected. The tempo gets faster and threatens to careen out of control but it's reined in masterfully just before the final explosion of joy. It's an incredible performance, a remarkable moment in time captured on video. Enjoy. 

• Like 1