Curb Your Enthusiasm: Best scenes, scenarios

Gil Bang

Pretty solid episode but it had some parts that were over the top petty topics even for this show lol. The pirate booty was kinda funny bc they made it sound funny, but I didn't get the context of it...is that a jew thing to not litter? 

Klansman plot cracked me up.  When he took Woody to the farm I was rolling.  "Woke Farm" "Rebecca" "I usually just call him a racist cocksucker" 

The vision testing we can all relate to...1 or 2? ok how about 3 or 4? lol

Curb is funniest when Larry inadvertently says or does what we all want to do but can't bc of basic human social rules and decorum...the dinner party toast reaction, "one or two", black people should be able to eat watermelon free from judgement, etc.

for me it's least funny when he's just intentionally being confrontational or an asshole.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, mchookem said:

Curb is funniest when Larry inadvertently says or does what we all want to do but can't bc of basic human social rules and decorum...the dinner party toast reaction, "one or two", black people should be able to eat watermelon free from judgement, etc.

for me it's least funny when he's just intentionally being confrontational or an asshole.

Larry as our collective Id.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

The entire Pirate's Booty thing was completely lost on me ... 

You’ve never seen someone drop something on the floor and thought they were an asshole for not picking it up? As Larry said, it’s the entitlement. Kinda like assholes who are too good to pick up their dog’s shit.

29 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

You’ve never seen someone drop something on the floor and thought they were an asshole for not picking it up? As Larry said, it’s the entitlement. Kinda like assholes who are too good to pick up their dog’s shit.

I get it. I guess I was just distracted by the focus on it being Pirate's Booty. I mean we've bought it for the kid's, but did not realize it had reached zeitgeist. 

11 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

Episode was classic gold! All the petty bullshit adds up and comes back to shit on him lol

But fuck a restaurant for trying to keep my umbrella.  Lol wtf. 

“You make it sound redneck”

Agreed. Larry getting comeuppance for being Larry always delivers. That's his genius - making 10' of gold out of taking a hotel umbrella.

• Hook 'Em 1

Anyone feel like the open scene between him and and Richard Lewis wasn’t scripted at all? Just the two of them going at each other and giving each other shit?

Like Larry looked like he was really laughing like an SNL skit or something. Looked like he was actually having fun.

Most of the scenes involving people playing themselves (Richard Lewis, Jason Alexander, Wanda Sykes, Ted Danson, et. al.) are completely unscripted.  They're barely outlined.  Actors playing fictional characters on the show are frequently given more of an outline and some scripted lines, then typically allowed to roam free beyond that. 

The perfect examples are Bob Einstein and J.B. Smoove (Leon).  Both were intended for smaller roles over a few episodes but the scenes between them and Larry were beyond anything anyone envisioned so they stayed and were allowed to go completely free-form with Larry and others.  Obviously, there's the core-four---Cheryl, Larry, Susie, and Jeff.  For several seasons, I doubt they even have an outline or rehearse at all; they are all on a magic plane of comedy.  Just a handful of takes and they pick the one where nobody was laughing too hard or blocked incorrectly.  

And yeah, no idea how Jay R. went from eating horse meat to the mayor of Santa Monica.  He's just waiting to be #metoo'd.  It gets out on social media that decades ago, Jay illegally purchased horse meat from his butcher, a very pro-animal rights town like Santa Monica is gonna lose their shit and recall him.