Stupid Questions - $9.95 edition

Ricky's one-hitter

Hey, guy!

Do you have a dumb question to ask? 

Do you have a modicum of self-awareness? 

Welcome to the Stupid Question amnesty thread!

This is a judgement free zone. A place for lazy interneters to ask recruiting questions they could easily find the answer to, but are too lazy to Google.

A few rules:

• Dummies: There are no rules. Ask away!
  • Answerers: Approach questions in good faith and remember that this poster has the self awareness to ask in this thread instead of the main recruiting threads. If a shitty question is asked on another thread, reply to it here and shame the poster.

And remember, there are no stupid questions, only stupid posters. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Perfectly good example of a stupid question that could be asked in this thread which I saw earlier, to my shock and disgust:

"Wait, who is this Murphy QB Texas is recruiting?" Answer: Malik Murphy, from California, only a massive subject of conversation over the course of the last 10-15 or so pages of the 2022 Texas recruiting thread. The kind of thing that only someone who is completely blind or determined to NOT read the actual recruiting thread would fail to know. This would be a good spot for that kind of question. Other examples over the years I've seen are things like "Who is Bryan Carrington?" 

If we wanted to combine this with a "Stupid AF statements" type thread, that could work too, although it might work better as a "classics" thread where we can go back and enjoy such delightful statements over the years like "Devin Duvernay has terrible hands" and "Derrian Brown is basically Jamaal Charles."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Perfectly good example of a stupid question that could be asked in this thread which I saw earlier, to my shock and disgust:

"Wait, who is this Murphy QB Texas is recruiting?" Answer: Malik Murphy, from California, only a massive subject of conversation over the course of the last 10-15 or so pages of the 2022 Texas recruiting thread. The kind of thing that only someone who is completely blind or determined to NOT read the actual recruiting thread would fail to know. This would be a good spot for that kind of question. Other examples over the years I've seen are things like "Who is Bryan Carrington?" 

If we wanted to combine this with a "Stupid AF statements" type thread, that could work too, although it might work better as a "classics" thread where we can go back and enjoy such delightful statements over the years like "Devin Duvernay has terrible hands" and "Derrian Brown is basically Jamaal Charles."

Another example of a question that could be asked in this thread is "how do you spell the first name of that Murphy QB Texas is recruiting" Answer: Maalik

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

27 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Is there some type of "Speed" function on SydneyCarton's computer that requires he post over 900 characters each time or his computer explodes?

4 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

Is there some type of "Speed" function on SydneyCarton's computer that requires he post over 900 characters each time or his computer explodes?

Welcome home, Buck!

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Blueshirting wasn't used until recently, and it still isn't common, but it's essentially another loophole to get around oversigning.

The blueshirt rule allows schools to put "unrecruited" athletes on scholarship once they arrive on campus, but count them against the next year's scholarship total, as long as they don't play. Here's what it means to be "recruited," according to the NCAA:

Was provided an official visit to the campus;
Had arranged, in-person, off-campus contact with a coach; or
Was sent an NLI or other written scholarship offer.

Coaches can contact players and have them on campus for unofficial visits — when the recruits pay their ways — without technically recruiting them. Essentially, as long as a recruit doesn't take an official visit or host one of that school's coaches, he wasn't "recruited" by that school.

Tennessee has popularized the practice, which was first developed by New Mexico State.

2 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

Is TFLoss the name of a user on 247 or something? I never know who/what that's referencing. 

He's a SpursTalk user who's been posting tidbits from Horns247 and other paysites for pretty much a full decade now. https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=16684

Usually he would post a quote there, and it'd make its way over to the shag with the prefix "From TFloss:"

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

He's a SpursTalk user who's been posting tidbits from Horns247 and other paysites for pretty much a full decade now. https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=16684

Usually he would post a quote there, and it'd make its way over to the shag with the prefix "From TFloss:"

That makes sense. Thanks! 

12 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Since I've never wandered over there, decided to give it a glance.  According to the college football board, he has left that site to go to work for one of the $9.95s.  

What is IMG? I read here that coaches hate when a player enrolls in IMG? Is it a private school? Is it expensive? Who do they play against?

Elite private school in Florida, part of a few bag man systems. They play other national power private schools throughout the country. It’s free if you play football good.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Elite private school in Florida, part of a few bag man systems. They play other national power private schools throughout the country. It’s free if you play football good.

Elite in the athletic sense, to be clear (great at getting kids qualified, and college-ready, though). Literally run by a talent agency: https://img.com/

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Elite in the athletic sense, to be clear (great at getting kids qualified, and college-ready, though). Literally run by a talent agency: https://img.com/

Andre Agassi gave a great retelling of his experience at IMG in his autobiography. The coaches were huge assholes, the classes were a joke, and the place was basically an emotionally tortuous bootcamp smack in the middle of nowhere. He hated it there.

8 hours ago, cafe society said:

Since I've never wandered over there, decided to give it a glance.  According to the college football board, he has left that site to go to work for one of the $9.95s.  

8 hours ago, texifornia said:

HornSports: https://twitter.com/TFloss32

Which, technically speaking, isn't a $9.95 site, it's completely free. Unless that's changed over the last year or two. It's also where Mike Roach got his start.

(I actually thought he was pretty good when he was at HS, but then he went to 247 and had to play the paywall/9.95 insider game).

7 hours ago, satyanash said:

Andre Agassi gave a great retelling of his experience at IMG in his autobiography. The coaches were huge assholes, the classes were a joke, and the place was basically an emotionally tortuous bootcamp smack in the middle of nowhere. He hated it there.

That's high-level tennis for you.

Fun sport casually but the elite players these days are funneled through the system so young they end up kind of emotionally stunted. I'd imagine for a guy with an actual personality like Agassi it was no fun at all.

Edited by texifornia

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

That's high-level tennis for you.

Fun sport casually but the elite players these days are funneled through the system so young they end up kind of emotionally stunted. I'd imagine for a guy with an actual personality like Agassi it was no fun at all.

I dated a girl that pushed through the Chris Evert Tennis Academy, also in Florida, and yes this is perfectly accurate

12 hours ago, satyanash said:

4 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Which, technically speaking, isn't a $9.95 site, it's completely free. Unless that's changed over the last year or two. It's also where Mike Roach got his start.

(I actually thought he was pretty good when he was at HS, but then he went to 247 and had to play the paywall/9.95 insider game).

Let’s be clear - “TFloss” doesn’t know a fucking thing. He regurgitates shit from sites that others do same for over here. Anyone quoting him as a resource is a fucking idiot. It’s like quoting “BurntOrangeNation”, BON, or its idiotic writers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Let’s be clear - “TFloss” doesn’t know a fucking thing. He regurgitates shit from sites that others do same for over here. Anyone quoting him as a resource is a fucking idiot. It’s like quoting “BurntOrangeNation”, BON, or its idiotic writers. 

Yeah even when he's just posting stuff from pay sites he still gets it wrong fairly wrong

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

My sources tell me that CTJ likes to go toTigerDroppings and post Futureman quotes.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, BurntOrangeCrush said:

Last - what does BDE mean.

If you have to ask, you don't have it

8 minutes ago, BurntOrangeCrush said:

I have a couple more - when I see quotes from various $9.95ers in here, which one has the most credibility? I ignore ketch and anything related to him, but who is historically known to have the most credibility? Burton? 

Bullshit answer, but it depends on the staff and chosen sources. The only 9.95ers with real expertise (imo) are Bobby Burton (the business of recruiting) and Gerry Hamilton (evals). 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

On a scale of 1-10, what would you rate the following programs in how they play the recruiting game today?  Rating of 1 is "innocent as the virgin Mary" and 10 is "dirty as fuck, $180k checks flying around, zero fucks given".

Texas

OU

Clemson

OSU

Michigan

USC

Bama

LSU

UGA

ATM

20 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

On a scale of 1-10, what would you rate the following programs in how they play the recruiting game today?  Rating of 1 is "innocent as the virgin Mary" and 10 is "dirty as fuck, $180k checks flying around, zero fucks given".

Texas

OU

Clemson

OSU

Michigan

USC

Bama

LSU

UGA

ATM

1, x, x, x, x, x, x, x, x, x

Edited by Hornlover