Shit you’re making for Super Bowl Sunday?

Armybrat

Mrs. Brat is making a batch of cream cheese dip from my mother’s 60 year old recipe. This very rich & dense dip is a huge family favorite, and two sons have requested some of it for the weekend (it is better after mellowing in the fridge for a couple of days).
The chive cream cheese and roka cheese in jars are no longer made, so she has substituted some ingredients.

She will also make the bacon wrapped Lil’ Smokies baked with brown sugar. Then a customized pork & beans side.

I’ll be grilling burgers & slovacek sausage.

678A5A1A-EB5A-4350-8314-63D5BECAB3FE.jpeg

E7BDB577-2717-4488-9350-D8363E0D4CFE.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Smoking some wings and doing bacon wrapped japs. It may just be me and the wife and maybe a couple friends, but I don’t feel the need to go crazy this year. I am going to try to do a recreation of plucker’s bakers gold though so that should hopefully be better than just regular smoked wings. 

8 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Doing wings and queso dip. Is there a oven baked wings recipe anywhere on Surly, or one that's a favorite? I don't have a smoker, and don't want to deep fry them. I've got one I use, but would be like to try something new. 

Air fryer is easily the best option, even with a traditional oil fryer or smoker.  Stupid easy and they come out fantastic.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Air fryer is easily the best option, even with a traditional oil fryer or smoker.  Stupid easy and they come out fantastic.  

I don't have one of those either. I've thought about getting one, but don't "fry" enough things to justify buying one. 

1 minute ago, Mo Horn said:

I don't have one of those either. I've thought about getting one, but don't "fry" enough things to justify buying one. 

They are great for everything.  Protein options are obvious, but veggies in them are really good and cook fast.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Regarding wings, I saw a technique shootout somewhere on the interwebs yesterday, and the 2nd highest rated technique was:

-- preheat oven to 400 F

-- dry wings with paper towels

-- season with kosher salt

-- place baking rack in sheet pan

-- put wings skin side up on rack, cook for 1 hour, no turning, no touching

That's it.  I tried it yesterday -- very legit.  Not as good as fried, but about as good as I can imagine for baked.

The secret to oven baked wings is baking powder.

If you can dry brine overnight that's best to really get the crispy flaky skin, but if you are doing this day of it's still worth adding.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/02/the-best-buffalo-wings-oven-fried-wings-recipe.html

I'll be doing these but with leg drums not wings. More meat and costs less.

Edited by cam4mav
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The secret to oven baked wings is baking powder.
If you can dry brine overnight that's best to really get the crispy flaky skin, but if you are doing this day of it's still worth adding.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/02/the-best-buffalo-wings-oven-fried-wings-recipe.html

I'll be doing these but with leg drums not wings. More meat and costs less.

Rice flour works well too. That’s what the Korean fried chicken places generally use.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/5/2021 at 12:41 PM, Mo Horn said:

I do Keto 99% of the time, so might need to reconsider. 

On 2/5/2021 at 12:48 PM, BabaYaga said:

As do I (or some derivative of it) the vast majority of the time.  Mainly protein and veggies - for which the air fryer is amazing at and cooks fast.  

Keto here as well, the Air fryer is amazing for that diet. Wife "breads" chicken tenderloins in crushed up pork rinds and parmasan cheese, then air frys it.  Best chicken nuggets in the entire world, crispy and juicy.  She's working on perfecting her keto chicken fried steak too.

Anyway, a brisket and 3 racks of baby backs here, apparently I was nominated to feed a couple of couples.

Made wings in the air fryer for the first time.  Actually turned out pretty damned good -- crispy, held up to the sauce well.

Made the HEB pre-packaged brisket queso (saw it, thought I oughta try it).  Meh.  It was okay, but just had too much going on there.  I prefer my queso to be a bit thinner and simpler (maybe toss some chorizo in, and/or a scoop of quac to dress it up).

And....it was 2-1 cheesesteak at Delaware on Sundays, so the boy and I got those as well.  Ate half during the game, the other half is lunch today.