2021 Australian Open

shadow_operative2.0

Starts tomorrow (Sunday) at 6:00p, good luck with the American TV ratings for the first 4 hours or so. 

Men's draw pdf

Someone else will have to break this down, all I know is that Novak guy will probably win again. 

Women's draw pdf

As previously stated, the bottom half is fucking silly. We will see some crazy results early. 

55 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

There’s a group of drunken crazed Aussie men cheering on Dani. Wouldn’t surprise me if they are former Genie Army members who’ve converted 

Collins is on my list of Americans that I absolutely won't pull for.

Isner & Sandgren are two others.

Usually the same for Serena, but she looks like she's dropped about 15+ lbs of fat and is serious about this tournament. (And her outfit was translucent when it got wet.)

On the: I don't pull against her, but I'm surprised by what she's doing front-

Venus looked youthful and giddy yesterday in her win and post-match interview.

Sloane Stephens actually somehow one a set... though I could see her going out in 3. She hasn't won much in the last 12 months.

45 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

...Sloane Stephens actually somehow one a set... though I could see her going out in 3. She hasn't won much in the last 12 months.

Yep. And ESPN2 acted like the match wasn't even happening. Never cut away to it. Never mentioned it.

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 3.08.59 AM.png

Today/tonight has some of the more intriguing 2R matchups at a GS I’ve seen

Djokovic vs Tiafoe
Thiem vs Koepfer
Opelka vs Fritz
Shapo vs Tomic - only interesting because Tomic is a nutcase and his forehand is hilarious

Andreescu vs Hsieh weird stuff
Sabalenka vs Kasatkina
Swiatek vs Giorgi

Unfortunately they will only show the Williams matches

I like Stan, even though he knocked out my Delpo in the US Open quarters in 2016 when I was at the match. 

Pulling for Tiafoe. He has a forehand topspin whip movement that he just blew to get a mini-break in the 3rd set tiebreaker, but is pretty effective and is unlike any other forehand I’ve seen on tour. It allows him a split-second longer to react which allows him to see which way his opponent is moving. 

Djokovic is being an irritable jackass in a slight way. Just a reminder of why his only friends on tour are from the former Yugoslavia. 

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Camila may get beat pretty quickly here against Iga. 

Iga is fo’ reelz!

Iga appears to be below Naomi and low-fat Serena, but really close to Ash Barty.

Well above Kenin, Svitolina, and all of the Eastern European girls. Iga could very well be the 4th best female player in tennis right now. 

41 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Pliskova takes the first set over Collins. Ugly tennis from both sides so far. Hopefully the 2nd set improves.

5 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Pliskova wins 6 games straight to finish off Collins. 

Yes and YES!

Hate Collins.

Tonight I will be watching Kenin vs Kanepi (the likely main match on ESPN2) while tracking Podoroska (ARG surprise French Open semifinalst) vs Vekić. Ash Barty is also scheduled that that time as is the lovely Putintseva and her glorious dumper.

In Men's 9pm starts: Norwegian Casper Ruud (who is fun to watch) is playing American Tommy Paul, who I couldn't give a flip about, but is one of the 3 American guys (along with Fritz & Opelka) who won Junior Grand Slams in 2015. Can't recall every watching him play, I just can hear Paul Annacone's voice when I read the guy's name.

Svitolina vs Gauff is scheduled for 3am CST.

Svitolina gives strong Instagram. She is a smart cookie. I would say that even though she gets ranked inside the Top 8 due to consistency (currently #5 rank & seed), she's outside the Top 15 on ability.

https://www.instagram.com/elisvitolina/

20 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Paul can be fun to watch. He upset Dmitrov in last years AO. He has always reminded me of a player who was meant to take up baseball but fell into tennis.

1) Apparently whatever I was reading was giving EASTERN Standard Time start times, because Putintseva's match & Ash Barty's match have already started. Kenin's & Podoroska's matches have been moved to 8:30pm.

2) When Paul, Opelka, & Friz all won Junior Slams the same year, I'm sure that the USTA was creaming in their jeans, but it's 6 years on and they haven't made much of a dent in the men's game.

3) Glad to see that Fritz got a divorce for the girl he knocked up when he was 18 and then married 3 months into her pregnancy. His current girlfriend is pretty hot. He a wealthy good looking guy from SoCal who in a seeded player in a grand slam, he should be tapping lovely ladies.

HARD LOCKDOWN SIDE NOTE:

I listen to The Tennis Podcast during Slams and they had a stat from Day 1's matches.

Records of those who were in the 2 Week Hard Lockdown on Day 1:

MEN: 2* Ws & 12 Ls

*The two winners played against another person who endured the 14 day hard lockdown as well.

WOMEN: 5** Ws & 5 Ls

**They didn't know how many, if any, wins came against fellow hard lockdown opponents.

Edited by Napoleon