2021 Australian Open

shadow_operative2.0

Berrettini got an on-court massage and managed to hold on and win the 3rd straight tie-breaker at 5. 
7-6, 7-6, 7-6

Barty came back from a break in the 2nd to be up:

6-2, 5-4

Shelby up a break in the 2nd set:

6-4, 6-3 (breaking again to win the match)

Edited by Napoleon

Just look how crazy unbalanced the two sides look on paper. 

Round of 16 - Top Half

[1] Barty vs. Rogers
[18] Mertens vs. [25] Muchova

[28] Vekic vs. [22] Brady
Pegula vs. [5] Svitolina

Round of 16 - Bottom Half

Hsieh vs. [19] Vondrousova
[14] Muguruza vs. [3] Osaka

[7] Sabalenka vs. [10] Serena
[15] Swiatek vs. [2] Halep

3 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Just look how crazy unbalanced the two sides look on paper. 

Round of 16 - Top Half

[1] Barty vs. Rogers
[18] Mertens vs. [25] Muchova

[28] Vekic vs. [22] Brady
Pegula vs. [5] Svitolina

Round of 16 - Bottom Half

Hsieh vs. [19] Vondrousova
[14] Muguruza vs. [3] Osaka

[7] Sabalenka vs. [10] Serena
[15] Swiatek vs. [2] Halep

I have no idea why tennis doesn’t set up brackets that would have seeded players matching up in the 3rd round in the traditional:

1 v 32

2 v 31

3 v 30...

And then the 4th round would work out to what a single bracket in the NCAA Basketball tournament would look like:

1 v 16

2 v 15

3 v 14...

I don’t know how they do it, but you frequently get a 1 v 3 in the semis... which should be impossible. 

Whatever they do, they seem to not know how to make brackets for shit. 

1 & 2 are always on opposite sides, then the rest are pretty much literally ‘drawn’ out of a hat. It’s set up to where the top 16 can all make the round of 16, top 8 can make QFs, but it’s not numerically ordered like March Madness. 

I actually prefer the randomness & don’t really care about the #s next to a player’s name, this one is just crazy because of all the Slam titles in the bottom. 

3 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Naomi/Garbine at 6 our time, Serena/Sabalenka at 2a. 

Pulling for Osaka & Sabalenka.

Most points have been decided by Osaka. Either winners or errors, but she has been the point decider. 

And Osaka is just broken for the second time in the first set to allow Mugurutha to serve for the set. 

Mugu just playing conservatively and letting Naomi make the mistakes. 

Watching Kenin vs Olivia Gadwcki in the consolation tournament on The Tennis Channel. 

The Australian wildcard without any ranking points at all, I believe that they said, has taken Kenin to a third set. 

I like Kenin, but I would really like to see more of Miss Gadecki. 🥰

Well it turns out that Olivia Gadecki has gotten to #988 in the world, though I’m Amit sure whether she is there now, and she just beat #4 in the world, Sofia Kenin...

1-6, 7-6, 6-4

Olivia just looked like the better player. At least from the 2nd set tie-breaker on. 

Olivia... nice!

15 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Well it turns out that Olivia Gadecki has gotten to #988 in the world, though I’m Amit sure whether she is there now, and she just beat #4 in the world, Sofia Kenin...

1-6, 7-6, 6-4

Olivia just looked like the better player. At least from the 2nd set tie-breaker on. 

Olivia... nice!

Kenin looks to be becoming the next Sloane Stephens. Win your maiden slam and then spend the next several years as a journeywoman losing in the 1st or 2nd round of every tournament. She seems lost

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

You're right it was very kneejerk, but no one in the top 100 should be losing to some chick not even in the top 1000, let alone a top 5 player (but Kenin will drop a lot after next week). Hell, a good portion of D1 college players are ranked in the top 1000. I hope she puts the work in physically and mentally to get back to a top level. 

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Kenin looks to be becoming the next Sloane Stephens. Win your maiden slam and then spend the next several years as a journeywoman losing in the 1st or 2nd round of every tournament. She seems lost

Kenin won a shit tournament tournament in Europe in late February last year and made it to the French Open Final (that Barty, Williams, Andreescu, and Osaka did not enter), but I think that she is likely to fall back to the 20s and spend most of the next decade in that range. She’s just not exceptional and there are too many women that have an exceptional component to their games. 

Sophia should get a sports psychologist in her team ASAP.

34 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Meanwhile, the men’s #3 gets fucking demolished 4, 4, 0. Impressive, Dominic. 

Grigor was #3 in the world just 4 years ago and something was wrong with Thiem. Even Grigor asked Dominic if he was okay after the match. 

If Rafa manages to win this AND the French in May, he will be one Major behind Serena... at her current number. 

1 minute ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

#3 in the world 4 years ago?! Ha, a lot of fucking shit was different 4 years ago. 

Hell, Sloane was #3 three years ago. 

I think that Grigor has dealt with injuries. Whatever it was, it wasn’t indifference like Sloane. She just doesn’t give a fuck about tennis. 

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Fine, but any rank on either side 4 years ago means shit. 4 years ago you probably couldn’t spell tennis. It happens. 

The 4 years ago was to say that in the time of the Big 3 + Murray, Grigor made it into a Top 3 ranking. The man has skills. 

And 4 years ago I could spell Tennis in English AND Español, Tenis. 

🥸 I’m fucking AMAZING!

(...and 4 years ago it had only been 5 months since I had been on TV at the US Open pulling for Delpo in the quarters vs Wawrinka. Though no spelling test was administered that night.)