2021 Australian Open

shadow_operative2.0

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

America prevails! 

Poor Elina, same song, 17th verse in Slams. 

Svitolina was camped about 3 to 5 feet behind the baseline and Pegula would be standing on the baseline, at least in the last 3 games. (I just turned on the TV.)

When you don’t have position on the court (Svitolina), it is like you are hitting uphill. Svitolina is just not good enough. Steady, but her ceiling is too low to win a major. 

19 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Pegula wrote on the monitor “see you in the next round Jen B” even though Jen Brady hasn’t played yet. Ballsy to predict your next opponent!

Friend supporting a good friend. 

Less of a prediction, more like a positive attitude sent out to the universe. 

Really cool thing to do. 👍

Just now, shadow_operative2.0 said:

5-0, someone may want to mention to Donna that the match has started. 

I volunteer to comfort after she loses. 

Actually, it seemed like Donna was slightly favoring her knee as she would walk back to wait to return Jen’s serve in the 3rd & 5th game. I might just be seeing that knee support bandaging and imagine the walk, but she’s not doing well. 

Jen Brady & Mackenzie McDonald were born 4 days apart and then were at UCLA at the same time for 2 years. Not sure how much interaction the men’s & women’s tennis teams interacted, but they were using the same courts on the SW side of campus just above the UCLA MEDICAL CENTER hospital. (Having lived in LA and taken a few different UCLA extension courses and used that hospital, I’m fairly familiar with the campus.)

PS- There is a slim chance that Pegula is the closest that Jen Brady has to a Valentine on this day of hearts. 

Naomi was all business. The panelists on either ESPN2 or The Tennis Channel (actually, Martina Navratilova I believe) had talked up how well Hseih plays against big hitters, but Naomi was having none of it. She played like she had dinner reservations that she didn't want to cancel.

After getting broken in his second service game, Dimitrov is running rough shod over Aslan. Apparently the Ruskie's first serve is letting him down, according to The Aussie Open's website.

https://ausopen.com/match/2021-grigor-dimitrov-vs-aslan-karatsev-ms502#!stats

First Set Stats...

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 10.50.20 PM.png

Pegula is all bidniz. 

Jen Brady has to calm her nerves and just play her game, because she played that 3rd game (her serve) and has started this 4th game (Pegula’s serve) hitting unforced errors. 

Pegula doesn’t seem like she is going to give it away. Brady is going to have to take it. 

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

In normal years that would have been the case, but the lead up slam to the AO was the French Open this time. 

And Brady was playing well, but went up against a Great Dane who was swinging like a guy and was crushing forehands like no woman I have ever seen, ever. That includes Graf, Osaka, S. Williams, Seles, Sharapova... no one. It was insane. 

Then that girl injured herself and was out in the 2nd round, but Brady played very well, she just ran into a one-day buzzsaw. 

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

I watched that tie breaker in the third and was shocked when I saw Tsitsipas won the 4th set; Nadal struggled in the tiebreaker, missing 2 overheads then losing on a missed backhand wide. 

That’s not very Nadal. 

After years of pulling against him, because I preferred Federer, I was pulling for him, because I have finally given up any pretense that Djokovic has any redeeming qualities as a human being. 

Also, I thought that I would prefer that Nadal catch Margaret Court before Serena. 

Sorry to hear that he choked.