Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

I haven’t had a sloppy joe in years. I’ve never had Manwich. My mom always made them from scratch. But out of curiosity I looked for Manwich at the grocery store today. I thought maybe I’d buy a can. Lay’s potato chips were even on sale and I’m a proponent of putting potato chips on a sloppy joe under the bun. I walked up and down both canned food aisles twice and they don’t have it.

Impossible. It’s a staple like butter, milk and eggs
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Impossible. It’s a staple like butter, milk and eggs

Well, no. Butter, milk, and eggs are on the perimeter of the grocery store, like produce, meats, and seafood. (You should do most of your shopping on the perimeter.) The processed foods take up the aisle space in the middle. But I get your meaning.

They also don’t have Hormel chili hot with no beans. But it was Giant Eagle and they generally don’t carry anything remotely hot. And who really cares anyway, right? I’ll make an impulse purchase at Kroger sometime. I did have a $1 can of Chef Boyardee spaghetti and meatballs recently on a lark and that was worth every penny. Today I picked up a can of Hormel Mary Kitchen corned beef hash so I didn’t go away empty handed. That will give me some tasty regret sometime soon. That always starts with me thinking I’ll heat it up in a pan and just eat a little, then it turns into me adding a few eggs and cooking them sunny side up then devouring the whole thing. 

The baggage drop-off line at Vancouver airport was insanely long this morning. It wrapped around 3 times and I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't at least 300 deep.

My BIL and his family had luggage to check. When he saw the line, he said screw it and walked over to the FedEx counter to have his luggage shipped to his house.

I can't imagine how much it would have cost, but apparently this is not the first time they've done this either. Must be nice to be a 1%er.

14 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I haven’t had a sloppy joe in years. I’ve never had Manwich. My mom always made them from scratch. But out of curiosity I looked for Manwich at the grocery store today. I thought maybe I’d buy a can. Lay’s potato chips were even on sale and I’m a proponent of putting potato chips on a sloppy joe under the bun. I walked up and down both canned food aisles twice and they don’t have it.

I loved them as a kid. Then I married a woman that thought we should eat them 3 times a week. We divorced in 93, I haven’t had the desire to eat one since. 

4 hours ago, Superhero said:

The baggage drop-off line at Vancouver airport was insanely long this morning. It wrapped around 3 times and I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't at least 300 deep.

My BIL and his family had luggage to check. When he saw the line, he said screw it and walked over to the FedEx counter to have his luggage shipped to his house.

I can't imagine how much it would have cost, but apparently this is not the first time they've done this either. Must be nice to be a 1%er.

Skycap?

11 hours ago, Superhero said:

Wait... FedEx gets the luggage from baggage claim or what? That is so awesome. 

• Haha 1

The wife maintains a fleet of 5-20 barn cats depending on the weather and the fertility of what is hanging around. One of her favorites was laying dead under the heat lamp (pampered pussies) yesterday. It was raining so I told her that I would bury it later. She put it in a trash bag and laid it behind the barn around sundown. She went out this morning to feed her herd and noticed that the bag was still there but it was empty. Nobody has to dig a fucking hole today.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

The wife maintains a fleet of 5-20 barn cats depending on the weather and the fertility of what is hanging around. One of her favorites was laying dead under the heat lamp (pampered pussies) yesterday. It was raining so I told her that I would bury it later. She put it in a trash bag and laid it behind the barn around sundown. She went out this morning to feed her herd and noticed that the bag was still there but it was empty. Nobody has to dig a fucking hole today.

Better sleep with one eye open

a929ac5daa4567e9c8da60ba1d450505935075cb

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 11:44 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

1. Anyone that orders from DoorDash, UberEats, etc. should never be allowed to say a word about inflation.

2. Who is ordering from these things? The prices seem outrageous and most food has a very limited shelf life. Someone ordering fast food? What? Who wants room temperature soggy fries?

I’m really, really glad that Uber Eats is available. 
I just returned from a work trip to Europe. A two week trip turned into 3 when I tested positive for COVID the day before my return flight. Netherlands rules then required that I isolate in my hotel room for 5 days (turned into 6 because I actually got kinda sick). 
Without Uber Eats I would have been limited to hotel room service. With Uber Eats I had the pick of anything in the city. Thank God for Uber Eats. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/24/2022 at 2:22 PM, Shoxthemonkey said:

hqdefault.jpg

• Haha 1

I'm not ashamed to admit that I have been spoiled by Amazon, Instacart, Shipt and Walmart+. Waterhose started leaking this morning. Went online found a new one, got some butcher paper, weedeater string, tide pods, and a few other things. Had a morning drink, took a power nap and the shit was waiting for me at the door.

Can't fuss at the wife anymore for not going shopping. Only thing we really need to buy in person is meat.

Damn it feels good to be an American.

'Merica, Fuck yeah!

• Hook 'Em 1

So I’m at a hotel in New Orleans for a work conference. I bought a six pack of local beers when I arrived on Thursday to sip on between events while watching NCAA games. I had one at 6:00 pm tonight before our dinner event and there were two left. I got back to my room about an hour ago and started packing and doing other stuff. I decided I’d have another beer before hitting the hay and found the mini fridge is different and my beers are gone. I checked the closet and bathroom and my stuff is here, definitely my room. I have the do not disturb sign on my door as I always do when I stay in a hotel. Did they really change the fridge during this 4 hour window on a Saturday night despite the fact that I had the do not disturb sign on the door and am scheduled to check out tomorrow morning? They couldn’t schedule it for tomorrow after I check out and before the next guest? They didn’t hear the beers rattling around inside the other fridge and leave them for me in the new fridge? I mean if they had taken them from the old fridge and put them in the new one I might not be so weirded out, but still, the timing is so fucking odd to me. Is there is some glitch in the matrix? I promise I’m not drunk. Does anyone else thing that is really fucking strange? I’m going to bed and am fine without the beer, but seriously, what the fuck is going on here?

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

On 3/26/2022 at 11:42 PM, 'stache said:

So I’m at a hotel in New Orleans for a work conference. I bought a six pack of local beers when I arrived on Thursday to sip on between events while watching NCAA games. I had one at 6:00 pm tonight before our dinner event and there were two left. I got back to my room about an hour ago and started packing and doing other stuff. I decided I’d have another beer before hitting the hay and found the mini fridge is different and my beers are gone. I checked the closet and bathroom and my stuff is here, definitely my room. I have the do not disturb sign on my door as I always do when I stay in a hotel. Did they really change the fridge during this 4 hour window on a Saturday night despite the fact that I had the do not disturb sign on the door and am scheduled to check out tomorrow morning? They couldn’t schedule it for tomorrow after I check out and before the next guest? They didn’t hear the beers rattling around inside the other fridge and leave them for me in the new fridge? I mean if they had taken them from the old fridge and put them in the new one I might not be so weirded out, but still, the timing is so fucking odd to me. Is there is some glitch in the matrix? I promise I’m not drunk. Does anyone else thing that is really fucking strange? I’m going to bed and am fine without the beer, but seriously, what the fuck is going on here?

That's annoying. Especially because it's just 2 beers. Like I'm sure you could have brought it up at the front desk and they would have reimbursed you or something, but like you said, what's the point?

1 hour ago, Nolacycling said:

When did the laws change? High/freeway ramps have become a game of " go ahead and hit me" 3rd world driving.

This is rage-inducing. 99% of drivers entering interstates these days give no fs. The social convention seems to have completely shifted to the interstate driver’s duty to yield. It’s a massive problem for the big rigs if they don’t have room to get over. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, nnm said:

This is rage-inducing. 99% of drivers entering interstates these days give no fs. The social convention seems to have completely shifted to the interstate driver’s duty to yield. It’s a massive problem for the big rigs if they don’t have room to get over. 

99.9% also merge at the incorrect (slower) speed

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, nnm said:

Give me someone aggressively getting up to speed and merging any day versus the assholes trying to merge into traffic at 40 fucking mph trying to get themselves and anybody who has to slow down behind them killed.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

On 3/27/2022 at 12:42 AM, 'stache said:

I’ll keep this short but I should post a much longer story in the Grateful Dead thread because I barely knew any of my compatriots. We had an awesome time. In 1993 I went to see the Dead at Nassau Coliseum on Long Island. A guy I’d never met before but who was the older brother of a friend of mine came along. He brought one of those huge McDonald’s coolers, the kind you see football players using to give their coaches a Gatorade bath, filled with ice and beer. We were staying at the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza in Manhattan. Holiday Inn didn’t take kindly to us bringing in our own beer. We were detained by security and taken to a sub- sub- sub-basement, past an industrial sized laundry facility, where they proceeded to confiscate the beer. Fortunately, after the drive from Columbus to NYC, a lot of that ice had melted. They let us keep the cooler and there were enough cans of beer that sank to the bottom of the cooler under the floating ice to serve the five of us for the weekend.

That was really weird. It’s a good thing they didn’t search our luggage because they probably would’ve had a problem with the marijuana and LSD in my suitcase. But boy they sure didn’t want Bram to bring in a cooler full of beer. 

John Cleese trolled me bigtime. He was weighing in on the slap and said it didn't hold a candle to Bob Hope's grizzly suicide. WHAT!

He lived to 100 and passed from pneumonia.

Cleese sticks his foot in his mouth on occasion, but that's who he is. 

Edited by Nolacycling

2 hours ago, Nolacycling said:

John Cleese trolled me bigtime. He was weighing in on the slap and said it didn't hold a candle to Bob Hope's grizzly suicide. WHAT!

He lived to 100 and passed from pneumonia.

Cleese sticks his foot in his mouth on occasion, but that's who he is. 

Gonna need to hear what Foosters has to say about that.