Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

11 hours ago, ztejas said:

Wasn't/isn't zima full of sugar? Hard seltzers are just vodka, soda water and flavoring. 

Not Vodka or spirits as then it could not be sold in most grocery stores or other "beer/wine" only locations.  From quick search "Hard seltzer is legally classified as a flavored malt beverage (FMB), which is within the broader beer category".  

But it is today's version of Wine Coolers or Zima type products.

5 minutes ago, ABSR said:

Not Vodka or spirits as then it could not be sold in most grocery stores or other "beer/wine" only locations.  From quick search "Hard seltzer is legally classified as a flavored malt beverage (FMB), which is within the broader beer category".  

But it is today's version of Wine Coolers or Zima type products.

What grocery stores can sell is just based on alcohol content. It doesn't matter how you get there. 

And sure it's today's "version" but it's a different product and much more popular as a result. 

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

What grocery stores can sell is just based on alcohol content. It doesn't matter how you get there. 

And sure it's today's "version" but it's a different product and much more popular as a result. 

I'm not sure about Texas, but how you get there matters in Alabama.  Distilled spirits can only be sold in stores that have a license to sell liquor.  So a mixed drink in a can has to have malt liquor and not vodka or whiskey as ASBR stated to be sold in a store that doesn't sell liquor.

1 hour ago, retsevlys said:

I'm not sure about Texas, but how you get there matters in Alabama.  Distilled spirits can only be sold in stores that have a license to sell liquor.  So a mixed drink in a can has to have malt liquor and not vodka or whiskey as ASBR stated to be sold in a store that doesn't sell liquor.

I think you're right. I have been corrected. 

My kids don’t care if we’re staying in a resort hotel room or a shithole. As long as they have a bed to jump on, food nearby, and WiFi, they are set.

We’re wrapping up our Costa Rica trip. The first 4 nights were at 5-star resorts. The kids loved it. Tonight we’re at the Hampton Inn because it’s next to the airport and we leave early morning. We had dinner at Denny’s. The kids were jumping on the bed earlier, and now on their iPads. They are loving it…

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

They are often called chameleons, but true chameleons are a different species. The anoles in our garden are most often found with the green color but when they're upset, they are brown. Years ago, I did see one take on a blue tinge on the equipment at the playground while the children were running around. In Texas, the green anole are becoming endangered by an invasive species, the brown anole, from Florida (of course).
(when my children were small and when they asked questions, we would go look up stuff. I love science and nature and curious children).
We also have geckos and skinks in our yard. Skink is a fun word to say.

I started a thread about this either in the early days of this site or on Shaggy. When my son was young, we saw nothing but anoles. Then a few years ago we would only see the brown ones you mentioned. I’ve noticed this year that the anoles are back and I don’t see any of the brown ones anymore. Weird.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hate said:

When my son was young, we saw nothing but anoles. Then a few years ago we would only see the brown ones you mentioned. I’ve noticed this year that the anoles are back and I don’t see any of the brown ones anymore. Weird.

If everyone you see are anoles, maybe you're the anole.

Also, don't be so racist.  They come in all colors.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Superhero said:

My kids don’t care if we’re staying in a resort hotel room or a shithole. As long as they have a bed to jump on, food nearby, and WiFi, they are set.

We’re wrapping up our Costa Rica trip. The first 4 nights were at 5-star resorts. The kids loved it. Tonight we’re at the Hampton Inn because it’s next to the airport and we leave early morning. We had dinner at Denny’s. The kids were jumping on the bed earlier, and now on their iPads. They are loving it…

I would spend 6 months a year if I could in CR. Santa Teresa, on the southern tip of Puntarena peninsula, is almost heaven. 

8 hours ago, Superhero said:

When I was a kid we used to love it when our dad took us to stay in a Holiday Inn Holidome where they had an indoor pool and an arcade where we could play video games. Years later I visited one near Richfield Coliseum, where the Cleveland Cavaliers used to play before they built an arena downtown, before a Dead show and before they opened the parking lot. The place was filled with Deadheads. That was a scene, man. Nobody was swimming naked in the pool but practically every door overlooking the pool was open and it was one big party. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hate said:

I started a thread about this either in the early days of this site or on Shaggy. When my son was young, we saw nothing but anoles. Then a few years ago we would only see the brown ones you mentioned. I’ve noticed this year that the anoles are back and I don’t see any of the brown ones anymore. Weird.

I don't know that it is weird as much as there could've been a favorable change for the non-invasive species in your environment. I rarely saw tree frogs in our garden until about three years ago when I expanded the garden beds. Now I find them hanging around all the time. When I was harvesting swiss chard last week, there was one coiled up in the middle of a large leaf. I relocated it to a another plant. I don't use many pesticides other than the occasional Sevin dust if things get really out of whack and I plant things like kale and such among the flowers and then let it go to the critters. The anole love moths, and I grow morning glory vines and the moths hang out there.

Green Tree Frogs - Frogs & Toads - Amphibians

• Like 1

Hitchhikers who stand at the end of on-ramp on a freeway that has no reasonably good place to pullover. 
Call me crazy but that's an incredibly stupid place to try pick up a ride. 

I’m guessing one makes a lot of unintelligent life decisions leading up to that particular one
  • Hook 'Em 2

I used to overpack for trips and could fill a carry-on for a 3 day trip. (Yeah, makeup case and 3 pairs of platform shoes take up a lot of space).

Ever since I met my wife, she’s shown me it’s possible to pack light. We’ve been out of country since last Friday. Between the two of us and 2 under-10 kids, we’ve got a 23” and 2 20” suitcases. We’ll be the ones taking up all the overhead bin space.

I would spend 6 months a year if I could in CR. Santa Teresa, on the southern tip of Puntarena peninsula, is almost heaven. 
Fuck yeah it is, but that main street is a cluster fuck with all the quads and dirt bikes hauling ass. Not kid friendly. Caught some tasty waves nearby, great people and lots of Ex Pats including Argentines

I used to overpack for trips and could fill a carry-on for a 3 day trip. (Yeah, makeup case and 3 pairs of platform shoes take up a lot of space).
Ever since I met my wife, she’s shown me it’s possible to pack light. We’ve been out of country since last Friday. Between the two of us and 2 under-10 kids, we’ve got a 23” and 2 20” suitcases. We’ll be the ones taking up all the overhead bin space.

I have done a week in Costa Rica with a "personal item" sized bag under the seat when I had to fly spirit. (Last minute at Xmas, holy shit it was an awful flight.) It's CR, you need a couple shirts, flip flops and some trunks.

On 6/5/2022 at 7:20 PM, tbone_ said:

When I was younger I always wanted to start a business that was a combination strip club, guitar shop, and car stereo shop.

Mine was a bowling alley titter. I thought I could have like $5k league fees and run a different league each night. Business lanes in front, stripper poles in back. 

• Like 2

Anyone ever bother to go through their contact list and delete people out 
After a decade+ of accumulation on my apple/google contacts i dont even remember who most of these people are. 

At my age (which isn’t super old….but old enough), a number of those contacts are dead. And I don’t have the heart to delete them.

But, a word of caution, that can freak you out if your dead contact was at a larger business, so when someone with that business calls you later, it shows up as your dead contact. When my phone rang and said “Mina Brees” was calling me a year after she died….I got a little freaked out. Then remembered that I had a case with a lawyer from her old firm, and that’s who was calling.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I made pico today because I happened to have all the fixings.  I used very little lime juice today as I normally use the juice of at least 2 limes. I am refrigerating it now so the ingredients can marinate together. Now I just have to decide if I want to add black bean and corn or shrimp to make it a hearty salad. The popcorn shrimp will work pretty good and I'll add more lime juice then. I think that is why my cilantro gets so soggy and I don't like that so much.

• Like 1

I made pico today because I happened to have all the fixings.  I used very little lime juice today as I normally use the juice of at least 2 limes. I am refrigerating it now so the ingredients can marinate together. Now I just have to decide if I want to add black bean and corn or shrimp to make it a hearty salad. The popcorn shrimp will work pretty good and I'll add more lime juice then. I think that is why my cilantro gets so soggy and I don't like that so much.

Marinate just the onion and jalapeños in lime juice. When ready to mix, discard that juice and add fresh lime juice when you add the tomato (meat only, no watery pulp and seeds) and cilantro.

It greatly improves the pico. It’s much brighter tasting and a better texture. The same thing works with cerviche.
  • Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 2:57 PM, ztejas said:

Wine Coolers were EVERYWHERE and advertised out the wazzu.  There is a much more diverse/ competitive booze market these days.

Post Malone don't mean shit to me, but damn if I haven't seen that motherfucker all over shit in the past 72 hours.

is it sweeps week in douchebaggery?

Fuck it I have the BeeGees playing on my playlist to close out Monday afternoon.  Be cool...

I was listening to the radio the other day talking about NIL, and the host said something that I thought was a great idea for a YT channel/podcast/etc. 

Go around to the bigger P5 schools (Texas, tOSU, USC, bama, etc.) and do a similar show to "cribs" on MTV a long time ago.  Except it is for football players with their vehicles and house/apartment.  I would totally watch every episode. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My wife's credit card info got stolen again, this time it was some business in Argentina. Reminded me of a few years ago when her card got stolen and the merchant actually tried to fight back. We went back and forth with the bank and it was only after we threatened legal action with both the merchant and the bank that they dropped the damn thing. 

On 6/6/2022 at 4:45 PM, tbone_ said:

It’s Zima

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit....like when I drank Zima....well not true I puked a lot then....same with 2liter Sun Country Wine Coolers.....except the Sun Country puke is the same color as when it went down

I like the trope of how ridiculously inane and irrelevent perfume television ads are. 

its like…take literally any random lifestyle video clip…and then add the product name on the end. 

easiest creative job ever. 

• Hook 'Em 1