Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

On 9/18/2022 at 10:30 AM, Superhero said:

I wonder how many posters here understand the Seinfeld and Monty Python references. 

The only Seinfeld episode I ever saw was the last part of the final one where the three apparent main characters were sentenced to prison for something. 

Edited by Armybrat
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lurch said:

Only Happy Days I ever watched had one of the guys water skiing while wearing a leather jacket

With apologies to The Usual Suspects, the greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing us that a short, dumpy, nerdy dude was the coolest guy in America. 
giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Armybrat said:

The only Seinfeld episode I ever saw was the last part of the final one where the three apparent main characters were sentenced to prison for something. 

I was late to Seinfeld in that I didn't really watch it until after it aired. I was also just a bit too young to really get it when it first aired anyway. But man, seeing it now, it's hilarious. It's also hard to believe it aired on network TV given what they seem to put on today. 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I was late to Seinfeld in that I didn't really watch it until after it aired. I was also just a bit too young to really get it when it first aired anyway. But man, seeing it now, it's hilarious. It's also hard to believe it aired on network TV given what they seem to put on today. 

I don’t remember it much as a kid either, except my dad LOVED it. A Chicago station on my dish plays two reruns starting at 10:00 every night. 

On 9/24/2022 at 1:06 PM, Lurch said:

Only Happy Days I ever watched had one of the guys water skiing while wearing a leather jacket

Fonzie waterskiing in a leather jacket and jumping over a shark has become widely used in US vernacular about television series, but it’s very commonly used incorrectly. “Jumping the shark” equals a moment/episode so awesome nothing the show can do will ever top it.

The way most people use “jumping the shark” is implying that it the Fonzie waterskiing was a collective eye roll/groan moment from the American public where most people saw it and said this is stupid and stopped watching Happy Days, when in fact jumping the shark was the absolute peak of the show and Fonzie’s coolness.

Shows that are never that great shouldn’t be said to have jumped the shark. Limited series or shows that go off air at the peak of their popularity (like Seinfeld) also never jump the shark. The best example currently is (although not a TV show) likely the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Phase 3 ended with Avengers Endgame (and Spider-Man Far From Home). Endgame was so popular and the build up and payoff (despite what the resident critics here think) was so satisfying to the public that almost everything in Phase 4 that has come after has been a disappointment outside of Spider-Man No Way Home (which is really a culmination of the 8 previous Sony Spider-Man movies despite Dr Strange’s involvement).

If Marvel never figures out how to put together another worldwide, universally acclaimed ensemble movie like Endgame ever again then that would be their jumping the shark, not Thor 4, She Hulk, or the Eternals.

On 9/24/2022 at 1:58 AM, Superhero said:

I had a parent teacher conference, and according to test results, my 2nd grader’s math and reading are at a 4th grade level.

She wants to put him in advanced learning program which I fully support because Asian tiger dad and such. 

My mom was a teacher. When I started 1st grade, I could read at a 6th grade level. 
Look at me now. I’m in the top 1% of posters on a website for broken brained assholes. 
The future is bright for your son.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

Fonzie waterskiing in a leather jacket and jumping over a shark has become widely used in US vernacular about television series, but it’s very commonly used incorrectly. “Jumping the shark” equals a moment/episode so awesome nothing the show can do will ever top it.

The way most people use “jumping the shark” is implying that it the Fonzie waterskiing was a collective eye roll/groan moment from the American public where most people saw it and said this is stupid and stopped watching Happy Days, when in fact jumping the shark was the absolute peak of the show and Fonzie’s coolness.

Shows that are never that great shouldn’t be said to have jumped the shark. Limited series or shows that go off air at the peak of their popularity (like Seinfeld) also never jump the shark. The best example currently is (although not a TV show) likely the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Phase 3 ended with Avengers Endgame (and Spider-Man Far From Home). Endgame was so popular and the build up and payoff (despite what the resident critics here think) was so satisfying to the public that almost everything in Phase 4 that has come after has been a disappointment outside of Spider-Man No Way Home (which is really a culmination of the 8 previous Sony Spider-Man movies despite Dr Strange’s involvement).

If Marvel never figures out how to put together another worldwide, universally acclaimed ensemble movie like Endgame ever again then that would be their jumping the shark, not Thor 4, She Hulk, or the Eternals.

That's a good point about "Happy Days"  When that happened, it was actually peak "coolness", but a 150 million living Americans weren't alive when that episode aired and so the expression has changed in meaning and context.  Kind of like how "radical" was a positive term around the same time, now it means somebody sucks...extremely sucks.

My random thought...i was in a convenience store earlier today that had the height measuring sticker between the doors.  You walk past one of those deals on a weekly basis but rarely notice them or the camera.  But I looked at this one and it started at 4 feet and up to 7 feet.  And I never noticed it before, the scale.  Is there a chain of convenience stores being knocked off by a 4 foot tall man?  You'd think that'd make the news.  "Little Person robs 7-11 for cash and booze, story at 10."  Or is some unruly 5th grader stealing cigarettes and candy?  

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

That's a good point about "Happy Days"  When that happened, it was actually peak "coolness", but a 150 million living Americans weren't alive when that episode aired and so the expression has changed in meaning and context.  Kind of like how "radical" was a positive term around the same time, now it means somebody sucks...extremely sucks.

Yep, going to be one of those gif/jif octopuses/octopi things where it’s now considered correct simply because the masses have used it incorrectly so long that it becomes normalized.

i'd been a practitioner of Zero Inbox since forever.  starting this summer, for whatever reasons i forgot, basically i let the gmail inbox pile up and up and up.  (emails are read, but theyre just not categorized and archived).

last night finally sat down and organized them all.  main inbox is now only 1 page of  current mails.

this feels..us just like this

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.dYgDFdm28oM9BcrIsvuYoAHaG2%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=5123e0161c2b006a12113198bd7c3d6208688139fdcc1f5e1fde5f31f30caa2d&ipo=images

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

i'd been a practitioner of Zero Inbox since forever.  starting this summer, for whatever reasons i forgot, basically i let the gmail inbox pile up and up and up.  (emails are read, but theyre just not categorized and archived).

last night finally sat down and organized them all.  main inbox is now only 1 page of  current mails.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.dYgDFdm28oM9BcrIsvuYoAHaG2%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=5123e0161c2b006a12113198bd7c3d6208688139fdcc1f5e1fde5f31f30caa2d&ipo=images

Life is too short for inbox zero. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/24/2022 at 6:14 PM, Underdog said:

Happy Days was a much better show when it focused on the Cunninghams (sans Chuck) and not on Fonzie.  

It would’ve been hard to focus on them with Chuck since he didn’t last long on that show.

But I don’t think the show really holds up. Can you give an example of a great Cunninghams-focused, non-Fonzie episode?

Was Chuck the one that appears in the first episode, never gets talked about ever again like George Costanza's brother, and is presumed to have enlisted in the military to die in the Korean War in the Spring of 1953?

Somebody in Hollywood should go back and do prequels/reboots of some of these "missing" characters from beloved TV shows.  The universe is already built out in most of them, they can just refer to the other, older characters by name with the same tenor of writing.  Like that annoying chick with the shitty perm from first season of "The West Wing."  I fucking hated her, but any excuse to dive back into that show's universe.

On 9/25/2022 at 3:13 PM, TKthunder2 said:

Why did I never recognize that Fonzie was aggy?

FonzieAg.jpg

22 hours ago, 52-80 said:

21 hours ago, nnm said:

C3FC33DE-5B23-47A8-BB16-EBE6A576DBD6.thumb.jpeg.e391c1336c8c4d0b29bc0ba8b1adf77d.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

22 hours ago, nnm said:

If it's important, they'll send it again.

I can't do that as much as I used to, but I did embrace that philosophy early in my career.  It's pretty damned true, depending upon their level.

46 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Bastards...SEC, ACC LHN, ESPN all gone on a freaking Saturday. I hope Mickey gets ass rot.

Yep. And Sling/Dish too because they kept it all under wraps so no one would cancel or switch providers. It wasn't announced until this morning.

9 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
35 minutes ago, Crapinon said:
Yep. And Sling/Dish too because they kept it all under wraps so no one would cancel or switch providers. It wasn't announced until this morning.

Dammit I have Sling. What is a viable streaming alternative for Espn/LHN?

I think it's on HULU since heir owned by Disney. A lot of streams have ESPN very few have LHN. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, elfenix said:

drowning kid in the pool |  PEOPLE IN THE OFFICE SHOUTING FOR MY HELP; WHAT I'M LISTENING TO; ME WEARING MY NOISE CANCELLING CANS | image tagged in drowning kid in the pool | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

That’s my office experience 80% of the time. The open office concept sucks ass, especially with the kids giggling in the background.

I have the Sony noise canceling earphone which work great and I can’t hear people coming to my desk.

I’ve been asked if they can throw stuff at me to get my attention and I’m okay with it as long as it’s not at my face, I’m cool with it.