Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

On 10/25/2022 at 2:59 PM, Armybrat said:

Motorcycles.

Bikes have never been good for my family, starting with my Dad.
He had a 1918 Indian that he rode when he was a student at the U. Of Missouri starting in 1929. During his sophomore year he was going to ride it home to Nodaway County for Christmas but missed a curve and landed in a corn field with a broken leg. Wish I had that bike now though - it would be a cool display in my man cave room.
My oldest brother had a German Zundapp 250 that he rode around Austin as a U. Of Texas student in the late ‘50s. He got t-boned by a Volkswagen on campus, breaking his leg. He sold the bike and bought a Volkswagen. 
In the early 1980s his son had a Yamaha 550 dirt bike in Austin. Some old fart pulled out of a driveway too fast for my nephew to avoid hitting him. Nephew not only broke his leg flying over that car, but the foot peg made a huge hole in his thigh. Still has quite a scar there.
My youngest son snuck his older brother’s Kawasaki 500 trail bike out one day, but only got a block from home before hitting a curb and dislocating his shoulder after landing in someone’s front yard.
I had a 1975 Honda CB200 and a 1980 CT110, but luckily never put either one down. Sold the 200, and one of my boys kept the little 110 as a classic.

Reminds me of a great movie......if you have never seen it I highly recommend it.

Worlds_fastest_indian.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I was driving on I-45 between Galveston and Houston yesterday. All the sudden four blue jets with smoke tailing them are flying straight up, loop over, and then all split apart in opposite directions. 

The fucking Blue Angels. I guess they were flying at the field over by NASA. They flew in formation, split off on their own, flew in a diamond across I-45. Damn. Complete badassery just randomly seen driving down the freeway.

3 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The Wings Over Houston airshow is at Ellington and the Blue Angels are there

Dang, guess they were preparing. Need to take the kid out there.

I was driving on I-45 between Galveston and Houston yesterday. All the sudden four blue jets with smoke tailing them are flying straight up, loop over, and then all split apart in opposite directions. 
The fucking Blue Angels. I guess they were flying at the field over by NASA. They flew in formation, split off on their own, flew in a diamond across I-45. Damn. Complete badassery just randomly seen driving down the freeway.

Here in Jax Beach FL, they come a week before their show and practice all week around our house. It’s absolutely incredible
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Blotto said:

Valid question, I'm on my way to the parks in Utah. Bit late in the year, but I have the time. CO got a front yesterday, and Keystone actually opened today.

Does the season in Utah open earlier? I've mostly skiied in NM and once in CO - but always in the middle of the season. 

4 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Ha! I'm talking Bryce, Zion, Arches. I'm on the tail end of the season, not the beginning. 

So... climbing? Sorry if me retard and not get. 

I did outward bound before my senior year of high school. 10 days I think in the Sierra Nevada backpacking and climbing. Pretty awesome stuff. Wrote an essay about it that got me into William and Mary. And used it as a pickup conversation to land one of the hottest girls I went to high school with. 

I mean, I'm a total loser now but I used to be cool. I promise. 

I used to work at a seafood restaurant, nice enough to take Dorothy man’s tooth or south Austin’s mom to.  Great gumbo among other fine vittles. Anyways this waitress had a cup before her shift and yada, yada yada, shift is over and we hit the local watering hole.  Girl does a tequila shot and proceeds to vomit on a coworkers sandal enveloped feet.   We all looked down and there was the gumbo, with a big ole piece of 🍤 

• Like 2

I wonder if the restaurant industry is going to have a big change in the coming year or two. Maybe it's just me, but with Covid + inflation, it seems like the value is just not there for all levels of price. On top of that, I'm finding myself just not wanting to deal with the hassle of actually going out. 

Used to go to a Chipotle a couple of miles from my house. $8 for a bowl that was pretty good quality. Now it's $10, half the time the order is late, and the portions have gotten way smaller. Add in the hassle of driving over there, and I've gone from 2-4 times a month to maybe once a month? Ate at a place on the road the other day... a bowl of gumbo ($14) plus tea ($3.50) plus a side of garlic bread ($5) plus tax and tip came out to nearly $30 for one person. Ate at Thai-Kun and for two entrees, one cocktail, and tip, it's $65. 

On 10/31/2022 at 12:31 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

I wonder if the restaurant industry is going to have a big change in the coming year or two. Maybe it's just me, but with Covid + inflation, it seems like the value is just not there for all levels of price. On top of that, I'm finding myself just not wanting to deal with the hassle of actually going out. 

Used to go to a Chipotle a couple of miles from my house. $8 for a bowl that was pretty good quality. Now it's $10, half the time the order is late, and the portions have gotten way smaller. Add in the hassle of driving over there, and I've gone from 2-4 times a month to maybe once a month? Ate at a place on the road the other day... a bowl of gumbo ($14) plus tea ($3.50) plus a side of garlic bread ($5) plus tax and tip came out to nearly $30 for one person. Ate at Thai-Kun and for two entrees, one cocktail, and tip, it's $65. 

At least with Chipotle you get free diarrhea with every order. 

6 hours ago, Superhero said:

I took my son to track practice today. They practice at a high school and we'll occasionally see the football team there. Instead of football, the girls had a soccer practice and I took a look every once in a while. Does that make me a pervert?

Share the pics you took and we’ll judge if you’re pervy or not.

Twice this week I’ve taken fried egg sandwiches for break, should have been doing this sooner. 

Edited by Underdog
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Superhero said:

I took my son to track practice today. They practice at a high school and we'll occasionally see the football team there. Instead of football, the girls had a soccer practice and I took a look every once in a while. Does that make me a pervert?

Some of them might be 18. 

On 11/2/2022 at 2:06 AM, Superhero said:

I was on campus yesterday, and the track team was taking their photos. Holy. Shit. There's some fuckin smoke in that group.

Pro Tip: If you're coming in for an interview, at least do a little research on the company, and find out on LinkedIn who you're talking to, especially if their names are on the meeting invite. Makes a hell of a difference.

Edited by Superhero
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Pro Tip: If you're coming in for an interview, at least do a little research on the company, and find out on LinkedIn who you're talking to, especially if their names are on the meeting invite. Makes a hell of a difference.

My company builds widgets. I ask every person I interview who is the best widget builder in our market. No one has ever had anything remotely close to a decent answer. Mind bottling.

6 hours ago, tbone_ said:

My company builds widgets. I ask every person I interview who is the best widget builder in our market. No one has ever had anything remotely close to a decent answer. Mind bottling.

When I was in law school the widget makers were getting sued left and right for faulty products. So I don’t blame your interviewees. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I'd vote for time changes every 3 months because I enjoy the novelty. 

We should change it 10 minutes backward every month for six months and then 10 minutes forward every month for the next six.   And change smoke alarm batteries 12 times a year. Really the only valid solution.