Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

In an era where we can send information across the glove in a fraction of a second through undersea cables or satellites in the sky, it still blows my mind that carrier pigeons were an actually functional means of communication. 

Like, you could strap a note to the leg of a bird, and trust that it would actually fly back to wherever the fuck it was supposed to return. 

Amazon. The origination of Prime was 2 day shipping. Now it is 4+ days on most orders. Guessing it’s a Christmas thing right now?

Seriously I wanted to buy Amazon basics D batteries and the delivery date is next Sunday, but that’s too long so I’ll hit up Walmart tomorrow I guess.
I'm sorry for your loss.
  • Haha 1

On all the cooking shows, all of the equipment - stoves, ovens, trays, pans - are absolutely spotless. 

I get that they are sponsored equipment and provided for free. But does a show like Cooks Illustrated really just replace their ovens on a weekly basis or what. Do employees get to take the items home. 

I don't care about and never watch soccer. But I'm watching USA verses Iran hoping the USA beats them 50-0. I was in college in the 70's when the Shah was overthrown. There were a ton of them in the engineering school and the pro-shah and anti-shah groups would meet all over campus yelling and screaming threats at each other, on and on. You couldn't do anything because of the racket.

During the game, I guess there was an opportunity for a penalty kick and the US and Iranian players lined up in front of the goal. The US player had a perfect opportunity to peg one of them in the nuts or squarely in the face but ended up missing the goal. I was disappointed.  

On 11/27/2022 at 4:24 AM, 52-80 said:

In an era where we can send information across the glove in a fraction of a second through undersea cables or satellites in the sky, it still blows my mind that carrier pigeons were an actually functional means of communication. 

Like, you could strap a note to the leg of a bird, and trust that it would actually fly back to wherever the fuck it was supposed to return. 

Fun fact:  Pigeons are native to the middle east.  If you see them anywhere else in the world, you are looking at the ruins of an ancient telecommunication infrastructure. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crapinon said:

But I do feel sorry for the Iranian soccer players. The Revolutionary Guard had already threatened them that if they didn't toe the line their wives and children were going to be arrested and tortured. It's probably going to happen after the loss.

Pretty much all of the iranians ive ever met are nice and humble as hell. Great cuisine too. Shame about their fucked up gov. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 6:52 AM, 52-80 said:

On all the cooking shows, all of the equipment - stoves, ovens, trays, pans - are absolutely spotless. 

I get that they are sponsored equipment and provided for free. But does a show like Cooks Illustrated really just replace their ovens on a weekly basis or what. Do employees get to take the items home. 

Or maybe they just clean up after they cook... you should try that sometime.

how do you break into the toddler book business? 

because goddamn they dont seem to need any writing or creativity at all.  just get some completely random idea, contract some pakistani kids on fiverr.com to do the illustration, publish, and then sit on the beach and collect the royalty fees

• Hook 'Em 1

Maybe it should be a full thread because I find the psychology of money fascinating. But extremely rich people that do shady/weird stuff to get more extremely rich... I don't get it. I guess that's why I'm not extremely rich?

Take Ronaldo -- and already rich man -- signing with the Saudi team. Or Elon taking on Twitter and going nuts. Or celebs being paid $1 million to perform at the concert in Turkmenistan. Or Madoff... or Skilling/Lay.

The easy answer is greed. But... why? Is there any risk of these people otherwise having to go without anything they can dream of? Doesn't the money literally get to the point that it's essentially sitting in a big pile and you'll never need it or touch it? 

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Maybe it should be a full thread because I find the psychology of money fascinating. But extremely rich people that do shady/weird stuff to get more extremely rich... I don't get it. I guess that's why I'm not extremely rich?

Take Ronaldo -- and already rich man -- signing with the Saudi team. Or Elon taking on Twitter and going nuts. Or celebs being paid $1 million to perform at the concert in Turkmenistan. Or Madoff... or Skilling/Lay.

The easy answer is greed. But... why? Is there any risk of these people otherwise having to go without anything they can dream of? Doesn't the money literally get to the point that it's essentially sitting in a big pile and you'll never need it or touch it? 

i dont know but i sure dont mind given the chance to find out.

12 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Whens a consulting firm gonna get a multi$m contract and a case study for suggesting that CVS reduce the length of their receipts. 

At this point, I'm 90% sure they keep doing it because it's kind of their schtick now.  Every time I hear this wisecrack, I still think, "Shit, I need some deodorant and pain relievers, and I'm too lazy to deal with HEB or Target."  Rent free marketing in my head on their part.  

To combine this with another thread...if you want to have a cheap laugh after quitting alcohol.  Keep a super long CVS receipt in your glovebox.  Bring it in with you next time you're at Costco.  Do your shopping and head back to the car.  When they ask for your receipt at the door, hand them the super long one from CVS and while they're scrolling through their brain for the words to ask you what is happening, just quickly and frankly say, "Yeah, I know...I don't what's going on at register 7 either."  And just walk out and laugh all the way to the car.  The look on their faces is fucking priceless.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Haha 3

On 10/4/2022 at 8:59 PM, Superhero said:

I take my kid to track practice a few evenings per week. I use the hour to walk 8-10 laps to burn some calories.

I can safely say 100% of the other parents range from fat to obese. They spend the hour leaning on the fence watching their sons and daughters run while they themselves probably couldn’t walk 400 meters without getting winded. 

On 10/5/2022 at 5:30 AM, closetohumping said:

You live in California?  Kind of a surprise.  Most of the fellow olds around me are in decent shape. 

You two assholes live within 5 miles of each other.

• Haha 3

On 12/8/2022 at 2:05 AM, 52-80 said:

Whens a consulting firm gonna get a multi$m contract and a case study for suggesting that CVS reduce the length of their receipts. 

Every time you bitch about the CVS receipt, they get 3 inches longer

I’m not a big basketball guy but I’ll lurk around the edges. Every news story refers to Britney Griner as a WNBA star. Is there really such a thing? Is there anyone other than the “She wears comfortable shoes” crowd that follows the WNBA? Every time I hear about the league I’m surprised it’s still around.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

If you are a homeowner and you don't have a Little Giant ladder for your climbing needs, especially one with leveling feet, you're doing it wrong.

Bought mine before the leveling feet came out. Can’t justify getting another just for that reason. Still, the ladder is legit.

• Hook 'Em 1