Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

19 hours ago, Superhero said:

I've put screen time limits, and app limits on my son's iPad so he can only use it during a certain time, and he also only gets a few hours on Youtube and Roblox.

Yesterday he ran out of time, and my nephew told him to guess the password and gave him some ideas.

So yeah, I should have selected a more difficult password, but now I'm fucking pissed at both my son and nephew for trying to go around me. I took his iPad away, and told him he can have it next week.

My son is crying himself to sleep now, but only after he yelled at my nephew (who's sleeping over) that it's all his fault.

Should I be pissed at myself, my son, my nephew or all of the above?

My mom had an easily guessable password until my nephew charged like $200 through iTunes on in-game purchases via her iPad when he was like 8

16 hours ago, Superhero said:

You can also let people know you’re local by just writing down the city and state. 

It's probably a carryover from when people didn't have cell phones or email addresses. You had to drop them off or mail them in. The only way of communicating back with an applicant was by mail or phone. I'd bet everyone uses a resume template and the address is another box to fill in.  

Ztejas’ idiotic curbside thread reminded me of when I brought like 17 or 18 items to the 10 items or less self-checkout thing in HEB. It was pretty busy and some Karen waiting behind me in line looked at my overloaded hand basket and said “is that 10?” or something similar. I just laughed and said “I think so” and turned around. Heb employee working the area didn’t seem to care. It’s amazing how many people can’t mind their own business.

Edited by Helobious
  • Fuck You 3
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Bullshit.  It's a dick move to knowingly jump in the express line with more items than allowed.  People get in that line to move quick.  It is their business if you fuck that up.

There's this concept of the social contract that Americans don't seem to understand.  

Me, me, me and I, I, I.  Fuck you if it inconveniences me. Selfish society we have here. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 3

23 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Bullshit.  It's a dick move to knowingly jump in the express line with more items than allowed.  People get in that line to move quick.  It is their business if you fuck that up.

I think 20+ items would’ve made me an asshole. But I really doubt anyone’s life was changed by the extra 30ish seconds it took me to scan the 7 excess items I had. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

How good is tortilla chips and dip, really?  Maybe the best snack food ever. 

guacamole, salsa fresca, canned salsa, pico de gallo, even with baba ghanoush

Hummus

Bean dip

Spinach and artichoke

It's so versatile as a snack and damn good. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Helobious said:

I think 20+ items would’ve made me an asshole. But I really doubt anyone’s life was changed by the extra 30ish seconds it took me to scan the 7 excess items I had. 

See that’s the “my time is more valuable than yours or anyone else’s” mentality that is so pervasive.  Fuck that.  You have 17, the next guy has 15, then next 16.  The whole thing gets fucked.  Or you think, “only I can have the extra items, not anyone else”

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

See that’s the “my time is more valuable than yours or anyone else’s” mentality that is so pervasive.  Fuck that.  You have 17, the next guy has 15, then next 16.  The whole thing gets fucked.  Or you think, “only I can have the extra items, not anyone else”

So what you’re saying is that it is comparable to the “right lane ends, must turn right” type of deal. You know, where everyone knows and merges, but there’s that one fuck rag that has to be better than everyone else and try to cut someone off?

That kind of thing?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

So what you’re saying is that it is comparable to the “right lane ends, must turn right” type of deal. You know, where everyone knows and merges, but there’s that one fuck rag that has to be better than everyone else and try to cut someone off?

That kind of thing?

No, it's more like when it says no trucks in the left lane and someone decides that it should apply to others, but not his big rig so he parks his 18-wheeler in the left lane.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 1/17/2023 at 10:45 AM, Helobious said:

You’re an asshole even if you had 4 items.  That’s just how you are.  And not an asshole in a cool kind of way.  Just a creepy inconsiderate asshole. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/17/2023 at 12:13 PM, Sbbruin said:

People get in that line to move quick.  It is their business if you fuck that up.

I don't use the express line, so I don't really have a dog in this fight. But I'm curious: If he had only 10 items but took fucking forever to check out, is that worse than checking out with 17 items at a normal pace? What if he had 17 but was fast as fuck? Does increased checkout speed get you some leeway as to how many items are considered acceptable?

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't use the express line, so I don't really have a dog in this fight. But I'm curious: If he had only 10 items but took fucking forever to check out, is that worse than checking out with 17 items at a normal pace? What if he had 17 but was fast as fuck? Does increased checkout speed get you some leeway as to how many items are considered acceptable?

If someone writes a check in the express checkout, they are an asshole.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It wasn't until about 6 months ago that I finally started paying attention to all the chants and recitals in my wife's Catholic Church, including the story of Pilate.  And then I tied it back to "Sympathy for the Devil" by the Rolling Stones.  I am trying to figure out a way to tell my family that I met Cartaphilus once in Toledo, Spain in the mid 1990's.  I know it was him and he knew I knew it was him.  Having said that, I am 90% sure we are living in a computer simulation and none of this actually matters.  

10 hours ago, Nuge said:

I started off with 7 layer dip as a snack but kept going and it became dinner.  

I love the running gag in "Only Murders in the Building" with Martin Short and his dip snobbery.  And that's basically all he ever eats as full meals.  

That and the running gag of 'Gut Milk', which I can only assume does not pair well with Teddy's dips.  

On 1/17/2023 at 12:45 PM, Helobious said:

No, you are still an asshole because you didn't allow her with her 10 items or less to go ahead of you. She probably would have told you to just go ahead. But you make the attempt to let her go first as a way to acknowledge that she was doing the right thing and the world isn't so full of selfish dick assholes who laugh at people who do the right thing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just got my auto policy renewal from Allstate, and they want to bump my premium by $2k.  Called Amica and got a quote for $1,300 less than my last Allstate premium.  How can they have such wildly different premiums?  That's also without a bundle discount.  When my home policy renews, I'll be getting a quote on that as well, and I'm sure I'll be switching that.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/20/2023 at 1:29 PM, Sandman said:

It’s not a self checkout lane. You put your items on the counter and the cashier rings them up. There’s not a lot of wiggle room for a shopper to go slow or fast as long as they unload their basket or cart promptly. Sometimes there’s a belt and you can do that while the cashier is ringing up the person in front of you.

I’ve seen self checkout lanes of varying sizes, some better suited for small purchases than others. But I’ve never seen any specifically designated as express lanes. 

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Just got my auto policy renewal from Allstate, and they want to bump my premium by $2k.  Called Amica and got a quote for $1,300 less than my last Allstate premium.  How can they have such wildly different premiums?  That's also without a bundle discount.  When my home policy renews, I'll be getting a quote on that as well, and I'm sure I'll be switching that.

What are you driving that costs that much?! Ours is around $500 for six months for two cars, two drivers.

10 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

What are you driving that costs that much?! Ours is around $500 for six months for two cars, two drivers.

image.png.821c191c37ed5bbc1b0598b2b77876e9.png

For $100/$300, Progressive

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

On 1/15/2023 at 11:56 PM, Superhero said:

I've put screen time limits, and app limits on my son's iPad so he can only use it during a certain time, and he also only gets a few hours on Youtube and Roblox.

Yesterday he ran out of time, and my nephew told him to guess the password and gave him some ideas.

So yeah, I should have selected a more difficult password, but now I'm fucking pissed at both my son and nephew for trying to go around me. I took his iPad away, and told him he can have it next week.

My son is crying himself to sleep now, but only after he yelled at my nephew (who's sleeping over) that it's all his fault.

Should I be pissed at myself, my son, my nephew or all of the above?

Neither. Kids doing kid shit. Of course you have to punish him. Also have a good laugh to yourself about it.