Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

38 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Why couldn’t I make a business renting retail space in airports, chopping it up into little cubbies, and selling a nice quiet comfortable room to take a short nap in for $25/half hour?

Because it wouldn’t be used for just naps. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The MV Astoria is going to take her final trip to Rotterdam next week where she will be broken up for scrap.  She is currently the oldest cruise ship out there.

Astoria first went to sea in 1948 as the SS Stockholm.  In 1956, the Stockholm collided with the Andrea Doria in heavy fog off Nantucket Island.  The Andrea Doria sunk, 52 people were killed.

Among the people aboard the Andrea Doria was 14-year old Linda Morgan, who was in bed in cabin 52 at the time of the collision.  Cabin 52 was right above where Stockholm struck Andrea Doria, and Morgan was launched onto the deck of the Stockholm.  Her mother and step-sister were killed.

Twelve years after the collision, Linda Morgan married Phil Hardberger.  They moved to San Antonio in 1970, and Phil became mayor in 2005.  Linda is still around at age 81.  She's a very nice lady.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 1/30/2023 at 1:00 PM, tbone_ said:

Why couldn’t I make a business renting retail space in airports, chopping it up into little cubbies, and selling a nice quiet comfortable room to take a short nap in for $25/half hour?

Because sooner or later people are going to be having sex in those rooms, and the poor cleaning person will be wiping jizz off the walls, carpet and sofa.

Edit: Shoot, too late. 2 other people had their heads in the gutter before me.

Edited by Superhero
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

The MV Astoria is going to take her final trip to Rotterdam next week where she will be broken up for scrap.  She is currently the oldest cruise ship out there.

Astoria first went to sea in 1948 as the SS Stockholm.  In 1956, the Stockholm collided with the Andrea Doria in heavy fog off Nantucket Island.  The Andrea Doria sunk, 52 people were killed.

Among the people aboard the Andrea Doria was 14-year old Linda Morgan, who was in bed in cabin 52 at the time of the collision.  Cabin 52 was right above where Stockholm struck Andrea Doria, and Morgan was launched onto the deck of the Stockholm.  Her mother and step-sister were killed.

Twelve years after the collision, Linda Morgan married Phil Hardberger.  They moved to San Antonio in 1970, and Phil became mayor in 2005.  Linda is still around at age 81.  She's a very nice lady.

I see the last installment of your TIME/LIFE book subscription finally came in, 25 years later.  "Astonishing Tales of the Sea"?  

I read your post in the voice of the great blues lady, Edmund Fitzgerald. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

In 1956, the Stockholm collided with the Andrea Doria in heavy fog off Nantucket Island.  The Andrea Doria sunk, 52 people were killed.

I tell ya, I hear people really stuff themselves on those cruise ships.  The buffet, that's the real ordeal, huh, Clarence? 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I see the last installment of your TIME/LIFE book subscription finally came in, 25 years later.  "Astonishing Tales of the Sea"?  

No, but almost as random.  I saw that the Astoria was due to be broken up and that it was the oldest cruise ship out there.  So I went on a little Google dive, until I came to the story of Mrs. Hardberger, when I was like 

Leonardo Di Caprio Look GIF by Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

• Like 2

Bought some cookies from Girl Scouts this past saturday. There was an alpha one that was maybe 11 that was super cheerful & talkative, and was telling me to try that toffee ones if I liked trefoils, so I got a box of those in addition to a s’mores box instead of trefoils. Sure enough the toffee flavor was terrible. I bet they were low on trefoils and she was trying to unload the toffee or something. Fucking bitch. 

• Haha 5

38 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Bought some cookies from Girl Scouts this past saturday. There was an alpha one that was maybe 11 that was super cheerful & talkative, and was telling me to try that toffee ones if I liked trefoils, so I got a box of those in addition to a s’mores box instead of trefoils. Sure enough the toffee flavor was terrible. I bet they were low on trefoils and she was trying to unload the toffee or something. Fucking bitch. 

Ask them if they are made from Real Girl Scouts or artificially flavored. 

Cheeseweasel, "Real girl scout cookie, Eddie?"

eddie, "Ah, nothing but the best..."  

the French requiring you to live at least a decent amount of time to payoff your mortgage does make some sense.  But it also seems unnecessarily intrusive.  Just require proof of life insurance substantial enough to pay off the note at some pre-determined time (30 days after closing to 30 years down the road), or have them pay into Escrow to some sort of "aggregated pool" (basically insurance).  I mean, we kinda do the same thing with homeowner's insurance here in the U.S.  Where either show you can recover from a total loss, pay your own policy premiums, or like most---pay into escrow to cover the asset now jointly held by you and the lender/government agency.  It's actually one of those concepts in government and banking that kinda makes sense either way.  And that's fucking rare.  

My random thought---I need more firewood if this outage is gonna persist for another 24+ horus.

6 hours ago, Lurch said:

Man that Alamodome turf looks like ass

Didn’t know there was a base of dirt underneath the infield. Fuck the outfielders though, I guess?

It's more about deadening the ball off the bat to prevent crazy high hops versus softening things for players.

6 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

It did look like shit. Was that a practice run or some shit?

They didn’t leave it like that for a real game did they?

It was for late Spring Training games, so not real games per se . Baseball in the Alamodome is an absolute joke. The best configuration had it like 250' to straight away right which is like a Pony League field.  It was so short I think they had to put up a net in right to protect fans. This pic looks like they at least weren't letting people sit in the first several rows.

6dvn3lqeewq41.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Helobious said:

Why anyone buys anything other than Thin Mints and Lemonades bottles my mind. 

11 hours ago, BearMace said:

It's more about deadening the ball off the bat to prevent crazy high hops versus softening things for players.

It was for late Spring Training games, so not real games per se . Baseball in the Alamodome is an absolute joke. The best configuration had it like 250' to straight away right which is like a Pony League field.  It was so short I think they had to put up a net in right to protect fans. This pic looks like they at least weren't letting people sit in the first several rows.

6dvn3lqeewq41.jpg

NGL.  Looks pretty cool imo but I'm not a baseball purist, good crowd on hand also. 

Why were two military cargo planes slow rolling low as fuck in West Austin just now, came over Mansfield dam, down Lake Austin so low they were below my balcony, then lifted up, buzzed the middle school in Steiner before meandering towards City Park?

Two planes, four props.
We get a lot of Helos buzzing by between Mayby, Brack and Ft Hood. Planes not so much.

14 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Why were two military cargo planes slow rolling low as fuck in West Austin just now, came over Mansfield dam, down Lake Austin so low they were below my balcony, then lifted up, buzzed the middle school in Steiner before meandering towards City Park?

Two planes, four props.
We get a lot of Helos buzzing by between Mayby, Brack and Ft Hood. Planes not so much.

The CR is that way ——>

• Haha 1

On 1/31/2023 at 4:00 PM, YGIFS said:

I remember that maritime disaster very well, because I had seen the Andrea Doria docked in New York City two years before when my family sailed into the harbor from Puerto arico.

4 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

How stupid is it that Chuck Berry's only #1 hit was My Ding-A-Ling?  One thing that John Lennon got right was when he said that if it wasn't called rock and roll, it would be called Chuck Berry.  So many great and influential songs, and that's the one that hits #1?  Silly.

10D4A1AB-7470-4923-AB5D-A064169BE2B2.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Born to Run said:

How the fuck is that CR? Foxtrot Juliet Bravo out joyriding with his evil dementia?
Just honestly curious.

Lots of conspiracy theories about black helicopters and the deep state getting ready to take over. Starting with the people’s republic of Austin, I guess. 

On 1/31/2023 at 4:23 PM, Ghost of LL said:

• Hook 'Em 1

Lots of conspiracy theories about black helicopters and the deep state getting ready to take over. Starting with the people’s republic of Austin, I guess. 
I won't start to worry until I have Gestspo in my Bastropo I suppose.

I hope some badass Vet just had his kid buzz by as a tip of the cap.

I guess I miss the conspiracy Channel willfully
  • Like 1