Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

On 2/3/2023 at 4:52 PM, Scheiss Meister said:

How stupid is it that Chuck Berry's only #1 hit was My Ding-A-Ling?  One thing that John Lennon got right was when he said that if it wasn't called rock and roll, it would be called Chuck Berry.  So many great and influential songs, and that's the one that hits #1?  Silly.

That is pretty stupid. Maybe it’s an indicator of the listening audience at the time. Maybe he didn’t gain widespread recognition for his work until later on. I don’t know. I do know that any electric guitarist worth his salt had better be able to throw down on Johnny B. Goode.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/3/2023 at 3:52 PM, Scheiss Meister said:

How stupid is it that Chuck Berry's only #1 hit was My Ding-A-Ling?  One thing that John Lennon got right was when he said that if it wasn't called rock and roll, it would be called Chuck Berry.  So many great and influential songs, and that's the one that hits #1?  Silly.

It could be argued that this woman had more influence on Rock and Roll as much as any musician in history but most people don't even know who she is. And the R&R HOF didn't even acknowledge her existence until 2017. Bunch of dumbasses.......

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Meh, Elvis didn’t move the needle much early on.
Friend of my brother had a local band that opened for him when he played the Skyline Ballroom about 1955.

Elvis was a massive success almost immediately. He was 20 years old in 1955 and by January 1956 was on national television. 

My wife has a college friend whose life is a complete wreck. One of her feet started hurting about 4 years ago, and her health just went into a nosedive.

When she went to the podiatrist, the elevator door malfunctioned and her crushed other foot. At first she was still able to get around on crutches, but something else happened and the only way for her to get around was to crawl. Somehow that caused vertigo so she even stopped doing that.

Her husband's a piece of shit who isn't taking care of her or their kid (currently in kinder). He's not out drinking or whoring around, but he's completely checked out of his marriage and responsibility as a dad, leaving the kid doing whatever until after midnight. The kid hardly spent any time outdoors until he went to TK because mom couldn't leave the house, and dad didn't want to take him either.

Wife's friend thinks she's a terrible mother, and tries to do stuff for the kid, but any time she tries to do something, she gets hurt even more. When my wife visited her today, her friend was wearing a neck brace because she mysteriously injured it, her right hand was hurting, she wore depends because her POS husband isn't around to take her to the toilet, and she shaved her because there's no way for her to reach up and wash.

In the past year, she moved in with her dad because she needed to focus on her health, and not be weighed down with worry and depression. But her dad is also a POS and not taking care of her daughter. Her in-laws are in town, and will take care of the kid only if needed, but aren't thrilled with him spending any more time with him.

Also, my wife comes from a family of hoarders, so she knows clutter. So when she said she couldn't stand the clutter at her friend's house, I can't even imagine what that looks like.

Anyway, my unsolicited advice, if I saw her, would be to get herself to a place where she could recover, do some physical and emotional therapy, and go back to being a great mom after she's healthy. I'd also be tempted to just call CPS and have the kid taken away. I know it sounds terrible, but not having to worry about taking care of the kid 24/7 might give her time to heal her body, or at least not make it worse. I don't know what happens to a kid once CPS steps in, so I'm just spitballing here, but a few months/years in a foster home might even be better than seeing his mom like this and dad not giving a shit. But what do I know, I'm just a judgmental asshole who thinks my shit doesn't stink.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lurch said:

I’m guessing he means “white”

Yup. Was trying to get him to commit to saying that only people with the proper melanin level can be blues singers. But that’s a sliding scale, isn’t it? Just how much melanin do you need to be qualified to sing the blues?

5 minutes ago, Lurch said:

I’m guessing he means “white”

1 minute ago, nnm said:

Yup. Was trying to get him to commit to saying that only people with the proper melanin level can be blues singers. But that’s a sliding scale, isn’t it? Just how much melanin do you need to be qualified to sing the blues?

Nah, if I was going to pick something like that I would go with her gender. The woman just can't sing like that, though. But, considering there aren't that many white women blues singers, that definitely makes her a novelty and gives her a boost. There are plenty of less melanated people that are good blues artists. Bonnie just ain't one of them. She's more folk rock than anything else.

And it's not about the melanin it's about the soul/feel.

She works because she is a good artist. I just don't think she is a blues artist. Yeah, I realized she's worked with guys like BB, but that's the novelty of someone like her. All I know is that I've been going to old school blues clubs since I was 6 or 7(back with my grandma) and I'm 99% positive Bonnie was not on the playlist, unless it was a duet with someone else.

Mick Jagger and Hank Jr. put out some pretty good blues music over the years but that doesn't make them blues singers.

7 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

I understand Bonnie Raitt is a talented singer. But she is as much as a blues singer as I am pro bowl left tackle in the NFL. Somebody is lying.

I disagree.

But, in the spirit of reciprocity... I love Brandi Carlile, but the only Grammy win that fit for her yesterday was the victory in "Best Americana Album".

I don't think her amazing talents and performances count as "rock", but looking at the other nominees across the "performance" and "song" over the past few years I obviously don't know what "rock" is anymore.

(wanders aimlessly over to appropriate thread)

On 2/6/2023 at 2:32 AM, Superhero said:

My wife has a college friend whose life is a complete wreck. One of her feet started hurting about 4 years ago, and her health just went into a nosedive.

When she went to the podiatrist, the elevator door malfunctioned and her crushed other foot. At first she was still able to get around on crutches, but something else happened and the only way for her to get around was to crawl. Somehow that caused vertigo so she even stopped doing that.

Her husband's a piece of shit who isn't taking care of her or their kid (currently in kinder). He's not out drinking or whoring around, but he's completely checked out of his marriage and responsibility as a dad, leaving the kid doing whatever until after midnight. The kid hardly spent any time outdoors until he went to TK because mom couldn't leave the house, and dad didn't want to take him either.

Wife's friend thinks she's a terrible mother, and tries to do stuff for the kid, but any time she tries to do something, she gets hurt even more. When my wife visited her today, her friend was wearing a neck brace because she mysteriously injured it, her right hand was hurting, she wore depends because her POS husband isn't around to take her to the toilet, and she shaved her because there's no way for her to reach up and wash.

In the past year, she moved in with her dad because she needed to focus on her health, and not be weighed down with worry and depression. But her dad is also a POS and not taking care of her daughter. Her in-laws are in town, and will take care of the kid only if needed, but aren't thrilled with him spending any more time with him.

Also, my wife comes from a family of hoarders, so she knows clutter. So when she said she couldn't stand the clutter at her friend's house, I can't even imagine what that looks like.

Anyway, my unsolicited advice, if I saw her, would be to get herself to a place where she could recover, do some physical and emotional therapy, and go back to being a great mom after she's healthy. I'd also be tempted to just call CPS and have the kid taken away. I know it sounds terrible, but not having to worry about taking care of the kid 24/7 might give her time to heal her body, or at least not make it worse. I don't know what happens to a kid once CPS steps in, so I'm just spitballing here, but a few months/years in a foster home might even be better than seeing his mom like this and dad not giving a shit. But what do I know, I'm just a judgmental asshole who thinks my shit doesn't stink.

(sorry)

Edited by ztejas

What a great sports weekend in phoenix coming up. How much fun would it to be to goto the Waste Management on Friday and Saturday, and then the SB on Sunday. I bet hotels are crazy expensive.

Last time this happened was 2008. It’s insane here when this happens.

My buddy with a bunch of VRBOs in scottsdale is getting ~15k/week each this week.
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 6:13 PM, Brothahorn said:

Nah, if I was going to pick something like that I would go with her gender. The woman just can't sing like that, though. But, considering there aren't that many white women blues singers, that definitely makes her a novelty and gives her a boost. There are plenty of less melanated people that are good blues artists. Bonnie just ain't one of them. She's more folk rock than anything else.

And it's not about the melanin it's about the soul/feel.

She works because she is a good artist. I just don't think she is a blues artist. Yeah, I realized she's worked with guys like BB, but that's the novelty of someone like her. All I know is that I've been going to old school blues clubs since I was 6 or 7(back with my grandma) and I'm 99% positive Bonnie was not on the playlist, unless it was a duet with someone else.

Mick Jagger and Hank Jr. put out some pretty good blues music over the years but that doesn't make them blues singers.

You should quit while you are behind because you have no idea what you are talking about.

On 2/6/2023 at 12:32 AM, Superhero said:

When she went to the podiatrist, the elevator door malfunctioned and her crushed other foot.

wait, she crushed her other foot in the elevator at the podiatrists office? 

not to be an asshole, but this kind of sounds like Munchhausen's.

Thats a HELL of a coincidence.

Really...?
You have no idea my taste in music but you listed Hank Jr. ??????
Get a clue.
Follow your own advice and also learn how to read. I used Hank as an example of a artist who has done blues music but is not a blues artist. Which is what I said about Bonnie. Whether you liked his music or not, that is a factual statement.

And if you think Bonnie Raitt is a blues artist, I have very good idea of your taste in music.

Just now, closetohumping said:

Everytime I take or pickup my daughter I see a line of cars with parents waiting to pick up their kids. There’s no buses out here.   Not sure what it’s worth but being able to walk my daughter to and from school saves me at least an hour a day

We must live in the same hood. Rain, shine, hot, cold, we walk both ways. Only exception is if one of us is going somewhere at the same time the kid is leaving then they can ride over.

The walk is literally 8-10 minutes. We see other parents on our way that live even closer who will drive when it's too cold or wet. I don't get it.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

We must live in the same hood. Rain, shine, hot, cold, we walk both ways. Only exception is if one of us is going somewhere at the same time the kid is leaving then they can ride over.

The walk is literally 8-10 minutes. We see other parents on our way that live even closer who will drive when it's too cold or wet. I don't get it.

Are you in SoCal?    I can’t sit in lines like that twice a day.  I’d hurt some parents at some point.   Lucky win for me as it wasn’t a must have initially