Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

1 hour ago, Kennythetiger said:

Food snob goes to Outback for free food and then complains about the free food…. 
I don’t think my mother-in-law moved to West Virginia but every dog has his day…. 

Once a month prior to the pandemic we three brothers with our wives would meet for a dinner. We rotated who would choose which restaurant. That occasion was oldest brother’s turn, and half the time he chose the Outback because it was just 5 minutes from his house. We always got separate checks.

So no, Mrs. Brat was not complaining about her “free food”. 
Sometimes it is best to not judge so quickly unless the rest of the story is evident.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Addendum:

Mrs. Brat is by no means a “food snob”. She has fairly simple tastes, but does expect her entre to be cooked the way she has chosen, as any dining patron would. I respect her choices because “happy wife, happy life”.

Maybe that’s one reason why we have been married for 55 years.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Once a month prior to the pandemic we three brothers with our wives would meet for a dinner. We rotated who would choose which restaurant. That occasion was oldest brother’s turn, and half the time he chose the Outback because it was just 5 minutes from his house. We always got separate checks.

Sometimes it is best to not judge so quickly unless the rest of the story is evident.

Army, I quoted WhatTheBuck and his story about free shrimp at Outback. The rest of the story was indeed evident. 

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Seperate checks?   Gross

9 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Glad you’re A great tipper.   Most servers hate separate checks

Heh, my late DIL worked at Chuy’s & Shady Grove for 15 years (server, bartender, assistant manager) and my granddaughter was a server/bartender at a Lubbock sports bar/hash house for 8 years.
Plus Mrs. Brat waited tables one summer at a western saloon in Wimberly in 1965, so we do have a little insight and empathy.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

I am by no means a good cook of steak, but I have perfected seasoning and cooking style for my own taste. Every now and then when we go out to eat, I think “By god I am going to order the bone-in ribeye.”  Couple bites in and I remember that I should have ordered the lamb, or something else unusual instead. 

This. Reverse searing a ribeye on sale from Kroger for $7 a pound taste alot better than what you're going to get at any chain -type steak house.

39 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Any restaurant where the Head Chef is a microwave is questionable.

irI have a buddy that's a VP for Ben E Keith foods. He used to invite me to their food shows. Years ago I went to one and a meat company offered a sample of ribs that were precooked and sealed in Cryovac. The rep said to just pop them in a microwave and cut them out of the package to serve. I went to Outback a few months later and swear they served exact same ribs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

I am by no means a good cook of steak, but I have perfected seasoning and cooking style for my own taste. Every now and then when we go out to eat, I think “By god I am going to order the bone-in ribeye.”  Couple bites in and I remember that I should have ordered the lamb, or something else unusual instead. 

I got a pellet smoker a year ago and have perfected (for my taste) the art of reverse-searing steak to the recipient’s preferred doneness. And the butcher-cut ribeyes or filets I’ve been making are better than just about any steak I’ve ever had at any level steakhouse. I can even smoke my wife’s filet to her blasphemous medium well preference (impossible to do on a grill without butterflying it).

The last couple of times I’ve been at even a high quality place I’ve been disappointed. Dakota’s in Tyler, Ruth’s Chris in Dallas, Taste of Texas in Houston have actually been disappointments recently, when B.S. (before smoker), they were all highly anticipated and appreciated. 

So I agree to your approach. I don’t think I’m ordering steak out anymore. I’ll save some money and order a salad. 

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

This. Reverse searing a ribeye on sale from Kroger for $7 a pound taste alot better than what you're going to get at any chain -type steak house.

Um, not if you are shooting a little higher than Black Angus or Outback.  Although 

spacer.png

8 hours ago, Armybrat said:

A) I do not ever tell my wife of 55 years what she can like or not.

B) I wasn’t my choice - we were invited by my older brother who liked the joint. We never went there otherwise. and still don’t

C) I don’t know and don’t care. If she likes it that way, that’s her business. When I grill steaks at home, she gets it medium at the most, sometimes medium rare. She just doesn’t like it bloody.

That Outback steak was deep purple and barely warm in the center… and bleeding like a vagina.

Hope that clears things up to your satisfaction.

Tell her it’s not blood, it’s myoglobin. It’s a protein. When they butcher an animal, they drain out the blood. Not that it will make a difference. But it’s not blood.

8 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

Food snob goes to Outback for free food and then complains about the free food…. 
I don’t think my mother-in-law moved to West Virginia but every dog has his day…. 

The beer was fine. If I had paid for the shrimp then I would’ve gotten ripped off. I went there on a lark because I like shrimp. Outback - shrimp - get it?

With this heat, been thinking about climate change. I'm of the opinion that as an individual, I can make about 0.00000000000000000000001% impact on it. It's like paying extra to pay off the national debt. Real change has to come from higher up the food chain.

That said, it would be hypocritical to bitch about it and then do nothing. So say I were to get a more fuel efficient auto. Would that actually be a net benefit? Or would the energy and resources it takes to create another automobile be more than what I would use driving a 10-year old light-duty truck 5,000 miles a year?

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Lol….tell a woman that!

I get it. And I understand food hangups. And after a certain age, people don’t change.

Here’s the darndest thing. Before my father passed, we had a prime rib dinner at his place. My brother’s mail-order bride could eat the pink meat. My dad sliced it on a wooden cutting board with a groove around the edge where the pink juices collected. She freaked out when my brother and I were soaking it up with bread and eating it. Wtf, woman? Tried to explain it to her, she couldn’t understand. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

With this heat, been thinking about climate change. I'm of the opinion that as an individual, I can make about 0.00000000000000000000001% impact on it. It's like paying extra to pay off the national debt. Real change has to come from higher up the food chain.

That said, it would be hypocritical to bitch about it and then do nothing. So say I were to get a more fuel efficient auto. Would that actually be a net benefit? Or would the energy and resources it takes to create another automobile be more than what I would use driving a 10-year old light-duty truck 5,000 miles a year?

Here you go.  Let's say your truck is at half life, and is used less than normal but is less efficient than normal, the comparison of total CO2 output for the next ~7 years is in the red box.

image.png.d56631a7a410d931af7f7bfdd452031e.png

This includes both manufacturing phase and actual usage.  Methodology uses real life collected data for mileage driven, current energy grid composition (i.e. includes coal and gas), and realistic comparable vehicle (in this case 24mpg car, so a BMW 340 or similar). 

https://www.tesla.com/ns_videos/2021-tesla-impact-report.pdf

And if people don't like it coming from an industry source, here's one from the EPA: https://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/electric-vehicle-myths

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Here you go.  Let's say your truck is at half life, and is used less than normal but is less efficient than normal, the comparison of total CO2 output for the next ~7 years is in the red box.

image.png.d56631a7a410d931af7f7bfdd452031e.png

This includes both manufacturing phase and actual usage.  Methodology uses real life collected data for mileage driven, current energy grid composition (i.e. includes coal and gas), and realistic comparable vehicle (in this case 24mpg car, so a BMW 340 or similar). 

https://www.tesla.com/ns_videos/2021-tesla-impact-report.pdf

And if people don't like it coming from an industry source, here's one from the EPA: https://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/electric-vehicle-myths

I have literally no idea what I am looking at here.

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I have literally no idea what I am looking at here.

how much CO2 will be pumped out from your operating a vehicle.  whether it's CO2 emitted directly from the car when burning petrol, or CO2 emitted at the power plant generating electricity for the electric car.

if you are comparing 1 combustion car vs another, there is a direct inverse linear relationship between CO2 emissions and fuel efficiency (8900g CO2/gallon).  If 1 car is twice as efficient, it will output half as much CO2.

Jerry Hall is divorcing Rupert Murdoch?  Who the fuck knew they were married???? I sure di-int!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61904095

• Jerry probably exhausted her Mick money.
  • Plus, she wasn't a poorz, her modeling gave her a big bankroll.
  • They tied the knot in 2016(? Who knew?).

Still, I guess a buck ain't worth what it used to be, so she got some of that Murdoch billon$ money?  Weirdest thing I've seen in awhile.  

If you knew, you're a better human being than me and deserve to be worshiped and treated as a lifelong demigod despotic ruler.  But I didn't know... wowzers.

Why, in music videos both old and new, do the producers shows 2 seconds of barely clothed, beautiful women bumping and grinding and then switch to 20 seconds of the band members playing and singing? I don't care what the band looks like while they play.  

I just dropped some dry cleaning and the guy there still remembers my name.

I haven’t been there for over 2 years, and I wouldn’t call myself a frequent customer, maybe gone there maybe 10 times at most.

I can’t even remember the name and face or someone I met 30 minutes ago.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Horn_Spanker said:

Tried oat milk.  Not bad, but not very good either.  At least my colon didn't blow out with a bowl of cereal.

I like it. Maybe not as good as the milk we usually get, but still a good source of calcium and the benefits of eating oatmeal.

I had a glass of oat milk for breakfast today and didn’t feel hungry until noon or so. 

11 hours ago, Superhero said:

I just dropped some dry cleaning and the guy there still remembers my name.

I haven’t been there for over 2 years, and I wouldn’t call myself a frequent customer, maybe gone there maybe 10 times at most.

I can’t even remember the name and face or someone I met 30 minutes ago.

Dry cleaners are an endangered species. Business casual was taking over the world before C19, and the pandemic only hastened the end of pressed clothes for work. I used to get clothes cleaned every week. Now it’s once every 3 months or so. 

• Hook 'Em 1