Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

I’m not as militant about recycling as I used to be.  I used to go out of my way to find a recycling bin but now if one isn’t really insight the can goes in the trash 

East Texas doesn't give a fuck about recycling.  My town even took away curbside collection AND increased our solid waste fee $5/month.  You have to haul (the few accepted items they accept) to the Solid Waste Annex.

I still make an effort, but...some shit just ain't worth dealing with.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

And Supertramp got their name from the title of late Welsh poet, W.H. Davies' book: The Autobiography of a Super-Tramp.

And Christopher McCandless, the subject of "Into the Wild", self glossed himself Alexander Supertramp.

Dunno if he liked that band, but Eddie Veddar did songs for the movie.

The legend goes that it was selected by randomly opening a dictionary or encyclopedia. They used to call themselves The Warlocks but then heard that there was another band with that same name. There is some question of whether or not that’s true. They may have been mistaken. But reportedly Jerry Garcia latched onto this name on a randomly selected page of a book, embracing the folklore. It’s certainly challenging and controversial.

It’s funny because, when I first heard they were an acid rock band, I assumed that meant they played really hard heavy metal. Then when I heard them (and knew it) I thought, “Shit, this is country!” Then I dropped acid and went to a show and my life, and my whole view of music, changed.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/grateful-dead-folklore

grateful dead, in folktales of many cultures, the spirit of a deceased person who bestows benefits on the one responsible for his burial. In the prototypical story, the protagonist is a traveler who encounters the corpse of a debtor, to whom the honour of proper burial has been denied. After the traveler satisfies the debt, or, in some versions, pays for the burial, he goes on his way. In another version of the story, burial is prescribed for religious reasons but prohibited by civil authorities. It is this version that forms the theme of the apocryphal Book of Tobit in the Old Testament.

394DF886-C0CC-4599-9A0B-32DD7DEAFA7C.jpeg.e3d946c57c145132b1f679fa1b77b6d4.jpeg

I’m not as militant about recycling as I used to be.  I used to go out of my way to find a recycling bin but now if one isn’t really insight the can goes in the trash 

If you’re in Austin, it doesn’t matter. We don’t have our own recycling facility, so, all our recycling is shipped to San Antonio when there’s capacity available in their recycling center. The 80% of the time when there’s no capacity, it goes to the landfill. It’s surprising how the City gets away with this but I guess since few people seem to know about it, they have no incentive to actually be green.

On 5/25/2022 at 8:12 AM, Mrs Whiggins said:

They are often called chameleons, but true chameleons are a different species. The anoles in our garden are most often found with the green color but when they're upset, they are brown. Years ago, I did see one take on a blue tinge on the equipment at the playground while the children were running around. In Texas, the green anole are becoming endangered by an invasive species, the brown anole, from Florida (of course).

(when my children were small and when they asked questions, we would go look up stuff. I love science and nature and curious children).

We also have geckos and skinks in our yard. Skink is a fun word to say.

Skank is a fun word to say and do.

17 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Someone, other than me, should start a thread about bad decisions you have made.

Lulz. I’ve considered doing that just about missed opportunities with women I’ve had over the years. I did okay but man, I really made some huge mistakes along the way.

I'm short, about 5'8", and my feet are on the edge of the bed when I'm laying flat. Granted this is a regular king sized bed with an extra decorative pillow at the top of the bed.

So how do people who are 6'2" or more fit on a bed? Buy a Cal King? But what if there's only room for a queen sized bed?

23 minutes ago, Superhero said:

I'm short, about 5'8", and my feet are on the edge of the bed when I'm laying flat. Granted this is a regular king sized bed with an extra decorative pillow at the top of the bed.

So how do people who are 6'2" or more fit on a bed? Buy a Cal King? But what if there's only room for a queen sized bed?

Yeah no decorative pillows, just the ones I sleep with. Sleep in my side with a slight knee bend or with my feet hanging off the bed a little (no footboards).

I’m the shortest guy in my family on my dad’s side.  Tallest is 6’5, none of us have California Kings.

• Hook 'Em 1

6-2. No issues here. Sounds like your fancy pillows take up too much real estate. NTTIAWWT, Nancy.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Lulz. I’ve considered doing that just about missed opportunities with women I’ve had over the years. I did okay but man, I really made some huge mistakes along the way.

I’m pretty sure this is the human condition for almost all the straight guys on this thread.

And the ones who say different are liars 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, tbone_ said:

6-2. No issues here. Sounds like your fancy pillows take up too much real estate. NTTIAWWT, Nancy.

C'mon dude, you were married before. Don't tell me you've never had decorative pillows on your bed, because I call bs.

The pillows don't serve any function other than to take up real estate, but damn they're pretty.

6 hours ago, Sleep off ugly said:

I’m pretty sure this is the human condition for almost all the straight guys on this thread.

And the ones who say different are liars 

Your standards and interests are different at different points in your life. Judging your past self on what your current self would be into or willing to pursue is silly.

That said man I was fucking stupid... 

C'mon dude, you were married before. Don't tell me you've never had decorative pillows on your bed, because I call bs.
The pillows don't serve any function other than to take up real estate, but damn they're pretty.

I was just giving you shit.

Yes at one point I counted 17.

But you have to put them in the floor when it’s time to sleep so your feet don’t hang off the bed.

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

But you have to put them in the floor when it’s time to sleep so your feet don’t hang off the bed.

This, either she “unmakes” the bed before I get in there (not typically an issue as she goes to bed early) where she stacks them all on a chair and bench or I throw them on her side of the floor with reckless abandon. The only time I might nicely put them away is if I’m first in bed and I think there is a chance for sex (so not often).

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, DaysOff said:

How can so many "classy" people manage to piss on the floor of the first class lavatory? I realize the space is small, but the hole you're aiming at is standard size. Bloody savages. Fuck.

They must not be leaning forward with a hand on the wall to get a better angle. 

• Haha 1

Have had corn on the cob for a couple of meals lately and sometimes forget how damn good it is.   Need to add it to the rotation for dinner more often.  

Wife and I started grilled corn on the cob (replace Mac & cheese) with burgers on Friday as the splurge day. Grilled corn in husk, beer steamed…. Awesome!
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Underdog said:

Have had corn on the cob for a couple of meals lately and sometimes forget how damn good it is.   Need to add it to the rotation for dinner more often.  

Same. It’s just so good 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DaysOff said:

How can so many "classy" people manage to piss on the floor of the first class lavatory? I realize the space is small, but the hole you're aiming at is standard size. Bloody savages. Fuck.

Just wait until you get old enough to go to a urologist for prostate problems. No one can hit the urinal. Its kind of like this: 

Slippery-Surfaces.jpg

• Haha 1

You made a lot of money, spend it however you please.  But don't buy a car just because you think it will let the guy next to you, who you will never see again, think that you're rich.  I see so many crossover vehicles, particularly Lexus and BMW, that look like Toyotas or Hondas.  

Before anyone gets triggered, I definitely have acquaintances that will not drive Hyundais even when they know they have better value, as well as folks who will purchase a Mercedes or Land Rover even knowing the future repair costs.

26 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

You made a lot of money, spend it however you please.  But don't buy a car just because you think it will let the guy next to you, who you will never see again, think that you're rich.  I see so many crossover vehicles, particularly Lexus and BMW, that look like Toyotas or Hondas.  

Before anyone gets triggered, I definitely have acquaintances that will not drive Hyundais even when they know they have better value, as well as folks who will purchase a Mercedes or Land Rover even knowing the future repair costs.

200.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/30/2022 at 11:57 PM, Superhero said:

I can book a hotel in Costa Rica, but can't order a wet mop from Kohl's without Chase declining the transaction and sending me a fraud alert. 

BTW, I ordered the Tineco iFloor 3 and it is awesome.  I don't mind cleaning everything else, but LOATHE mopping the floor. This thing works like a stick vac, is self-propelled (because of the roller), and you really see the level of dirt that's coming off your floors.

https://store.tineco.com/products/tineco-ifloor-3-wet-dry-vacuum-cleaner?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnNyUBhCZARIsAI9AYlFH2LyjK8ZbDEBHvYUkj28WnH0d-sTGdA-oR8X_YXvkaQuyeh_onLEaAjOtEALw_wcB

I reluctantly post this here, as I feel it may deserve its own thread, but my gas is at chemical weapons grade levels. I had a brisket sandwich for lunch and then stopped in Edna for a #4 on the way to Fulton for the weekend. By the way, what the fuck is wrong with you Edna Whataburger? They were out of fucking napkins. Handing out paper towels from rolls that go in the bathroom dispensers. Anyways, my gas is awful right now. Kind of proud, kind of ashamed.

• Haha 1