Buttigieg/Secretary of Transportation Thread

Hank Kingsley

5 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Oh exceptionally intelligent. The person that can make their point without having to yell at the top of their lungs is the person I would like to see lead this country. 

I have a boss right now that is just awesome. I was talking to a co-worker and the way I described our boss was he never has to tell you he’s in charge. He’s confident in who he is as a person and that rubs off on people. I see the same qualities in Buttigieg. He can lead and set the example and do so while being mild-mannered throughout.

When he first came on the scene, I read a story about him.  His parents were both Professors at Notre Dame.  His father is from Malta.  He was known to speak several languages; a half-dozen by some accounts.

So, here's the story.   A prominent South Bend newspaperwoman was having lunch with a friend in a South Bend restaurant.  Mayor Pete happened to walk by their table and stopped to say hello.  He was, of course, acquainted with the newswoman.  She says hello, and introduces her friend, her old college roomie, who was from Norway.  Pete immediately starts chatting up the roomie in Norwegian. 

The newswoman, who knew Pete's background well, basically says "motherfucker, you have no connection whatsoever to Norway, how do you speak the language?"

Pete explains that he came upon a great book from a Norwegian author, and he enjoyed it so much he sought out more works from the same guy. But, he found that only the book he had already read had been translated into English. So, he fucking learned a new, exotic language so he could read a few books. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

7 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

When he first came on the scene, I read a story about him.  His parents were both Professors at Notre Dame.  His father is from Malta.  He was known to speak several languages; a half-dozen by some accounts.

So, here's the story.   A prominent South Bend newspaperwoman was having lunch with a friend in a South Bend restaurant.  Mayor Pete happened to walk by their table and stopped to say hello.  He was, of course, acquainted with the newswoman.  She says hello, and introduces her friend, her old college roomie, who was from Norway.  Pete immediately starts chatting up the roomie in Norwegian. 

The newswoman, who knew Pete's background well, basically says "motherfucker, you have no connection whatsoever to Norway, how do you speak the language?"

Pete explains that he came upon a great book from a Norwegian author, and he enjoyed it so much he sought out more works from the same guy. But, he found that only the book he had already read had been translated into English. So, he fucking learned a new, exotic language so he could read a few books. 

Our last president could not read the literary works of Dr. Seuss.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

From The Atlantic

One important key to the myth that tends to be built up around polyglots is the vaporous quality of numbers of languages. How many languages can Buttigieg actually speak? His campaign confirmed eight when I reached out: English, Norwegian, Spanish, French, Italian, Maltese, Arabic, and Dari. A specific count of languages, though, can also be an unreliable credential for any polyglot, because a language isn’t a defined unit of measure.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/04/pete-buttigiegs-polygot-magic/588169/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Unfortunately that’s a negative to 40% of the country.

So much this.  I just...god dammit.  All the talk on this thread of how he keeps his cool and is able to complete a rational message despite being interviewed by a pot of soup just doesn't matter.  

18 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

So much this.  I just...god dammit.  All the talk on this thread of how he keeps his cool and is able to complete a rational message despite being interviewed by a pot of soup just doesn't matter.  

Being upset about it probably accomplishes little. You just do what you can in your own life to change things and that’s it. We all get one shot at life. I have no desire to argue with these folks or put them down. If they want to live a life filled with hatred for others and be miserable then by all means let ‘em have at it. When you feel angry and upset about things done by these folks it just pulls you into their world where they feel comfort in a really disastrous construct. 

I am still glad though that there are decent human beings like Buttigieg out there. He is using the platform he has to do as much good as possible and in most cases his work is helping those who hate him whether they realize it or not. That’s a true public servant in my opinion.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 3

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2022 at 1:10 PM, Gil Bang said:

you don't understand why Secretary Pete? of course you do, they are hateful mother fuckers. hateful assholes. they deserve to be shamed and silenced.

actually came to see what folks thought of the CA gasoline new car ban in 2035.  wowzers.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, troph said:

you don't understand why Secretary Pete? of course you do, they are hateful mother fuckers. hateful assholes. they deserve to be shamed and silenced.

actually came to see what folks thought of the CA gasoline new car ban in 2035.  wowzers.

I know, right? like there will be civilization in 2035. lol, sunshine pumper!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Not just  the cops but the homies you gotta watch.

I wouldn’t say that 46 degrees is “deeply chilling.” Not in Ohio, certainly not in Minnesota. (I wonder what they sculpt in Wisconsin. I’m sure the folks in the dairy state are on the ball.)

https://www.dairyherd.com/news/education/record-breaking-butter-display-unveiled-ohio-state-fair

The 2022 Ohio State Fair in Columbus debuted more than 2,500 lbs. of butter that features 10 life-size sculptures of kids and animals, including the iconic butter cow, a goat and a pig. This is the fair’s largest butter display to date and the first butter displayed in two years.

The butter sculptures are maintained in a 46°F temperature case and more than 600 hours went into creating this year’s creation. 

1B15C12C-88FA-4146-BC85-B8052936BE6C.thumb.png.955982575e4dba073dbf882dc32d8e24.png

AC8B689B-701C-4997-9FE5-70CAE65559D1.png.7fe74c7f397b8a506389cdd439e3475c.png

22 minutes ago, troph said:

Part of me understands why it is a big deal, but the car companies themselves -- including stodgy GM --  already announced that sort of transition last year:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/28/business/gm-zero-emission-vehicles.html
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/13/gm-ford-are-all-in-on-evs-heres-how-dealers-feel-about-it-.html

Honda has said it's going EV as well.

• 3 months later...
55 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Doesn't the bill that passed the house have 7 paid sick leave days? If that's correct, will it pass the senate?

Two separate bills. The paid leave bill is looking DOA in the Senate. I don’t see a road to 60. We have seen this before. 

I wonder if we will see a Wildcat strike by the members who voted against ratification. If that happens, it’s going to get ugly.

11 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

A bit harsh — and in light of the treasonous scum playing for keeps on the red team, there are bigger problems — but this is 100% shitlib gaslighting by the former Mayor of South Bend, Indiana. 

The deal struck was subject to ratification. 4 of 12 unions didn’t ratify the deal. Not exactly a resounding rejection by labor.  And it’s not like the unions didn’t get any concessions in the negotiations. I think Congress won’t let a strike happen here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

The deal struck was subject to ratification. 4 of 12 unions didn’t ratify the deal. Not exactly a resounding rejection by labor.  And it’s not like the unions didn’t get any concessions in the negotiations. I think Congress won’t let a strike happen here. 

I hope you’re right. I don’t know what the Republicans in the Senate are planning but I don’t trust them. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Red Five said:

"Explain yourself, Secretary Mayor Pete!"

"There is no need for me to do so, and here are all the reasons why."

"Sure. Ok, moving on."

Man, an apology is probably in order after that.  

You think a victim is going to offer an apology to the guy who just murdered him? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Pete really need to teach classes on answering stupid faux political questions 

This, he needs to have seminars for D and make them Go to Fox News shows and keep the attack going, he shouldn’t have stopped there and kept on going after him, make him kneel

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I still think he would be a fantastic presidential candidate if Biden doesn’t run in 24. Unfortunately progressives will attack him for being a white guy. 

Would love for him to run. I just don't think there are enough middle of the road folks who will vote for a gay president, which is very sad. 

• Like 3
  • Rage+1 1