Buttigieg/Secretary of Transportation Thread

Hank Kingsley

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2023 at 7:09 AM, Incredulity said:

obligatory

Matt Ufford on Twitter: "@TaskandPurpose "You've lost *another* submarine?"  https://t.co/k4Yu5S0Kv3" / Twitter

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/bnsf-train-derails-on-swinomish-reservation-in-anacortes-area/

A freight train derailed early Thursday on the Swinomish Reservation in the Anacortes area. (Washington Department of Ecology)

AND

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/16/1163868133/train-derailment-arizona-corn-syrup

A train carrying corn syrup derails in Arizona

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Flipboard
  • Email
March 16, 202310:17 AM ET

gettyimages-1423407539_wide-22b79644af06

A BNSF engine is pictured in Chicago in 2022. A train operated by BNSF carrying corn syrup derailed in Arizona Wednesday.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

It really does not get a more clear than this. Democrats what to make life easier. Republicans want to make life harder.

They really need to throw shit ton of $ at him and make him the dem talking strategists and feed the dems on talking points daily. He seems one of the few who knows how to communicate these points 

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, Gengs1 said:

They really need to throw shit ton of $ at him and make him the dem talking strategists and feed the dems on talking points daily. He seems one of the few who knows how to communicate these points 

And, he gets on Fox News.

• 3 months later...
12 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Wow actual governing. Refreshing.

i don't know anything about burchett, but i will give him the benefit of the doubt, and assume the mention of "gotcha" question comment was to placate the morons on his team.  i think he's actually curious and cares about the content of the questions he asked, and barring availability, i would be pretty surprised if pete didn't handle this personally.  maybe not face to face, but pete will follow through on it, and probably fulfill a low-end congressman's expectations x10.

imagine a cabinet member from trump's term actually answering a question like that.  i can't.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i don't know anything about burchett, but i will give him the benefit of the doubt, and assume the mention of "gotcha" question comment was to placate the morons on his team.  i think he's actually curious and cares about the content of the questions he asked, and barring availability, i would be pretty surprised if pete didn't handle this personally.  maybe not face to face, but pete will follow through on it, and probably fulfill a low-end congressman's expectations x10.

imagine a cabinet member from trump's term actually answering a question like that.  i can't.

Before they can answer, they have to actually show up for the question. Imagine a cabinet member from Trump’s term just doing that. 

10 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Before they can answer, they have to actually show up for the question. Imagine a cabinet member from Trump’s term just doing that. 

getting them in front of microphones wasn't the problem (though never by subpoena, god no).  i saw clowns like navarro get interviewed plenty of times, and all they would do was ignore the question and filibuster with their nonsensical talking points.  but to be fair, when you're not qualified for the job you've been appointed to and have no background or basis in it, it doesn't really matter if you stay on topic or not.

back to pete for a brief moment - i still find it amusing that the gop either (a) thinks he's not qualified for this job or (b) is somehow taking advantage of all the perks.  yes, i know they try to take cheap shots at anyone who poses a threat, and pete definitely does that.  but to think a guy like this is not qualified is laughable.  even if he wasn't at all when appointed, it would take him a long weekend to get up to speed.

i saw him twice in person back in 2020, and he used to take 10-15 min at the end of each speech and open the floor to questions about literally anything - sometimes not even campaign related.  people asked him really random shit and got real in the weeds with the history and nuance of thousand year old conflicts in the middle east and how it affects blah blah with the economy in india and the blah blah in russia and he would go off like he was a professor in whatever subject the question was.  and then he would pivot to something about art or music or poetry.  it was pretty remarkable.

sadly, he's probably wasted in govt and it sucks he'll never have a real shot at the big chair.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Pete would come off really well on a debate stage with Dotard. I mean really well. And would make Dotard look like a crazy old idiot.

Well, on Earth 1 anyway. No telling what that would look like to the people who would still consider voting for Mr. 91 felony counts. 

19 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

sadly, he's probably wasted in govt and it sucks he'll never have a real shot at the big chair.

I don't think this part is true.  At least, I really hope not.  He should try again in 2028.  A lot of Gen Z will be getting to the age where they actually start to pay more attention (late 20s/early 30s?) and I think he could pull a lot of reasonable people, assuming dotard is dead.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Pete would come off really well on a debate stage with Dotard. I mean really well. And would make Dotard look like a crazy old idiot.

Well, on Earth 1 anyway. No telling what that would look like to the people who would still consider voting for Mr. 91 felony counts. 

people who like trump are afraid of smart people.  it would be a frustrating mess.

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don't think this part is true.  At least, I really hope not.  He should try again in 2028.  A lot of Gen Z will be getting to the age where they actually start to pay more attention (late 20s/early 30s?) and I think he could pull a lot of reasonable people, assuming dotard is dead.

i hope you're right.  i want to believe.  the question will always be "can he get black people to vote for him and support him" and i don't know the answer to that.  his polling from 2020 doesn't really mean shit 8 years later, but people will insist that it does.

i wouldn't really worry about him in a general, as he'll wipe the floor with anyone from the right in a direct comparison.  it's whether he can get through the primaries.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Newsome - Buttigieg ticket

fox news makes it tough for anyone from ca to win nationally.  i think the rust belt is the key to the electoral math, as biden has shown.  i would lean towards josh shapiro instead.  not sure who are considered the top women right now - maybe whitmer, who's also from that region which is good.  do we have a thread about the dem bench?  i feel like that's probably a job for @Js1

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

fox news makes it tough for anyone from ca to win nationally.  i think the rust belt is the key to the electoral math, as biden has shown.  i would lean towards josh shapiro instead.  not sure who are considered the top women right now - maybe whitmer, who's also from that region which is good.  do we have a thread about the dem bench?  i feel like that's probably a job for @Js1

We don’t. But yes - Whitmer, Shapiro, Pritzker, Hochul, Newsom, Hobbs, Polis, Pete, Kamala, Warnock. The bench is deep af 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i hope you're right.  i want to believe.  the question will always be "can he get black people to vote for him and support him" and i don't know the answer to that.  his polling from 2020 doesn't really mean shit 8 years later, but people will insist that it does.

i wouldn't really worry about him in a general, as he'll wipe the floor with anyone from the right in a direct comparison.  it's whether he can get through the primaries.  

Literally nobody on earth could do this. Christ resurrected might win a 53/47 general. 

5 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Don’t forget Governor Moore of Maryland.

Shit I could keep going

Moore, Beshear (if he wins again this year, watch out, because he would be a very good VP pick for someone like Harris/Whitmer as a Southerner twice elected in a red state), Cooper, Healey, Grisham

Booker, Klobuchar, Mark Kelly, Ossoff down the line

Watch out for the up and comers: Slotkin (if she wins in Michigan), Alsobrooks (if she wins in Maryland), Porter (if she wins in California)

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Literally nobody on earth could do this. Christ resurrected might win a 53/47 general. 

i said a direct comparison.  he'll look like the president when compared to anyone the right would be putting up.

also a 6 point win in the general is a 9mm+ vote victory.  not sure what wiping the floor is, but we're approaching that territory.  the electoral count wasn't particularly close either (it's a blowout if you ask trump).  biden should win by 10-12mm in the popular vote next year.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

I'm a little more optimistic on that front than you.  He's got another 20 years of serving in various capacities that he could use as a springboard and Biden should be proof positive that if you hang around Washington long enough you can build sufficient support for a winning campaign.   

57 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

I actually starting writing about this and elected to not go there, but you're absolutely right.  The African American intolerance for LGBT likely means he needs to replace a few of their votes with those from another group. 

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Pete’s a statesman. He gives off New Deal Democrat (minus the racism) vibes.

There’s a difference in character and substance. It’s the nature of his job now, but even on the campaign trail he didn’t seem to get in the muck of identity politics. He seemed to rise above culture issues even when he’d wade into those subjects.

Most of the members of congress are grifters and cynical politicians.

No substance. Very little character. Myopic. 

It’s a shame he’ll never be president bc black voters don’t like gays.

He’d be an amazing one IMO.

Pete is easily. By far. Hands down the most impressive politician who has come up in the last decade, at least. If not longer.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I would argue in my remembered lifetime, which is basically since Bush Sr.

As a politician, Bill Clinton was the greatest in our lifetime. Clinton beat him head to head..... and the playoff committee weighs that heavily in Clinton's favor.

As an accomplished statesman, Bush Sr. was the greatest in a generation. The way his administration handled the falling of the wall and the collapse of the Soviet Union and Desert Storm is a master class in foreign policy. Were there misses? Yes. Was there luck? Yes. But very few if any admins could have handled that as well as they did IMO.

And then his son went and fucked it all up. Crazy weird turn of events.

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

As a politician, Bill Clinton was the greatest in our lifetime. Clinton beat him head to head..... and the playoff committee weighs that heavily in Clinton's favor.

As an accomplished statesman, Bush Sr. was the greatest in a generation. The way his administration handled the falling of the wall and the collapse of the Soviet Union and Desert Storm is a master class in foreign policy. Were there misses? Yes. Was there luck? Yes. But very few if any admins could have handled that as well as they did IMO.

And then his son went and fucked it all up. Crazy weird turn of events.

He was saying he remembers Bush Sr. not that Bush Sr. was the bees knees.

There is no member of the current GOP, in any office at any level, with anywhere near the raw intellect of Buttigieg. 

Buttigieg could be president but he’d need a lot of help from prominent black people in Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Michigan.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 5

11 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

There is no member of the current GOP, in any office at any level, with anywhere near the raw intellect of Buttigieg. 

Buttigieg could be president but he’d need a lot of help from prominent black people in Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Michigan.

All paths are through Michelle Obama IMO.

He either runs with her endorsement and guarantee that she'll be his VP 

OR

He is her VP and after 8 years the torch is passed to him.

1 minute ago, Dnaguy said:

All paths are through Michelle Obama IMO.

He either runs with her endorsement and guarantee that she'll be his VP 

OR

He is her VP and after 8 years the torch is passed to him.

Michelle Obama would not survive the full campaign.  She would be assassinated well before she has the chance to be elected.  The violent right in this country went absolutely batshit because we elected a black man president.  They will NOT allow a black woman to take the office.  They will kill her before that can happen.  They have already gone full-terrorist, what on God's green earth makes you think they wouldn't keep doing so, and assassinate a racially inferior threat to Real Americans now?

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Michelle Obama would not survive the full campaign.  She would be assassinated well before she has the chance to be elected.  The violent right in this country went absolutely batshit because we elected a black man president.  They will NOT allow a black woman to take the office.  They will kill her before that can happen.  They have already gone full-terrorist, what on God's green earth makes you think they wouldn't keep doing so, and assassinate a racially inferior threat to Real Americans now?

The lexapro is keeping me as far off the ledge as you are.

The puppet masters / MAGA power brokers would try and incite this kind of thing, but the MAGA base is too dumb to pull it off IMO.

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Has something changed? Last I heard Michelle O wanted nothing to do with running for office. 

She does not. Doesn’t stop people from trying to wish it into existence. Leave her alone, she and Obama had more than enough and endured a lot of crap and should be left alone. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1