coffee / coffee makers

tx 3 putt

I'm ditching the Keurig, looking for recs for coffee makers and coffee. I stayed at a bnb last week and their drip coffee maker was much better than a keurig. 

Browsing $30 mr coffee's on amazon. 

recommend some coffee types too. thanks 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I'm ditching the Keurig, looking for recs for coffee makers and coffee. I stayed at a bnb last week and their drip coffee maker was much better than a keurig. 

Electric kettle, coffee grinder, French Press.  Nothing better.  Coffee types?  I'm a fan of Pete's french roast whole beans.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I've completely abandoned Keurig myself.  Not sure if it's subliminal or what, but I can taste the plastic.  Even in the refillable K-cups. 

I understand the pour-over / French press and fresh ground bean fans.  I agree.  It's fantastic.  But, I'm also more than fine with a standard drip style coffee maker 9 days out of 10.  I can pre-load it the night before.  Set the timer, and have it ready as I walk out the door in the morning.  That's as good as I can hope for on a standard weekday.  That's our go-to during the week.

I have a French press that I use when backpacking and a stovetop I use when camping.  Both are great for what they are.  I guess I just don't appreciate it enough or have enough time most mornings to justify anything more than that.

• Hook 'Em 2

I am a coffee nut. I’ve searched and researched the world for the right combination of beans and maker. For the quick morning brew where you use a maker and not something like a a chemex, I strongly suggest buying one that meets the official coffee making standard. 

I bought the Cuisinart and it’s awesome. See standards here. 

https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, milkman said:

This is the answer (at least for me).  We’ve had a Techivorm Moccamaster and  a Breville Precision Pro.  This makes great coffee, is quiet, and is easy to use.

Get a good burr grinder.  I’ve tried different ones, and recommend the Baratza Encore.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Electric kettle, coffee grinder, French Press.  Nothing better.  Coffee types?  I'm a fan of Pete's french roast whole beans.

this but Independence Jet Fuel (buy Texan, not that faggoty California Pete's bullshit (was that outloud?)).

• Hook 'Em 2

If I'm making two or more cups I use the chemex.  If it's just a cup for me I use a Melitta brew cone and their #2 filter  Same prcocess as a chemex but it drips right into your mug.  The melitta cone is also a good system for camping, with a portable hand grinder or a bag of pre-ground if you're a savage.  Water comes from a fancy electric kettle with a proper spout at home or a Jetboil canister with a rough pour when camping.  The brew cone is less than $4 at HEB.  

917tW987noL._AC_SX355_.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4Px5dGBP2iJexyiavFVj

I prefer my caffeine cold and bubbly so I do Diet Dr Pepper, but Mrs. Mo is a coffee queen. This is what she swears by. I make it every morning (nope, nothing to do with me being a good husband; pure self preservation) and it works great. Fresh ground beans every day keeps me alive for at least one more day. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, After irth said:

I have a Technivorm Moccamaster along with the Baratza Encore grinder and have been loving life lately. 

Check out the Technivorm website:  https://technivorm.com/

For coffee over the past year, I’ve been doing the seasonal single-origin selections from Peet’s. Damn good stuff. 

I got this one for the wife a few Christmas's ago. I like it a lot. Also matched the finish of the unit to our kitchen cabinet/drawer hardware. Which scored me a few brownie points.

KBG-Select-Brushed-Brass.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I've experimented with different makers, styles, coffees, etc over the years and found that the grinder made the most difference for me. Getting it ground to best size (fine to medium etc) for the given coffee (varies by type and desired flavor) made the most difference.  Invest in a good burr grinder if don't have one already. I buy cheap but know my grinder cost multiple times what my cheap coffee maker cost.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I bought a Gaggia Brera semi-automatic espresso maker (also does coffee, don't worry) just over a year ago and it's fantastic. 

I have the swan-neck pour over thingie but I'm not going to take the temp of the water all the time. Plus, I don't have a burr grinder. 

https://www.wholelattelove.com/products/gaggia-brera-espresso-machine-in-black

Don't use dark roast beans (really no reason to use dark roast anyway). My friend has had one of these machines for 8 years now and still going strong. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Baratza encore and aero press for a single cup, steel french press for multiple cups, and I just got a technivorm moccamaster for multiple cups. Can’t wait to try out the technivorm, it’s in the mail. 

also you guys who are buying bulk roasted shit like Peet’s or whatever need to step your game up and find some local roasters. I prefer medium roast Costa Rican and Colombian, also found some really good Ethiopian medium roasts. Very fruity without much acid and it doesn’t have that burnt black taste. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I use a pourover with a steel filter.  Paper would probably be better.  I have a burr grinder but it's pretty inconsistent.  I'm too cheap to replace it.

The things I found that make a big difference are water temperature and the amount of grinds.  You need to use more coffee than you might think.  Letting that first pour "bloom" seems to help, too . . . I guess it's CO2 being offgassed.

I mostly just use Ruta Maya beans.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

Not a coffee snob.  I have a simple Cuisinart with a thermal carafe.  I like the thermal carafe because it keeps the coffee hot most of the day and, unlike a glass carafe, it doesn't need to sit on a burner to keep it hot. 

Agree on the thermal carafe.  Have used one with the last few coffeemakers we've had.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

also you guys who are buying bulk roasted shit like Peet’s or whatever need to step your game up and find some local roasters.

This right here; you won’t be disappointed when you do. Beans roasted earlier that morning or within a day or two make a very noticeable difference in the finished coffee product, especially with espresso. 

The bulk coffee bins at HEB or Central Market (when they’re open) are a good alternative. Buy only what you need for a few days or a week, and you’ll always have reasonably fresh beans. You can usually also find bagged coffee roasted within the past week. 

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I use a pourover with a steel filter.  Paper would probably be better.  I have a burr grinder but it's pretty inconsistent.  I'm too cheap to replace it.

The things I found that make a big difference are water temperature and the amount of grinds.  You need to use more coffee than you might think.  Letting that first pour "bloom" seems to help, too . . . I guess it's CO2 being offgassed.

Bingo. I like my paper filters more than the steel ones as well. We’ve also noticed that a little too much or too little coffee per ounce of water ruins what can be a great cup of coffee. 

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Asithappens said:

I bought a Gaggia Brera semi-automatic espresso maker (also does coffee, don't worry) just over a year ago and it's fantastic. 

I have the swan-neck pour over thingie but I'm not going to take the temp of the water all the time. Plus, I don't have a burr grinder. 

https://www.wholelattelove.com/products/gaggia-brera-espresso-machine-in-black

Don't use dark roast beans (really no reason to use dark roast anyway). My friend has had one of these machines for 8 years now and still going strong. 

I've had our Gaggia Brera for close to 10 years now.  Easy to maintain little workhorse.  For what it's worth, the Brera is a lower priced fully automatic machine.  For me, it replaced a semi auto Gaggia Coffee Deluxe espresso maker and Gaggia MDF grinder and delivered the simplicity I wanted.

I also have a 20 year old Cuisinart drip machine that I'd love to replace with one of the more tuned up drip machines with more precise temperature control, but the thing just keeps going.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2

Tasters choice house blend. Fathers day shutterfly mug with pictures of my kids. (Black ceramic, so I never have to wash it. Get a new one next Fathers day. Retire the old one.) Tap water. Microwave 1 minute. If want to be fancy I add a little crystal on the top. Sort of like barrista foam art.

Edited by CleverNickname
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, pearlandhorn said:

HEB Texas Pecan coffee. Get the whole bean and grind it yourself.

Seconded.  The Taste of San Antonio whole bean is also the tits.  I live in DFW and so we buy a shitload of it when we make it down to the HEBs in Austin or that one way on south end of Tarrant County (when they are open of course)

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 7:08 PM, Dbeasy said:

I am a coffee nut. I’ve searched and researched the world for the right combination of beans and maker. For the quick morning brew where you use a maker and not something like a a chemex, I strongly suggest buying one that meets the official coffee making standard. 

I bought the Cuisinart and it’s awesome. See standards here. 

https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer

This. 100%.

16 hours ago, smuggs said:

I got this one for the wife a few Christmas's ago. I like it a lot. Also matched the finish of the unit to our kitchen cabinet/drawer hardware. Which scored me a few brownie points.

KBG-Select-Brushed-Brass.jpg

we have this one too and a breville grinder though it’s an older one that need replacing.

• Hook 'Em 1

I have this one.  Got it "free" with some appliances we got for a kitchen remodel.  It's fine, but it's nothing special.  Really glad I didn't pay full retail for it.  Amazon showing it for $740.  Seems a little steep for what it is.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Wolf+Gourmet/page/C1F3F000-6EA1-4F52-BD34-B7504D9B27C8?ref_=ast_bln

81ZiZVBDQGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I like Ruta Maya, too. Get mine at Costco. 

• Hook 'Em 1

ive switched to pour over.  carafe, tons of filters and electric kettle set me back maybe $50-$60 all in.  addison coffee roasters is down the street from my office so thats my go to for beans.  i have them grind them for me because a bag doesnt make it a week in my house.  french roast is my go to and ill get some fru fru stuff during the holidays.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/9/2021 at 5:23 PM, tx 3 putt said:

This. I've been using Keurigs for years. Had company staying with for a couple of weeks who both drink coffee and didn't want to go through 100 kcups. So I bought a nicer one from target that was a little over $100. Now I can't stand the taste of coffee from my keurig that's at work.

• Hook 'Em 1

When I need to make one pretty quickly I use a Moka stovetop unit. It works well for coffee and also herbal tea. 

If I have some time and really want to make it taste fantastic I do the Turkish method with a cevze. There's a definite learning curve to using it but when you get it mastered you can control the temperature and duration to get the exact taste you want without the burned taste of drip makers. For the coffee sometimes I'll buy from La Colombe and I'll also buy from Specs and Sprouts

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

On 2/10/2021 at 9:06 PM, Surly Bevo said:

Seconded.  The Taste of San Antonio whole bean is also the tits.  I live in DFW and so we buy a shitload of it when we make it down to the HEBs in Austin or that one way on south end of Tarrant County (when they are open of course)

Hudson Oaks HEB did have it last time I checked.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4Px5dGBP2iJexyiavFVjwiE6TXHrabFV1uw&usqp=CAU
I prefer my caffeine cold and bubbly so I do Diet Dr Pepper, but Mrs. Mo is a coffee queen. This is what she swears by. I make it every morning (nope, nothing to do with me being a good husband; pure self preservation) and it works great. Fresh ground beans every day keeps me alive for at least one more day. 

We’ve got an older version of this, bought at Costco a long time ago. When it started giving us problems after about 5 years I took it back and they gave us another one. Have a French press but prefer the no mess simplicity of a drip.

The key to me is to get a burr grinder, find beans you like and grind fresh every time.

Baratza encore and aero press for a single cup, steel french press for multiple cups, and I just got a technivorm moccamaster for multiple cups. Can’t wait to try out the technivorm, it’s in the mail. 

also you guys who are buying bulk roasted shit like Peet’s or whatever need to step your game up and find some local roasters. I prefer medium roast Costa Rican and Colombian, also found some really good Ethiopian medium roasts. Very fruity without much acid and it doesn’t have that burnt black taste. 

If you want to support local go to Trianon in Westlake and let them hook you up with beans that match your taste. Or just buy Ruta Maya.

• 1 year later...

I got my Moccamaster this week, and it is awesome! Love the coffee smell throughout the kitchen/living room area in the morning.  I can make as little as 2 cups up to ~12 cups at a time!  I bought some Pete's Brazilian grounds off Amazon to start out, but that was an accident, because I bought a grinder I wanted to use.  Will do better with my next purchase and get some beans. The Pete's coffee isn't anything spectacular, but it's better tasting when I brew it at home than anything I got from a local coffee shop around here. 

VideoCapture_20220406-083103.thumb.jpg.7b83e4de1da5e32ec7d35ad7128f1162.jpg

Anyone have coffee bean recs for purchase online or in-store?  I hear HEB has pretty good bean options.  

Edited by Dutchrudder
  • Hook 'Em 1

The grocery stores nearby used to have a bulk section of coffee beans. They had those brown paper bags with embedded twist ties for sealing them. And they had a grinder if you wanted to grind them at the store. Those disappeared years ago. I can’t recall when and I don’t know why, but there is now a section devoted to Starbucks coffee and I can’t help but wonder if the two aren’t connected. (Sort of how it’s hard to find a decent straw broom but there’s a whole Swiffer section now.) I used to love to get my Mocha Java there. It sucks that they stopped offering that.

I can drive down to Stauf’s in Grandview, a suburb not far from the OSU campus, where they roast their own beans and have a wide selection. But I do that more for special occasions. Like getting some Jamaican Blue Mountain beans for the holidays. Day in, day out, it’s not really a practical solution.

Browsing the whole beans in the store now, the options are limited. I haven’t sampled many. But I’ve tried the Eight O’Clock brand and it doesn’t suck. It’s okay. These days I’m more inclined to drink Bigelow’s Earl Grey tea in the morning. But the Eight O’Clock whole bean coffee is decent if I’m in the mood.

7F1DFA18-6EB3-4E8F-875F-8A83F4E0730B.png.9dbdc7ac8e8e23bd070323b55abda6ed.png