Gold bug / silver bug / numismatic / metals thread

52-80

8 hours ago, bernorange said:

Singapore bought 44+ tons of gold in January.  China supposedly bought 24.9 tons in February.  BIS reports inceasing amounts of gold swaps too.  There seems to be a fair amount of interest in gold amongst central banks right now...

364E9B7700000578-3691950-image-m-43_1468

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Just read that that guy got lured into a trap by former associates and literally beaten to death. 
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-36804209

Yikes. It has occurred to me that a gold chain may not be a bad way to 'stack'. To me the use for gold is if somehow I need to flee for my life. Unlikely, but possible, and with a chain on my neck I don't have to waste pocket space to hold my gold. But gold did not work as insurance for that guy.

25 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

Yikes. It has occurred to me that a gold chain may not be a bad way to 'stack'. To me the use for gold is if somehow I need to flee for my life. Unlikely, but possible, and with a chain on my neck I don't have to waste pocket space to hold my gold. But gold did not work as insurance for that guy.

Typically jewelry has a markup a lot higher than the gold weight. The exceptions to this might be to make friends with a pawn shop owner who'd let you buy it for however much he'd get when he melts it down, or else live in India where the workers make almost nothing to create the chain.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

If i had to pick something to use as emergency bailout fund hidden in my keister (because where else?)…not sure that gold represents the best $/size density?

Maybe a few gemstones

3 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

If i had to pick something to use as emergency bailout fund hidden in my keister (because where else?)…not sure that gold represents the best $/size density?

Maybe a few gemstones

But is has to be easy to sell for cash, and a bit at a time. You could take off a couple of links from a gold chain and sell for a little cash as you need it. Gemstones are probably a lot more trouble to sell, and a lot more trouble to get fair value, there is no 'melt value' for emeralds. I hadn't thought about the markup on jewelry though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2023 at 2:34 PM, pantone159 said:

But is has to be easy to sell for cash, and a bit at a time. You could take off a couple of links from a gold chain and sell for a little cash as you need it. Gemstones are probably a lot more trouble to sell, and a lot more trouble to get fair value, there is no 'melt value' for emeralds. I hadn't thought about the markup on jewelry though.

Stumbled across a .9999 1 0z bracelet for about 150 over spot, not too terrible a mark-up if it's legit. It's probably legit.

https://sdbullion.com/1-oz-gold-bullion-bracelet

On 3/22/2023 at 11:05 AM, bernorange said:

sdbullion has a rep as a legit dealer.

Yeah, I took them up on a deal where if you create an account, you can order either 5 oz silver or 10g gold at spot price. I went with silver, but you still have to add 9.95 postage so it's $2 over spot. Not terrible. Then my bank didn't match up with their e-check system, so I am still hanging like a turd on a hair in an abandoned cart. Gave me enough time to remember the other real bills I need to pay.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be the guinea pig on the bullion bracelet. Probably going to be 3-4 weeks before it gets here. If the wife doesn't like the dull color, I'll just throw it in the drawer with the old wedding rings, broken gold glasses frames and pulled crowns.   

Edited by Not that Bob
  • Drool 1

On 4/1/2023 at 7:52 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

I've heard good things about AGE (Spicewood) and Capital Coin & Bullion (Burnet)

https://www.amergold.com/
http://capitalcoinandbullion.com/

Have personally not used either. Have just bought from name brand companies on eBay.

Maybe I’m not keeping up, but I’m surprised to see this post from you. Figured you would be fully embracing the boglehead method.

I’ve had good luck ordering from jmbullion. Just search their in stock coins. 

1 hour ago, bernorange said:

It looks like gold and silver broke through resistance this morning.  We'll see if it holds.

@ $2032 rn.  Now is NOT the time to buy. 

My nieces and nephews don't believe their uncle is crazy anymore.  They all have several gold buffalos (my favorite) I gifted over the years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, B00M said:

Maybe I’m not keeping up, but I’m surprised to see this post from you. Figured you would be fully embracing the boglehead method.

I’ve had good luck ordering from jmbullion. Just search their in stock coins. 

Oh, I have tons in gold. Like 0.03% of my worth. Also own some BTC.

I wouldn't call myself a gold investor, I just like the feeling of owning a little bit and think it's great to look at and hold.

• 2 weeks later...

Second batch of 10 silver buffalos came today. So far I'm liking this putting $100 aside each month. Got a nice full tube thus far that I wouldn't have purchased otherwise.

I've got some sterling silverware. Trying to decide if I should just try to trade it for the equivalent weight in bullion (~82 oz per old assay). Kind of a hassle to put in a safe. Probably hasn't been used since Easter '85. at least coins are easy to store. I know survivalist types are convinced the sterling has useful health properties, but I can't imagine breaking out the good stuff in an emergency. Gotta clean that stuff all particular and such. 

• Drool 1

On 3/31/2023 at 5:02 PM, Not that Bob said:

I'll be the guinea pig on the bullion bracelet. Probably going to be 3-4 weeks before it gets here. If the wife doesn't like the dull color, I'll just throw it in the drawer with the old wedding rings, broken gold glasses frames and pulled crowns.   

So far, it's taken them 33 days to cash my check. The waiting continues. 

I didn't know we had a gold thread, i have been stacking an oz or 2 a month for a bit.  

Amergold.com in austin has legit better pricing than SDbullion (usually about 50 bucks per AGE).    Plus you can pay in cash.   Just keep it under 10k at a time.

Texmetals.com  in shiner is good as well, but they only let you buy 10k in cash a year.   their pricing is a bit higher than amergold, but usually a bit cheaper than SD.

Plus SD has been taking weeks to get orders out.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

On 4/19/2023 at 2:22 PM, Mr. Drummond said:

I didn't know we had a gold thread, i have been stacking an oz or 2 a month for a bit.  

Amergold.com in austin has legit better pricing than SDbullion (usually about 50 bucks per AGE).    Plus you can pay in cash.   Just keep it under 10k at a time.

Texmetals.com  in shiner is good as well, but they only let you buy 10k in cash a year.   their pricing is a bit higher than amergold, but usually a bit cheaper than SD.

Plus SD has been taking weeks to get orders out.

Texmetals has some absolutely stunning Texas rounds. If I were ever to find myself in Shiner during their store hours, I'd probably get silly.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/21/2023 at 12:33 PM, RDCanecutter said:

Texmetals has some absolutely stunning Texas rounds. If I were ever to find myself in Shiner during their store hours, I'd probably get silly.

I'm guilty of this.  The Texas rounds are gorgeous and (obviously) worth their weight in silver.

17 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

That Amergold site seems to have the best prices I've seen. 

I agree. Those aren't bad prices at all. For some reason I stumbled onto other sites with similar names, trying to sell me "gold kits," but once I got back around, that early 2000s HTML site has what you want, good prices.

https://www.amergold.com/?fbclid=IwAR2PgDIzZNBU2kBWm92j11-E9HP2BTXMVzuDGj95Bg0CXIGhBrs23czIJtk

Edited by RDCanecutter

On 4/22/2023 at 10:29 AM, Mr. Drummond said:

A random Tuesday afternoon brewery tour followed by a bit of gold buying is a fun day.   

Time was when I would drink wine, calculate the price of spot plus one dollar, and go through 100 eBay silver listing putting in my bids. About 1/10th would power through, and I'd be stuck with random silver that I'd try to sell as "art rounds" or "historical" for 20 over spot. Probably made 5 dollars an hour for the work I put in, but it was cheaper than smoking crack.

• Haha 1

The only time i worry too much about the price is if i am buying more than my monthly plan.    Say on a 15% dip   

Of course most of my gold was lost in an unfortunate boating accident, so i barely have any now.

Edit: Not to say i dont care about price, i just mean that if i am just buying one 1oz Gold Eagle, searching all over Houston to save 20 bucks is not a major factor.   

Edited by Mr. Drummond
  • Drool 1

On 4/18/2023 at 10:32 AM, Not that Bob said:

Email today says tracking number created. 

Came last week, signature required, which I suppose is understandable, but I'm never home when the mail is delivered, so it requires a trip to the post office...which makes me cranky. 

Looks exactly like the photo on the web page, which is pretty spare. If the wife turns her nose up at birthday time I'll give her some other trinket with a fraction of the gold. At least I'll have another oz.  I'll get out my gram scale at some point and post again.

• Drool 1

As bernorange says, both have a full 1oz of gold, the eagles have an additional 3% silver and 5% copper.  So the eagles are actually heavier than buffalos.

You have to be a little more careful with the buffalos, they ding pretty easily and should keep them in individual containers, where the eagles you can stack in tubes. 

Both are super liquid,  up till about a year ago, buffalos actually had a bit of a premium over the eagles when buying, but that seems to have evened out.

If you live in the US, which i'm sure most of us do, there is no issues with either when time to sell.

If you live somewhere else, lots of countries have taxes on 22k gold vs 24k - so eagles may not be the best choice if you are going to sell in England for example. 

There are tax advantages in the US for the eagles and buffalos.   Mainly, if you sell over 25oz of coins, there is no requirement for the coin shop to fill out a 1099 on the transaction.   However, if you had 25 1oz Canadian maple leafs for example, the IRS would know and you would have capital gains tax stuff to deal with.

EDIT:  i guess i should add, if you sell the 25 eagles/buffalos you still have a capital gains tax event, you are just left on your own to fill out all the paperwork on the honor system.         

Edited by Mr. Drummond
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

I got hold of some found money so I just said fuggit and bought some halves at 23 x 1.

Then when I opened my goblin log book to record the purchase, I saw that it was the first silver I'd bought in more than a year.

I'm a big back-the-truck-up stacker I am.

IMG_1532.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

I got hold of some found money so I just said fuggit and bought some halves at 23 x 1.

Then when I opened my goblin log book to record the purchase, I saw that it was the first silver I'd bought in more than a year.

I'm a big back-the-truck-up stacker I am.

IMG_1532.jpg

You musta been stacking gold and lead and laying pipe in the meantime am I right?

• Drool 1

12 hours ago, B00M said:

You musta been stacking gold and lead and laying pipe in the meantime am I right?

Yes. All of that. With my girlfriend. She lives in Canada.

Though seriously, in 2022 all spare money went to medical bills. But I'm here to complain about them, so I guess they were a smart investment.

Edited by RDCanecutter
  • Hook 'Em 1

My mother got CHIEF Jr. a 1 oz. Gold Eagle for his graduation tomorrow. She went to school with the owner of Cowtown Gold and Silver, in Ft. Worth. I'm pretty sure it is one of the new ones. I'll get a picture later.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

• 3 weeks later...

So we are off the highs of $2050.00 and back down to 1950ish.    And with the debt ceiling / spending can kicked down the road, i think we will see more pressure on price for the next few weeks.   i dont think we will see 1850, but i think 1900 is possible.     

I kept my powder dry over the last couple of months with the price increasing - so will be buying a little heavier than normal over the next couple of weeks.  

I'm usually wrong  - so keep that in mind.  

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Debt ceiling issue in the rear view mirror now should relieve pressure on all markets.  If inflation looks tamed and there isn't pressure on the Fed to raise rates again, metals should find some strength for another move up.  But if inflation data continues to be a mix of good/bad news, I expect metals to trade more or less sideways.  $.02

• Drool 1

2 hours ago, bernorange said:

Debt ceiling issue in the rear view mirror now should relieve pressure on all markets.  If inflation looks tamed and there isn't pressure on the Fed to raise rates again, metals should find some strength for another move up.  But if inflation data continues to be a mix of good/bad news, I expect metals to trade more or less sideways.  $.02

Agreed.    There is real movement up only when Fed shows they are going to hold /lower rates.      Crazy that with other currencies they are all breaking highs, but the dollar is so strong its keeping prices down.    I guess we are the best horse at the glue factory. 

17 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

At some point I want to get an old-school Krugerrand just to be retro. And of course a Centenario, just because.

Krugerrands are great, low premiums, any place will take them.   Nothing wrong with stacking them at all.  Its still a top seller world wide.    And the 50 peso coins are great, and in Texas can also sell them anywhere.    Plus they look really cool. 

• Drool 1