Eggs

Buzzrock

We have been on the avocado toast and poached egg kick the past couple of weeks.f13ae1d951ba6f7066ea8997ed8caad7.jpg
Did avocado toast with ham and sous vide poached eggs this am.  YouTube called for 12 mins at 167 for the eggs.  In retrospect I would have gone a couple more minutes.  But delicious nevertheless.

6203b8a610799d904e281092a636f29f.jpg
df5e8b012222a136bd57205c6028703e.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Did avocado toast with ham and sous vide poached eggs this am.  YouTube called for 12 mins at 167 for the eggs.  In retrospect I would have gone a couple more minutes.  But delicious nevertheless.

Is the Homer Simpson mug supposed to divert our attention away from the fact that you brought out the “good China”?

Joking aside, I’d absolutely destroy that.
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, hookemATL said:

What’s the most eggs you have eaten in one sitting?  I regularly polish off 5 over easy but once made and ate 10 for a late night snack (weed may have been involved). 

A dozen over easy, two dozen deviled. Weed was definitely involved.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2021 at 12:20 PM, RMac5 said:

We have been on the avocado toast and poached egg kick the past couple of weeks.f13ae1d951ba6f7066ea8997ed8caad7.jpg

I’d eat that. I’ve never had avocado toast. Is it just guacamole on toast? I put onions and cilantro in my guacamole but, it seems to me, with absolutely zero experience to base it on, that it should just be avocado, garlic, salt, pepper, lime juice, and a dash of hot sauce for this preparation. Maybe not even the hot sauce.

It’s incredible. Find you a rustic loaf of bread and toast it. We make a simple guacamole for this, just salt pepper and lime juice with a few red pepper flakes. It’s great with just guacamole or add an egg to make it even better. We add hollandaise every once in a while just to change things up.  

Edited by RMac5
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 2/24/2021 at 8:04 PM, RMac5 said:

It’s incredible. Find you a rustic loaf of bread and toast it. We make a simple guacamole for this, just salt pepper and lime juice with a few red pepper flakes. It’s great with just guacamole or add an egg to make it even better. We add hollandaise every once in a while just to change things up.  

I've been doing this exact recipe for probably 20 years.   No egg though, so maybe not exact.   So good.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/23/2021 at 5:23 PM, hookemATL said:

What’s the most eggs you have eaten in one sitting?  I regularly polish off 5 over easy but once made and ate 10 for a late night snack (weed may have been involved). 

The night before the 2006 Iowa/Iowa State game, we were partying at a buddy's place in Iowa City.  He had a jar of pickled eggs, and somewhere around 1AM it was decided we needed to polish those fuckers off.

I got 9 down before I tapped out.  I went back to drinking beer.  Thought it was a great idea to take a dip of Cope from a buddy.  I've never been able to stomach Copenhagen since I ate a handful of my grandpa's as a 3 year old, but every so often I get drunk, cocky, and think I can finally handle it.

It took about 30 seconds before I was projectile vomiting pickled eggs in the sink.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

i will say that being shut in for a week during the ice storm led to some epic breakfasts and a new appreciation for eggs for me, since it was one thing i had a lot of in the fridge (that and leftover Honeybaked ham from Christmas I pulled from the freezer).  had each of these a couple of times:

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Breakfast tacos - beat your eggs like you beat your kids (I’m kidding, about the kids, whip the fuck out of the eggs until they are frothy) then add salt and melt good about of butter over medium heat then soft scramble with just the right amount of spatula. Buttery fluffy eggs are where it’s at - add your taco shit and enjoy the best breakfast ever invented. 

• Like 2

On 2/22/2021 at 10:16 PM, Spur08 said:

Made migas tonight as I just happened to have most of the items -- tomato, onion, garlic, poblano, eggs, leftover Mexican food joint chips.  Topped it with some 595 green salsa (or whatever that brand is) and Valentina's.  Really, really good.  

denzel washington GIF

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2021 at 1:57 PM, Sbbruin said:

Did the sous vide poached egg

This doesn’t compute. Aren’t poached eggs by definition sous vide? They’re food encased in a membrane that you cook while submersed in hot water. Do you mean you just poached some eggs or did you put them in plastic bags first? I don’t understand. I feel like the method taught to me in cookbooks and by tv chefs like Julia Child and Jacques Pépin had it down to perfection.

I don’t eat a lot of canned soup but I’m a big fan of Campbell’s Bean with Bacon Soup. Sometimes I’ll crack an egg into the pot for the final few minutes. That yolk makes the soup extra velvety and the added protein to go along with all that fiber seems to have other positive constitutional ramifications.

Just thinking that’s what I might have for dinner tonight. Or if not tonight then soon. 

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

This doesn’t compute. Aren’t poached eggs by definition sous vide? They’re food encased in a membrane that you cook while submersed in hot water. Do you mean you just poached some eggs or did you put them in plastic bags first?

Sous vide is a process where food cooks in water of a certain temperature, not necessarily boiling.  It is the temperature to which you wish the cooked item to rise.  It's a very slow process.

Poached eggs are cooked in boiling water, typically taken off the heat when the eggs are added, and if you're doing it right, it's with a splash of vinegar.  It's just not the same thing.

Sous vide eggs attain markedly different textures depending on the water temperature used to cook the eggs.  Regardless, it's a much longer process (and lower temperature) than poaching.

58 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Sous vide is a process where food cooks in water of a certain temperature, not necessarily boiling.  It is the temperature to which you wish the cooked item to rise.  It's a very slow process.

Poached eggs are cooked in boiling water, typically taken off the heat when the eggs are added, and if you're doing it right, it's with a splash of vinegar.  It's just not the same thing.

Sous vide eggs attain markedly different textures depending on the water temperature used to cook the eggs.  Regardless, it's a much longer process (and lower temperature) than poaching.

Thanks, professor. I know what sous vide is. I know how to poach an egg and I know you’ve never watched Julia Child poach an egg. Know how I know? Because she didn’t poach an egg in boiling water. And even if you bring the water to a boil first then take it off the heat when you add the eggs then you’re not really poaching them in boiling water, are you?

The concept behind a sous vide poached egg still escapes me. ‘It takes longer therefore it’s better’ is not an explanation. I know a little something about the chemistry of proteins and why vinegar is added to the water when poaching an egg. Can you describe the difference between a sous vide egg and a soft boiled egg cooked in its shell? Can you even describe Sbbruin’s method of poached eggs sous vide? Because that’s who I was asking. Were you there?

I will patiently await his response. Nice second post in the thread, btw. 

20 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Thanks, professor. I know what sous vide is. I know how to poach an egg and I know you’ve never watched Julia Child poach an egg. Know how I know? Because she didn’t poach an egg in boiling water. And even if you bring the water to a boil first then take it off the heat when you add the eggs then you’re not really poaching them in boiling water, are you?

Oh for fuck's sake, you have officially pushed me down to 3rd place in the "most pedantic surly poster" sweepstakes.  Mea culpa that one might drop poached eggs into 211.9 F water.

By the way, what most chefs refer to as "sous vide eggs" is cooking eggs in their shells at a specific water temperature for a specific amount of time, and then eventually removing the shell and "poaching" the egg for a few minutes.  I don't know why it's a thing, but it is.  I'd rather buy farm fresh eggs and make a nice omelette, but different strokes.

i came to post there's nothing as culinarily sensuous as an egg frying in a pan where the tiny bubbles are sizzling around the edge of the egg white.  also came to say i will never understand people who enjoy their scrambled eggs cooked through to a rubbery consistency.

15 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Oh for fuck's sake, you have officially pushed me down to 3rd place in the "most pedantic surly poster" sweepstakes.  Mea culpa that one might drop poached eggs into 211.9 F water.

By the way, what most chefs refer to as "sous vide eggs" is cooking eggs in their shells at a specific water temperature for a specific amount of time, and then eventually removing the shell and "poaching" the egg for a few minutes.  I don't know why it's a thing, but it is.  I'd rather buy farm fresh eggs and make a nice omelette, but different strokes.

Unless you are at sea level, that water is probably still boiling. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2021 at 1:57 PM, Sbbruin said:

Are you cooking them in the shell? I just saw an episode of America’s Test Kitchen that recommended cooking them in the shell for 12 minutes at 167 degrees.

Tell me how that’s not just a soft boiled egg. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Are you cooking them in the shell? I just saw an episode of America’s Test Kitchen that recommended cooking them in the shell for 12 minutes at 167 degrees.

Stop mansplaining things to the ladies and their avocado toast.

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Yes in the shell.  The sous vide cooks it more evenly.  Soft boiled hardens the whites more, I would argue.