Jimbaround

7 hours ago, huge said:

badad0b99b02509ce2efb8e0b1eae079.jpg
This was michters toasted (18)

Fitz 11 (20)

Makers cask strength blackout (16)

The blackout was the winner

8RF is still a great place to get interesting 2 oz pours

Could you elaborate on the Maker’s MarK Cask Strength Blackout? I assume it’s a special single barrel just for 8RF? 

Also judging by the sawed off High Lifes, you missed on multiple ring tosses. I’ve never seen anyone win, but I’ll keep aiming for that Handy. 

I love 8RF, but it gets busy as hell up there. Almost every day, including week days. It’s not a quiet, chill, read a book while you sip your bourbon kind of spot. No complaints, just want everybody to know what they’re getting into. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

You have seen the bottles that have the stave info on the back?

Blackout is some sort of secret society in Kentucky and they did one with NASA Liquor.

I like all of them. Private collection or whatever?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I picked up a bottle of Knob Creek 25th Anniversary Single Barrel today in Greater Houston. The store had one more bottle. They’re charging MSRP.

It’s really good. Loving my bottle. I haven’t been disappointed by a Knob Creek bottle yet. 

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I picked up a bottle of Knob Creek 25th Anniversary Single Barrel today in Greater Houston. The store had one more bottle. They’re charging MSRP.

Have seen it at several locations across Houston, at $125-130. Seems many folks are opting for the store pick 14+ yr old versions at $45-60 instead.

3 hours ago, thestud said:

Yeah BigDHorn and myself thought we were slick when he discovered the Goody Goody KC SiB was a 13 year 11month bottle for $40. Then about two months later the floodgates opened and everywhere you looked in dfw you could find a KC SiB that was 13.5-14+ years old. I’ve yet to be disappointed in any of them.

I'm looking to put a couple of those tasty 13-14 yr olds on the shelf, as the KC SiB stocks of that age have to be running thin.

8 hours ago, thestud said:

Yeah BigDHorn and myself thought we were slick when he discovered the Goody Goody KC SiB was a 13 year 11month bottle for $40. Then about two months later the floodgates opened and everywhere you looked in dfw you could find a KC SiB that was 13.5-14+ years old. I’ve yet to be disappointed in any of them.

Still haven't found one that compares to the GG pick though.  It's a God among men...

5 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

I'm looking to put a couple of those tasty 13-14 yr olds on the shelf, as the KC SiB stocks of that age have to be running thin.

There are some Barrel 14yr out that are terrific. Several places are selling around $100-$110. If you look long enough. They might be had for under $90.

17 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Shocker. Marianne Eaves resigned from Castle and Key. When Jim Rutledge hinted at she didn’t know what she was doing, I knew she was toast. 

Oh well. At least she was prominently featured in Neat. 

huh?

who?

what?

Picked up a couple more Boone County 12 years. Red informed me to load up while I can as that’s the last of the MGP. Said Boone County is going the way of Old Scout. Next batch will be Dickel. There just isn’t any MGP left. 

He has a ton of 4R SB Select. Anyone tried it yet?

On 5/14/2019 at 4:51 PM, thestud said:

$1k no. $700-$750 yes. It’s trading for WLW or two GTS. 3 weeks ago it was going for $350-ish. I really really really hate the secondary bourbon market.

I've never sold a bottle, but I would definitely trade a unopened 4 grain for a WLW, or 2 GTS.

Just got an invite for a good buddy's 50th Bd.  The festivities (long weekend in June) will be held in and around Barton Springs.  I plan to get to town early, and scout out a few liquor stores to hopefully grab him 1-3 special bottles of bourbon, depending on what I can find. Home base will be somewhere near 183 and Mopac to start. Any suggestions? Thinking OLC, TL and... maybe Specs if I get desperate...lol.

Edited by RaylanGivens

10 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

Just got an invite for a good buddy's 50th Bd.  The festivities (long weekend in June) will be held in and around Barton Springs.  I plan to get to town early, and scout out a few liquor stores to hopefully grab him 1-3 special bottles of bourbon, depending on what I can find. Home base will be somewhere near 183 and Mopac to start. Any suggestions? Thinking OLC, TL and... maybe Specs if I get desperate...lol.

Spec’s Austin has 1910. 

The Total on 183 is usually really solid. 

Pretty good bet you’ll get Eagle Rare at almost any Twin Liquor in town.

Theres a local place on 183 that you can PM me about. Lots of store picks. 

10 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

Debs Arboretum has special bottles but at secondary prices. If you’re desperate

18 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

New additions

0754418cb5621fb07f0f072c7501efc7.jpg

I don’t get the Four Grain hype. It’s good but nowhere near WLW or GTS, at least for my palate.

To each his own. I've had a pour of Four Grain and found it exceptional, but not at BTAC level. 

Handy 2017 remains my favorite BTAC. Flavor explosion in every sip. 

Does anybody else think Buffalo Trace moves to temperature control all of their good stuff to increase yield/keep the age statement? I could see it happening, they're already doing it with a few select products. 

My best bargains list: 

Best barrel strength: Ezra Brooks 7 Barrel Strength ($30) 

Best in class: Weller Antique 107 (prior to the $50 jump, at $25 a bottle) 

Best rye: Old Forester Rye ($21.99). I wrestled with this one. The malted barley element just works and makes it different. 

1910 and Jefferson's Double Oaked "Custom" Barrel priced themselves out of the bargain category, but they're both outstanding for the money and can be found on the shelf. 

• Like 1

My best bargains list: 
Best barrel strength: Ezra Brooks 7 Barrel Strength ($30) 
Best in class: Weller Antique 107 (prior to the $50 jump, at $25 a bottle) 
Best rye: Old Forester Rye ($21.99). I wrestled with this one. The malted barley element just works and makes it different. 

1910 and Jefferson's Double Oaked "Custom" Barrel priced themselves out of the bargain category, but they're both outstanding for the money and can be found on the shelf. 

Don’t sleep on OG 114.
Killer stuff @$21

10 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Totally agree when you put it that way.
And on the opposite end of the price spectrum I offer this.
I’m not a regular WR fan but this stuff is really good. Just a little overpriced. If it was $80 instead of $125, I’d buy it buy the case if I could.
5526dee6cb51245b962b3526de4673f0.jpg

Is that the 2019 release of Batch Proof? 

18 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

* Hot take alert* I wish Woodford Reserve would make something truly elite without overpricing it. They're Brown-Forman, they can do whatever they want. 

I don’t understand why that barrel proof isn’t just a standard product. Put it in your normal bottle, make it $50, and it will sell. 

I could see Four Roses Small Batch Select turning the industry/market on its ear again. Readily available, $52.99, and exceptional. It shouldn't exist in this market, but it does. 

Damn I saw that when I bought the two bottles above. Should have grabbed it.

On 5/17/2019 at 7:45 PM, Buzzrock said:

New additions

0754418cb5621fb07f0f072c7501efc7.jpg

I don’t get the Four Grain hype. It’s good but nowhere near WLW or GTS, at least for my palate.

I strongly disagree. I thought Stagg 17 was the best drink of that year and the 4 Grain was the best of 18. The Stagg 18 is much more different drink than its predecessor, but still terrific and I am no expert.

Really pissed that I didn't grab that 2nd 4G when it was on the shelf. They are trading this for WLW straight up on FB.

Anyone have any feedback so for on the 19 Michters 10.

Four Grain was good but it had a hint of a Scotch thing going on that I didn’t love.

That Elijah Craig is good, it’s got some burn.

Will report back on the Bulleit Rye 12.

In a way I wish I’d never scored Blanton’s Gold. I may be ruined.

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Four Grain was good but it had a hint of a Scotch thing going on that I didn’t love.

That Elijah Craig is good, it’s got some burn.

Will report back on the Bulleit Rye 12.

In a way I wish I’d never scored Blanton’s Gold. I may be ruined.

You nailed all four.

I like scotch also, so that's why I dig it.