Bourbon

Jimbaround

3 minutes ago, Texaskimo said:

Anyone else into Noah's Mill? I love the stuff, but it can get kind of hard to find at times. Very smooth and drinkable despite being 57% alcohol.

There is a liquor store on 34th just North of 290 that had some on Wednesday? 

17 minutes ago, Jimbaround said:

There is a liquor store on 34th just North of 290 that had some on Wednesday? 

Thanks for the heads up. The stores I normally go to actually have some right now too, I was just saying in general it seems like it will disappear from shelves for a few months every once in a while.

If you know where in Houston I can get some True Blue, on the other hand, I would love that information.

My first post on the new site must be on this topic.

Was drinking Larceny last night.  Tough to beat at under $25. 

My local grocery store is closing, so they're selling everything off at 25% or more.  Still had some Henry McKenna BIB, so I picked up a couple at under $25.  The mashbill looks to be the same as Evan Williams Single Barrel, which I love, so I'm thinking the McKenna will be good as well.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jimbaround said:

The McKenna is nice.  Also recently picked up some Old Grand-Dad 114.  At less than $20 a bottle is a very nice high-rye bourbon. 

OGD 114 is terrific value at under $20.  I've seen a price spike out here taking it above $25 at my local place, so I haven't picked up any in a while.   

6 hours ago, Texaskimo said:

Thanks for the heads up. The stores I normally go to actually have some right now too, I was just saying in general it seems like it will disappear from shelves for a few months every once in a while.

If you know where in Houston I can get some True Blue, on the other hand, I would love that information.

Changed my username (formerly Vince Ombia). True Blue is at Goody Goody Woodway. They have both regular snd cask strength. 

FINALLY had a victory at Specs. My lack of luck at that store is well known (well, it WAS well known ... at the other place). Was in the Hill Country Galleria Specs on 71. I'd read about Total Wine getting their W12 allocation, so I asked the lady in the bourbon section if they had any. She happened to be the manager, and also happened to have one left un-reserved. For $22. They also had a blue corn bourbon in the case for $69, and EHTaylor Straight Rye on the shelf ($69 is a little stout but it's my favorite rye). Add in a Jefferson's small batch as a mixer, and I walked out with four awesome bottles for <$200. She also said she'd start holding Blantons, Eagle Rare, and W12 for me whenever they got some, and put me on the Pappy list. I'll never get a crack at the Pappy, but they can't tell you no if you don't ask. I guess I'm going to start driving out there for bourbon, to make sure she knows my face.

• Like 3

Typically go into Specs in Friendswood once a week. Have my name out for Blantons and Weller 12 for 9 months. I knew some had come in. Went up to the manager and complained about being on the list and no calls. He walked to the back and brought me out 2 Weller 12. $29.00 per bottle.

• Like 1

I'm completely stuck on Larceny as my everyday bourbon. It's replaced Four Roses small batch. I know this is nothing new for this thread, but I felt like it needed saying since it's a new website. I'm also a big fan of Knob Creek single barrel reserve but it's getting expensive for what it is. 

P.S. Eagle Rare has become hot garbage. WTH did they do to that bourbon? It use to be one of my favorites. 

4 hours ago, capnamerca said:

FINALLY had a victory at Specs. My lack of luck at that store is well known (well, it WAS well known ... at the other place). Was in the Hill Country Galleria Specs on 71. I'd read about Total Wine getting their W12 allocation, so I asked the lady in the bourbon section if they had any. She happened to be the manager, and also happened to have one left un-reserved. For $22. They also had a blue corn bourbon in the case for $69, and EHTaylor Straight Rye on the shelf ($69 is a little stout but it's my favorite rye). Add in a Jefferson's small batch as a mixer, and I walked out with four awesome bottles for <$200. She also said she'd start holding Blantons, Eagle Rare, and W12 for me whenever they got some, and put me on the Pappy list. I'll never get a crack at the Pappy, but they can't tell you no if you don't ask. I guess I'm going to start driving out there for bourbon, to make sure she knows my face.

Yes. That and the twins down the way are my new main stores. That bcb bottle had been sitting there while. Noticed it was gone on Saturday. Kinda pissed that they don’t put the w12 in the case, but have an unopened bottle in the cabinet so won’t whine too much. ER shows up relatively frequently in the case. And I am going to cut you if you start siphoning off the Blantons. 

Edited by Anastasis

22 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Yes. That and the twins down the way are my new main stores. That bcb bottle had been sitting there while. Noticed it was gone on Saturday. Kinda pissed that they don’t put the w12 in the case, but have an unopened bottle in the cabinet so won’t whine too much. ER shows up relatively frequently in the case. And I am going to cut you if you start siphoning off the Blantons. 

We can share. I'll take Tuesdays, you take Fridays.

16 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

My first post on the new site must be on this topic.

Was drinking Larceny last night.  Tough to beat at under $25. 

My local grocery store is closing, so they're selling everything off at 25% or more.  Still had some Henry McKenna BIB, so I picked up a couple at under $25.  The mashbill looks to be the same as Evan Williams Single Barrel, which I love, so I'm thinking the McKenna will be good as well.

Love McKenna, especially at that price.

i picked up a Russell’s Reserve SiB during Twin dollar days, would recommend.

54 minutes ago, ZanTheFan said:

Fire water thread made it over praise the lord

It's probably going to be a blessing that we can't look back at the early posts in the original thread and be reminded of how great it used to be.  Granted, I'm sitting pretty right now as over the last week I acquired:

Old Grand-Dad 114; McKenna 10yr; Angels Envy Rye; Blantons; Weller 12 (1.75); John J. Bowman Single; Whistle Pig Farmstock; and a Michters 10yr.

The death of the shag really had me thinking about this thread.  When it started, I pretty much knew four roses.  Based on recommendations in here, I probably tried 15-20 new bourbons and found 5-6 that I love and always stock.  Pretty cool way to find new stuff to try, so thanks assholes, for draining my account and getting me drunk. 

Most of what I drink is already well covered here, but I'll submit Four Roses Single Barrel Limited Edition as my favorite bourbon I've ever had.  I've never purchased a bottle, it's expensive, but a place I frequent in Seattle stocks it and I'll usually splurge on one at the end of a long work week there. 

Worth a try if you can find somewhere that carries it.  It is just insanely good. 

How much should Weller 12 cost?  Saw it in Winter Park of all places over the weekend, but it was priced at $99 so I passed.  They also had Eagle Rare priced at $55 when I can find it all day long in Denver around $32-34, so I'm guessing the Weller 12 was overpriced as well.