Bourbon

Jimbaround

42 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What kind of glass do you use to drink your hooch? 

I picked up two Glencairn "official Canadian whiskey" glasses today. I typically use the original Glencairn whiskey glass. 

Does anybody like the Canadian glass better?

I prefer to nose and sip out of the Canadian.  It swirls mo betta.

58 minutes ago, USCATX said:

Found an EH Taylor single barrel at specs new braunfels today, giving it a try while watching the CWS tonight.  Pretty decent finish, but crazy boozy nose.  Definitely not as good as the Blanton’s gold I illegally imported.  

Kind of an unfair comparison. 

Houston is bone dry right now. I feel pretty fortunate to have grabbed two bottles of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof a couple weeks back. 

I bought another bottle of Bowman Single Barrel. It's getting harder to find. I've seen one bottle on the shelf at a couple places recently. 

Gary disappointed me with his Blackwell's Bourbon of the Month Club selection for Father's Day. He picked that Bob Dylan crap. He better redeem himself for Christmas. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

16 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Kind of an unfair comparison. 

Houston is bone dry right now. I feel pretty fortunate to have grabbed two bottles of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof a couple weeks back. 

I bought another bottle of Bowman Single Barrel. It's getting harder to find. I've seen one bottle on the shelf at a couple places recently. 

Gary disappointed me with his Blackwell's Bourbon of the Month Club selection for Father's Day. He picked that Bob Dylan crap. He better redeem himself for Christmas. 

Several bottles of Bowman Single on the shelf at GG Woodway last week.

I'd love to find an EHT SiB

38 minutes ago, huge said:

Several bottles of Bowman Single on the shelf at GG Woodway last week.

I'd love to find an EHT SiB

Spec's had EH Taylor Single Barrel a couple weeks back. I'd call around if see if any bottles went unclaimed. 

I'm not sure what part of Houston you live in, but I see it on the shelf almost every time I'm in the burbs. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

On 6/17/2018 at 9:23 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Is $38 a pour worth it for Boss Hog? I want to try to before I buy a bottle. The best price I've ever seen is $399 at one my local stores. 

Boss Hog is pretty solid.  The Dark Prince is the harder one to find and is also damn tasty.  38 is a solid price for the reg Boss Hog.  

If I could give all my rep to @Neonmoon, I would. I remembered he had said that Deb’s had RY 10 yr on the shelf a couple weeks ago. Meant to go, but got busy with work and forgot, plus I don’t go up that way much otherwise. I was meeting a friend at the domain and ahead of schedule, so I stopped by tonight. They had RY 10 yr, EH Taylor SiB, and a 1792 Full Proof store pick all in stock. Bought one of each.

I think the RY 10 yr is my favorite, at least for my first joint taste test, but they’re all great.

Mood after a liberal tasting of each:  

giphy.gif

• Like 4

On 6/17/2018 at 10:08 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Will do. What time of year is Boss Hogg usually released? 

Not sure, but I believe the IVth was released in October. It is pretty easy to find for retail. Honestly, it can be found below retail on the secondary market if that tells you anything. I think suggested retail was $500. I see it for $450 at places like Spec's and TW. I bought a bottle in London, where it is everywhere for $350.

I see a bottle on FB right now for $430 shipped where you wouldn't be paying sales tax. With any kind of effort you could get it for $400.

There are better ryes out there that are much cheaper.

Not sure, but I believe the IVth was released in October. It is pretty easy to find for retail. Honestly, it can be found below retail on the secondary market if that tells you anything. I think suggested retail was $500. I see it for $450 at places like Spec's and TW. I bought a bottle in London, where it is everywhere for $350.
I see a bottle on FB right now for $430 shipped where you wouldn't be paying sales tax. With any kind of effort you could get it for $400.
There are better ryes out there that are much cheaper.

Preach. Hell I’d put Pikesville Rye up there as one that’s better and it’s $50.

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

NW Debs is the tits. They're always getting random gems in behind the counter. 

Yep. I'll definitely be going there more regularly.  The son was the one who was running the counter when I was there yesterday. I talked to him a good amount before I left. Seems like a good dude.

12 minutes ago, Horn21 said:

Deb's does indeed have some gems.  I paid $40 for Weller Antique a couple weeks ago because I just don't see it very often.  However, I passed on Blanton's for $79 because I'm just not ready to pay more than ~$65 for it yet.

Yeah, that's where I'm at and I understand where they're coming from too. When I was talking to him yesterday, he mentioned how his dad and uncle buy a lot of the shitty stuff, so they can get to the good stuff and actually said they get the first pick in Austin on store pick barrels from most of their desired distillers.  They definitely do mark up some of the more rare stuff they get, like W12 for $90 or Blantons for $79, but I don't hold it against them. They're the ones who buy all the shitty stuff to get to the good stuff, so there's no reason to sell it at MSRP, just so some guy can buy a whole case and triple his profits on the secondary market.  As long as the market keeps allowing them to sell at those prices, they might as well. On that note, it does seem like some stuff like Blantons and W12 will experience a market correction in the near future, but maybe that's just me being hopeful.

8 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Yeah, that's where I'm at and I understand where they're coming from too. When I was talking to him yesterday, he mentioned how his dad and uncle buy a lot of the shitty stuff, so they can get to the good stuff and actually said they get the first pick in Austin on store pick barrels from most of their desired distillers.

I picked up their 1792 Full Proof store pick as well a couple weeks ago.  I haven't bought their store pick on the 4R barrel proof SiB, but I imagine it's probably pretty damn good, and they've got a pretty decent amount of it.

Check out NW Hills Liquor on Mesa if you haven't already.  I picked up a bottle of RY10 a couple weeks ago there for ~$50.

Edited by Horn21
  • Like 1

2 bottles of Boss Hog Black Prince at the Wirt Specs for $465.

Picked up a bottle of Black Hills Farm today. Anyone had it recently? I had it 3 or 4 years ago but I don’t remember it at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11 minutes ago, huge said:

2 bottles of Boss Hog Black Prince at the Wirt Specs for $465.

Picked up a bottle of Black Hills Farm today. Anyone had it recently? I had it 3 or 4 years ago but I don’t remember it at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rock Hill Farms? That’s an awesome bottle. Did you get it at Specs?

15 minutes ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

Rock Hill Farms? That’s an awesome bottle. Did you get it at Specs?

Yes, that's the one

Got it at Costco Bunker Hill.  One per customer, $49.  First day they have carried it.

First question:

Is Whitmeyer's Bourbon Harvey's Remnants worth a darn? It's a little steep at $80, and I believe you have to drive out to the distillery in Klein/Spring to get it. I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to Cowboy to determine if it's possible for me to like a Texas bourbon. This is the last week I can hunt for awhile. 

Second question:

Fairly priced pours and an awesome selection in Houston? I know about Poison Girl. Johnny's Goldbrick is pretty good, they charged $12 for a pour of Elmer. Eight Row Flint is OK. Please don't suggest Reserve 101. 

Reserve 101 wants $56 for a pour of Cowboy. $135 for Black Prince.  Price gouging at its most extreme. Link: http://www.reserve101.com/whiskey-list.php

They also get cute, and sit on all their good stuff until there's a big convention/event in town. They're about a block from the George R. Brown. I'm not a fan.

6 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Get a bottle of the regular barrel proof stuff they have at Whitmeyer's.  Thought you could buy the Harvey bottle in stores and swear I saw it at Specs.  

Bought Harvey Remnants from Specs. I doubt it's any good but don't expect to open it.  

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Second question:

Fairly priced pours and an awesome selection in Houston?

If you are in Katy or Clear Lake, Whiskey Cake.  OFBB was under $20 a pour last time I was in there.

Just now, thestud said:

I’m about done with even trying to deal with Spec’s. Hit two locations today and both had ER10 and Blanton’s but they were going to people “on the list”. Went down the street and Total Wine has both and gladly sells them to me.

I'm done with my local Spec's as well.  They keep Buffalo Trace in the back and never admit to having anything special.  Twin Liquors across the street always has BT on the shelf.