Bourbon

Jimbaround

TL out here in the land of MILF and honey starting packing up certain "twin deal" bottles with shit they are trying to clear off the shelf. Blantons + some johnny walker Game of Thrones bottle?  OK, I guess. ER + some bottle of rando select red wine. Whatever. 

I mean, why the hell not? Someone will drink the random bottles...

12 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Not to be outdone by @henrygandorf, I'm picking up an Elijah Craig 18 and the 2020 Parker's Heritage release this evening. 

I'm kind of excited about the Parker's Heritage, it's supposed to be fantastic this year and part of the proceeds go to ALS Research. 

Had the Parker's Heritage 11 back in '17 ,and I remember it being quite good.

I'll keep an eye out for the 2020,. Even if it underwhelms, contributing to a good cause will take out some of the sting.

This last week, an EHT Rye, a WLW and an OFBB came to finish out the last few months of their rather longish lives at my house.

Disappointed that I didn't get a GTS this fall, but I really can't complain with a straight face.

3 minutes ago, smokeeater said:

Had the Parker's Heritage 11 back in '17 ,and I remember it being quite good.

I'll keep an eye out for the 2020,. Even if it underwhelms, contributing to a good cause will take out some of the sting.

This last week, an EHT Rye, a WLW and an OFBB came to finish out the last few months of their rather longish lives at my house.

Disappointed that I didn't get a GTS this fall, but I really can't complain with a straight face.

EHT Rye has alluded me this year. Oh well, you can't always get what you want. 

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Not to be outdone by @henrygandorf, I'm picking up an Elijah Craig 18 and the 2020 Parker's Heritage release this evening. 

my buddy down in newport, who i've been mentoring on my grocery store domination, snatched up an ec18 last week.

i haven't busted open my parkers yet, but @huge has had it.

I saw 5 bottles of that Michter’s at Specs in South Austin today. Don’t know anything about it though.

I also saw 2 bottles of EC18 today, and they were asking $400 each for them. Utterly ridiculous. I’ve been underwhelmed with the one bottle I have had this year, and wouldn’t buy another at MSRP.

8 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
9 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:
No kidding...guessing everyone is a winner... they just go down the list

You have won Jim Beam white label!

I'll never forget walking into a random neighborhood liquor store while running an errand and asking the clerk if he had any interesting bottles of bourbon.  He recommended the Jim Beam.

Edited by ERhine
English
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, USCATX said:

If I won a 1792 single barrel I’d break something. 

I have one set to the side for Christmas, when at least one of my boys will be home.  If they are both home, it will demand something even better...

Trying to build a 'Special Occasion' section, and right now, it consists of the 1492 single barrel and a McKenna 10..

Tonight I bought a Black Saddle 12 year for $25 and felt pretty good about it.  They were doing a reset at the store and had some odds and ends at a discount.  Felt like a win.

I know some of these seem like bottom dwellers, but where I'm at on my "taste for bourbon," they are nice.

Edited by slorch

On 11/16/2020 at 6:25 PM, Neonmoon said:

Stopped in a store in Chattanooga. They didn’t have anything special after searching, but they did have cases and cases of an ER single barrel store pick just sitting out in the open untouched. I’m drinking it now. It’s great. These bottles would scooped up in 20 minutes in Texas 

Well, did you buy me some, asshole?

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Learn me on Michter's Unblended American Whiskey. I think it's priced well at $44, but the low proof and aging process has me slightly concerned. Is it good? Where can you find it in Texas? 

i've always found michters to be a simple, easy drinker - which it should be, with a proof in the low/mid 80's.  this goes for american unblended/small batch/rye whatever.  all their basic bottles are around the same (proof and cost), except the bourbon, which is 91.4, which i think is kinda underrated.  this may be purely anecdotal, but at least 2 people have said the "bourbon" version is a little harder to find than the us1 unblended small batch or whatever they call it.

michters goes into the process at the lowest alcohol level of any of the major distilleries i'm pretty sure, somewhere around 103 proof.  their 10 year offerings are in the 90's, and even the toasted barrel barrel strength i have is only 107 i think.

still trying to hunt down a bombergers declaration (made by michters).  it's 108 proof and it just seems like something i will enjoy.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

MWND has landed in Denver. Picked up 2 today. Is Sam Houston 14 worth 120? How about Kentucky Owl (not confiscated) for 200?

SH14 is very good. But so are a lot of bottles half the price. That said, I bought another after tasting the first. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d say yes to both at MSRP. 

I told you Denver would get some MWND. 

Yep, just late for some reason.  I'll hopefully grab  a couple more tomorrow.  For some reason the folks out here don't chase MWND like they do other stuff.  And it's one of my favorites.