Bourbon

Jimbaround

My handyman looked at me like I was crazy  when I had him install a key lock on my office closet/bourbon vault. I’m glad I did. It’s already paid for itself in ducking wife side eyes. 

I’m drifting into junkie territory right now. I picked up a bottle of Maker’s Mark 46 Cask Strength and Rare Breed Rye while running an errand today. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

My handyman looked at me like I was crazy  when I had him install a key lock on my office closet/bourbon vault. I’m glad I did. It’s already paid for itself in ducking wife side eyes. 

I’m drifting into junkie territory right now. I picked up a bottle of Maker’s Mark 46 Cask Strength and Rare Breed Rye while running an errand today. 

You just have a head start.  We will all get there at some point.  I’m just trying to figure out where I can store more bottles right now.  That is the only thing slowing me down at the moment.  

24 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

i have bottles in 3 main places.  i also have a bottle or 2 (typically waiting to be handed off or shipped) in some odd places.  when the wife notices one of the 3 main places getting overcrowded but hasn't yet seen the other assorted stashes.

Meme Wtf GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i have bottles in 3 main places.  i also have a bottle or 2 (typically waiting to be handed off or shipped) in some odd places.  when the wife notices one of the 3 main places getting overcrowded but hasn't yet seen the other assorted stashes.

Meme Wtf GIF

When we moved my wife was dumbstruck to see the full collection in the light of day. 90+ bottles, I had some very clever ratholes at our former loft. She was pissed for about 5 minutes, but got over it because I bought her a house. Gotta strike while the pan is hot. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:

I have about 275 or so bottles at last inventory in 3 separate stashes. Wife knows about all of them though because the stashes aren't hidden at all. She bitches a tiny bit when I come home with more but what can you do.

drink more collect less

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Sorry for the dumb question but as a general rule while enjoying multiple pours of different whiskeys is better to start with the less hard to get stuff and work your way to the higher end or is it more around proof?

I start with the more rare stuff so I can actually taste it, bourbon like wine tends to numb the taste buds after a few

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Sorry for the dumb question but as a general rule while enjoying multiple pours of different whiskeys is better to start with the less hard to get stuff and work your way to the higher end or is it more around proof?

I’m a little different. Unless it’s a daily drinker, when I open a bottle I finish it before moving on to the next one. It’s about 90% in my head, but oxidizing in rare bourbon bugs me. I really taste it in wheaters like W12. 

If you’re having trouble with high proof bourbons, I’d open the bottle, pour it, and let it rest for 30 minutes. Then let your bottle sit for about 2 weeks to a month. It’ll open it some. 

I’d also suggest using a glencairn. You don’t need anything more expensive. I know plenty of guys with good collections that use highball glasses. There’s a reason bourbon tastings use glencairns. It’s much easier to nose the bourbon. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I keep telling myself that I'm gonna slow down on purchases. But then I got in to rye. So I've purchased around 10-12 rye bottles over the last couple of weeks. Today I bought a Hibiki Harmony. Gandorf already got me on Nikka.  Goddamnit. 

What kind of ryes are you getting into? 

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What kind of ryes are you getting into? 

So fare I've purchased:

WMND

High West Double Rye (2 different store picks)

Rare Breed Rye

Russell's Reserve SiB Rye

Willet 4 year 

Michter's Straight Rye

OF Rye

Regular Sazerac

Pikesville

Any recs are appreciated. 

1 hour ago, ISUCyclones said:

I have about 275 or so bottles at last inventory in 3 separate stashes. Wife knows about all of them though because the stashes aren't hidden at all. She bitches a tiny bit when I come home with more but what can you do.

Bravo sir.  My wife doesn't even have that many shoes... 

Where the hell do you keep them?

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

So fare I've purchased:

WMND

High West Double Rye (2 different store picks)

Rare Breed Rye

Russell's Reserve SiB Rye

Willet 4 year 

Michter's Straight Rye

OF Rye

Regular Sazerac

Pikesville

Any recs are appreciated. 

Good list. All of the classic shelfers and MWND. If you need more Rare Breed Rye, PM me. I’d add Bulleit 12 Year Rye. Not my favorite, but good MGP rye for $54. 

EHT Rye is probably my favorite “non-allocated” rye. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Good list. All of the classic shelfers and MWND. If you need more Rare Breed Rye, PM me. I’d add Bulleit 12 Year Rye. Not my favorite, but good MGP rye for $54. 

EHT Rye is probably my favorite “non-allocated” rye. 

Rare Breed Rye is still pretty available (for now), but I'll probably get a back up. Have read that people are blending their Rare Breed & Rare Breed Rye and the results are great. Might have to do that. 

EHT Rye is an automatic buy for me, but I've only see the Small Batch at stores. 

1 hour ago, stork642 said:

I'm still pretty new to this, but I bought 4 Glencairns and started doing blind tests with 4 different bottles to get better at identifying noses/palates/finishes. By the time I'm done I have a nice buzz and don't have to worry about an order with regards to proof. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, ISUCyclones said:

And my wife has been giving me shit for my ~25 bottle stash.. 

Found out yesterday that one of my local stores has the dumbest possible system for allocated bottles.  You have to find a manager and ask them if they have something.  Only then will they tell you and you can have one.  But they don't have a list of any allocated bottles.  And they won't just tell you what they have.  You have to guess.  And the really good stuff (Blanton's and up) doesn't get sold through the allocations.  It gets auctioned off at the end of the year.

Fucking stupid.  I hate the way that store operates but they have the best wine buyer around and the best sake selection so I end up there fairly regularly.

14 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Found out yesterday that one of my local stores has the dumbest possible system for allocated bottles.  You have to find a manager and ask them if they have something.  Only then will they tell you and you can have one.  But they don't have a list of any allocated bottles.  And they won't just tell you what they have.  You have to guess.  And the really good stuff (Blanton's and up) doesn't get sold through the allocations.  It gets auctioned off at the end of the year.

Fucking stupid.  I hate the way that store operates but they have the best wine buyer around and the best sake selection so I end up there fairly regularly.

I guess they see this as a way to engage directly with the customer to try and build longstanding relationships? I'd boycott that behavior pretty quickly. Good bourbon isn't worth groveling or playing go fish.

25 minutes ago, Eggo said:

I guess they see this as a way to engage directly with the customer to try and build longstanding relationships? I'd boycott that behavior pretty quickly. Good bourbon isn't worth groveling or playing go fish.

Yeah, and it definitely felt like groveling.  I called them first about MWND because I was going to drive past in a few minutes and the guy on the phone says they don't talk about allocated bottles on the phone.  I bought it on the shelf at that store last year so I didn't know they allocated it, but that's a different story.  So I show up and talk to the same guy.  Tell him I'm the one he just talked to on the phone and asked how their allocated bottles work.  He explained it to me, so I asked if they had MWND.  He said yes and then just looked at me.  I said "Can I have one?" and only then did he react and went to get it.  Why the fuck would I be asking about it if I didn't want one?  

Not a fan at all.

Edited by Chewbacca

In a way, I blame the mouth breathing flippers who come into the store taking pictures of the shelves and then spending the next 30 minutes staring or talking on the phone to determine if there's a buy. Store employees have got to get sick of it, but these motherfuckers think they're hot shit because they have something you might want and can decide whether or not to give it to you. There's a store here in San Antonio that has a bottle of GTS behind the counter and when I've asked about it, they give me some fucking smirk as if to say "You can't afford it" and say they get more value out of having an expensive bottle and not selling it. One of these days, I'm going to go in and pay double for it just to fuck with them...but then they'd have a lot of my money.

9 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, and it definitely felt like groveling.  I called them first about MWND because I was going to drive past in a few minutes and the guy on the phone says they don't talk about allocated bottles on the phone.  I bought it on the shelf at that store last year so I didn't know they allocated it, but that's a different story.  So I show up and talk to the same guy.  Tell him I'm the one he just talked to on the phone and asked how their allocated bottles work.  He explained it to me, so I asked if they had MWND.  He said yes and then just looked at me.  I said "Can I have one?" and only then did he react and went to get it.  Why the fuck would I be asking about it if I didn't want one?  

Not a fan at all.

And people complain about the three tier system in Texas...

4 hours ago, huge said:

I try to explain how my 20 “show” bottles isn’t shit in the grand scheme of things.

Although I think I’m up to 26.

I have a 105 open and 100 unopened.  But I’ve been doing a relatively decent job of trading multiples of mid level stuff in the $100-$200 secondary range for bottles in the $300-$400 secondary range, so there’s that.  Honestly my only regret is that going to whiskey bars is usually a disappointment now. 

8 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

CC90B9C6-65B7-4D08-8763-F436CE37A018.png

24 minutes ago, USCATX said:

I have a 105 open and 100 unopened.  But I’ve been doing a relatively decent job of trading multiples of mid level stuff in the $100-$200 secondary range for bottles in the $300-$400 secondary range, so there’s that.  Honestly my only regret is that going to whiskey bars is usually a disappointment now. 

My wife asked me if my collection was better than most bars. I chortled. 

• Like 1

Holy Hell this stuff is fantastic! Was $65 amd is a flavor bomb. I’m bad at tasting notes, best I can do is cinnamon and spice, almost some dark chocolate, coats the tongue and lingers nicely. I’m not sure how to describe this, but I can feel the alcohol burn as almost an additional flavor as opposed to just heat. I might try to get a second tomorrow if they still have it.

AA44D704-9788-4CBA-917F-4AAF1A07FDA7.jpeg