Bourbon

Jimbaround

10 minutes ago, Eggo said:

If I had a daily drinker, it'd be Wild Turkey 101, but I have Rare Breed Rye in the decanter. Note: decanters aren't good for storing good whiskey, so you gotta drink it fast. 

I had never heard that about decanters.  Why?

I don't think they're necessary unless you want a show piece on your bar to impress guests. 
If you want a bottle to open up, I'd open it, drink the neck pour and revisit in a couple weeks. 

Neck pour is placebo effect, that is absolutely not a thing and one of the more dumb things I’ve ever read on the internet.

Now to the next order of business. If I had the time I would go back a few pages and find where for about six months straight all you did was squeal about “decanting” every fucking thing. Every. Fucking. Thing. Now it’s not necessary?

1 minute ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Neck pour is placebo effect, that is absolutely not a thing and one of the more dumb things I’ve ever read on the internet.

Now to the next order of business. If I had the time I would go back a few pages and find where for about six months straight all you did was squeal about “decanting” every fucking thing. Every. Fucking. Thing. Now it’s not necessary?

A few years back, I liked to decant the higher proof stuff. My palette have evolved. 

23 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

They don't keep air out of the bottle very well.  Glass on glass doesn't seal very well.  Also lots of old decanters have a high lead content in the glass, which may or may not leach out into the liquor.

I use decanters for wine only.  

I have some Thomas Handy 2017 in a decanter.  You are saying i need to move it to a bottle that seals.  Got it.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Just got lucky at TW and grabbed a returned bottle of EHT Straight Rye that was about to go back on the shelf.  I check the bottle with the sales guy and it was correct and appropriately sealed, so it doesn't seem like a scam return.  So why would someone return that?

The label/tube looks pretty similar to EH Taylor Small Batch. Maybe a rye hater accidentally grabbed one. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

On 11/25/2020 at 7:53 PM, Hank Kingsley said:

Hey @Jimbaround, I just want to apologize now for not being more into bourbon with you and @huge years ago. 

tenor.gif?itemid=4919175

It's probably better to come in now since you don't have the frame of reference to be enraged at the current prices of things.  God I miss the days of scouting the suburban Specs because no one knew you were supposed to buy the tall thin bottles (BATC).  I found multiple William Larure and George T Staggs on the shelves back then.

I bought a Pappy 15yr for a friends birthday from the case at the front of Smith street Specs.  It was $99 at the time and I didn't feel like splurging on the 20yr because it was $125.

Edited by Jimbaround
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

My dad drank plain old Ezra Brooks my whole life.  Do they have higher end options from that distillery?

as carl said, it's made by luxco.  there is old ezra 7 that i've never been able to locate, but gets high marks and isn't "supposed" to be very expensive.  there is also the new ezra brooks distillers collection, more info here:

https://thebourbonculture.com/whiskey-reviews/ezra-brooks-distillers-collection-single-barrel-bourbon-njbyc-2020/

luxco also makes rebel yell, which has a basic low end version and a rebel yell 10, that is also increasingly difficult to find near retail.  the 2 distillers collection that luxco released were ezra and rebel, and they were $35/$40 where i ordered them.  they're sold out now, but definitely didn't fly off the shelves.  i posted about them earlier in the thread (so did carl).

they're new, so they're probably ~ harder to find, but i thought they were both pretty good (i've only had one pour of each so far), and i'm sure they'll pop up at the spec's of the world at some point.

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

as carl said, it's made by luxco.  there is old ezra 7 that i've never been able to locate, but gets high marks and isn't "supposed" to be very expensive.  there is also the new ezra brooks distillers collection, more info here:

https://thebourbonculture.com/whiskey-reviews/ezra-brooks-distillers-collection-single-barrel-bourbon-njbyc-2020/

luxco also makes rebel yell, which has a basic low end version and a rebel yell 10, that is also increasingly difficult to find near retail.  the 2 distillers collection that luxco released were ezra and rebel, and they were $35/$40 where i ordered them.  they're sold out now, but definitely didn't fly off the shelves.  i posted about them earlier in the thread (so did carl).

they're new, so they're probably ~ harder to find, but i thought they were both pretty good (i've only had one pour of each so far), and i'm sure they'll pop up at the spec's of the world at some point.

Was there a significant price increase of Rebel Yell 10 Year SiB? I remember paying $50 for it and now it’s $75 at Total Wine. 

I might buy another bottle to keep at least two on the shelf, but it’d be tough for me to recommend it at that price. 

Just now, Party_Taco said:

Yes, RY10 is trending higher but believe that’s retailers and not MSRP.

$59 at Spec’s all summer long on the shelf.  I had two backups so I didn’t grab more, but rumor has it that flow has been cut off by Heaven Hill so maybe I should have. 

29 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

seeing a lot of the doc swinsons out there, which is a 15 year heaven hill.  havent been inclined to fork over the $150 yet though.

Total Wine guy tried to scam me on Archives Heaven Hill 10 Years American Whiskey. Cask strength Heaven Hill aged for 6 years in Kentucky and then another 4 years in Scotland. The MSRP was a cool $120. Pass. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

If a bottle is $100+ and the stores are fully stocked with it then I'm passing. 

I haven't purchased a Whistle Pig out of sheer spite. 

i'm opting out of all whistle pig and barrel bourbons from now on.  it's not that they're bad, just tried enough and am uninspired by them.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

i'm opting out of all whistle pig and barrel bourbons from now on.  it's not that they're bad, just tried enough and am uninspired by them.

I haven't bought a Barrel either. I heard some are good, but I don't give a shit. I hate their pricing, labeling, and overabundance of options. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I haven't bought a Barrel either. I heard some are good, but I don't give a shit. I hate their pricing, labeling, and overabundance of options. 

it's barrell, with 2 l's.  it's like they got together and decided to name it the most confusing possible name for a bourbon.  it's like launching a vodka and naming it "tonic".

2 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

i have one bottle of each, both with 1-2 pours missing.

since i've been purchasing more and shuffling my storage, the barrell has been relegated to the shelf of shame, so i don't have to see it when i walk by.  the whistlepig is still visible in the bourbon cabinet, but i got my fucking eye on you, pig.

3 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I've never once heard Barrell being good. Sometimes someone will try to hype one like Dovetail, but the longer it is out, enough people try it, and realize it's overpriced and mediocre. 

I treat Barrell like Texas Bourbon. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I picked up a bottle of Old Scout Cask Strength SiB Rye. Please tell me this is good. I haven't seen too many reviews. 

Motherfucker you told me to buy a bottle and I did, and now I find out you haven't tried it?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Motherfucker you told me to buy a bottle and I did, and now I find out you haven't tried it?

Haha. I need more positive reinforcement. 

@heyitswhiskeytime on Instagram loved it. The dude has an amazing collection, and felt the need to single out Old Scout Cask Strength Rye SiB. 

6 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Barrell Dovetail was one of the nastiest things I’ve ever put in my mouth. Tried a few other offerings and firmly decided to never even look at a bottle from them ever again.

Never got the WP hype either. Went to Turtle Creek Mansion a few years ago and had some Boss Hogg and was very unimpressed.

I actually liked the Boss Hog, but I was drinking free pours at a work event, which undoubtedly colored my judgment.  I wouldn't pay anything near what it goes for at retail, but I did like it.

The only other Whistlepig product I've tried is the cask-finished rye, and it's merely okay at its price.

9 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

Please pardon my ignorance. 

I was messing with you. Just ask them. 

I’m not sure if it’s a true meritocracy, it’s probably not. However, I know some stores are cracking down and keep a strict numbered list. 

Honestly, I think you’re better off giving a guy a Total Wine your card and $100 to tip you off when they get a truck. Total allegedly puts everything below BTAC and Pappy on the shelf. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 hour ago, NOMAAA said:

How many points until you are on “the list” at specs? Explain specs to my like I’m 5. 

Fuck specs. That’s my explanation. Fuck them and their associates pushing Doc Holiday Frio River Texas Six-gun blended Texas Whiskey in the aisles.
Fuck specs. don’t give Specs money.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

I was messing with you. Just ask them. 
I’m not sure if it’s a true meritocracy, it’s probably not. However, I know some stores are cracking down and keep a strict numbered list. 
Honestly, I think you’re better off giving a guy a Total Wine your card and $100 to tip you off when they get a truck. Total allegedly puts everything below BTAC and Pappy on the shelf. 

So about a month and a half ago, around the time TW sent out the most recent Rare Whiskeys raffle email, I was joking about what a scam it was with a buddy. He and his wife are big into wine as well, so he used a wine concierge person there or whatever. He was trying to leverage that guy to see if his wine snob status could trickle over to the allocated bourbon side, but that idea for squashed quick. The guy also said that the rumblings he’s heard is that they’re going to stop putting the EHTs, Blantons, Weller 12, etc. on the shelf at all. Said they’re likely to start including those in an expanded raffle like they do with BTACs/Pappy stuff now. Makes sense since I’m pretty sure Blantons was one of the freakin options when I did my preference selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk