Bourbon

Jimbaround

5 minutes ago, huge said:

Looks like it’s someone at JD did the picking.

It’s very good.

Normally the store has someone pick between several taste profiles or barrels, and the person picking is either the manager or owner of the store, a whiskey guy at the store if it’s a bigger store, a regular customer who gives a ton of whiskey business, or sometimes they’ll get a somm to do it 

28 minutes ago, Fud said:

Normally the store has someone pick between several taste profiles or barrels, and the person picking is either the manager or owner of the store, a whiskey guy at the store if it’s a bigger store, a regular customer who gives a ton of whiskey business, or sometimes they’ll get a somm to do it 

I understand the concept of a store pick.

This one says MASTER DISTILLER SELECTED on it.  That was a new one for me.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, USCATX said:

“Master Distiller Selected” indeed.  They means the store took what Brown Forman sent them.  

Bingo. 

Store picks don’t  necessarily involve an elaborate trip to Kentucky to find the honey barrels. A lot of stores get sent samples in the mail and they pick their favorite. I know for a fact that Village Liquor in Houston did this with their Russell’s Reserve SiB pick. Consequently, it wasn’t that good. 

I tip my hat to the mom and pop stores that actually go to Kentucky and make picks. It’s not cheap and it certainly isn’t easy. 

I’m sure BigD and Bert, if he emerges from the Witness Protection Program, can enlighten us further on the different store pick methods. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Bingo. 
Store picks don’t  necessarily involve an elaborate trip to Kentucky to find the honey barrels. A lot of stores get sent samples in the mail and they pick their favorite. I know for a fact that Village Liquor in Houston did this with their Russell’s Reserve SiB pick. Consequently, it wasn’t that good. 
I tip my hat to the mom and pop stores that actually go to Kentucky and make picks. It’s not cheap and it certainly isn’t easy. 

I’m sure BigD and Bert, if he emerges from the Witness Protection Program, can enlighten us further on the different store pick methods. 

I’ve got a club that burned a bridge with a liquor store they were planning to “split” a pick with. Props to them. Hold your standards high. That said, this Presidential Dram store pick from Liquor King in Dallas is MGP goodness.8c78d26fe84b6c72f00add7a46385f44.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Bingo. 

Anyone know where the MDS Old forrestor pick is from? I have tried around 10 different OF BS SIB bottles now and that is still my favorite.. thankful to have half a bottle. 

Have heard a lot of good things about the JD MDS... need to try it. but never had a JD i care for. 

Oh this is something.
It’s Texas through and through.
It’s a blend of IronRoot, Lone Elm, and Balcones.
The Balcones Pot Still worried me at first, but it’s pretty tasty.
Really looking forward to taste how this changes.
It’s got a ton of potential.
Glad I bought one.
It’ll be in stores in late April.
8422c93252ba42df56f097f5ee88c84f.jpg

12 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Oh this is something.
It’s Texas through and through.
It’s a blend of IronRoot, Lone Elm, and Balcones.
The Balcones Pot Still worried me at first, but it’s pretty tasty.
Really looking forward to taste how this changes.
It’s got a ton of potential.
Glad I bought one.
It’ll be in stores in late April.
8422c93252ba42df56f097f5ee88c84f.jpg

I Don'T Believe You Remake GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Ascot is in Dallas.

image.thumb.png.36525b89ffb98bade48f2fcc0c9f1839.png

That fucker has an ascot doesn't he ?!  He's wearing and ascot, but the fat fucks shirt is hanging out like he's just come back from the John, and forgot to tuck. Fuck him, and I don't know him from Adam.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

Had some Thomas Handy tonight for the first time. Holy cow, Great Great stuff.

It’s special stuff indeed - Makes one heck of a cocktail too if you’re feeling generous.

Had a nice 1-2 punch myself tonight. Saw Booker’s Rye on the rail for the first time and couldn’t resist. Was easily the hottest rye I’ve had to date but the finish was mighty clean. There was too much going on at dinner to allow tasting notes to come through, but it was certainly delicious. At $150 a pour however (JFC...) I cannot recommend.

Moved on to ETL afterwards, where the barman was feeling more generous, and that did the trick.

Maybe I’m just becoming a pussy, but I have a bunch of rye here at home that’s better... and won’t cost you a kidney.

47 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

It’s special stuff indeed - Makes one heck of a cocktail too if you’re feeling generous.

Had a nice 1-2 punch myself tonight. Saw Booker’s Rye on the rail for the first time and couldn’t resist. Was easily the hottest rye I’ve had to date but the finish was mighty clean. There was too much going on at dinner to allow tasting notes to come through, but it was certainly delicious. At $150 a pour however (JFC...) I cannot recommend.

Moved on to ETL afterwards, where the barman was feeling more generous, and that did the trick.

Maybe I’m just becoming a pussy, but I have a bunch of rye here at home that’s better... and won’t cost you a kidney.

Ha, damn.  I’ve wanted to try that since passing it up for something like $58/pour at a speakeasy in Charlotte. Now that it’s going for $70/oz secondary that price you paid doesn’t seem insane.  Thanks for cutting down a bit of my FOMO.  

• Like 1

I feel that these Texas bourbon is good articles can be attributed to puff pieces like this https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.texasmonthly.com/food/texas-whiskey-booming/amp/

Balmorhea and Whitmeyer’s Bourbon/Rye store picks are the only non-drain pours. 

I mean this stuff isn’t that hard. Distill and age the product in the Davis Mountains. Have a tasting room in Austin. Slap made in Texas labels all over it. Profit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Thoughts on these? A customer made a Texas trip and picked them up.

36e45c576a1dd5240d350fbee4a27771.jpg

he's missing about 20 from his texas bourbon collection.  i'm in the minority on this board in thinking texas bourbons aren't terrible, they just arent noteworthy.   i would rate them with any of the value kentucky bourbons like elijah craig, buffalo trace, or makers mark.  they're good for $25-30.

13 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

I’m sorry, which Texas bourbons match up to Buffalo Trace? It may be a value pour, but it’s better than 85% of what’s on the shelf on any given day.

yeah, i didnt word that right.  those three $25-30 kentucky bourbons are better quality than any texas bourbon other than garrisons.  i only meant that when see a texas bourbon on the shelf you have the same meh response as when you see those three.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/1/2021 at 5:19 PM, Party_Taco said:

a0d5079f5b1237bbbb344e046bec94bc.jpg

Hello, new friends... very nice to meet you!

I have all those open and approve.  The Boone County Wheated is about the best quality to secondary price ratio bourbon available. Can’t figure out why it doesn’t get more play. 

• Like 1

I haven't tried any of those.  You're saying the Hancock's is the best?  

The PHC is fucking phenomenal, but it’s not something I can sit down and have more than a pour or two of in one sitting. I typically gravitate towards stuff in the 100-120 proof but I can drink Hancock’s all damn night if given the opportunity.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1