Bourbon

Jimbaround

3 hours ago, TxTower said:

I really liked IV. Better than Bardstown IV IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fusion or discovery 4?  watch your step youngster.  i've never cared for remus or any of the mgp juices, and have been pretty impressed with both of the bardstown series so far, at least the ones i've tried.

2 minutes ago, drt said:

Old forester 150 anniversary batch proof. Opinions and experiences? Seems steep at $180

I’ve heard it’s underwhelming. I think $180 is still below secondary, but there are other hitter bottles to be had for $150. Bardstown Discovery 3 and 4, Woodford Batch Proof mentioned earlier fit this bill. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

fusion or discovery 4?  watch your step youngster.  i've never cared for remus or any of the mgp juices, and have been pretty impressed with both of the bardstown series so far, at least the ones i've tried.

Discovery 4 is about $80-90 more expensive, but a fantastic bottle. 

Discovery 4 sadly. Maybe I got a bad bottle but was disappoint especially after the good reviews and the $100+ price point. Will try another bottle when I get a chance.

I’m 60. Does “youngster” still apply?

36 minutes ago, H_Boogie said:

This based on a Total Wine email today? Lol

Ya. Buddy got the email, not me. He asked my opinion because it wasn’t high on his list, I told him he should snag it and trade for something he does want. Seems to be the prevailing opinion. 

Ya. Buddy got the email, not me. He asked my opinion because it wasn’t high on his list, I told him he should snag it and trade for something he does want. Seems to be the prevailing opinion. 

Figured that was the case. I hit back to back drawings and got a Parker’s Heritage this time that I’ll be keeping. Another buddy hit for that Blade & Bow 22 yr and is probably going the flip route.

47 minutes ago, TxTower said:

Discovery 4 sadly. Maybe I got a bad bottle but was disappoint especially after the good reviews and the $100+ price point. Will try another bottle when I get a chance.

I’m 60. Does “youngster” still apply?

I would bet IV over Disco 4 in a blind taste. 

I need to become one of Buzzrock’s customers....:

Went to dinner after. You get excited about taking clients out again, but you forget about the four hour dinners where they order drinks, apps, salads, entrees, wine, dessert, more drinks, and you have to try to remain interested the whole time.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anyone got the skinny on this bad boy?

7592438a74097aee2dc8b23ac80dc43c.png

I have the most recent release. Everything Barrell does is worth checking out. This is a really good pour, but at a tough price point. I’d be hard pressed to tell you that it’s 2.5x better than any of their most recent batches. 25 an 26 were both outstanding, and sold for around $90.

I think the 15 year is better than both, but it’s a decently close call.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

A buddy sent me a sample of Old Carter cask strength 13 year single barrel. It was like drinking unicorn tears. Too bad I’ve never seen any Old Carter in Texas. 

He also sent me a sample of Old Forrester 117, so that will be fun to try as well. I hear it’s much better than the OF 150 bottles that dropped last year. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Huh. To each their own. I've never had one that I didn't enjoy, and more than a few have been absolutely great. In particular 8b, 25, 26, and batch 3 of the Rye were standouts. I like my bottle of the 15 year, but I also didn't pay for it, which helps out a ton. 

I have the most recent release. Everything Barrell does is worth checking out. This is a really good pour, but at a tough price point. I’d be hard pressed to tell you that it’s 2.5x better than any of their most recent batches. 25 an 26 were both outstanding, and sold for around $90.

I think the 15 year is better than both, but it’s a decently close call.

That price point is pretty tough... can get some solid juice for $250

41 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

That price point is pretty tough... can get some solid juice for $250

No question. But it has prevented the secondary market from materializing. You could buy a lot of great stuff at $250 retail....but you can't find damn near any of it. 

Still, I'd point people to the standard batches for a much better value. I still see 25's and 26's hanging out at Total Wine, and those bottles are great and are less than half the price. 

• Like 1

Annual fly fishing trip this weekend, the Tribute to red meat, and brown liquor weekend Vol. 18. The OF family was on the menu for the weekend along with the regular standards Blantons, Eagle rare, Bulleit, EH Taylor, Makers.  Had Michters small batch for the first time, damn good stuff. It's going in the rotation. 

Lamb chops, venison sausage, Bacon wrapped venison chunks, smoked pork butts, tuna steaks, NY strips, and assorted other meat offerings were had by all. 

FullSizeRender-287 copy 2.jpg

FullSizeRender-287 copy.jpg

FullSizeRender-287.jpg

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

I’d have to imagine this won’t be available in TX as you can’t buy liquor at grocery stores?

They could section off a few square feet as a separate entity like Costco does, but I’m guessing they would need to sell more than bourbon to make that worthwhile.